• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) hires Mike Caviezel (Forza audio lead)

ethomaz

Banned
Please explain how this (2:24 or so) sounds anything like a V10.

It doesn't even sound like a car, the closest thing I can liken it to is if you heard a very unhealthy, dying aircooled VW Flat 4.
That is what bothers me sometimes... the game I play didn't sound like that.

Seems like people try to make the sound bad or maybe there is something wrong in the record but I never tried to record anything... so I'm not the best guy to say what is wrong.

Servbot24

Banned
Forza has ridiculously good audio, especially Forza 5, so this is a great get for Polyphony. I'm just hoping they picked him up early enough to let him actually make a difference in GT7.

He'll help, but it's not like everything depends on him. He's not introducing unheard of recording technology to PD or anything.

nib95

Banned
That is what bothers me sometimes... the game I play didn't sound like that.

Seems like people try to make the sound bad or maybe there is something wrong in the record but I never tried to record anything... so I'm not the best guy to say what is wrong.

The sound system you're using makes an incredible difference. For example, stuff off of my Macbook Pro Retina's speakers sounds thin and overly analytical, completely lacking bass and bellow. I switch to my headphones or amped surround sound system and it's an entirely different sound. Pretty much unrecognisably different, so bare that in mind too.

Also, see post below!

Agremont

Please explain how this (2:24 or so) sounds anything like a V10.

It doesn't even sound like a car, the closest thing I can liken it to is if you heard a very unhealthy, dying aircooled VW Flat 4.

That's because it's got a custom exhaust. The custom exhausts in GT usualy sounds absolutely horrendous and innaccurate. The stock sound for the Gallardo in GT6 is not that bad. Clearly a v10. Not as good as Forza but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXvqBgevqM

saladine1

He'll help, but it's not like everything depends on him. He's not introducing unheard of recording technology to PD or anything.

Sure, but he certainly has the experience and understanding of how to make things sound great. Actually, strike that, it might all depend on him after all because so far, there hasn't been anyone else at PD who has been dependable in this regard..

Birdman15

Banned
This is like how when you have a pretty good Pokemon team, but you lose more often than you should.

And then you find that one piece that clearly puts you over the top and makes you unstoppable.

Yup, better sound is what was needed here.

Me too, I hope they keep the reverb/echo effects too. Maybe even improve them.

It's not necessarily about loudness either. That you can manage yourself just with the volume. It's more about how accurate it is not just compared to the environmental sounds, but the extent to which the tonality of the different sounds share likeness with the real thing.

One thing PD has been noticeably testing out is environment and body sounds.

I'm not an audio person but this is how I hear:

Their current (past) engine lacks micro and macro detail. Tyre screech was basically one sample that varied with 'force' instead of how many wheels are locking and direction. Car body lacked some muffled sounds that we still get from vibration like suspension and gearbox. Some games exaggerate these rattlings way too much, but having this detail that we can't get fully in a natural way is important.
Doppler effect, reverberations, and presence on macro scale. When in a grid, you can basically hear 3 other cars not your own (engine limitation, likely). and their audios are not placed in space if they are far from you. Even with competing sounds, I can hear certain louder cars driving in a distance.
But I guess that would require a volumetric, physical audio engine to simulate, or at least approximate. These are things that would help those "clinical" recordings in silent garages with microphones placed and filtered, to regain some of the "behaviour" we notice as spectators in races for the cameras that matter, and to have a more lively representation of when inside the car.
Increasing/improving the sample notes would help it further.

I never thought GT sounds sucked or were wrong, just that they 'deformed' artificially and were too boxed/clean.

But with these latest developments, it's clear that their approach to audio is getting with times. I just hope they don't make cars sound like you'd be driving with no windshield, windows and bonnet.

saladine1

This. It would really be ideal to get Evo to work on the sound and UI design, which I find to be the most problematic elements of the GT franchise atm.

Guys like Anthony Moteil, Greg Hill, Nick Wiswell (of Raceroom, pCars/iRacing, Forza fame) are known to me but don't really know who was responsible for Driveclub.

Who is/was the audio director/lead at Evolution Studios?

commedieu

Banned
Anyone still playing GT6?

They added an option to change the "MIC POSITION" I think its "Dash, behind car,etc."
You can now hear the outside noise (which to me seemed more accurate) inside of the cockpit. It makes it a bit more bearable, but it distorts when other engines are too near.

Anyone try this? Sounds better, but still.. not quite,

THE:MILKMAN

I think the sounds have improved quite a bit with GT6 but I don't like the synthesised echo on replays. Sounds like the cars are in a tunnel.

le-seb

Guys like Anthony Moteil, Greg Hill, Nick Wiswell (of Raceroom, pCars/iRacing, Forza fame) are known to me but don't really know who was responsible for Driveclub.

Who is/was the audio director/lead at Evolution Studios?
Alan Mcdermott is credited as the Audio Manager, but I think that Tim Shepherd is the man you're looking for (he's credited for being the Senior Sound Designer in game).

Anyone still playing GT6?

They added an option to change the "MIC POSITION" I think its "Dash, behind car,etc."
You can now hear the outside noise (which to me seemed more accurate) inside of the cockpit. It makes it a bit more bearable, but it distorts when other engines are too near.

Anyone try this? Sounds better, but still.. not quite,

Over 200 000 people.

Forza 5 sounds better than GT6 obviously but its not impressive sounding at all. DriveClub's sound is so much better, I don't think there is another game on the market with the same level of authentic car sounds.

Raceroom is the absolute gold standard for car sounds until now. I'm yet to see Pcars in person, but it's another game that seems promising.

Good for GT, they need it. Maybe GT6 not selling well was a good thing for them. Sometimes the only way to change it is through adversity.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Omg this is megatonne. no other car game has audio as good as forza, not even close imo. Driveclub whilst ok, still had that synthesized sound like GT games have.

This is great news!

Servbot24

Banned
Sure, but he certainly has the experience and understanding of how to make things sound great. Actually, strike that, it might all depend on him after all because so far, there hasn't been anyone else at PD who has been dependable in this regard..

Maybe, but PD is very much aware that this is a big flaw with the game, and they've been outspoken that they're going to improve it. Mike will definitely help with his experience, but I'm sure they've already been working on it. Just because they hired him now doesn't mean they'll be starting from scratch.

ddikxela

Maybe, but PD is very much aware that this is a big flaw with the game, and they've been outspoken that they're going to improve it. Mike will definitely help with his experience, but I'm sure they've already been working on it. Just because they hired him now doesn't mean they'll be starting from scratch.

They've definitely been working on audio so you are correct in assuming so.

Just take a gander at the Mazda Vision car that was added on GT6 around/after xmas 2014. It sounds absolutely nuts compared to the on disc cars and should be an insight on how serious they are about rectifying the audio problem. Luckily for us it means they shouldnt be starting from scratch.

RdN

The Forza series has unparalleled audio fidelity. If this guy can take some of that to the stagnant Gran Turismo franchise, it'll be awesome news.

Game4life

Banned
This is cool and all.. but I rather they look at Evo for inspiration in the sound department. It is freaking fantastic though I dont know if Evo's methods are viable business wise for such a huge car list.

FStop7

Banned
Great news. GT's consistently had some of the worst sounding engine/exhaust sounds. So bad they take me out of the game. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

vpance

Makes sense they'd hire the Forza guy since last I checked GT7 will also go with the dyno recording method.

They've definitely been working on audio so you are correct in assuming so.

Just take a gander at the Mazda Vision car that was added on GT6 around/after xmas 2014. It sounds absolutely nuts compared to the on disc cars and should be an insight on how serious they are about rectifying the audio problem. Luckily for us it means they shouldnt be starting from scratch.

Sadly the Mazda is a Red Bull prototype that you can actually listen to without your ears bleeding or atleast very close to it. The Senna cars did sound decent though imo.

FStop7

Banned
I stopped here... I put a Galardo close to my room and the sound is close to perfection from GT in all gears.

Of course you can say which is game or not but the sound is really accurate.

I hear R8s, Gallardos, and Huracans every day. The Audi and Lambo dealers use my street for test drives (which is not nearly as cool as it sounds when you're trying to sleep in.) They don't sound anything like GT in real life.

benzy

The Forza series has unparalleled audio fidelity. If this guy can take some of that to the stagnant Gran Turismo franchise, it'll be awesome news.

Makes sense they'd hire the Forza guy since last I checked GT7 will also go with the dyno recording method.

I was a bit confused at first with this hire, but it seems whatever Mike is working on most likely won't deal with traditional audio recordings that he's had experienced with on the Forza series. Polyphony are completely doing away with audio recordings in favor of synthesizing audio in real-time; looks like Mike will be overseeing this development. They've already begun testing an early version of their new audio system on the DLC cars in GT6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08C1_txCLOg

Also check out cutmeamango and Wax's posts on the previous page.

Top Bottom