• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLL:How would you rate the June 11th PS5 event

POLL:How would you rate the June 11th PS5 event

• 10 -Epic

Votes: 36 7.3%

Votes: 54 11.0%

Votes: 108 22.0%

Votes: 97 19.7%

Votes: 45 9.1%
  • 5 - Mediocre

Votes: 79 16.1%

Votes: 27 5.5%

Votes: 18 3.7%

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • 1 Trash

Votes: 19 3.9%

• Total voters

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It was a good show but I think they could've added 2-3 more bangers

And I don't think these early games are taking advantage of the primitive shaders yet

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
5/10.

Horizon 2 will be great, but they didn't show any gameplay. Same with Demon's Souls. RE8 looked decent but I still need to play RE7. I will keep my eye on Kena also.

Some good games, but for a next gen reveal nothing really screamed next gen to me.

Get RE7 now so you have some breathing room until 8. I don't even like FPS games, and I didn't play it in VR, and it was still one of the best games I played that year. It's fantastic.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Get RE7 now so you have some breathing room until 8. I don't even like FPS games, and I didn't play it in VR, and it was still one of the best games I played that year. It's fantastic.

I just picked it up this week since it was $10 on PSN. I'll probably fit in a playthrough after TLOU2.

Having rewatched both events a bit, I'd give Sony a 5.5/10, Microsoft a 3.5/10. Both bad, but Microsoft was worse. Though that depends on what they show in July and if the event in may was merely a minor event to entertain and the actual event that should be compared to is the one in July, then the score will obviously change to reflect that one instead as the comparison.

It's so weird, because one of the showcases from E3 at the end up the 90s that was in a thread had solid games that honestly blew both Sony's and Microsoft's out of the water. Of exclusives Demon's Souls is the only that I'm really interested in, with also an eye towards the new GT if it's more like the older ones.

Moogle11

Banned
8.5ish for me. Rounded up to 9 in the poll. Horizon 2 and the Spider-man sequel looked great and are among my most anticipated next gen sequels. I like Ratchet and Clank a lot and several of the new IP and indie/AA games looked up my alley.

I’m not a big graphics guy so it’s been diminishing returns since last gen for me personally. So I was just wanting to see games I want to play and for me personally it delivered.

PsyEd

5 - just because of Re8 and Ps5 hardware itself. Apart from that I don't remember anything but still was better than x1x.

Texas Pride

Banned
The only reason they got a 4 is because they showed the console imo. No FPS and most games weren't for me. The kids games and games for women aren't my thing. Most women I know play on mobile and the PS5 isn't the kind of toy I'd buy for a kid @ 500+. No disrespect to those who enjoy them but I wasn't sold on a PS5 today. And I've had every Playstation.

Glad they finally revealed the console, and outside of GT and Horizons I was disappointed.
I mean, there was a cat walking sim in there.
I was expecting far more first party blockbusters, but ended up with an indie show.
Thats crazy the amount they’ve shown. And you wanted more? I guess you want nothing for August.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Quick question.

How can you roast Ubisoft for showing a Cinematic of Assasins Creed: Valhalla but praise the cinematic for Demon Souls.

IM FUCING PUMPED FOR BOTH GAMES but feels like Ubisoft were done dirty by gamers.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Thats crazy the amount they’ve shown. And you wanted more? I guess you want nothing for August.

What "crazy amount"?

Look at the 21. february 2013 PS4 reveal. There they show us a crazy amount, a lot of things about the actual console, its features, why it's next-gen, as well as some of the 4-5 exclusives games coming for it, showcasing why they're next-gen and giving them ample room to be presented.
That was a 2 hour show. We now got a 1 hour show, mostly sizzling through a few exclusives and lots of multiplatforms. In fairness we did actually see the console, which we didn't in 2013 PS4 reveal, but I care more what it does than what it looks like.

What "crazy amount"?

Look at the 21. february 2013 PS4 reveal. There they show us a crazy amount, a lot of things about the actual console, its features, why it's next-gen, as well as some of the 4-5 exclusives games coming for it, showcasing why they're next-gen and giving them ample room to be presented.
That was a 2 hour show. We now got a 1 hour show, mostly sizzling through a few exclusives and lots of multiplatforms. In fairness we did actually see the console, which we didn't in 2013 PS4 reveal, but I care more what it does than what it looks like.
PS4 lineup was super weak. Its was knack and killzone. This already beat it.
gBqBRic.jpg

I do expect most of these titles announced, And I think thats more than enough even if you hate all of them. But it is what it is. youre allowed to be disappointed,

Horizon zero dawn to me was the best part but the rest seemed like I was watching a Nintendo e3

No price or release date also bummed me out

PS4 lineup was super weak. Its was knack and killzone. This already beat it.

I do expect most of these titles announced, And I think thats more than enough even if you hate all of them. But it is what it is. youre allowed to be disappointed,

As I said on the PS4 reveal 4-5 exclusives were shown, like Driveclub (which GAF loved) and Infamous: Second Son (which was kinda okay, but overall disappointing compared to previous entries). Same this time around, and not all these are release line-up games. Heck, Deep Down was despite not being realized much more interesting than anything shown on PS5 currently. That game tech demo alone.

I agree that the PS4 launch lineup was weak. But this definitely doesn't kill it at all. Most games had no release dates. Only confirmed as far as I could tell was Spiderman: Miles Morales and GTA Online. There's no indication that Spiderman: Miles Morales will beat out Knack and Killzone, both who were mediocre games sure, but they were two exclusives that showcased the new hardware. Spiderman: Miles Morales and GTA online? Definitely not good showcases of hardware. You could just play Spiderman (PS4) and yeah GTAV. Most of the show was also multiplatform as well.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
It was solid, the transitions got to be a bit much and some of the editing was jank. Too many games didn’t have a date. Console is massive. It was solid, but the door is open for MS to show out. 7/10

They didn’t bring the most mind-melting of announcements they’ve ever had, but the format and approach was far more judicious and tactful than they’ve been in the past and the elegance of their transitions was an aesthetic treat.

9/10

SonGoku

5/10
Marketed as a PS5 conference but it was only a games trailers reel, console reveals should have hands on with hardware, developers technical deep down explaning how they take advantage of the new hardware and how it enables them to create next gen games, tech demos etc. Where was all the flair? This didn't seem like a proper conference or are they saving it for a later date?

They also made the same mistake as MS, showed artsy & indie games on next gen reveal, not enough gameplay, over half the games were unappealing
Loved the console design though
How can you roast Ubisoft for showing a Cinematic of Assasins Creed: Valhalla but praise the cinematic for Demon Souls.
Everyone is excited about demon souls being revealed even if its likely more than a couple years away, assassins creed is zzzz series fatigue is real.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

They have the games, but it really doesn't look next generation to me. I would not run out and spend the money on one based on what I've seen.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

LostDonkey

it was meh but there were a couple of good moments.

Ratchet look great and a new Gran Turismo tickles my pickle.

But the console is dispicable no wonder they waited so long to reveal it.

I didn't watch the entire thing, but from what I was able to catch, I'd say they only turned me off from buying it even more.

While there seems to be a bump in visuals, it's not enough of an improvement to feel like the next big step. Things ar better, sure, but those changes are pretty subtle, and I start asking myself whether it's even worth investing in a new, expensive system for seemingly minor upgrades.

They did try to showcase a wide variety of different types of games on there, which they obviously worked hard on. Most of them don't seem like system sellers though. I loved Demon's Souls when it came out, but what they've shown now doesn't look good enough to really get hyped over, and it's kind of sad anyway when your biggest release is a remake of an old game. Otherwise the game line-up didn't impress me much, but then I haven't ben a fan of Sony's output these last few years anyway. Might just be me.

The console itself looks horrible. It seems like it's huge too, so the ugly design will be difficult to hide.

mekes

I give it a 7.

There were things I liked. I thought Horizon looked gorgeous, almost like they had designed the console themselves. Their game just seemed that much more impressive than anything else that was shown. GT7 looked very good, the sense of speed and movement just seemed like it had risen a notch compared to last gen and that was nice to see. Resident Evil 8 looks interesting, it’s a game I imagine I buy on day 1. Demons Souls looked better than I thought it would. And I liked the look of that Housemarque game.

I think I’m missing one other game that caught my eye during the presser.

Its enough for me to buy the weird looking console at launch. To be honest the only downer was I really hoped we would see a Silent Hill game. Plenty of titles looked decent but no real wow factor for me on any announcements. I’m in a weird place with gaming tho, much much pickier than I used to be.

Last edited:

spawn

I thought it was great. They showed exclusive games. They showed gameplay which Xbox did not. Most of the games looked good. They showed the console design. They showed that a 3d audio headset will come with the PS5.

SegaShack

As boring as any gaming conference of the last 10 years, all cinematics, nothing tangible. Definitely trash. Didn't have high expectations though.

I thought it was great. They showed exclusive games. They showed gameplay which Xbox did not. Most of the games looked good. They showed the console design. They showed that a 3d audio headset will come with the PS5.

Errm I think your gonna be paying for that extra...like the camera

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'd rate it a 5. The show as a whole was pretty mediocre. But Demon's Souls bumped it up to 11. And Horizon 2 is a given. Loved the first game. And the design of the PS5 was very cool looking. Love the dual color scheme. But I hope you can lay it down instead of having it always standing up.

uneventful..

all the reveals are like mediocre reveals that would be shown sporadically throughout a year.. except it was all shown at once

Inspector Q

I don't know...pretty disappointed overall. I feel like these conferences should have at least one long, uninterrupted gameplay segment from a big upcoming title. Think something along the lines of the God of War, Spiderman, UC Lost Legacy or Ghost of Tsushima gameplay demos. Something for us to really sit down and enjoy.

Instead, we are left with a bunch of tiny gameplay snippets from various games. Half of them I can't even tell if I am watching actual gameplay or just a bunch of cutscenes.

Dabaus

Banned
I voted 5. It needed a fifa, fortnite, call of duty caliber game. Way too many indie games. The focus on first party was nice but there weren’t any surprises really. Where was Ubisoft and ea? No final fantasy? Godfall looks cool kind of surprised by the muted response really. Console looks amazing though.

Last edited:

HeadsUp7Up

I scored it a 5 because that's what I felt it deserved. After going back and watching some of the trailers in 4k they really shot themselves in the foot by streaming it in whatever crappy quality they did. The games look absolutely phenomenal but you wouldn't know it unless you went and did some extra work. Had they streamed it in better quality it would have been received a lot more positively by people talking down on it, including myself.

Fbh

I think as a console reveal it was a 5. It just didn't really sell me on the tech and while several of the games definitely looked really nice, nothing had that "wow this is next gen" feeling to it. After months of hearing how revolutionary the SSD is and how it's going to be a game changer, all I saw was nicer looking current gen games.
At least so far, maybe my mind will change once they show more gameplay

As a gaming event it was an 8. No mindblowing reveal but tons of stuff I'd love to play

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Gave it a 7. I'd give it a 7.5, but no option for it.

Console reveal great. But I wanted to know more. But I guess they're leaving that for later teardown video. Still waiting for that teardown video Cerny mentioned.

Lots of good games and variety is great, Some trailers, some gameplay. But I didn't like how they started their "Future" with GTA V. Like... why? This presentation is a statement. First thing you throw at us should be a future game, and you give us GTA V? Throw that in the middle somewhere fgs. I don't even know why this game was in this event at all. It was completely out of place.

Some games looked next-gen, but not OMG WOW jawdrop moment. I understand this will come later, like 2-3 years later.

No JRPG. Not one. Why? What happened to this genre that we can't have ONE showing of it?

And that is all.

Oh yea, and no price nor date yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom