• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price change for Xbox LIVE Gold subscription $60=The new $50

I'm sure there will still be times you can find $35 deals on a year Xbox Live, I think this is just aimed at the masses who just keep their credit card attached to their account and auto reup without even thinking about it.

I don't enjoy paying $35-$50 for a year of live but will a $10 a year increase make a difference to me, not really.

ampere

GillianSeed79 said:
True. I think I have enough 3 month free subscription cards laying around to get me through until next console cycle. Looks like I better start saving money.
Not to criticize or lecture you but I remember in that possum-gaf thread you seemed to have money troubles.

I would highly recommend being more prudent in situations such as this, if you cancel your XBL subscription and get your credit card removed you can buy the 12 month cards for much cheaper:

$40 right now on Amazon vs the $7.99 * 12 = $95.88 you are paying per year now if you use the monthly renewal.

But yeah if you have 3 month cards just cancel and keep making new accounts

soco

i was always curious why it was cheaper in the US than in Europe. i was paying like 60Euro when i first got my 360.

HixxSAFC said:
I wish Microsoft would bring out a different tier of pricing for those of us who don't use all the guff that Gold 'enables'. I mean I use Gold purely for MP, not any of this last.fm/twitter/facebook shit. Raising the price just means I will cancel it, sick of being ripped off. Time to cancel my subscription me thinks.

What do you think 99% of Gold members are paying for? Multiplayer. That's the trick. MS allows that for Silver, and suddenly they aren't getting obscene amounts of cash each year for running some matchmaking servers.

If you want online for Silver, you got to vote with your wallet. But XBL Gold subscribers are only increasing, so fat chance of that ever happening :lol

So Sony give a service where you could potentially get £200 of savings a year. . .and Microsoft put their prices up for the same service. Interesting. Sony won't like this. Sony will put their prices up. :lol

Genesis Knight said:
As said above, inflation accounts precisely for this price hike.

I'm sorry, but they couldn't even justify $50 in 2002, considering it's P2P and has advertising...
This isn't inflation, it's pure money grubbing.
And sadly, people are falling for it.

jmd494

Oh come on! The increase is only $10 A YEAR...as in, about the price of a Snickers bar once a month.

But I do agree in principle...How do you have the balls to announce a price increase when you're #1 competitor is still free?

DuckRacer said:
This. The codes won't expire anytime soon, so all I need to do is redeem one once a month.

Fuck. Why didn't I think of this? I stopped getting new codes after I had enough for three yrs.

Red Blaster said:
So, who's going to be the first to defend this?

Didn't you read posts claiming how people always buy it on sale so it's not a real issue?

Meier

I like how people thought the price would eventually go away. Hey, maybe they'll get rid of the ads now!

In all honesty, I bet the $10 is going to ESPN for licensing ESPN360 access.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Red Blaster said:
So, who's going to be the first to defend this?
Its adjusting based on the rise of inflation as caluclated by the CPI.

$60 today really is worth just as much as $50 in 2002 based on inflation rates, give or take $1

Hixx

Green Biker Dude said:
the reason for them not to do it is pretty obvious: for the vast majority of the userbase, xbox live gold is paid to play multiplayer. the end.

the other features are just bullet points. if they had you pay, say, 5 bucks a year to play online and 60 to use all the BLING BLING, 99% of the gold subscribers would switch to the cheaper plan and they'd lose a lot of their revenue

Hence the 'I wish' :D

I also wish SAFC would win the league annually, never comes true :lol

Safe Bet

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
As said above, inflation accounts precisely for this price hike.
Too bad unemployment has risen and wages decreased in that same period fuckwad.

Hint: inflation is a "bad thing" and you don't justify doing it (in a down turning economy) because everyone else is. It makes the problem worse.

Alucrid

Banned
Justin Dailey said:
Oh come on! The increase is only $10 A YEAR...as in, about the price of a Snickers bar once a month.

But I do agree in principle...How do you have the balls to announce a price increase when you're #1 competitor is still free?

But I don't buy a snicker's bar once a month.

desa

HixxSAFC said:
I wish Microsoft would bring out a different tier of pricing for those of us who don't use all the guff that Gold 'enables'. I mean I use Gold purely for MP, not any of this last.fm/twitter/facebook shit. Raising the price just means I will cancel it, sick of being ripped off. Time to cancel my subscription me thinks.

Agreed. I don't use any of that other shit that's unrelated to gaming. I got a PC to do it for free. I've paid $30 for my subscriptions and still feel ripped off. No more taking it up the ass. Take that dick back and eat it microsoft!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Justin Dailey said:

because the business have proven itself against the free option (on other consoles, pc gamers were having none of it)

Microsoft make billions from this stuff and crap like avatar items. If Sony could turn the clock back I bet they would.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Justin Dailey said:

Yeah bro, I wish all of my real bills went up $10 a year. It's only chump change.

H_Prestige said:
What do you think 99% of Gold members are paying for? Multiplayer. That's the trick. MS allows that for Silver, and suddenly they aren't getting obscene amounts of cash each year for running some matchmaking servers.

If you want online for Silver, you got to vote with your wallet. But XBL Gold subscribers are only increasing, so fat chance of that ever happening :lol
:lol Paying for matchmaking servers? That's a good one.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Justin Dailey said:

So is this the new defense now? You're only paying 1 Snickers bar a month? :lol

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
elrechazao said:
Ridiculous. Sony should start an ad campaign and mock the everliving shit out of this.

Which would come back and bite them in the ass when they do the same next gen, Sony didn't charge for online just to one-up MS in advertisement bullet points, if they had the same features at launch as live then we'd be paying for PSN also, it's a smart business model and one that MS is proving is successful and very profitable.

Brazil said:
:lol

I'll go hug my PS3s now.

Enjoy free online multiplayer for at least a couple of years more. Sony isn't going to ignore this easy source of income, and current management has shown several times they don't care about removing past features of the console.

244wot4.gif
:D:D

Alucrid said:
But I don't buy a snicker's bar once a month.

Who buys $10 Snickers bars? Did they start adding crack to Snickers bars when I wasn't looking? (kidding)

The worst thing is there are even more ads now on NXE than before, so how can they justify a $10 price hike.

Talamius

It's really hard to get angry over this. If you're content with getting charged for a service when everyone else is getting similar services for free, that's on you.

Safe Bet said:
Too bad unemployment has risen and wages decreased in that same period fuckwad.

Hint: inflation is a "bad thing" and you don't justify doing it (in a down turning economy) because everyone else is. It makes the problem worse.

Can this be auto-replied to every post that contains the word "inflation" on the gaming forum?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Protip: Turn off auto-subscribe and let your sub expire, and a good deal will magically be placed in your 360 dashboard ads to try and woo you back.

I got 3 1-month renewals for $1 each this way earlier this year, and $10 for 3 months more recently. So I've paid only $13 for half a year.

lowrider007 said:
Which would come back and bite them in the ass when they do the same next gen, Sony didn't charge for online just to one-up MS in advertisement bullet points, if they had the same features at launch as live then we'd be paying for PSN also, it's a smart business model and one that MS is proving is successful and very profitable.
It's all about now. Take advantage. We all know sony takes away features, but short term boost to rake in pissed off customers? why not.

Momo said:
You know, paying for online gaming is fundamentally fucked up to start with.
Pretty much, that's why I refuse to buy any multiplayer games for 360. I'd rather play them for free on the ps3 and, of course, the pc.

see5harp

lowrider007 said:

Sad but true. Hopefully next time around Sony stays free and can take more of the market and provide some competition.

Safe Bet said:
My decision to wait for Lara Croft on Steam completely redeemed!

PS

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT

You want me to pay to play online?

Offer me a service worth paying for fuck twats.
I don't use XBL or have a 360 or anything, but I though XBL offered the best console online service? Why is there such a crazy reaction over $10?

Top Bottom