• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Do you own a 120hz display and will you use it?

Poll: Do you own a next gen console and a 120hz display?

• Total voters

ANIMAL1975

Despite being a very good TV, Q70R will not be able use PS5's VRR solution as it will be exclusive to HDMI 2.1 displays. Nonetheless a good TV though, good brightness good contrast :messenger_peace:
Shit are you sure about this? I can't check it right now but remember that it has some kind of VRR feature, so you saying that it's not the same as the hdmi2.1?

Just got an LG CX and I haven’t seen more than 60hz before so I am looking forward to trying it out. I would love to see something like f-zero or wipeout or fast racing games with 120 just to see what it’s like but I’m probably going to be happy enough with 60.

Cherrypepsi

I have an Alienware 240hz and an LG OLED B9

I tested Overwatch and CSGO (1080p / 120hz). no noticeable addition in input lag.
Even though the monitor is twice as fast as the TV, the overall clarity in motion looks indeed better on the OLED due to the lack of motion blur.
Unfortunately my RTX 2070 can't output 4k at 120hz, I can only imagine how great this is.

Really impressed with the OLED, I can only recommend it

I wanted to have a PS5 but at this point, I will just buy whichever console is available to me first. I just wanna play :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:
I'm surprised so many of you have top of the line TVs. I'm still rocking the 4k60 65" Samsung KS8000 I bought when the mid gen refreshes hit. I'm waiting for 2021/2022 for a new set when they iron out features.

Last edited:

Certinty

Only got an LG B8 but I'm someone who'll take a much better looking game at 30fps over a less good looking one at 60fps, so that should show my answer about 120fps right away.

regawdless

Banned
I have a 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor for my PC, which is amazing.

For console gaming, LG Nanocell 4k TV but it says it has 100hz "True Motion" whatever shit that means.

skneogaf

4k@120hz lg C9 but not sure I'd use ps5 or xbox series x in 120fps modes, I'd stick to 60fps on those.

On my pc I do though.

peetfeet

I’ll give it a try when the games allow but not too fussed atm, but then again I’ve never played a game at 120hz so I don’t know if I’m missing anything!

Shit are you sure about this? I can't check it right now but remember that it has some kind of VRR feature, so you saying that it's not the same as the hdmi2.1?

The TV has Freesync VRR, you can use that feature with Series X but PS5 requires you to have a HDMI 2.1 display, as it only supports 2.1's VRR feature. Series X supports VRR over HDMI 2.0 displays, like the one you have.

My TV is old, 1080p/60 55". I would replace it but the only things played on it are all Analog retro consoles and a modded Dreamcast. I want to get a 4K set for better scaling, but it's not a priority.

I run a 4K/60 40" Philips monitor on the PC. Sometime in 2021 I plan on adding a second 240Hz ultrawide monitor, but that will be after I replace my CPU/mobo.

Inviusx

I have a C9 but prefer the dynamic 4k 60 approach that Demons Souls and ACV offer. I dont want to go back to 1080p just for 120hz.

JCK75

I play my PC at 1440P 144hz
My TV can only do 4K/60 and 1440P/120
I don't know that I have the option to use 120 due to that.
and I had just upgraded my receiver and It won't do 120..

so honestly, I'm content with 60fps as I don't do competitive multiplayer on console which is where I care most about frame rate.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 4k@120hz display for PC and console gaming but i didn't buy it because of the refresh rate. I bought it because it's a large format 4K monitor that supports HDR.

I have a hard time telling the difference between 30 and 60fps, so I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference between 60 and 120.

Will probably get a CX over Black Friday and no intention of using 120hz as I don't think the consoles are strong enough to make it worth it. 60fps and reconstructed 4k looks great and is more than playable even for someone that uses a 144hz monitor.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've had 144hz at 1080 on my pc for like 5 years. My living room tv is 144/120hz at 4k and I've had that for like 5 years.

Last edited:

Fbh

No, I'm currently gaming on my 2010 1080p TV lol.

But I honestly don't really care about 120hz.
I rarely play multiplayer stuff and for single player games I think 60fps offers a better balance between smoothness and visuals (unless you have some monster PC).

Last edited:

Shakka43

My TV(Sony x900e) supports 120 fps at 1080p, I don't really plan to use that mode over a higher res 60 fps option.
My monitor(Dell aw3420dw) is 120hz at 1440p uw, I go for max details 60 fps if possible over low/medium settings 120 fps.

NeonDelta

i have a 27inch 1440p 144hz PC Monitor

i will use it occasionally but it doesn't have HDR so it will only be on a select few titles.

I’ve got a LG CX so I can do 120 @1080/1440/2160.

How much will I use it? No clue. Before getting my PS5 I was playing some games in 120 on my PC (Forza Horizon/GTAIV) and didn’t notice a huge difference from 60. I got that initial woah this is really smooth but I think part of it is I know it’s 120 so my brain tells me it’s smoother.

I’ll try out some COD this week and see. Too bad it’s such a pain in the ass to switch back and forth on Black Ops.

Last edited:

KO7

I early-adopted 4K for both my TV and PC monitor, so I don’t have 120hz panels. Getting laid off from my job soon, so upgrades are not in the works for the foreseeable future.

johntown

Banned
Unless they starting making Gsync Ultimate for OLED TV's I have no plan to use 120hz although I will be buying a 120hz TV next year.

Most PC games still struggle with native 4k60 and max settings. I prefer max settings so I don't see me jumping on board the 120hz wagon anytime soon.

For PS5 sure once it is supported I will use it where applicable.

Moogle11

Banned
Yes--though apparently the Sony X900H has some issues with bluriness in 4k120 and needs another firmware update.

Probably won't use it much anyway as I mostly play single player games and prefer the graphics bells and whistles. I don't play many of the types of games where developers are likely to prioritize 120fps anyway, and have never even been that fussed about 30 vs 60. Both are fine to me as long as they're stable. I prefer 60, all things being equal, but will go with 30 if there are any frame drops or the graphics mode is noticeably better to my eyes. (like the reflections in the Spider Man games etc.).

Top Bottom