• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post in here if you think Microsoft is truly hosed next round (no ray tracing crap, please)

Fitzchiv

Sony has no problem at all selling $400 consoles though.
Different target audience.

Apart from games being MS' biggest issue for years, the only thing they'll end is their console-production if next-gen either their entire strategy fails, or GamePass/xCloud take off.

Yeh just bear in mind I'm talking about next generation and impact on the next. If MS, Nintendo, Google, Steam etc all let you access multiple libraries on a single device that ISN'T a PlayStation it puts Sony under a fair amount of pressure. This is what I mean about MS ending the console war, it's entirely in theirs, and others, interests to do so. Blockbuster didn't think Netflix would have the impact on their channel of delivery.

Sony don't have problem selling $400 boxes right now, but they may well in the future if you can buy a $400 box that you can play everyone else's libraries on. Or that functionality is built directly into the TV. I think unified hardware solutions from mass manufacturers like Samsung, LG etc are less than 10 years away and the fight will be over whose library works on what. Sony are actually well placed for that fight, but it will mean they either open their hardware up , or move away from it.

Psykodad

Banned
Yeh just bear in mind I'm talking about next generation and impact on the next. If MS, Nintendo, Google, Steam etc all let you access multiple libraries on a single device that ISN'T a PlayStation it puts Sony under a fair amount of pressure. This is what I mean about MS ending the console war, it's entirely in theirs, and others, interests to do so. Blockbuster didn't think Netflix would have the impact on their channel of delivery.

Sony don't have problem selling $400 boxes right now, but they may well in the future if you can buy a $400 box that you can play everyone else's libraries on. Or that functionality is built directly into the TV. I think unified hardware solutions from mass manufacturers like Samsung, LG etc are less than 10 years away and the fight will be over whose library works on what. Sony are actually well placed for that fight, but it will mean they either open their hardware up , or move away from it.
Fair enough.
However, I look at Nintendo in the same way as Sony in that regard. Both are thriving in the current console landscape and I see no reason why either company should drastically change their course.

Stadia is a mess, GamePass/xCloud isn't standard yet and I don't see that happening next either. Can't comment on Steam and the likes as I'm a console-only gamer, but I assume Steam is just Steam and a totally different market than console gaming.

Last edited:

SquillieDee

Uh oh, someone got triggered by some words on the internet. How will he handle real life? How will he handle conflict, competing ideas and those who seek to antagonize him?

I'm rooting for you!

My brand is PC, and I'm posting on one that cost around 5k. To the right of me is a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X hooked up to an X930E. To the left, on a separate TV, an X950G, there is a Nintendo Switch, PS3, Wii U and Wii. Buried in some drawers, there is a PS Vita, 2 3DSXLs and another Nintendo Switch.

I own them all, and I will trash them all when needed.

Of course, I can take pictures for you. Seems like you may have been projecting your reality on to me, though, bud. Just saying. :)

I don't need to see any pictures of what you own. I guess I mistakenly assumed you were a PS fanboy because of your post, sounds like I was wrong about that. I still think your original post is a bit of a stretch...

ZywyPL

Banned

That's the point, this long-term strategy might actually push Sony back to the same spot Nintendo is right now - you will be able to have just one MS/Xbox profile, and you'll be able to play ALL the games, on ALL the platforms, with ALL your friends, everything thanks to combination of Play Anywhere and cross-play, whereas Sony might end up being completely sealed, outsided environment, even within its own Playstation ecosystem (PS5/PS6/and so on), which would in turn make people opt for MS first and foremost, and later jump on the PS to catch up with the exclusives, just like it's happening right now with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Fair enough.
However, I look at Nintendo in the same way as Sony in that regard. Both are thriving in the current console landscape and I see no reason why either company should drastically change their course.

Stadia is a mess, GamePass/xCloud isn't standard yet and I don't see that happening next either. Can't comment on Steam and the likes as I'm a console-only gamer, but I assume Steam is just Steam and a totally different market than console gaming.

Well, Nintendo chose to unify two form factors into a single proposition after a disastrous previous "big console" and sustained interest in handheld, so for me the example with them is evidence of the movement away from single ecosystem big boxes. Question with Nintendo is whether they can continue to shift hardware units purely based on how truly unique their game offer is, but make no mistake if the Switch wasn't portable it wouldn't have done so well.

And you're right, this new phase is in its infancy but for me in 7 years time the age of specific brand hardware locked ecosystems will be over.

Top Bottom