• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price change for Xbox LIVE Gold subscription $60=The new $50

Just wait until later this year when microsoft raises the price of their games to $70 to compensate for inflation.

H_Prestige said:
So tell me then, how does online multiplayer work on the 360?
It's person to person like it's always been... Why do you think people constantly bitch about host advantage?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Pancakes R Us said:
I don't use XBL or have a 360 or anything, but I though XBL offered the best console online service? Why is there such a crazy reaction over $10?

Businesses should be a charity despite great service.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Everytime my mind starts to wander back to consoles shit like this happens, and I go oh yeah THAT's why you play a ton of PC games.

MIMIC

Banned
Free live until 2013 for me.

Stacking and hoarding those free 1 months was a worthwhile effort :)

EDIT: Actually, til 10/19/2012

verbum

Also November 1st,

Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack

Get the whole family together for games, entertainment, and fun!

Coming this November, the new Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack gives you four individual 12 Month Xbox LIVE Gold memberships for only $99.99. Enjoy Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, and last.fm, not to mention the newly announced ESPN and Video Kinect.

Features:

* Enjoy four Gold memberships for the price of two
* Easily manage memberships with Family Center
* Gift points to family members with points allowances
* Get exclusive family-friendly content and discounts
* Already a Gold member? You can easily upgrade to Family Pack

The price increase makes the family pack look like a great deal. Going for the casuals.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/familypack

Safe Bet said:
Too bad unemployment has risen and wages decreased in that same period fuckwad.

Hint: inflation is a "bad thing" and you don't justify doing it (in a down turning economy) because everyone else is. It makes the problem worse.

Hint: Microsoft isn't 'doing' inflation, whatever you're even trying to say. They're raising prices on a luxury good because a) they can and people will still pay because they feel they are still deriving utility and b) it's technically justified by the lower buying power of the dollar today vs. 2002. You really think any of these companies are going to not 'do' inflation 'because everyone else is', just to help out the people? You sound like a fuckwad with an entitlement complex or a poor grasp of economics.

Pancakes R Us said:
I don't use XBL or have a 360 or anything, but I though XBL offered the best console online service? Why is there such a crazy reaction over $10?

because 80 cents a month is 80 cents a month. It's the same shit with 15$ map DLC, they know they can get away with it and they will continue to do it.

beast786

Genesis Knight said:

15dmce0.gif

With this logic the original 360 should be more expensive now.

Raide

How many people actually pay the full price for XBL? I don't think I have ever paid £40 for 12months. There are so many offers out there, I never have to pay the full amount. :lol

soco

GillianSeed79 said:
Who buys $10 Snickers bars? Did they start adding crack to Snickers bars when I wasn't looking? (kidding)

The worst thing is there are even more ads now on NXE than before, so how can they justify a $10 price hike.

maths how does it work?!

Really, I thought this was a joke. Well at least I am good until March 2011. Hopefully, Amazon has some sells this coming November.

Pctx

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Hate to say it but PC always wins.
Fixed.

I feel for the Xbox user base. I'm assuming there's a new best seller coming out this fall... How to live the Xbox Live Diet. :lol

clav

Shig said:
Protip: Turn off auto-subscribe and let your sub expire, and a good deal will magically be placed in your 360 dashboard ads to try and woo you back.

I got 3 1-month renewals for $1 each this way earlier this year, and $10 for 3 months more recently. So I've paid only $13 for half a year.
Usually there are 12+1 = 13 month cards that cost $30.

That's when I jump into renew. Otherwise, I stick with Silver.

Still pretty ridiculous how the price went up. It should be going down.

Newer games have shown the flaws of p2p matchmaking (i.e. Modern Warfare 2), and it's sad how we still don't have dedicated servers for popular games when PC platforms have that at no cost.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Raide said:
How many people actually pay the full price for XBL? I don't think I have ever paid £40 for 12months. There are so many offers out there, I never have to pay the full amount. :lol
Last time I paid it was about £23 for 13 months... since then I've been on free months through to 2013.

seady

When everyone thinks how they are going to turn Live free due to competition, and they decided to raise the price. :lol I am sure a lot of suckers can't wait to pay that high price though and try to defend it.

I have been against Live since a year ago. I will never subscribe to that stupid 'service' that is free on all other platforms in existence.

AceBandage said:
I'm sorry, but they couldn't even justify $50 in 2002, considering it's P2P and has advertising...
This isn't inflation, it's pure money grubbing.
And sadly, people are falling for it.
people with Xboxes don't have a choice. Live is still by far the best online gaming service. the effective integration of features still give it value-add over competing services. they decided to charge for people to enjoy that advantage.

IMO, as long as Live provides a distinctly better gaming experience for my friends and I, I'll continue paying $3/$4 month or whatever it is now. and as long as Microsoft feels obligated to continue keeping the service the best, I'll pay for it. they day PSN reaches parity, I'll re-evaluate paying.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Diebuster said:
The worst part about the increase is they're going to get away with it.

Quixzlizx said:
Yeah brah, consumers exercising their rights is destroying the free market as we know it.

Because people like the service despite all the bitching and moaning on neogaf.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just cancelled my auto-renewal via phone (which appears to be the only way) - I'll just stick with 1 year cards from now on.

EDIT: They offered me 1 year for $29 right then and there w/400 msp. Surprising, but I turned it down.

Also: I wipe my ass with $10s, I don't know what the huge deal is :lol

V_Ben

Banned
Diebuster said:
The worst part about the increase is they're going to get away with it.

People are all talk and no trousers. They bitch and moan about increased prices (see MW2 DLC), but nothing ever comes of it. Microsoft will easily get away with this.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
H_Prestige said:
Enjoy free online multiplayer for at least a couple of years more. Sony isn't going to ignore this easy source of income, and current management has shown several times they don't care about removing past features of the console.
Ok.

verbum

Mojo said:
guys its only 16 cents a day if you cant afford that then you should quit gaming losers xbox4life

If you go fishing, remember to use bait that looks natural. Putting big gobs of bait on the hook make most fish swim away.

RdN said:
When I saw the tweet from Major Nelson I thought: "Finally, they're dropping the price!".. and then I read the blog post and was like "WTF?!".. :lol

Sure, Xbox Live is a great service.. I'm a subscriber since 2003, but I just get past the fact that we still get P2P only games.

Could have fooled me.

Meier

Meier said:
I like how people thought the price would eventually go away. Hey, maybe they'll get rid of the ads now!

In all honesty, I bet the $10 is going to ESPN for licensing ESPN360 access.
Quoting myself because I'm likely right and people should take note. I'm sure some of this increase is going to ESPN. They account for the biggest part of your monthly cable bill -- something like $4 a month. $10 for the year seems feasible.

Slayer-33 said:
Businesses should be a charity despite great service.

Yeah, because you didn't already pay for the console that will be hosting the matches, you didn't already pay for the $60 game that has the multiplayer code on it, and you aren't already paying for the internet that allows it all to work.

Nelo Ice

Banned
verbum said:
Also November 1st,

The price increase makes the family pack look like a great deal. Going for the casuals.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/familypack

and theres this
http://kotaku.com/5572764/xbox-360s-live-gold-family-plan-could-be-free-for-you

West said that Microsoft will look at the value of the remaining time you have left on the total number of accounts you are rolling over into the Family plan and then give you the appropriate amount of credit towards the $99 sign-up fee.

If the accounts you are rolling into the plan have more credit than the $99 it costs to start the plan, Microsoft will extend your membership for the appropriate number of months.

think i'll doing this plan with my cousins since i have a ton of stacked and i'll get more months for doing it anyway :lol
While the four gold accounts have to be created on the same Xbox 360, they don't have to stay on the same Xbox 360, West confirmed.

Quixzlizx

Genesis Knight said:
Hint: Microsoft isn't 'doing' inflation, whatever you're even trying to say. They're raising prices on a luxury good because a) they can and people will still pay because they feel they are still deriving utility and b) it's technically justified by the lower buying power of the dollar today vs. 2002. You really think any of these companies are going to not 'do' inflation 'because everyone else is', just to help out the people? You sound like a fuckwad with an entitlement complex or a poor grasp of economics.

You're the one with the poor grasp of business/economics if you assume that inflation on individual products all inevitably tack with the general rate of inflation, especially a product that is technology-driven.

Jeff-DSA

Mojo said:
guys its only 16 cents a day if you cant afford that then you should quit gaming losers xbox4life

It's not about that, man. It's that they're raising the price after saying "hey everybody, ESPN is coming and it'll be free!" when it's clear that they're just backdoor charging it. It's a big time scam that they're pulling on their paying customers.

Quixzlizx said:
The "only scrubs pay full price" line of thinking doesn't take into account that the sale prices will most likely increase as well.

Never said that but if you pay attention you can get it for way cheaper like a lot of GAF members. I always buy mine for $30 so if this takes affect I'll have to pay $40 in two years when my membership is up.

Synless said:
Good thing I own a PS3.

I own one too... problem is my friends in real life who I pay with online don't.

ZZMitch

snap0212 said:
You have a PSN ID in your profile, so you probably own a PS3?

I do, but frankly, PSN is a joke compared to XBL and the vast majority of my friends play on XBL so I will continue to pay.

The ESPN function is going to be shit anyway. It's just like ESPN3 on the computer which means I can watch second tier tennis matches, and the Little League World Series. Woopty Freaking Do.

Top Bottom