• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police at UC Davis pepper spray faces/mouths of peaceful student protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexi

Banned
I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to say there is NO way Manos is a lawyer. Any lawyer who is that much of a police apologist is lying about being a lawyer.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm late to this thread but I just wanted to say there is NO way Manos is a lawyer. Any lawyer who is that much of a police apologist is lying about being a lawyer.

What if he works for the government? I don't know if he does, but attorneys who work for the government seem to me to be less critical of the police. Especially if they all ultimately report to the same head of local government.

lexi

Banned
Well sure if less critical = being okay with brutalizing nonviolent passive people. Would a government attorney look at that footage and be okay with it?

It's already boggling that my mind that we actually have people on this forum who can see this footage, see that it contradicts entirely what the police say happened, and be okay with it.

Infuriating.

Wazzim

Banned
Meh, I believe he is one. His posts don't seem really in correlation with the law but like someone said: he may be working for some specific institutions, who knows.

Jenga

Banned
Meh, I believe he is one. His posts don't seem really in correlation with the law but like someone said: he may be working for some specific institutions, who knows.
i get 5 bux by apple on each to ridicule their fanbase in order to get them to spite me and spend another 1,500 on a overpriced computer

i think manos argues for the sake of arguing. im not convinced he fundamentally believes half of what he says, he just likes to argue with people and rile folks up.

I don't think so, the cop should be jailed (like that'll happen LOL police accountability), she should just not be in that position anymore.

She ordered the police action. I'd like to see her and the cop both spend the rest of their lives in jail.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
"I'm working with the greater faculty body," she said. "I really want to work with members of our community, the staff and the faculty to take our institution out of this crisis."

The faculty is asking for you to removed lol. What is this "greater faculty body"?

Fusebox

Banned

A lawyer with a level of English that barely meets college standards? I don't mean to be overly harsh but if he's a lawyer I'm a rocket surgeon.

I'm gonna go with theignoramous on this, I think Manos is a world-class stirrer, and kudos to him if so, he sure knows how to press my buttons.

A lawyer with a level of English that barely meets college standards? I don't mean to be overly harsh but if he's a lawyer I'm a rocket surgeon.

I'm gonna go with theignoramous on this, I think Manos is a world-class stirrer, and kudos to him if so, he sure knows how to press my buttons.
His knowledge of the law seems limited to what one could learn from watching Law and Order and reading gun-nut websites. Also, calling his writing college level is overly generous; his grammar and punctuation is more akin to a third grader's. If he's a lawyer, I feel sorry for his clients.

Zoe

Who in their right mind would believe that approaching en masse and surrounding the police would be resolved peacefully?

Draft

Who in their right mind would believe that approaching en masse and surrounding the police would be resolved peacefully?
Who thought that sending in a bunch of armor clad cops to bust up a protest would end peacefully?

Well, this changes things.

Another reminder not to use social media as a source of information.

Certainly does. Surrounding the cops could easily been considered threatening, and all the childish screaming and chanting (fuck the police from Davis to Greece?) doesn't look good either. Cops give them plenty of opportunity to move, they choose not to, cops use pepper spray. I have no problem with that. These ""occupy Wallstreet" buffoons have proven themselves to be nothing but scattered brain self-entitled children.

KHarvey16

Regardless of how justified you think the arrests were, surrounding the police and telling them they cannot leave unless they release those detained is extremely foolish.

Fusebox

Banned
Regardless of how justified you think the arrests were, surrounding the police and telling them they cannot leave unless they release those detained is extremely foolish.

Agreed, and if the police had used the pepper-spray at that moment on those people this might have been a different discussion, but using the pepper-spray as a form of punishment on a bunch of students sitting down is still inexcusable.

KHarvey16

Agreed, and if the police had used the pepper-spray at that moment on those people this might have been a different discussion, but using the pepper-spray as a form of punishment on a bunch of students sitting down is still inexcusable.

They use it on students blocking the path of that cruiser. Most of them got up and moved because the car was right there and the pepper spray was being shaken up.

Kinyou

Really changes things, I mean they got pepper sprayed because they wouldn't let the police leave and not because of their overall protest.

Though I wonder why they just didn't call backup which then would clear a path from the outside.

Fusebox

Banned
Yep.

So, the cops followed protocol and gave several verbal warnings prior to using force sanctioned by their training?

Who needs training to do this?

273697-pepper-spraying-cop.jpg

Kinyou

There was a car and other cops approaching from the outside before the spraying started.

Ah I see, one of the policemen from the outside is even trying to remove one of the girls. Just hard to tell if he does it because he doesn't want her to get peppersprayed or to clear a path.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey I agree, the protesters were being dicks, but "We want to drive our car down this particular bit of pavement" is no excuse for nonchalantly pepper-spraying a bunch of seated students.

KHarvey16

Hey I agree, the protesters were being dicks, but "We want to drive our car down this particular bit of pavement" is no excuse for nonchalantly pepper-spraying a bunch of seated students.

They had the police and those detained surrounded in a circle. Again, the only reason those people remained seated there was to block that bit of pavement and prevent the car from entering. If the cops wanted to drive on the grass, they'd have sat there.

the cop goes to every single person and personally tells them that they are going to get sprayed and they all say that they understand. protestors were stupid

royalan

Protests. How do they work?

I'm all for exercising your right to protest, but our gung-ho, college-aged youth really needs to understand that the point of your protest gets lost in the shuffle every time you allow it to become about squaring off with the cops.

You can clearly see halfway through this video that the students completely give up on the original goal of the protest just to antagonize the police. I'm sorry but, what the hell did they think was going to happen?

This one screen says it all:

GMV1D.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom