• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators... with Adrien Brody

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I want to be pumped up for this...but I really am not. Some parts look the right amount of gritty(like the multi-laser scene), but visually most of the trailer just has this generic blue-tinted look that seems to permeate every slasher movie these days. I don't like that shit. At all. And the cast is just big ol' MEH.

The trailer reminded me of the AVP films more than anything.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jett said:
I want to be pumped up for this...but I really am not. Some parts look the right amount of gritty(like the multi-laser scene), but visually most of the trailer just has this generic blue-tinted look that seems to permeate every slasher movie these days. I don't like that shit. At all. And the cast is just big ol' MEH.

^ Yeah, just with a higher quality cast, at least on paper. Definitely looks like most other mainstream horror movies, which isn't a good thing by any means. At the very least the trailer is cut in that exact style, but the fact that it's coming from a slasher director doesn't give me hope that the trailer is disingenuous.

JDSN

Banned
I think Shane will be the first to go, tho it obviously should be Topher Grace but im sure they needed him to the obligatory scene where the guy hacks some shit and escapes.

wRATH2x

Banned
jett said:

I want to see it but I'm not pumped either. Ahnold and the League of rugged manly men is just too awesome to top.

if you watch both the sneak peak and the trailer I think its pretty obvious who is gonna die first

Trejo is only shown in one of the scenes in a big group which looks to be very early on when they are all getting acquanted, so he's as good as dead. Plus he's the toughest looking one of the bunch and killing him first would send a message and make Adrian Brody and Topher Grace look less out of place for the rest of the movie

As a die-hard Predator fan I really like what I've seen so far

HATERS GONE HATE!

Dibbz

The sniper chick looks awesome, don't get the hate. At least she looks like she knows how to fire a gun.

predators16.jpg

moojito

You just never know. I bet when batman begins was just coming out people were like "meh, another batman film". Maybe even with the trailer, people weren't sure (I wish I could remember my first thoughts on the trailer for that). But anyway, when you started watching the film you could tell straight away it was not just more cheese. I hold out hope for this. I don't like what they've been doing to my beloved aliens and predators of late.

Also, if you fire a sniper rifle with your eye right up to the scope like that, aren't you just giong to get a massive black eye?

I'm actually glad they didn't go with another big guy. Would you all be happy with Vin Diesel? I like that they went the other direction...no point messing with the perfect past.

Having said that, I don't know about this. I hate it when movies go "the first one was good, but the monsters in this one are bigger, badder, MEANER". The Predator was awesome because, like in the original Alien and Jaws, they didn't show much of him at first--just enough to have you go "WTF...this is awesome". The retractable blade, the stalking heat vision, the mimic call, the glowing eyes. In the AvP movies, these things were just expanded tenfold. And it DIDN'T make them better.

I like the idea of an outcast Predator and I do kind of like the skull on his mask. But predator dogs...christ.

Official trailer is out: http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/predators/trailer

Also, how the FUCK does this blade fit into the gauntlet:

predatorsposter.jpg

Cast/characters look pretty awful. Even Predator 2 had an infinitely better cast. Design of the Predator(s) looks pretty stupid and more in line with what we saw in AvP.

Doesn't look terrible or anything but so far it doesn't look very exciting or even interesting based on that trailer.

VaLiancY

Space A Cobra said:
Cast/characters look pretty awful. Even Predator 2 had an infinitely better cast. Design of the Predator(s) looks pretty stupid and more in line with what we saw in AvP.

I don't get this. The Predators in AvP were huge, muscular and wide, the opposite of their designs in the first two Predator films at least AvPR gave the Predator it's athletic build back.

Zenith

Banned
VaLiancY said:
I don't get this. The Predators in AvP were huge, muscular and wide, the opposite of their designs in the first two Predator films at least AvPR gave the Predator it's athletic build back.

I saw it recently and it was embarassing how they waddled everywhere. Like when a power rangers enemy try to do kung fu moves inside a monster suit.

VaLiancY

Zenith said:
I saw it recently and it was embarassing how they waddled everywhere. Like when a power rangers enemy try to do kung fu moves inside a monster suit.

The Ridley Scott thread made me watch some behind scenes of the Alien series. I got to AvP and it was just dumb looking how big and oafish they made the Predator look. It just takes you out of it when you realize this thing is suppose to scale trees, be stealthy and be frightening.

Yasae

Banned
VaLiancY said:
I agree, they were ten feet tall in the avp movies.

And god help me for even watching those. Man they were bad.

Combine

Banned
From what I recall, the Predator bulkiness in the first AvP seemed more because they were wearing so much damn bulky armor. Sure they were also tall, but I don't think that's a problem. But also the fact that they didn't do a good job displaying their agility, which was of course, something the original did perfectly.

Zenith

Banned
Combine said:
From what I recall, the Predator bulkiness in the first AvP seemed more because they were wearing so much damn bulky armor. Sure they were also tall, but I don't think that's a problem. But also the fact that they didn't do a good job displaying their agility, which was of course, something the original did perfectly.

that came up in leaked pre-prod talk, about how the production team were saying Anderson's Predators were hideous becuase he'd decided to have the actors wear a bodysuit, and then put the armour on top of it rather than having it as part of the suit like in the old movies.

jett

D-Member
Dash Kappei said:
alien : aliens = predator : predators

I wish :p

Heh, I just noticed the reasoning behind the name. Rodriguez is aiming high at least.

Also, that was a stupid avatar quote.

moojito

I don't think it was that silly. Look at that single frame up the top of this page, with the woman and the sniper rifle. That doesn't look blue tinted to me. I know the look you're referring to, but it was as much a part of tdk's look (ie not at all) as it seems to be in this film.

I think the blue tint thing is more commonly seen in trailers and promotional stuff. That whole orange and blue thing.

jett

D-Member
moojito said:
I don't think it was that silly. Look at that single frame up the top of this page, with the woman and the sniper rifle. That doesn't look blue tinted to me. I know the look you're referring to, but it was as much a part of tdk's look (ie not at all) as it seems to be in this film.

I think the blue tint thing is more commonly seen in trailers and promotional stuff. That whole orange and blue thing.

I rewatched the trailer in case I was seeing things, but nope, the generic blue tint/desaturated look is immediately noticeable and it isn't anything like TDK.

I'm pretty sure the reason he posted my avatar is because the avatar is blue tinted. :p

moojito

jett said:
I'm pretty sure the reason he posted my avatar is because the avatar is blue tinted. :p

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=the dark knight&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Not just your avatar! Almost every picture on there is. As I mentioned, it's pretty common. I wouldn't assume from the trailer/pictures you might see that the whole film is going to be like that, would be my point.

edit: I see from re-reading your post that you were talking about the trailer, not necessarily the film. If so, my apologies, carry on!

jett

D-Member
moojito said:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=the dark knight&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Not just your avatar! Almost every picture on there is. As I mentioned, it's pretty common. I wouldn't assume from the trailer/pictures you might see that the whole film is going to be like that, would be my point.

edit: I see from re-reading your post that you were talking about the trailer, not necessarily the film. If so, my apologies, carry on!

Yeah I'm talking about the trailer...what else is there go on. :p I'll be surprised if the final cut is different. Maybe you're on to something, though. TDK's trailers had a puke-green tint that disappeared in the video release.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Trailer looked decent. So they are supposed to be on an alien planet? Seems kinda odd, since they are using modern weapons, were they abducted and dropped there?

Anyway, $50 says that katana slices through all sorts of improbable shit like tree trunks, stone columns, etc, then the first time he uses it against the predator wrist blade, it gets shorn in half :p

Looking forward to the automatic shotgun, looks like there is a mini-gun in there, and always love it when the Blaser sniper rifle makes an appearance. I cuddle mine and get all warm inside :p I just hope the humans use their heads, apply good tactics, and don't just stand there, firing from the hip into the jungle, while the predators run around and lop their heads off.

I hope there is a cameo or at least some references to the 'ol governator.

I think I'm going to go back and watch predator right now, actually.

Combine

Banned
Zenith said:
that came up in leaked pre-prod talk, about how the production team were saying Anderson's Predators were hideous becuase he'd decided to have the actors wear a bodysuit, and then put the armour on top of it rather than having it as part of the suit like in the old movies.
Woah, wtf kind of a dumbass idea was that? "Gee, lets put a dude in a huge heavy bodysuit, and lets cover him with the bulkiest armor possible, and oh, could you try and be agile please?"

No wonder Anderson is such a tool. How anyone would think that dumbass idea would turn out as anything good is truly remarkable.
Raydeen said:
Would have been cooler just to have Royce and 9 other alien species - perhaps throw in a Na'vi. :lol
Oh :lol, I could only imagine what Jim would think...
33nvpte.jpg

"don't touch my blue fuckers!"

Binabik15

So they´re showing AvP 2 for the first time on German tv and I´m watching it for "teh lulz".

The music vid look, the hunter getting his arm molten off by acid etc are already delievering 5 minutes in :lol If it keeps getting better (read: worse) I´ll be in line for Predators day one.

If you want to milk movie classics then at least work hard and turn that milk into cheese :D

Edit: beating up the pizza guy for no reason :lol :lol :lol

AniHawk

The more I think about it, the more I want the movie to be retitled, "Predators... with Adrien Brody"

They could make it a romantic comedy.

Looks interesting.

(looks up the directors previous movies)

I'll pass.

I guarantee this will average between 30-40 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Dead

well not really...yet
Set report...Spoiler warning applies...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=15086
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/articlenews.php?id=15088

As we arrived at the rather nondescript looking studio, we were ushered into their office building and into a conference room. As we walked in, we saw pre-production art and storyboards all over the walls. That's when we got our look at the new Predators. There was the
"Dog Handler" which had an alien-looking dog. It looked like a cross between the dogs in "Ghostbusters" and something off of a heavy metal album cover.
Then there was
the "Falconer" which, of course, used an alien hunting falcon. The falcon looked metallic and robotic – yet another new device in their arsenal.
Then there was
the "Super Predator", or "Black Predator" as they were alternately calling it.

Also seen on the wall was a
different type of alien. He was tall, pale, and a little Giger-esque. He vaguely resembled the aliens from "Independence Day".
As we discover later in the film,
he's a bit of a red herring for our newly captured humans.

Description of a scene from the film:
Nicotero: There's a great sequence where our heroes
realize that they're being hunted. What it was was our heroes are being tracked of course and their goal is to find out what's tracking them and what's hunting them. So they set a booby trap and they are able to successfully vanquish one of these creatures and they think it's a Predator. Then, they realize that it has the same altimeter that they're wearing, this little piece of alien machinery that was put on them. So all of a sudden they went, "Wait a minute, this thing isn't even one of the Predators. This isn't hunting us. This is being hunted just like we are." So it's this kind of weird little red herring sequence.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i want to believe this is going to be good, but some of those descriptions sound so fucking retarded. some people's inability to understand that sometimes less is more just baffles me.

Dead

well not really...yet
Drewsky said:
I will see this opening night, just because it is a Predator movie, and I will be prepared to be disappointed.
Theres really nowhere to go but up after the AVP flicks :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom