• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unwarranted optimism doesn't seem more valuable than warranted pessimism, if the end result is the same regardless.

That isn't really the same as saying give up. But lol Kentucky.

So you don't think we should go after Colorado, North Carolina, Georgia, Maine and maybe Iowa in 2020? Just say lol okay to Colorado and call it a day? Because that's what that post in was response to.

Looking at opportunities is different than saying Misty Snow will be the next senator from Utah.

I think it's unlikely, unless major cities like Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, etc start seeing the type of growth Atlanta has been seeing for a while. I really doubt that white Southerners would be willing to give up their power over black people in their states.

FWIW, Nashville is having a bit of a renaissance. Not to the degree Atlanta is growing probably, but there is a lot of coalescing in the cities in that area, as well as tech business growth.

Vimes

Elon Musk is a Friend but not an Ally. He treats many of his employees like shit, but has many of the right ideas in mind for Policy.

Edit: I don't mind having Technocrats be part of the Democratic Party.

If anything the silicon valley set needs to be exposed to the kind of people who make policy. I think that would benefit both.

FWIW, Nashville is having a bit of a renaissance. Not to the degree Atlanta is growing probably, but there is a lot of coalescing in the cities in that area, as well as tech business growth.

Yeah, based on population growth in Nashville I could easily see Tennessee becoming what Georgia currently is in about 10-15 years.

(although Trump won TN bigly last year, so maybe not.)

Trump's vote share was about the same size as Romney's, but Hillary dropped five points from Obama there.

Which is a wash overall. We could maybe improve there with other candidates but if Trump didn't see a major decline then no Republican would.

I still think you could push on Memphis. It's so close to MS that it actually helps us out if it doesn't help TN.

I mean, I don't think Tennessee is a real opportunity unless some suburban district goes GA-6 on us, which I find unlikely.

I just was curious if anything happened since most southern states stayed basically the same iirc.

I mean, I don't think Tennessee is a real opportunity unless some suburban district goes GA-6 on us, which I find unlikely.

I just was curious if anything happened since most southern states stayed basically the same iirc.
Hopefully MLS expands to Nashville

Build a soccer stadium, the godless coastal hipsters will come

Right, it certainly wouldn't happen anytime soon. Give it 15 years of growth in Nashville though and TN could be R+6 like GA is right now.

Kevinroc

I also think we should be vigilant. I think Topher Spiro has the right attitude.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/870806957048950784

1: With recent comments by Senators Burr and Johnson, it appears the Senate Trumpcare bill is faltering. But appearances can be deceiving…

2: I don’t think the comments are part of some grand strategy to lower expectations. They seemed organic and off-the-cuff to me.

3: The comments conflict with the message they were pushing before recess—when they leaked they were beginning to write the bill.

4: The comments also conflict with rumors they’re rushing to have a vote in June. So no, there’s no coordinated strategy here.

5: Rather, the comments are truthy: they’re having a *really* hard time. Which is good news: your pressure is working!

6: But here’s the thing: it’s not over. We’ve seen this movie before.

7: Remember when they failed in the House—then Zombie Trumpcare came back to life? It can happen again.

8: In legislating, many times things have to fall apart before they come together.

9: As I’ve said many, many times, they’re going to try to pull an Upton on us. And they’ll hand out special deals left and right.

10: My prediction is they will bring a bill to the floor for a vote no matter what—whether they have the votes or not.

11: The reason is they need finality, one way or another, so they can move on.

12: And when that vote occurs—you never know what will happen. Even if it seems futile, strange things happen under pressure.

13: It’s a jump ball situation. It will be intense and scary. All we can control is what we do now.

14: Assume there will be a vote. Assume it’s just weeks away. Assume that your visit to a local office or call will make a difference.

15: Because you never know. What if this person had not talked to Sen. Murkowski—who could very well be the tipping vote?

DBW9NiaXsAA5QXA.jpg:large

(The Murkowski story referenced.)

I fear that they are setting up for a sneak attack. If their main obstacle is public outcry, convincing people that no bill will be passed is their simplest way to reduce that outcry.
Of course the best way to reduce outcry would be to write a bill that isn't monstrously evil, but the that's a non starter

Telling everyone that a bill won't happen is a win, win. If it doesn't happen, then they were smart politicians who correctly read things, if it happens then they are heroes who did the impossible through a dirty bold sneak attack political gambit.

Kevinroc

It's dying in the Senate because the House literally only passed it so that Donald Trump could throw himself a pity party.

I think that is a possibility. But it's not over 'till it's over. That's why it wouldn't surprise me if we saw some AHCA craziness coming our way.

If they're having a hard time even starting the bill right now, and 3 randoms are pretty sure it'll never get done this year (who wouldn't really have any reason to lie and pretend everything is going great), let alone this month, why would anyone expect a sudden vote in June? The CBO estimate will take at least a few weeks at minimum, and then it has to pass reconciliation review which is some more time. If it was happening in June, the bill would be near finished by now.

10: My prediction is they will bring a bill to the floor for a vote no matter what—whether they have the votes or not.
This also makes no sense at all. If it doesn't have the votes it won't be put to a vote. It's only 52 people, not really hard to get a clear vote count before hand.

Arkeband

Banned
So Bill Maher just had his introductory interview with renowned douchebag Ben Sasse to bond over their shared hatred of millenials when, for some reason, Ben Sasse offered to Bill Maher the opportunity to visit Nebraska and "work in the fields with us", to which Bill Maher paused and replied "Work in the fields...? Senator... I'm a house n*****."

https://twitter.com/jus1nyt/status/870827978179006464

Was gonna make a thread about it but not really worth it unless it actually blows up into a story. Hard to tell if the left or the right will chase it harder at this point.

So Bill Maher just had his introductory interview with renowned douchebag Ben Sasse to bond over their shared hatred of millenials when, for some reason, Ben Sasse offered to Bill Maher the opportunity to visit Nebraska and "work in the fields with us", to which Bill Maher paused and replied "Work in the fields...? Senator... I'm a house n*****."

Was gonna make a thread about it but not really worth it unless it actually blows up into a story. Hard to tell if the left or the right will chase it harder at this point.

I do not like Bill Maher. I think he is a bad person who does bad things for bad reasons.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

If you're not black, don't say the n-word.

This is literally the easiest rule a progressive can follow. And yet...

What the fuck is his problem...

Like what the fuck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

*headdesk*

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Can HBO just give his show to Jon Stewart already?

Arkeband

Banned
What the fuck is his problem...

Like what the fuck.

I tend to watch Real Time for the occasional interesting panel discussion, but Bill's gotten so pithy about his audience's reactions to his jokes and he's failed to moderate and actively derails into anti-Islam rhetoric that it's starting to become clear that this program would be fine or better without him at this point. He's flubbed more punchlines this season from his teleprompter that he's had all week to practice than I can count on both hands. And clearly his on-the-spot joketelling compass is utterly fucked.

I just got a DNC survey and one section is on, "which aspects of the Trump presidency do you find most disturbing?" In that section is a series of radio boxes to check off with one being, "His early morning tweets." These are the absolute best thing about his presidency though, for multiple reasons.

I also think we should be vigilant. I think Topher Spiro has the right attitude.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/870806957048950784

DBW9NiaXsAA5QXA.jpg:large

(The Murkowski story referenced.)

What they say in public and how they appear is can be different while in private. They were really confident a few months ago about repealing ACA, but in private they were freaking out because they really couldn't do it.

Only a very few high level Republicans are pouring cold water on the healthcare bill so it could be that they are lowering expectations because somethings aren't going according to plan, but these things can be fluid. Trumpcare was revived mostly because Trump was determined to pass something.

I'm sorry man, California is just too out of reach. We need to shore up our base in West Virginia if we ever want the presidency back.

-- PoliGAF 88

That's actually not that far off from the position that the DLC (remember them?) took in the aftermath of the 1988 election. They didn't exactly say California was out of reach, but the idea that winning in western states like California could make up for losing the South was derided as "the California Dream."

On a somewhat related note it's interesting to note how the terrible performance of Democratic presidential candidates in the 80s masked favorable trends in many states, to the point where people were somewhat shocked to see Clinton carry "safe Republican" states like Vermont and New Jersey.

It was awesome for Ryan to force a vote on the AHCA and Trump to throw a kegger just to have the Senate literally punt the thing 18 months down the road. If they're worried about losing seats despite the D-heavy map in 2018, you know the situation is awful. No, really, thanks Ryan! Everyone in the House is on the record! Idiot. I cannot understate the level of political incompetence here.

I think we should think about regime change in Turkey.

A dictator that is willing to attempt an assassination on a US public figure is a dictator dangerous to US interests.

That's my breaking point. I hope his ass is thrown off the air. Fuck Bill Maher and his islamaphpbic nonsense. I also don't want to hear a damn word about him fighting the good fight

Good God. Make a thread about it. Bill Maher needs to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom