• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: Sanders nearly tied with Clinton nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not really new thread worthy.. i laughed.

zYBVT9W.jpg

That participation didn't show in Iowa. Turnout was lower than 2008 by a very meaningful amount. In fact, I'm willing to bet this nomination process will have less votes than 2008 overall. The enthusiasm is just not the same.

Haven't voting laws changed since 2008? Wouldn't that be something that would cause such a down turn.

Also.... article on this? Something I would like to read.

Sinoox

Banned
That participation didn't show in Iowa. Turnout was lower than 2008 by a very meaningful amount. In fact, I'm willing to bet this nomination process will have less votes than 2008 overall. The enthusiasm is just not the same.

That's unfortunate, but Bernie got 84% of the young vote. I have a strong feeling it will get better though. Iowa obviously has shown it doesn't matter.

Haven't voting laws changed since 2008? Wouldn't that be something that would cause such a down turn.

Also.... article on this? Something I would like to read.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar..._clues_in_the_iowa_caucus_numbers_129564.html

That's unfortunate, but Bernie got 84% of the young vote. I have a strong feeling it will get better though. Iowa obviously has shown it doesn't matter.

The margin means a lot less when the overall numbers aren't growing.

Log4Girlz

Some people are asking for the transcripts of her speeches to financial companies after discovering they exist. Hillary said she'd look into it. Lololol

samn

Bernie supporters seriously need to find a new narrative. Being rich doesn't make you poor at governing. In fact, becoming rich after starting with nothing often shows good judgement.

Hell, some of the most popular Democratic Presidents of all time were extremely wealthy. If Kennedy and FDR can reach legendary status on the left, it would follow that it's not a damning statement to call out the Clintons on also being wealthy.

Kennedy almost blew up the entire world to save his own face, hardly demonstrates good judgement.

Giant snowstorm possible for NH primary. Statistics show that younger voters do not like inclement weather and often stay home (I thought it would be the opposite).

GavinGT

Banned
I know conventional wisdom is that Sanders would make a bad VP pick for Clinton. He's too old and she doesn't need help winning Vermont in the GE. But wouldn't choosing him help her immensely with getting the youth vote? She's seriously lacking youth support and that's basically all Bernie gets.

SmokeMaxX

Giant snowstorm possible for NH primary. Statistics show that younger voters do not like inclement weather and often stay home (I thought it would be the opposite).

Why would you think it's the opposite? Old people can be halfway into their graves and still try be in line to vote. Young people look for every excuse they can find not to vote. If those tendencies were reversed, this country would look quite different.

Why would you think it's the opposite? Old people can be halfway into their graves and still try be in line to vote. Young people look for every excuse they can find not to vote. If those tendencies were reversed, this country would like quite different.

Eh, just a passing thought. It's not hurting my brain or anything.

Chariot

I know conventional wisdom is that Sanders would make a bad VP pick for Clinton. He's too old and she doesn't need help winning Vermont in the GE. But wouldn't choosing him help her immensely with getting the youth vote? She's seriously lacking youth support and that's basically all Bernie gets.
She could pick Elizabeth Warren and have a good enough effect. Notice how Warren is noticeably silent when it comes to endorsements despite her being definitely in Bernie's camp with her views and actions.

SmokeMaxX

She could pick Elizabeth Warren and have a good enough effect. Notice how Warren is noticeably silent when it comes to endorsements despite her being definitely in Bernie's camp with her views and actions.

Demographically she wouldn't want a woman or an old person since she has those bases covered. Bernie is a bit unusual in that he could pull the young person vote, but I doubt he'd want to be her VP. I think a younger minority male seems the way to go in terms of optics.

GavinGT

Banned

But she has basically no name recognition. Hell, I don't think most people knew who Bernie was until the last month or two.

Chariot

Demographically she wouldn't want a woman or an old person since she has those bases covered. Bernie is a bit unusual in that he could pull the young person vote, but I doubt he'd want to be her VP. I think a younger minority male seems the way to go in terms of optics.
True. That's just if she wanted to reach Bernie's people. Otherwise, yes, someone like Rubio that is not Rubio would fit her campaign probably the best.

But she has basically no name recognition. Hell, I don't think most people knew who Bernie was until the last month or two.
His followers do though. And if Hillary wanted a lot of them without taking Bernie as VP Warren would be the best pick. But of course she probably won't got after Bernie's people if she gets the nomination. Most of them will follow suit, not for her, just against the GOP.

sphagnum

Banned
There wouldn't be much reason for her to pick Warren as VP. More likely she'd give her a cabinet post if she is so inclined.

Brinbe

There is absolutely zero benefit to picking Sanders or Warren as veep, especially if Rubio is the nominee. Julian Castro will be the pick.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/julian-castro-possible-vice-president-218119

And her response to the speaking fees and her overall engagements with Wall Street are a real problem for her and she needs to find a better way of defending it or being more transparent about it. Because it has the potential to sink complete trust in her as a candidate, especially since so many are skeptical of her. And I worry that I don't think she sees it.

The way politics works these days, it doesn't take much for opinion to sway on a mass scale and the longer Bernie stays in this and the more people get to know him, the better he'll do with everyone.

NV/SC will be interesting test cases for this.

There is absolutely zero benefit to picking Sanders or Warren as veep, especially if Rubio is the nominee. Julian Castro will be the pick.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/julian-castro-possible-vice-president-218119

And her response to the speaking fees and her overall engagements with Wall Street are a real problem for her and she needs to find a better way of defending it or being more transparent about it. Because it has the potential to sink complete trust in her as a candidate, especially since so many are skeptical of her. And I worry that I don't think she sees it.

The way politics works these days, it doesn't take much for opinion to sway on a mass scale and the longer Bernie stays in this and the more people get to know him, the better he'll do with everyone.

NV/SC will be interesting test cases for this.

Yea.

When Anderson Cooper pressed Hillary about her speaking fees, she admittedly didn't think she would run for president.

It seems Hillary is woefully unprepared with her Wall Street responses and should have known better the second she entered the race.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Clinton not influenced by Wall Street money?

Bullshit

http://billmoyers.com/2015/11/18/fl...out-hillary-clinton-wall-street-and-lobbying/

Yea.

When Anderson Cooper pressed Hillary about her speaking fees, she admittedly didn't think she would run for president.

It seems Hillary is woefully unprepared with her Wall Street responses and should have known better the second she entered the race.

To me, it is irrelevant if she was not going to run.
She was collecting "fees" for her "service". That's how it works now. Take a look at Eric Cantor and every other corrupt politician kicked out of office. THEY ALL GET PAID. That is what people are fucking sick of.

GetLucky

I have to admit the I'm disappointed the far left has joined with the right to bash Hillary. I really hope the divide in the Democratic Party doesn't affect the outcome of the general election.

Honestly I don't know why Sanders would want to be VP. It's a token position. He wants to stay involved and active.
The vice presidency hasn't been a token position since the Bush administration. Cheney and Biden had/have their hands on quite a few things. When Biden goes to speak to someone, he does so as if he were the president himself. They decide policy together. The Vice President also has an extremely close relationship with the Senate.

Oh, and Biden is Obama's best friend. He is the most trusted person in the administration. He and Obama are the administration.

Oriel

Kennedy almost blew up the entire world to save his own face, hardly demonstrates good judgement.

Oh pu-lease! Had Nixon won in '60 the world would be a lifeless lump of radioactive rock today. Kennedy not only kept nukes out of Cuba he did so without triggering WWIII. West Berlin was saved, nukes were removed from Turkey and the situation in Cuba stabilised after getting a commitment by the US to not invade. Oh, and the establishment of the red telephone between the superpowers, along with the realisation that nukes probably aren't a good thing leading to the first tentative steps in nuclear arms control.

bengraven

Neither are going to run indie if the other wins, but I'd still give the other a veep position to prevent any division in the party that could cause a Republican win.

What am I supposed to draw from this blog entry, Tess? Why would someone even post something like that? "Hey, a thing happened to me and I'm pretty sure, as an ardent Bernie Supporter, it's Clinton's fault! Watch me insult and humiliate some call worker!"

ME: “You are a disgrace to politics and to progressives. Do you see what you are doing? You are trying to frighten Latino voters and completely misrepresenting the Sanders’s voting record. Do you realize that? Do you know what you are doing? Nevada has lots of Hispanics and you are push polling a question designed to scare Latinos about Sanders. Isn’t that right? Admit it.”

ME: “I could destroy any one of your arguments in just a couple of seconds. Do you realize you are talking to someone with a degree in political science who has probably written more about politics than everyone in your office put together? You aren’t a pollster. You are a fraud. You are a pretender, and I’m going to expose you. What’s your name? Tell me your name and who you work for?”

Really? All that bluster and dude admits he has no idea who or what was behind the survey. Nevertheless we get a clickbait title fashioning HRC as the Devil and here you are posting it on GAF in the same fashion.

C'mon, cuz.

samn

Oh pu-lease! Had Nixon won in '60 the world would be a lifeless lump of radioactive rock today. Kennedy not only kept nukes out of Cuba he did so without triggering WWIII. West Berlin was saved, nukes were removed from Turkey and the situation in Cuba stabilised after getting a commitment by the US to not invade. Oh, and the establishment of the red telephone between the superpowers, along with the realisation that nukes probably aren't a good thing leading to the first tentative steps in nuclear arms control.

He took massive risks that almost scuppered the deal. I don't credit him for being lucky.

Oriel

I have to admit the I'm disappointed the far left has joined with the right to bash Hillary. I really hope the divide in the Democratic Party doesn't affect the outcome of the general election.

The Bernie camp (for the most part) will swing behind Hillary when she wins the nomination. Given it'll probably be Cruz or Trump on the GOP side they're not going to risk losing the WH to the American far right.

He took massive risks that almost scuppered the deal. I don't credit him for being lucky.

It was the Soviets who took the massive risks. Kennedy was a great American leader and his judgement saved the day.

We're off topic here anyway.

Tesseract

Banned
What am I supposed to draw from this blog entry, Tess? Why would someone even post something like that? "Hey, a thing happened to me and I'm pretty sure, as an ardent Bernie Supporter, it's Clinton's fault! Watch me insult and humiliate some call worker!"

Really? All that bluster and dude admits he has no idea who or what was behind the survey. Nevertheless we get a clickbait title fashioning HRC as the Devil and here you are posting it on GAF in the same fashion.

C'mon, cuz.

that push polling is to be condemned

GetLucky

The Bernie camp (for the most part) will swing behind Hillary when she wins the nomination. Given it'll probably be Cruz or Trump on the GOP side they're not going to risk losing the WH to the American far right.

I hope you're right! I've just seen so much hate, including good or fashioned death threats sent my way.

zethren

Banned
I'm a Bernie Sanders supporter, and will vote for him in my primary very soon. But if Hillary wins the nomination for the general election I fully intend to vote for her.

Either of them are better than any of the currently running Republicans any day of the week.

Oriel

C'mon, cuz.

A hack job by a mere blogger. Unless he was recording the exchange be could be flat out making up what was said. I noted repeated utterances of words "could", " likely" and "appears". You know something, for all the claims by the Bernie mob that Clinton is engaging in dirty campaigning they sure don't seem to mind getting dirty themselves with the non stop attacks on Hillary as a "Wall St shill", "establishment figure", and my favourite "not a progressive". Who are they to determine the definition of progressivism? Hillary IS a progressive, maybe not enough of a progressive for the Bernie lot but a progressive nonetheless.

I can't wait for Hillary to win the nomination and witness the angry denunciations and allegations that she "bought" the election by the Sanders side.

Oriel

I'm a Bernie Sanders supporter, and will vote for him in my primary very soon. But if Hillary wins the nomination for the general election I fully intend to vote for her.

Either of them are better than any of the currently running Republicans any day of the week.

And I expect that in the event of Bernie winning the nomination most Hillary supporters will fully support Sanders. Even in '08 those Puma's were a small minority.

HylianTom

Banned

The guy admits in his own blog that he doesn't know who exactly was calling.

He - and others - assume so. If you're going to make that kind of accusation, the onus is on the accuser to provide proof.

I love Bernie and will support him wholeheartedly should he win the nomination, but this perception that a campaign against the GOP can be won without a street brawl is downright naive.

I hope this is a permanent schism within the party. Don't vote for Hillary if Sanders loses, lets do this all over again in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom