• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portable console screenshot thread (3DS/Vita) - Rules in OP

LBJM4um.jpg

6Xcxsmx.jpg

m9aZRGj.jpg

Been meaning to post screenshots in here for ages, but never get round to it. I've finally uploaded them to my PC so hopefully i'll remember to post them with some frequency.

As I finished the game last month, here's some shots from Oddworld: Strangers Wrath HD. I've tried to maximise variety!

Absolutely wonderful game, btw.

Borderlands 2

I have defended this port extensively in the past. I always said that the opportunity to play this game on the go makes up for the sacrifices that were made to get the game on the Vita. And I still believe that with enough experience with other versions of the game, you can mitigate many of the framerate issues (for example, if you know the movement patterns of enemies, and the speed at which you can aim, you can make the same movements knowing you will hit the target even if the game itself is unable to render it fast enough).

HOWEVER.

I was at a party a couple of weeks ago, and I was introduced to a friend of a friend who works in Sony's 3rd party development team. He told me in no uncertain terms that the port was a disaster, could and should have been far better than it was, Iron Galaxy were a nightmare to work with and 4 player co-op was cut from the game at the very last second - not because it didn't work, but because the framerate was even worse than in 2 player and they wanted to avoid negative feedback on it. So that somewhat changed my opinion on the subject.

Rant over. Here's a couple of screenshots.

And as a bonus, Killzone Mercenary. I know Borderlands 2 was never gonna look this good, but the gulf is undeniably vast...

dracula_x

Borderlands 2

I have defended this port extensively in the past. I always said that the opportunity to play this game on the go makes up for the sacrifices that were made to get the game on the Vita. And I still believe that with enough experience with other versions of the game, you can mitigate many of the framerate issues (for example, if you know the movement patterns of enemies, and the speed at which you can aim, you can make the same movements knowing you will hit the target even if the game itself is unable to render it fast enough).

HOWEVER.

I was at a party a couple of weeks ago, and I was introduced to a friend of a friend who works in Sony's 3rd party development team. He told me in no uncertain terms that the port was a disaster, could and should have been far better than it was, Iron Galaxy were a nightmare to work with and 4 player co-op was cut from the game at the very last second - not because it didn't work, but because the framerate was even worse than in 2 player and they wanted to avoid negative feedback on it. So that somewhat changed my opinion on the subject.

Hmm, this is interesting, thanks for sharing. Though, the main problem with the game to me was controls, not framerate.

HOWEVER.

What was his excuse for Ultra Street Fighter IV being a disaster at launch; and then Resident Evil Revelations 2 being (so far) a framerate nightmare at launch?

Honestly, I can believe there were problems with Iron Galaxy. The port didn't turn out great. But so far the common factor between all the games made by Third Party Productions is... well... Third Party Productions themselves. Maybe they need to supervise their partners better or something.

This gives me hope that maybe we'll get The Pre-Sequel on Vita in future and it'll actually have a decent framerate, though.

P.S. Did you not ask him what 3PP are doing next? :p

O.T: Just so this post isn't all chatter, here's 3 more screenshots:

dSvZsxI.jpg

rP4G30i.jpg

T0OpGvG.jpg

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Borderlands 2

HOWEVER.

And as a bonus, Killzone Mercenary. I know Borderlands 2 was never gonna look this good, but the gulf is undeniably vast...

Not a fair comparison, one is a level based first party game made to show what vita can do, the other is a cheap (bad)port of open world game made with more powerful consoles in mind, but yeah the result could have been better.

Honestly i don't care about graphics if all the rest is good... well that's not the case.

BL2 is not the exception, more like the rule, the third party production needs to do better jobs in general.

Finally got the plat on Geometry Wars 3 today! Don't remember seeing many screenshots in here, so I thought i'd put some up. Fantastic port of a fantastic game - it's not completely immune to drops like some people have said (get above about 20 million on Pacifism for example and the game noticeably slows) but it's near perfect in the majority of situations and as a huge fan of the series I couldn't hope for a better version on Vita.

mmikcOx.jpg

Big fan of the 3D level designs. Kinda wish there was more variety, but at least they never seemed to result in unfair deaths like I was sure they would before I got the game!

6iBAsZw.jpg

Also, having all of the Classic modes still in the game is just the best. Almost leaves me with no reason to go back to GW2! Almost.

pr7CduG.jpg

The local co-op mode even existing is a really cool little feature. Shame about the lack of online co-op though, it makes it very difficult to get the BFF trophy for 3 stars on all co-op levels. It was the last trophy I got (and seeing as only 0.1% of people have it, I can't be the only one having problems). Fortunately a friend of mine surprised me with a visit last night after not seeing him for months and this morning we just blasted through the last few stars. That boss battle was tough.

Hmm, this is interesting, thanks for sharing. Though, the main problem with the game to me was controls, not framerate.

I hated the controls at launch but got used to them. Once they patched the game to enable custom back touch pad areas it got significantly better, for me at least.

What was his excuse for Ultra Street Fighter IV being a disaster at launch; and then Resident Evil Revelations 2 being (so far) a framerate nightmare at launch?

Honestly, I can believe there were problems with Iron Galaxy. The port didn't turn out great. But so far the common factor between all the games made by Third Party Productions is... well... Third Party Productions themselves. Maybe they need to supervise their partners better or something.

This gives me hope that maybe we'll get The Pre-Sequel on Vita in future and it'll actually have a decent framerate, though.

P.S. Did you not ask him what 3PP are doing next? :p

I didn't, but it's pretty certain that at some point down the line i'll see him again and I will certainly be asking about USFIV! Funny thing is that the mutual friend who introduced us works for Capcom (won't say exactly where because it might be too easy to identify them if anyone sees this), and I asked him about what happened with Resi Revelations 2 on Vita, and apparently neither 3PP or Capcom were involved with that port, which seems crazy. Oh well.

Not a fair comparison, one is a level based first party game made to show what vita can do, the other is a cheap (bad)port of open world game made with more powerful consoles in mind, but yeah the result could have been better.

Honestly i don't care about graphics if all the rest is good... well that's not the case.

BL2 is not the exception, more like the rule, the third party production needs to do better jobs in general.

Definitely. It's not a good track record so far!

ike_

Title: Xblaze Code: Embryo (Vita) & Danganronpa 2 (Vita)

How have I only just discovered this thread.

RrydxrM.jpg

SOLygCV.jpg

yHk2woI.jpg

Sorry if any are dupes, turns out I have like 90 images to post here. Good thing OP limited spamming.

I actually own this game thanks to a sale a few months back, but i've never played it or read anything about it (either on Vita or on any other platform). Is it good? Is the Vita port of it good? Because it looks absolutely stunning.

Super Time Force Ultra

I was a bit hesitant to give this one a go, being kinda sick (as I know a lot of other people are) of the seemingly never-ending stream of pixel-art games. I was extremely pleasantly surprised. Not only is the time rewinding mechanic fucking cool as hell, the game is also tough, but fair. The controls are dependable and if you die, it's pretty much definitely your fault. If you get too much going on on one screen the performance can start to drag (the game actually slows down rather than becoming a slideshow, at least), but this happens fairly rarely, and the second you get past that area everything accelerates back to normal speed. Usually it seems to occur when you have a large number of enemies combined with 15+ past versions of yourself, with everyone shooting and people dying all over the place. If you're good at the game (i'm not) then this kind of situation is completely avoidable, but it's not that bad even if you do encounter it. I did have one complete lock up which I should mention after the game appeared to slow down to the point of becoming completely stationary, and then the whole system froze.

All in all though, the different time periods are great, the characters are nicely distinct, the enemy variety is really good, and the feature where it shows your complete playthrough of the level afterwards is both good fun and also the only real chance you have of getting any screenshots. I know it's not a review thread but I don't know where else to post my opinions!

0fTEXUj.jpg

KnsE4WF.jpg

cP8K2wU.jpg

Go give it a try if you have PS+, it's free this month and it's well worth it!

dracula_x

20609120984_8a89f0cfb2_c.jpg

21044971699_98431a58c7_c.jpg

21231826245_f20f7fc3d8_c.jpg

I actually own this game thanks to a sale a few months back, but i've never played it or read anything about it (either on Vita or on any other platform). Is it good? Is the Vita port of it good? Because it looks absolutely stunning.

I actually just started playing, but very good so far. It looks even better on vita screen, because animated backgrounds. Though, I probably should choose Hard difficulty from the beginning instead of Normal – the game is not challenging enough by default.

AdaWong

Borderlands 2

HOWEVER.

Omg i miss playing Borderlands 2 (ON THE VITA, TOO!) Amazing screenshots.

Amazing screenshots everyone.

Every single one of you. Like wow. If only i wasn't so lazy

JoeLT

What about Smartphone/Tablet screenshots? Or is there a separate thread for those? There's a ton of good looking games on there these days.

melchior_

Good question. D: Don't see anything about it in the rules but I wouldn't mind seeing smartphone games here, especially if it helped keep the thread more lively.

20610726563_197f9a4262_o.jpg

21043536260_a6ed1cdd7f_o.jpg

21205264726_ff838baf1d_o.jpg

I don't know if the last one is considered a spoiler, so hopefully I spoiler tagged it. The other two *should* be okay since it's stuff from the trailers:

yJ2vJNr.jpg

wSbuYPm.jpg

jtA9mEv.jpg

I have to say, I've read that some people don't like Okabe, but I find him an amazing character. In the first few chapters he's pretty much the only reason I'm still playing, I don't really care about anyone else (perhaps Kurisu)

UX4a94U.jpg

9QUJS7h.jpg

52kjNHw.jpg

Interestingly, Borderlands 2 on Vita had 4 player co-op still active so late in development that if you have an unpatched copy (I have confirmed with physical, don't know for sure about digital) the option actually still exists, but you can't use it because there's no ad-hoc and it requires you to patch the game before you can play online! Sigh. Would love to have seen how bad the framerate was.

T1aXmx7.jpg

And a couple of proper screenshots!

Q15YXMx.jpg

sgKS2af.jpg

Top Bottom