• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of toothless Hill-Billys (75,000 in Portland for OBAMA post #3599)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

Suikoguy said:
Looks like it, however I doubt it will be as bad as West Virginia.
The advantage to Kentucky, is it will be overshadowed by Oregon in the media (even though the delegates are the same). Not to mention he will clinch the pledged delegates that day.
Still losing by 30% is never fun. ;) But I suspect his victory speech will cause the media to not care.

KRS7

Suikoguy said:
The advantage to Kentucky, is it will be overshadowed by Oregon in the media

I think you are wrong here. While Oregon is much bigger, its mail-in ballot system prevents the media from conducting effective exit polling. Kentucky's exit polls will provide juicy demographic details that will allow the media to dissect the voting population. I think the media will focus far more of the discussion on Kentucky. And we will hear a lot about how Obama is losing working class whites.

Cheebs said:
None of those events involve him lol
Suikoguy said:
Looks like it, however I doubt it will be as bad as West Virginia.
The advantage to Kentucky, is it will be overshadowed by Oregon in the media (even though the delegates are the same). Not to mention he will clinch the pledged delegates that day.
Cheebs said:
Still losing by 30% is never fun. ;) But I suspect his victory speech will cause the media to not care.
I notice some of the news articles failed to mention that he was in Lousiville Monday night along with 10,000 supporters. I know he was planning another event but was called to the Senate.

Obama has a dedicated team in Kentucky that I believe will surprise some people. Kentucky will give Obama more delegates than he currently needs to win the majority of pledged delegates.

Loudninja

Dartastic said:
Two of those 33,500 people are my housemates. Whoops indeed. They did however, also receive a letter telling them not to send in both, and only send in the one with their latest information.

Hillary is 44:OMG Obama cheated in teh Oregon.

-Kees-

esbern said:
HRC-2e.jpg

She has Patrick Bateman hair.

Sen. Barack Obama plans to hold a triumphant rally in Iowa

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_9301083?nclick_check=1
ROSEBURG, Ore. - As the votes are being counted Tuesday night in Oregon and Kentucky, Sen. Barack Obama plans to hold a triumphant rally in Iowa, returning to the state that propelled him to the top of the Democratic field and sending a clear signal that he has shifted his focus to the general election.

Obama advisers said Iowa is one of several states, along with Missouri, Michigan and Florida, that they have targeted for wins in November and where they plan to campaign even before his primary battle against Sen. Hillary Clinton ends. Obama made campaign stops in Missouri and Michigan last week and plans a three-day swing through Florida starting Wednesday.

"John McCain has gone unchallenged for far too long, and we need to start laying out the argument that Barack Obama is the better choice," said Jen Psaki, an Obama spokeswoman, referring to the presumptive Republican nominee.

Isn't it ironic that it will likely be KY delegates that will put him over :D

GhaleonEB

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10428.html

Former Rep. Thomas G. Loeffler, a Texan who is among the McCain campaign’s most important advisers and fundraisers, has resigned as a national co-chair over lobbying entanglements, a Republican source told Politico on Sunday.

It’s at least the fifth lobbying-related departure from the campaign in a week.

The McCain campaign, already facing the prospect of being badly outgunned in the general election, now also must cope with the disruption of the lobbying shakeout.

The McCain campaign’s stringent approach to the issue is provoking a bit of grumbling from some of its Washington allies, who point out that a lobbyist’s function is enshrined in the Constitution.

“No one in real America cares,” said one key Republican. “But McCain cares.”

The senator, whose appeal to independent voters rests in part on his reformist image, recognizes that he will be held to a high standard in the coming campaign and wants to clean house before the general election formally kicks off, sources say.
And another one bites the dust. Only about 70 more to go.

KRS7

Loudninja said:
Hillary is 44:OMG Obama cheated in teh Oregon.

What the hell is this?

Hillaryis44 said:
[In deference to Senator Kennedy’s medical emergency we will postpone publication of Part III of Voting for Barack Obama until the appropriate time. There is a frank assessment of Senator Kennedy’s recent political judgment in the article which would not be respectful or decent at this immediate moment. We hope to continue the series as soon as Monday or until the Senator’s medical situation is clarified.]

Since when has that site ever care about being respectful or decent? I wonder what juicy details Part III will have.

Politico: Another Top McCain Official Resigns

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10428.html
"Former Rep. Thomas G. Loeffler, a Texan who is among the McCain campaign’s most important advisers and fundraisers, has resigned as a national co-chair over lobbying entanglements, a Republican source told Politico on Sunday.

It’s at least the fifth lobbying-related departure from the campaign in a week.

The McCain campaign, already facing the prospect of being badly outgunned in the general election, now also must cope with the disruption of the lobbying shakeout.

The McCain campaign’s stringent approach to the issue is provoking a bit of grumbling from some of its Washington allies, who point out that a lobbyist’s function is enshrined in the Constitution."
Pretty soon there won't be enough people in McCain headquarters to play bridge.

God I hate that he's conceding a state again like this. Once Michigan and Florida get seated it's going to look really bad if he loses the popular vote. Hope for big turnouts in the last two states for him or a bigger than expected win in Oregon to offset it. She's now within 80k of the popular vote....

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Has any reporter asked McCain about the c-word comment? That's complete malpractice not to do so and still confront Obama about stupid stuff like flag pins and being a muslim.

Loudninja

typhonsentra said:
God I hate that he's conceding a state again like this. Once Michigan and Florida get seated it's going to look really bad if he loses the popular vote. Hope for big turnouts in the last two states for him or a bigger than expected win in Oregon to offset it. She's now within 80k of the popular vote....

He wont lost the popular vote, also what is the point?He was going to lose there anyway, even if he did campaign, its no point in wasted time there right now.

ralexand said:
Has any reporter asked McCain about the c-word comment? That's complete malpractice not to do so and still confront Obama about stupid stuff like flag pins and being a muslim.

You probably can't even say that on TV so I'm not sure how they would present the question.

Have you ever said THIS word?! *holds up sheet of paper*

Loudninja said:
He want lost the popular vote, also what is the point?He was going to lose there anyway, even if he did campaign, its no point in wasted time there right now.

Some just can't wrap their heads around time prioritization. You put yourself in the areas that will make the most difference and send someone else to the rest...this has always been how campaigning works.

Loudninja said:
He want lost the popular vote, also what is the point?He was going to lose there anyway, even if he did campaign, its no point in wasted time there right now.
What? He wants to lose the popular vote?

GhaleonEB said:
I think he meant "won't".
Well it's getting close now, and if we see another West Virginia it's going to happen. There's no way he can win in Oregon by enough to offset Kentucky. It's the bigger state of the two and the margins are crazy.

Dartastic

Deus Ex Machina said:
Obama rally in Portland today at Waterfront Park will be amazing - estimated 30,000+

Kerry got ~ 35K at a rally at Waterfront back in 2004

Holy shit. Looks like I better put some clothes on and leave NOW. :D

GhaleonEB

typhonsentra said:
Well it's getting close now, and if we see another West Virginia it's going to happen. There's no way he can win in Oregon by enough to offset Kentucky. It's the bigger state of the two and the margins are crazy.
Turnout in Oregon will be much higher than Kentucky thanks to the vote by mail system. Election officials are predicting >75% ballot return rate, and over 2 million were sent out.

Quick math: if 75% of 2m are returned, and Obama wins by a 55 to 45 margin, the votes will be 825k to 675k, for a 150k vote margin for Obama. And those are conservative numbers all around; more than 2m ballots went out, returns will be higher than 75% and Obama will win by more than 10%.

All told he'll win Oregon by nearly 300k votes, I think. The popular vote totals on Tuesday will be similar.

Loudninja said:
She STILL did not make up from Obama wins in NC.
Yeah, but the day after tomorrow might change that. People probably won't give much consideration to the numbers in Puerto Rico one way or the other (Besides the diehard Hillary nuts) but once Michigan and Florida officially get seated those numbers will be a topic of discussion, especially if Obama is granted the uncommitted delegates there.

Tamanon

Banned
Either way, popular vote is a fiction. Hillary would have to win popular vote by a huge amount cleanly(without massaging stats) to justify superdelegates overturning the pledged delegate winner. Just try and win an election with your nominee basically flipping off the entire process and entire segments of your voting populace.

typhonsentra said:
So yes, if you count a state where neither campaigned and another where it was 328K to 0, then it's close.

Count Florida but not Michigan, and it's still 400K in his favor.

EDIT: Count Florida and Michigan and assume he even would've done half as well as Hillary had he been on the ballot in the latter, his lead would be 240K.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Turnout in Oregon will be much higher than Kentucky thanks to the vote by mail system. Election officials are predicting >75% ballot return rate, and over 2 million were sent out.

Quick math: if 75% of 2m are returned, and Obama wins by a 55 to 45 margin, the votes will be 825k to 675k, for a 150k vote margin for Obama. And those are conservative numbers all around; more than 2m ballots went out, returns will be higher than 75% and Obama will win by more than 10%.

All told he'll win Oregon by nearly 300k votes, I think. The popular vote totals on Tuesday will be similar.
Ghaleon shouldn't you be leaving for the Obama rally soon? Get going.

Dax01 said:
Wait. So it is certain that Florida and Michigan are going to be seated?

Edit:
Now that's more like it.
Pretty much. Dean's been browbeaten into promising this several times now.

And yay at Gallup! This ties for his best performance to date.

TDG

Banned
So, are we sticking with this thread for Kentucky/Oregon, or what?

Deus Ex Machina said:
That's more like it. I don't predict any more stream-crossage.

Deus Ex Machina said:
33,000 double ballots issued in Oregon -- oh oh!

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1211001907107530.xml&coll=7

People who changed their registration recently have wrongly received two ballots in the mail -- one under the old registration and one under the new registration.

Will there be a problem? Will some voters return two ballots? Will there be trouble counting them?
Old.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dax01 said:
Wait. So it is certain that Florida and Michigan are going to be seated?

Edit:
Now that's more like it.

Yeah but there is still going to be some penalty for them. The big theory going around is that they will only be able to seat half their delegates, which I think is the best way to do it. If they don't penalize them in some way,e very state will start moving their primaries around.

DrForester said:
Yeah but there is still going to be some penalty for them. The big theory going around is that they will only be able to seat half their delegates, which I think is the best way to do it. If they don't penalize them in some way,e very state will start moving their primaries around.
This decision is going to be made before the Democratic convention, right?

Sule

I almost had a heart attack while reading the comments on the previous page about the popular vote. I didn't know she was closing in on him.

Loudninja

Cheebs said:
She rank up A TOOOOOOON in the popular vote but no one thinks supers will change their mind due to puerto rico who doesnt even vote in the fall

The thing is, those votes wont be counted :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom