• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPP NC Poll : Trump Surges Fueled by Islamophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
PPP's new North Carolina poll finds Donald Trump at his highest level of support in the state yet. He's at 33% to 16% for Ted Cruz, 14% each for Ben Carson and Marco Rubio, 5% for Jeb Bush, 4% for Chris Christie, 3% for John Kasich, 2% each for Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, and Rand Paul, 1% each for Lindsey Graham and Rick Santorum, and less than 1% each for Jim Gilmore and George Pataki.

Trump's Islamophobia is a central feature of his appeal to his supporters:

-67% of his voters support a national database of Muslims in the United States, to only 14% opposed to it.

-62% believe his claims that thousands of Arabs cheered in New Jersey when the World Trade Center collapsed, to only 15% who don't believe that.

-51% want to see the Mosques in the country shut down, to only 16% against that.

-And only 24% of Trump supporters in the state even think Islam should be legal at all in the United States, to 44% who think it shouldn't be.
The release: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_NC_120815.pdf

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder if Trump has done this polling internally, weeks ago or more.

Mully

The poll was only taken among Republican voters in North Carolina. It's not indicative of a national surge.

This doesn't seem far fetched: If 35% of American voters are Republican voters (and worse case 65% if you include independent voters as they can technically vote in the NC primary.) and only 1/3 of those voters support trump, you are looking at 10% (20% worse, and unrealistic, case) who support him.

Now say 2/3's of those supporters support these views, and you are looking at around 6% of Republicans, and possibly 10% or so nationwide max, who support his views.

And honestly, most of these polls are "likely voters" which is like 1/2 to 2/3 of the total US population to begin with for Presidential contests, so the percentile of the population believing this would be even lower.

In short: Most likely 5% or less of the total US population is reflected in that polling if you assume NC GOP is similar to national GOP in views (and the polling %s are close).

EDIT: Actually now that I've read it, it seems it is not just Trump supporters, but instead all respondents, so the true answer is somewhere between 10-20% of US population as an estimate, depending on those questions.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You don't need internal polling to know any of this.

If you are going to hedge your campaign on it, you bet your ass you would double check before moving into this direction into what amounts to uncharted territory in recentish history.

Trump is to OT like Nintendo is to Gaming.

I love when the forums collide ;p

DarkKyo

It's disturbing to see so many people succumb to racism, but in a way it's also really satisfying to see the Republican party struggle with their shit identity. The past 15 years have been all about slight to rampant islamophobia for the Republicans. The constant fear mongering and the playing to people's emotions and instinctual rage... it's almost like as a party they've conditioned their voters to embrace the weird, loud garbage dispenser that Trump is.

Trump is to OT like Nintendo is to Gaming.

2943415-1242327766-tumbl.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
this is the 9th thread on the OT front page about Trump

Well, he is the next president of the USA. We should get used to talking about him a lot for a while.

Consistently we see the fringe candidates at the top of these polls with a much larger share than the mainstream Republicans, but the intelligentsia continues to proclaim that there will be a consolidation around an establishment figure by primary time and Trump will fade.

#lolok

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Jesus. The numbers are pretty high for all of the candidates.

32% of ALL respondents said that Islam should be illegal.

PBY

Banned
Consistently we see the fringe candidates at the top of these polls with a much larger share than the mainstream Republicans, but the intelligentsia continues to proclaim that there will be a consolidation around an establishment figure by primary time and Trump will fade.

#lolok

Can we safely say that the "safest" outcome they can hope for any more is Rubio?

Yea, I'm sure Islamophobia in general hasn't surged in the past few weeks. /s

true but you know some people will just look at the numbers without reading the entire thing and assume they speak for the whole country.

i'm actually scared to know what the national polling response would be to this...

Amir0x

Banned
And only 24% of Trump supporters in the state even think Islam should be legal at all in the United States, to 44% who think it shouldn't be.

And these are the same people who would call Obama a tyrant and say he doesn't understand American values. Do these people even understand what America is?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I am so goddamn sick of hearing about him. Fuck him, fuck his supporters, fuck the entirely too long election cycle, fuck all the threads in OT about him.

To be fair though it's not just GAF. He gets more attention than any other candidate in the news cycle. He's the constant topic of jokes in the late night circles.

Wake me up in Nov 2016 pls.

this is the 9th thread on the OT front page about Trump

Sounds like CNN.

Seriously though, Can we have a Trump OT or something?

(then again, I'd like anime, Marvel movies, and comics to all have OT's as well)

Get rid of those four topics and we'd have 3-4 threads a day. ;)

WE ARE THE TRUMP. LOWER YOUR POLLS AND SURRENDER YOUR VOTES. WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR CULTURE WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom