• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis suggests gay marriage threatens traditional families

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been cherry picking his positions since he came to power. Strike two? Only if you don't pay attention. Over time people are going to realize he's not that revolutionary shaker the media tries to make him out to be. Obama is an obvious parallel.

Not that he isn't an improvement, I think. But that doesn't say all that much.

How do you guys go through life expecting 100% agreement with everyone else you come across?

The pope is far from everyone else, though. The guy is supposed to be God's representative on Earth with a direct line to the supreme being and the authority to interpret his/her will. He is the spiritual leader for millions and millions and is head of one of the three major monotheistic religions. Millions take this guy's word as gospel. Naturally, people get upset when, even after more than 2,000 years, the head of the church and one of the world's major religions still can fuck up one of the most basic principle of Jesus' ministry - i.e. love your neighbor. Then there's the whole don't judge lest you be judged thing. Topping it off is the fact that this pope seemed pretty progressive and reform-minded. There are probably millions upon millions of people in the LGTB community who would have no problem or would love to be members of the church, but are ostracized and treated as a corrupting force by the church's head honcho and leadership merely because of the way they were born and the people they love.

I dunno how people expect the church to turn progressive when it comes to these issues any time soon. For fucks sake, women can't even be Bishops or Popes....

Derwind

I've had people explain it to me like I'm two, and I STILL don't understand how gay marriage threatens traditional families/marriages. Every.single.last person who has ever explained it to me just sounded remedial as fuck and I could see their minds doing triple axle mental figure skating to try and have it make sense.

They don't answer the tough questions to their children, like why are their people that marry for love and not some sort of obligation to a higher power. Or explaining how their bigoted views are outdated.

Its complicates things you see.

Think of the children and all.

12qmDwb.gif

EVEN MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY BOUGHT IT

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
If anything it proves that banning same sex marriage doesn't affect fertility rate, since at least in Japan, same sex marriage doesn't exist.

Because we totally needed proof of this in the first place.

Oh, i wholeheartily agree on that. Was just responding to someone saying we're enough on this earth and less births would be good.

And for some more perspective, that reproduction rate is entirely unaffected by gay people being able to marry.

Do you people not read what i was responding to, or just try to land a 'wham'?

Yrael

This doesn't surprise me at all. He has said in the past, after all, that a same-sex marriage bill is "Satan's work to destroy God's plan." His views on women are also highly chauvinistic and patriarchal, very typical of traditional Catholicism. He has a better ability to appeal to a wider audience and appease the progressive-minded than those who have previously held his office, but his views on human sexuality and gender are still very retrograde.

DarkKyo

Hey, pope?... SHUUUTUUPPP. Don't lecture me on how to live my life outside of caring for others and loving my fellow man.

Marvel

could never
Never really got the whole "Traditional Family" remark, to me any man/woman, man/man or woman/woman parent setup as long as they love and support their kids is typically a traditional family.

Or am I misunderstanding? it's not a sex thing to me and shouldn't be a problem.

Gustav

Banned
I'm baffled by a lot of reactions here. For one, I'm starting to believe that a lot of people live in some kind of echo chamber and believe that their progressive views are something else than the views of a tiny, tiny, predominantly western, middle class and up minority.

And it's the fucking Pope. The Pope!

Aristion

Banned
The hell happened to this dude, was he taken out back and beaten? Or worse?

He's a Roman Catholic bishop.

Are folks really that uninformed about religion?

It's media sensationalism.

Do you seriously not know how to critically evaluate news articles?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Nope, just being realistic.

Nah I got into a argument with a friend who is a practicing Catholic (I'm secular) because he was pissed that the pope was so liberal. He felt the pope was doing to much and forgetting that the church was suppose to save sinners souls and not "enable" them. The whole conversation disappointed me so much I haven't spoke to the guy beyond a few texts in over a month.

Nah I got into a argument with a friend who is a practicing Catholic (I'm secular) because he was pissed that the pope was so liberal. He felt the pope was doing to much and forgetting that the church was suppose to save sinners souls and not "enable" them. The whole conversation disappointed me so much I haven't spoke to the guy beyond a few texts in over a month.

Did your friend post here?

CrankyJay

Banned
Sounds like someone got in the Pope's ear this week.

Even my catholic wife didn't like what he said about not being able to criticize one's faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom