• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Pokémon returns to theaters this fall with nostalgia fest I Choose You

Tripon

Pokémon’s 20th anniversary movie, Pokémon: I Choose You!, will receive an international theatrical run this November. The much-anticipated film will screen for two days in theaters around the world, The Pokémon Company announced, giving longtime Pokémon lovers a rare opportunity to see the franchise on the big screen.

I Choose You! is a retelling of the Pokémon anime’s beginnings. Ash Ketchum picks up a surly Pikachu from Professor Oak and begins his quest to become a master — but that’s where the similarities between the film and the original TV show end. Instead of Brock and Misty, Ash is joined by trainers named Verity and Sorrel. There’s also Pokémon from beyond the Kanto region in this version of Ash’s origin story, including the new mythical monster Marshadow.

69JK768.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/31/16068672/pokemon-i-choose-you-movie-release-date-us

Gary's gotta be in this right?

Edit: OH, right. This is the movie that jams pokemon from every generation into Kanto.
I personally don't mind, but it's fun how they seem to be pushing it as a nostalgia trip and not stick to the OG 151. Seems to be aimed at making those folks mad (along with no Brock or Misty)

Betty

Banned
8aab45c5c948992f12aa26662bf7f968677ebf10.jpg

Look at these worthless wastes of space.

On the left you have the edgy, bitter, hates-being-in-the-shadow-of-the-main-character-and-wants-to-be-number 1-but-gets-over-it-when-he-learns-the-value-of-friendship asshole.

And on the right you basically have every cutesy, annoying, irrelevant, vapid mascot character for every bad anime ever, no negativity from her, ever!

Why!?

8aab45c5c948992f12aa26662bf7f968677ebf10.jpg

Look at these worthless wastes of space.

On the left you have the edgy, bitter, hates-being-in-the-shadow-of-the-main-character-and-wants-to-be-number 1-but-gets-over-it-when-he-learns-the-value-of-friendship asshole.

And on the right you basically have every cutesy, annoying, irrelevant, vapid mascot character for every bad anime ever, no negativity from her, ever!

Why!?
I mean, I haven't watched the movie yet so I can't comment on the new characters, but it isn't really like Brock or Misty were great characters either when you take off the nostalgia goggles

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I admit I haven't watched an episode since 2000 so I couldn't be more out-of-the-loop if someone drew a loop and I stood on the other side of the world. But... what is the point in doing this story? Besides "money", I mean. As a hook, I don't really understand. This can't really be part of the long-running anime's canon because it's changing things around.

Alt-reality stuff, I guess. It just seems like a strange pitch to me.

mreddie

i dunno, I want to see it but no Brock and Misty is kinda a big con I dunno if I can accept. I think I need to hear the new friends.

I just want to know why the change. Was it because they are gym leaders?

JoeM86

i dunno, I want to see it but no Brock and Misty is kinda a big con I dunno if I can accept. I think I need to hear the new friends.

I just want to know why the change. Was it because they are gym leaders?

It's because they weren't necessary to the narrative and this is an alternate take on Ash's journey, not a remake.

That's why it's reviewing great in Japan, right? Oh, and why it's done better than any Pokémon movie in years, right?

You're going to go crazy if you argue here. While some if not most in this thread maybe Pokémon fans I think they're more on the casual side of Pokémon fans than yourself or the regulars in the community OT.

Brook and misty being replaced isn't the real issue here it's the fact riolu and pull-up get front and center with the new people as well Ugh. Give them a psyduck/Togepi and Vulpix/onix or whatever for full nostalgia effect lol

mreddie

It's because they weren't necessary to the narrative and this is an alternate take on Ash's journey, not a remake.

Makes sense but there was a lot of bullshit to trim from the original episodes anyways.

But best Pokemon movie in Japan in a decade so its a plus.

Anth0ny

That's why it's reviewing great in Japan, right? Oh, and why it's done better than any Pokémon movie in years, right?

I never said it was bad

I just don't understand why they're retelling the first episode, complete with Ash's original design, which is clearly done to pull at those nostalgia strings, then change a bunch of other stuff.

Top Bottom