• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portable console screenshot thread (3DS/Vita) - Rules in OP

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Uh...are these just isolated shots? Revelations 1 looks amazing. I can't believe part 2 would have ground textures like this. Does the game genuinely look good otherwise or did Capcom shit the bed here?

The port is not from Capcom, as i always say the final result(resolution and framerate included) completely depends on developer abilities, priorities and budget, not on the hardware's power, i will never be used to gaf begging for this or that hardware because they think they'll get 1080p/60fps for every game...

melchior_

21861015293_6662cc1f66_o.jpg

21837282718_d9073e2043_o.jpg

22035054731_32e5f05aec_o.jpg

Whenever I see MGS2/MGS3 HD, and Gravity Rush, and Uncharted, and Killzone Mercenary.........

It makes me cry man-tears seeing the lost potential of such an amazing portable platform..... gawd damn man.

Will come back to post some Gravity Rush.

Uh...are these just isolated shots? Revelations 1 looks amazing. I can't believe part 2 would have ground textures like this. Does the game genuinely look good otherwise or did Capcom shit the bed here?

Nup, Revelations 2 is right up there with Amazing Spider-Man and Asphalt Injection as one of the worst looking 3D games on the Vita. Textures are absolute spew, shadows and lighting don't exist, it has bizarre problems displaying certain things (like fences, fences are completely fucked) and the frame rate constantly struggles.

That's easily the worst part; the frame rate. I got to a point after a few hours where I just had to give up on the game. There's some fight against invisible enemies in a cramped apartment where the frame rate drops into single digits. I died like 30 times before taking the cartridge out forever.

Which was a bit of shame, because it was fascinating seeing just how bad the game looked. It just got worse and worse with each new location.

0DCzzh7.jpg

This is what a typical fence looks like. Powerlines also render oddly.

29alrCD.jpg

Rain absolutely destroys the frame rate (which typically maxes out around 20FPS I'd say?) Imagine this beauty at like 10 FPS. Then imagine trying to fight three enemies which lowers the frame rate even more!

SdBjHDU.jpg

An average ground texture.

As 2+2=5 already mentioned, this wasn't developed by Capcom. Sony paid for the Vita port and handed it off to Frima Studio - a tiny company mainly experienced with mobile/social games - who quite clearly needed a bigger budget and more help from Sony.

Nup, Revelations 2 is right up there with Amazing Spider-Man and Asphalt Injection as one of the worst looking 3D games on the Vita. Textures are absolute spew, shadows and lighting don't exist, it has bizarre problems displaying certain things (like fences, fences are completely fucked) and the frame rate constantly struggles.

That's easily the worst part; the frame rate. I got to a point after a few hours where I just had to give up on the game. There's some fight against invisible enemies in a cramped apartment where the frame rate drops into single digits. I died like 30 times before taking the cartridge out forever.

Which was a bit of shame, because it was fascinating seeing just how bad the game looked. It just got worse and worse with each new location.

0DCzzh7.jpg

29alrCD.jpg

Rain absolutely destroys the frame rate (which typically maxes out around 20FPS I'd say?) Imagine this beauty at like 10 FPS. Then imagine trying to fight three enemies which lowers the frame rate even more!

SdBjHDU.jpg

As 2+2=5 already mentioned, this wasn't developed by Capcom. Sony paid for the Vita port and handed it off to Frima Studio - a tiny company mainly experienced with mobile/social games - who quite clearly needed a bigger budget and more help from Sony.

Shame. Even if it doesn't look as good as Revelations, Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D also looks great and it looks much better than that. Too bad they couldn't use the same engine for Revelations 2 on Vita.

Mercenaries doesn't have a Miiverse community so here's another cheap-looking game to keep Revelations 2 company - Aqua Moto Racing 3D:

WVW69ik2n5cxp_HAd_O6.jpg

WVW69ik2r4_Y_y_RGwz5.jpg

WVW69ik2t_Rk1q9s_Jgf.jpg

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Those aren't isolated, the game looks terrible. It also runs like a slideshow the moment there's an enemy present. I found it completely unplayable, as the aiming becomes extremely frustrating when it's seemingly running in the teens or low twenties.

I absolutely love RE and I deleted it after they released a patch that did nothing to fix the issues.

Thanks for sharing this insight and these screenshots. I find it fascinating to compare what some devs can achieve on Vita compared to others.

AdaWong

0DCzzh7.jpg

29alrCD.jpg

SdBjHDU.jpg

The framerate is not 10 fps. o_O I've platinumed the game on Vita and the only places where the framerate becomes 15~20 FPS is when your health is low and snowy stages on Raid Mode. It could have been optimised better for SURE, but it's really not that bad.

Look at these screenshots, courtesy of user "Bittercup".
2015-08-18-1900152ej1x.jpg

2015-08-18-190248r9sp0.jpg

2015-08-18-190616lnkqd.jpg

I still don't get how Revelations can be so much better looking than anything else on the system. It's disappointing because we're talking about a year-one game shitting on nearly five years of games now. IronFall comes close-ish. If they had a team bigger than 2.5 people, it could have happened.

WVW69ih0_LM8_RCp_Wmk.jpg

WVW69ihz_Gkuog_XO1_P.jpg

WVW69ihzcpc0_UFy_Vg.jpg

The framerate is not 10 fps. o_O I've platinumed the game on Vita and the only places where the framerate becomes 15~20 FPS is when your health is low and snowy stages on Raid Mode. It could have been optimised better for SURE, but it's really not that bad.

Look at these screenshots, courtesy of user "Bittercup".
2015-08-18-1900152ej1x.jpg

2015-08-18-190248r9sp0.jpg

2015-08-18-190616lnkqd.jpg

Those screens are all very early in the game, and yeah, it's clear chapter 1 certainly had more care put into it. I posted some shots a few pages back from when I first started the game and was actually impressed initially. It goes to total shit after that. =p

Again though, I think Frima probably did the best they could all things considered, and it's not like the port is completely unplayable or anything.

3 from a game I haven't seen represented here yet:

mW4jHAJ.jpg

eqDg5yL.jpg

PY6ek8o.jpg

I bought it for a tenner and I'm trading it in for £6 today. Not the worst game I've played, but in that pile with Invizimals: The Alliance; LEGO Legends of Chima and Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz as "I don't think this game is for me and I don't see when I'll ever play it again".

It was over in about 6 hours and it was a rather bland 6 hours at that.

Runs in Unity though, oddly. I was under the impression there were problems with that engine on Vita (Corpse Party: Blood Drive full of problems; Final Fantasy Agito+ delayed then cancelled) but it seemed to run fine to me, aside from long loading.

R46D7jA.jpg

krS2mpd.jpg

d5WXAdi.jpg

3 from a game I haven't seen represented here yet:

mW4jHAJ.jpg

eqDg5yL.jpg

PY6ek8o.jpg

I bought it for a tenner and I'm trading it in for £6 today. Not the worst game I've played, but in that pile with Invizimals: The Alliance; LEGO Legends of Chima and Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz as "I don't think this game is for me and I don't see when I'll ever play it again".

It was over in about 6 hours and it was a rather bland 6 hours at that.

Runs in Unity though, oddly. I was under the impression there were problems with that engine on Vita (Corpse Party: Blood Drive full of problems; Final Fantasy Agito+ delayed then cancelled) but it seemed to run fine to me, aside from long loading.

Haha, props for lasting that long with it! I completed the first level and it left me feeling absolutely drained. Possibly one of the slowest platformers I've ever played. I couldn't believe the amount of backtracking I had to do in it, too. Not sure if I should sell my copy or not, I probably won't ever try it again. =x

RootCause

scr_38_TOP_LEFT.png

scr_44_TOP_LEFT.png

scr_52_TOP_LEFT.png

What company did they have do the port?
Frima Studio. I don't put all the blame on them. The game wasnt made with handheld limitations in mind.
A game built from the ground for handhelds, will, always look better than a game downgraded from a stronger system. It's much easier to hide the systems limitation that way.

It's a shame, I might consider the vita release if it becomes cheap enough. Sad to learn that the patch didn't fix much.

tkscz

Frima Studio. I don't put all the blame on them. The game wasnt made with handheld limitations in mind.
A game built from the ground for handhelds, will, always look better than a game downgraded from a stronger system. It's much easier to hide the systems limitation that way.

It's a shame, I might consider the vita release if it becomes cheap enough. Sad to learn that the patch didn't fix much.

Yep. All the shadows in RE: R for the 3DS are pre-baked (some of the lighting is also pre-baked but not all of it).

I still don't get how Revelations can be so much better looking than anything else on the system. It's disappointing because we're talking about a year-one game shitting on nearly five years of games now. IronFall comes close-ish. If they had a team bigger than 2.5 people, it could have happened.

Honestly, Ironfall is a much better looking game from a tech stand point (just not an art one). More dynamic light and shadows, better particle effects, better mapping and cleaner textures. Plus it's all running at 60FPS with more dynamic enemies on screen at once.

zlCfzTERuP0kS87mq-

zlCfzTE1_DMSpmfdw5

Honestly, Ironfall is a much better looking game from a tech stand point (just not an art one). More dynamic light and shadows, better particle effects, better mapping and cleaner textures. Plus it's all running at 60FPS with more dynamic enemies on screen at once.

I'm not a tech expert but it certainly looks less impressive based on those screenshots you posted compared to all the Resi ones we're seeing.

The jagged edges on that lava river at the bottom is particularly jarring.

Bittercup

Those screens are all very early in the game, and yeah, it's clear chapter 1 certainly had more care put into it. I posted some shots a few pages back from when I first started the game and was actually impressed initially. It goes to total shit after that. =p

Again though, I think Frima probably did the best they could all things considered, and it's not like the port is completely unplayable or anything.
I don't think only the first episode had the most care and everything after is worse. The second episode certainly suffers the most. The brighter areas look horrible with the downgrade in lighting and overall muddy textures. Darker and more enclosed areas tend to be not that bad in my opinion.

Some screenshots from episode 3.
2015-11-22-190945susjn.jpg

2015-11-22-19185232s1b.jpg

2015-11-23-203646f8sbu.jpg

There is even a non-buggy fence!

Still not a great port and I wish Sony would put a bit more effort in patching it. Especially the performance issues on some of the raid mode maps.

Top Bottom