• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reactions to Wonder Woman

And that's relevant how?

That's Cooke's (RIP) version of Wonder Woman. This is mainstream DC's Wonder Woman:
4mKTiD1.jpg
And Gadot matches that version they're looking for.

Bobby, it's still Snyder directing Justice League.

My hope for the DCEU has always been isolated to this one film, Wonder Woman. I hope it's good and if it is, awesome. But if Wonder Woman is going to become the heart of the DCEU in the this film, it's probaby going to go into cardiac arrest in the next one.

So this is what it feels like to have me happen to people.

Your post is confusing to me because it seems to reference a reality that is alien and strange to everyone else's.

Really? I always thought Captain America wasn't that well received. Most people I know think it's pretty middle of the road compared to say, Iron Man. Though, not American, so maybe it just doesn't have the same appeal.

Sheroking

Really? I always thought Captain America wasn't that well received. Most people I know think it's pretty middle of the road compared to say, Iron Man. Though, not American, so maybe it just doesn't have the same appeal.

Away from the internet echo-chamber, Marvel Studios hasn't released a poorly received film in their entire MCU batch. Even Thor 2 was met with average critical and box-office reception for a film of it's size.

Captain America: The First Avenger didn't get the same love as Iron Man 1, but neither was it hated.

Away from the internet echo-chamber, Marvel Studios hasn't released a poorly received film in their entire MCU batch. Even Thor 2 was met with average critical and box-office reception for a film of it's size.

Captain America: The First Avenger didn't get the same love as Iron Man 1, but neither was it hated.

Sorry, phrased that poorly. I didn't mean that people didn't like it. Just that it was only considered "Alright". Was mostly just taken aback by Bobby treating it like it was some turning point in the MCU when most people were just like "Yeah that's alright I guess."

All I'm gonna say is:

1. Hyped that Gal Gadot is getting good marks for her performance. She's been largely unproven up to this point. She was good in BvS but didn't have much to work with. I've seen the other DCEU movies opening night (whygod) but didn't buy a ticket for this because I was worried about getting burned. These reactions might change my mind.
2. Hopeful that, given the continued popularity of superhero/comic book movies, we will eventually get a female lead/film with a physical appearance outside of the bounds of conventional Hollywood bodily "attractiveness".

Hey Anton.

What you think about the possibility the DCEU now has their own Cap?

But it's Diana Prince!

Did you ever think it'd be a possibility that Gal Gadot would be the one to put the DCEU on her shoulders? And is it less or more plausible than the concept of Chris Evans doing the same before First Avenger dropped?

Ha, I never even really thought of it that way.

I enjoyed The First Avenger but didn't think it signaled a different caliber of MCU movie, for me, at least. TWS was that.

Wow, who would have thought Cap/Evans would have taken off like that? Definitely not me. The biggest thing that First Avenger did was convince me that Evans doesn't have to be typecast as an asshole/douche all the time *and* that he can pull it off. Now that I think of it, though, Sunshine may have done that for me, since he was only kind of an asshole.

I can see it, though. Evans' Cap was a great mix of charm, wholesomeness, and virtue without being naive (beyond little bits of comedy). Sheeeeeeit, guess I'm gonna have to see Wonder Woman.

tiva

Neo Member
remember when the early reviews for batman v. superman came out and they were all super positive? then the movie sucked unbelievable amounts of ass? the dc movies have had a horrible track record so far and i have no reason to believe this one will be any different

Theorry

remember when the early reviews for batman v. superman came out and they were all super positive? then the movie sucked unbelievable amounts of ass? the dc movies have had a horrible track record so far and i have no reason to believe this one will be any different

Those were fan impressions. These are from critics.

Sorry, phrased that poorly. I didn't mean that people didn't like it. Just that it was only considered "Alright". Was mostly just taken aback by Bobby treating it like it was some turning point in the MCU when most people were just like "Yeah that's alright I guess."

Of course it's a turning point. It introduced Chris Evans' as Cap, and the characterization as introduced in that movie is the one that provided the entire MCU with its heart and its conscience

Without that movie, the universe is a LOT more hollow.

Which is why I said "a lot of Marvel fans didn't even realize after it came out that they were just given the heart of their universe"

Because a lot of them still don't.

remember when the early reviews for batman v. superman came out and they were all super positive?

I remember the last page of this thread where this exact same mistake was made by a poster who also didn't read anything before posting.

Tace

I hate the DCEU's dark and edgy "everybody has to be miserable" approach, so this sounds great.

I hope this makes WB realize you have to balance tone

Nepenthe

As a Marvel person, I'm genuinely excited that this has good impressions coming from it. I want to see a good DCEU movie, and I especially want to see a good superhero movie headlined by a woman. Crossing my fingers, and if this positivity results in a good critical reception, you can count on me to be there opening weekend.

Veelk

Banned
Genuinely surprised Gal Gadot seems to have pulled it off.

I thought her performance was bloody woeful in BVS.

I think it's the opposite. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't incredible or anything, because she felt like she was written into the script last minute with no idea of what her character should be. Given that and despite that, she's one of the few sparks of life within the film at all. Godot's the one who suggested that they should work in her smirking when fighting doomsday and generally just kind of enjoying herself. The vibe I get from her is"Okay, I'm gonna fight this CGI monster and it's gonna be awesome, watch me". Maybe that wouldn't be a big deal in other movies, but in BvS, it was a short lived, but effective shot of levity.

Theorry

I think it's the opposite. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't incredible or anything, because she felt like she was written into the script last minute with no idea of what her character should be. Given that and despite that, she's one of the few sparks of life within the film at all. Godot's the one who suggested that they should work in her smirking when fighting doomsday and generally just kind of enjoying herself. The vibe I get from her is"Okay, I'm gonna fight this CGI monster and it's gonna be awesome, watch me". Maybe that wouldn't be a big deal in other movies, but in BvS, it was a short lived, but effective shot of levity.

And she was great as Diana also. Bruce got played hard.

eizarus

Banned
Wonder Woman |OT| Hope, Justice, Crow

:p
If this isn't the OT title, we riot!

Well, not always, no. Since the mid-80s, maybe. But honestly, DC and Marvel are about as "dark", it just depends on what you're reading.
True but a lot of DC's darker ones are more mainstream than Marvel's heroes. That's not to say that Marvel don't have any dark storylines (shit just look at Superior Spider-Man)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
WW-17232cc.jpg

WW_1918_photo_0.jpg

Hair doesn't match. Movie ruined.
What's funny is the latest Empire magazine they talk about how they shot that photo. In the original black and white photo, they actually used one of those old cameras with the crazy long exposure and they had to stand there forever to take it. Then they had to re-create it for the WW movie and try to match it with regular cameras.

Agreed completely. She didn't have much to do, but when BvS has maybe 5 moments worth smiling at and she accounts for a few of them, it's easy to see she had potential.

eizarus

Banned
What's funny is the latest Empire magazine they talk about how they shot that photo. In the original black and white photo, they actually used one of those old cameras with the crazy long exposure and they had to stand there forever to take it. Then they had to re-create it for the WW movie and try to match it with regular cameras.
Couldn't they have used an Instagram filter?

MisterHero

You're all missing the point of New Froniter Wondy anyways.

She was VA'd by Lucy Lawless

Lucy Lawless can still play Earth 3 Wondy. Lynda Carter is Earth 2 and/or Prime.

I'd like to see this turn out well, good will towards all the players and I like the WW period setting a la Captain America 1 (which I enjoy more every time I see it). Gadot seems fine in the trailers and Chris Pine is always reliable. And apparently the duo have good chemistry.

BadAss2961

Your post is confusing to me because it seems to reference a reality that is alien and strange to everyone else's.
Who still references The First Avenger? As an inspiration, something to aspire to, a reminder, a quote, or anything at all? It's just been list fodder for several years already. More relevant now more than it's been in the last 5 years or so because of similarities to the Wonder Woman movie. It was a thing that happened, that's about it.

Would be much nicer to sniff the aforementioned Superman '78 instead.

a916

Wonder Woman 2.

A resurrected Slipknot steals the Lasso of Truth. Uh, Hades sent him.

Justice League 3 has its villain.

All I'm saying.

I don't want to spoil anything... but the Lasso of Truth is known by another name...

The Rope of Truth. The true owner of it is Slipknot aka Rope Guy.

MisterHero

So, on their 4th try, the DCEU finally gets a good movie? About time.
But but Marvel had 5 movies before Avengers

Iron Man Mark 1 - cool
Hulk - eh
Thor - eeeehhhhhh
Iron Man 2 - eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh
The Star Spangled Man - The Best

With enough time they'll just be 4 movies in a whole collection. Thor may be getting his best movie after his 5th(?) appearance

WB have enough money to outlast a few years of bad press and will hopefully find what works and what doesn't for their own universe.

Falifax

I swear I've seen Ewan Bremner in another WW1-set movie wearing the same headdress (a Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders glengarry, for all you military nerds).

Or you're just thinking of the scene in The Rundown where he's playing the bagpipes.

At least that was the first thing I thought of when I saw him in that photo.

So, on their 4th try, the DCEU finally gets a good movie? About time.
Keep in mind, the first four MCU movies were Iron Man, Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor

People seem to not like Hulk and Iron Man 2, while Thor goes either way (I personally don't like it, no powers booo).

The biggest thing is Marvel had a hit with Iron Man up front vs. still needing to prove themselves to audiences like DC

(I actually dug Hulk and IM2 when they came out though, so what do I know)

A Female director and an female SH saving DC. Cool!
Yup. And if the movie is as good as this impressions are leading us to believe, let's hope the box office reflects the quality.

And as for those saying MCU took a while to get going, they had a home run in their first try, then some stumbling after that until Cap 1. DCEU has been varying shades of shit from the start. It is nice that they may finally find their footing.

Rooster12

Genuinely surprised Gal Gadot seems to have pulled it off.

I thought her performance was bloody woeful in BVS.

I think it's the same bloody performance.

The difference here being:

1. The story is concise, straight-forward, well-plotted, no stupid plot-holes.

2. Good supporting characters (who can act)

3. Good villain.

Top Bottom