• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 1080p on PS4 - 900p on Xbox One. 60fps on both.

Nah. 4K is easy enough. I built my PC years ago, just slapped a 970 FTW into in and it now plays most all of my games in 4K at max settings.

Only had to drop resolution or settings on Crysis 3, The Witcher 2, and expecting the Witcher 3.

But if you had 2 970s, or better, you would be fine for almost everything.

Also, 4K gaming is amazing. Game changer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Also, this news is expected. Interesting I know a lot of people had hope the updates since launch would allow devs to hit 1080p, and I think Bungie even said it is what let them hit 1080p on XBO. However that seems to have not become a trend.

Unfortunately updates won't inherently change the guts, now I'm not complaining about my xbox one's visual fidelity, I've played some drop dead gorgeous games on it, however the truth is the system just is not capable of doing 1080 locked 60, there is always a trade off, and in that case I'm fine if we need to slightly drop in resolution so we can play at 60

danowat

Banned
why are people bringing up AF..?

Because it's just as much a consideration for IQ as resolution is.

If you have both consoles, the 1080/900 divide isn't that much if the PS4 version has no AF, it makes deciding what version to buy difficult.

Forza 5 looks pretty damn good, but I get ya. The Xbox One footage we have seen of Project Cars looks amazing, so I actually think it will be more than fine at 900p.

It looks good but everything is baked and static in Forza 5 game compared to dynamic lighting and weather of Project cars.

If you have both consoles, the 1080/900 divide isn't that much if the PS4 version has no AF, it makes deciding what version to buy difficult.

But AF can be patched easily without performance impact and resolution is not. So PS4 version with resolution still wins for sure as we can bet patch for AF will be there if they missed somehow very soon like other games which got patched.

danowat

Banned
But AF can be patched easily without performance impact and resolution is not. So PS4 version with resolution still wins for sure as we can bet patch for AF will be there if they missed somehow very soon like other games which got patched.

Just assumption at the moment, we'll have to wait and see what the obligatory DF face-off comes up with.

Theorry

More important are the frames imo. I like 1080p over 900p offcourse. But it isnt that much difference in my eyes. But if the game runs at 1080p and has some drops and the 900p version doesnt. Then i prefer the 900p version everytime.

Metfanant

That shouldn't be a problem now that Sony has put out a technical bulletin reminding developers about it, and games are being patched

Just assumption at the moment, we'll have to wait and see what the obligatory DF face-off comes up with.
what's an assumption? Multiple games have been patched with no performance degradation at all

Why would any one assume the PS4 version won't have AF? Yes it has been an issue, but only in a small number of games with the most recent offenders getting patches with no negative effect on performance at all.

bombshell

If Sony would just get their asses in gear and strike a deal with Logitech for some wheel drivers, then I will get the 1080p version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was expecting 1080p@60fps on XOne,guess the game is more demanding then I thought.

Fox Mulder

But what about the definitely-not-cancelled Wii U version?

They canceled the last gen console versions, so a wiiu port would require more work now right?

I'm glad they're focusing on the main platforms now, the wiiu will be there whenever they get it out.

12k resolution on PC... how many gtx980 etc. needed for it to be playable? lol

image.jpg

Crayon

i didn't know they were planning a wii version. My first thought is "how nice of them." When of course it should be "how wise of them". I think it will sell fine there. Everybody loves cars.

Nozem

List of games with resolution differences according to resolutiongate.com:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: GHOSTS
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dying Light
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Lego The Hobbit
Lords of the Fallen
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metro Redux
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
Project Cars
Shadow Warrior
The Evil Within
The Golf Club
The Lego Movie Videogame
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Thief 4
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Trials Fusion
Watch_Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Still less than I thought.

ShamePain

Banned

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dying Light
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Lego The Hobbit
Lords of the Fallen
Metro Redux
Project Cars
Shadow Warrior
The Evil Within
The Golf Club
The Lego Movie Videogame
Thief 4
Trials Fusion
Watch_Dogs

That's like 95% of currentgen game library.

D-VoN

I don't think there is even a single GPU that can run a game at 4K and 60fps at the moment.

You can easily run a lot of older games. I have a GTX 770 4GB and I can run Dark Souls II and others effortlessly at 1440p. Just imagine what a 980 can do.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dying Light
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Lego The Hobbit
Lords of the Fallen
Metro Redux
Project Cars
Shadow Warrior
The Evil Within
The Golf Club
The Lego Movie Videogame
Thief 4
Trials Fusion
Watch_Dogs

That's because that's about the amount of games that are actually pushing the systems on current gen. Expect the same going forward.

With remasters and ports, and indies which are not pushing the GPU's, it makes sense for them to be 1080p on both.

mike4001_

Waiting for digital foundry then ..

wouldn´t be the first time that 1080p on PS4 trades off framerate which is more stable on X1´s 900p ...

For a car game a locked 60 is a must (IMHO)

wouldn´t be the first time that 1080p on PS4 trades off framerate which is more stable on X1´s 900p ...

Framerate was stable in PS4 for every game like XB1 except very few cases where there will minor 1-2FPS diff on avg which are barely noticeable by most and these very rare cases only Digital foundry can find them, so they can say XB1 version has advantage to give more spotlight than PS4 version which they did in almost every faceoff recently.

I don't think there is even a single GPU that can run a game at 4K and 60fps at the moment.
Sure there are.

You should wait for other comparison outlets too if you're interested in getting accurate information.

They targeted 1080p 60fps on both the X1 and the PS4 and it would have been nice if they could have hit there target on both but 900p should be fine.

_machine

Oh just by the way they've already demoed the 12K support early last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaN61w2BYLs

Didn't see it myself but a friend told me it was legit amazing and that was with 15 months of development ago. Oh and with the in-game downsampling tool you can then downsample it from 4.5X resolution (9X pixels, DS9X AA Mode in-game) reaching a whopping 223 million pixels rendered per frame (4K is just 8 million pixels).

They do indeed. But this is less about console wars and more about knowing which version to get, if you had the option, and cared about resolution etc.
Indeed, I bought a new 1080p tv specifically for gaming with low input lag to take full advantage of my console gaming experience. Rightfully so I want 1080p 60fps as much as possible. Console wars suck and if the Xbox Two or whatever they call the next console is the more powerful one out of that and the next PS I will buy my multiplats on there. Brand loyalty is fine but ultimately I want the best console gaming experience regarding games.

fresquito

They do indeed. But this is less about console wars and more about knowing which version to get, if you had the option, and cared about resolution etc.
I'm not sure most people here are taking this little piece of info in that direction. But the choice is easy:

1. Where your friends and the people you know that will be playing the game are.
2. If you have no friends nor know anybody, then go for the better version.

But people are fighting here and there over 180 fucking lines, like they make a huge difference.

Top Bottom