• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Pokémon returns to theaters this fall with nostalgia fest I Choose You

I never said it was bad

I just don't understand why they're retelling the first episode, complete with Ash's original design, which is clearly done to pull at those nostalgia strings, then change a bunch of other stuff.
it's not actually his original design

I mean, I haven't watched the movie yet so I can't comment on the new characters, but it isn't really like Brock or Misty were great characters either when you take off the nostalgia goggles
Eh, I liked the the roles they filled. Brock was the kind smart guy and Misty had plenty of sass and snark.

Yeah they weren't masterpieces in characterization but they had plenty of personality. Personally, I've never liked any of the new companions. Not even Serena.

Brock and Misty were beloved for a reason.

They were fun original characters, important to Ash's development, and not anime stereotypes like their new replacement characters appear to be.

Hard pass.

Besides the fact that Pokemon is being released in theaters... everything about Pokemon is half nostalgia. I don't even care about Misty or Brock. I feel like I've seen this movie a couple of times already, and the thing isn't even out yet. It's all the same. I thought Sun and Moon would mean they were going to start diverging from retelling the same story over and over.

This would've cleaned house in the US if Brock and Misty were still with Ash. It's peak nostalgia season over here, and us millenials would have eaten that shit up. What a missed opportunity.

Dice//

Banned
69JK768.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/31/16068672/pokemon-i-choose-you-movie-release-date-us

I'm confused, why is the feather all three colours when Ho-oh has demarcated spots for each colour?

Sorry but it does actually matter to people in this case that Brock and Misty aren't there. Reimagining or not, it's just a silly move. There's weirdly a lot of love for Brock and Misty out there and I would've killed to see the trio together again.

Totally a missed opportunity here. Sadly, the replacements look quite generic as well.

Hey guys, sorry we're complaining about no Brock and Misty. We know they're worthless "nostalgia" and can't possibly have been likable characters. If you don't think they should be there, surely there's no need for them in a retelling of Ash's journey. Which originally featured Brock and Misty. For years.

But no, no these new characters are a-okay

Thanks guys, I feel exorcised of my Brock and Misty demons.

Hey guys, sorry we're complaining about no Brock and Misty. We know they're worthless "nostalgia" and can't possibly have been likable characters. If you don't think they should be there, surely there's no need for them in a retelling of Ash's journey. Which originally featured Brock and Misty. For years.

But no, no these new characters are a-okay

Thanks guys, I feel exorcised of my Brock and Misty demons.
Again, nostalgia is a heck of a drug.

JoeM86

Brock and Misty were beloved for a reason.

They were fun original characters, important to Ash's development, and not anime stereotypes like their new replacement characters appear to be.

Hard pass.

I agree. Brock and Misty were beloved for a reason, but not the one you think.

They were beloved because they were first and there when Pokémania was at its peak.

Sorry but it does actually matter to people in this case that Brock and Misty aren't there. Reimagining or not, it's just a silly move. There's weirdly a lot of love for Brock and Misty out there and I would've killed to see the trio together again.

Totally a missed opportunity here. Sadly, the replacements look quite generic as well.

Brock and Misty aren't as beloved in Japan as in the west. Brock a bit so, hence his returns, but Misty hasn't even been seen in the anime since 2005 barring flashbacks.

8aab45c5c948992f12aa26662bf7f968677ebf10.jpg

Look at these worthless wastes of space.

On the left you have the edgy, bitter, hates-being-in-the-shadow-of-the-main-character-and-wants-to-be-number 1-but-gets-over-it-when-he-learns-the-value-of-friendship asshole.

And on the right you basically have every cutesy, annoying, irrelevant, vapid mascot character for every bad anime ever, no negativity from her, ever!

Why!?

Any reason why would TPC change two iconic characters who are ALSO Gym leader like Misty and Brook?

I was super hype for this and after I saw that PV I am not even watching on the cinema or BD when it releases.

Waste of time.

I find it funny that there's already an English logo for the movie and yet TPCi chose not to use it.
I don't think I'm gonna go see it. Only 2 days? Really?

Falchion

How can something trying to cash in on the nostalgia change so much and expect people to be down with it?

So for all you people who are still upset at Misty and Brock not being Ash's companions, here's some more news for you.

They don't appear at all and neither does Bulbasaur and Squirle according to some reviews. Sorry for you nostalgia people.

Movie is still getting some really good reviews though.
Super hard pass. The movies once again failing to understand how to leverage nostalgia at all.
Because it's not supposed to leverage nostalgia when it's being aimed at younger audiences??? No matter what Polygon's article says.

Because it's not supposed to leverage nostalgia when it's being aimed at younger audiences??? No matter what Polygon's article says.
A retelling of the original story with the same title as the first Pokemon episode, with a poster that looks like this, being released in theaters in America.

Yep, no attempt at nostalgia cash in here, no sir.

Please, dude.

Top Bottom