• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 1080p on PS4 - 900p on Xbox One. 60fps on both.

Tenebrous

They're both 60fps, which is what REALLY matters, but still, the trend continues.

12k, though. Time to remortgage the house. I reckon two Titan X would pull it off.

_machine

They're both 60fps, which is what REALLY matters, but still, the trend continues.

12k, though. Time to remortgage the house. I reckon two Titan X would pull it off.
Since it was lost in the bottom of the page, you can actually push it even further than 12K. With the in-game downsampling AA methood you can then downsample the 12K result from 4.5X resolution (9X pixels, DS9X AA Mode in-game) reaching a whopping 223 million pixels rendered per frame (4K is just 8 million pixels).

le-seb

But people are fighting here and there over 180 fucking lines, like they make a huge difference.
Because the people interested in the console version will probably play the game on a 1080p screen, where not using the native resolution has the consequence of altering IQ in a bad way?

fresquito

Because the people interested in the console version will probably play the game on a 1080p screen, where not using the native resolution has the consequence of altering IQ in a bad way?
Because the people interested in the console version already know which versions they can play and don't need anybody telling them this or that?

Seriously. This resolution gate is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in gaming. Right now there're systems running 12k resolutions and people are fighting over 180 lines just to prove how superior their system is? It's laughable, to say the least.

cakely

Seriously. This resolution gate is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in gaming. Right now there're systems running 12k resolutions and people are fighting over 180 lines just to prove how superior their system is? It's laughable, to say the least.

I don't see people "fighting" about this.

Given a choice, I'd rather play a game in my TV's native resolution than have to deal with the output of an upscaler, and for this reason, 1080p is a better choice than 900p or 768p. It's pretty simple, really.

Gestault

This seems totally reasonable, given the rendering "budget" for each version. I do hope IQ is handled well across the board, and that the 60 fps is consistent. I don't want framerate jittering or screen-tearing going into a wide turn.

I'm excited at how this is coming along. The big track-list announcement put a lot of coal in my hype-train.

le-seb

Because the people interested in the console version already know which versions they can play and don't need anybody telling them this or that?

What's this thread about, already?
Ah yes, it's about the resolution of the game on consoles.

Some people are interested in knowing what the game will be able to run at on the console(s) they own, and that's why such threads exist.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Nah. 4K is easy enough. I built my PC years ago, just slapped a 970 FTW into in and it now plays most all of my games in 4K at max settings.

Only had to drop resolution or settings on Crysis 3, The Witcher 2, and expecting the Witcher 3.

But if you had 2 970s, or better, you would be fine for almost everything.

I was planning on throwing a 970 into my build but don't 4k monitors still cost a crapload?

fresquito

What's this thread about, already?
Ah yes, it's about the resolution of the game on consoles.

Some people are interested in knowing what the game will be able to run at on the console(s) they own, and that's why such threads exist.
Yeah, that's why you see people saying things such as PS4 version will have drops in framerate just because and posting lists of games on Xbox being 900p while 1080p on PS4... right...

Time to move on...

Respawn

Banned
Because it's just as much a consideration for IQ as resolution is.

If you have both consoles, the 1080/900 divide isn't that much if the PS4 version has no AF, it makes deciding what version to buy difficult.
That's wasn't his point I think. The PS4 does not have an AF issue. Yeah I've seen the threads.

le-seb

^
Aliasing, though.

Yeah, that's why you see people saying things such as PS4 version will have drops in framerate just because and posting lists of games on Xbox being 900p while 1080p on PS4... right...
Such arguments aren't better or worse than saying 180 lines don't make a difference, like you did.
And as you may have noticed, these arguments were challenged, too.

The issue with Forza 5 is it had horrible AA, or basically no AA whatsoever. I think Horizon 2 looks and plays so much better despite being only 30fps.

Waiting for digital foundry then ..

wouldn´t be the first time that 1080p on PS4 trades off framerate which is more stable on X1´s 900p ...

For a car game a locked 60 is a must (IMHO)

This happens far less often than people seem to think, but nothing wrong with seeing a proper comparison to decide which version to buy.

Fox Mulder

yep, if you care about resolution so much play on PC.

Shin-Ra

I'm not sure most people here are taking this little piece of info in that direction. But the choice is easy:

1. Where your friends and the people you know that will be playing the game are.
2. If you have no friends nor know anybody, then go for the better version.

But people are fighting here and there over 180 fucking lines, like they make a huge difference.

HideLarf.gif

Forza 5 is a good example of a game running at ideal framerate/resolution with good presentation. Like they said, it's an indication it can be done, but obviously it's not a simple task.

I'm pretty sure PCars will be considerably better looking than Forza 5.
Of course they could get Pcars to run at 1080p/60FPS on XboxOne, but in orer to achieve that they needed to downgrade the graphics and they're probably not willing to do that.

I assume when they say "12k" they don't actually mean 12k but rather 3 4k's lined up next to each other. This will give a horizontal resolution of 12k but a vertical one of "only" that which exists on a 4k monitor - approx 2,000px.

Not that it's not insane, but when resolution's "double" the number of pixels on screen increases by 4x, where as in this example I think that's not the case.

900p = 1600x900, not 1920x900.

ElNino

I expected this, but it still doesn't make the decision of which version to get any easier for me now that I have a PS4 as well.

Pros for PS4:
Higher resolution and (presumably) better IQ
Potentially bigger online community (but very few of my friends)
Remote play to Vita

Pros for X1:
General controller preference, particularly for racing games
More friends likely to be on X1 (but possibly smaller community as a whole)

So, for me at least, it comes down controller preference and friends versus visuals and remote play.

_machine

Well, Forza can do it. It could be done.
That's an unfair comparison given that Forza has about half the cars on grid, no dynamic Time of Day and lighting, no dynamic weather, less accurate tire simulation etc. Just because we are comparing two games of the same genre doesn't mean that they are even close to being comparable in terms of resources needed. pCars is also done with something like 1/10 of the budget with multiple platforms supported and a 3rd party developer.

Does he mean 3 x 4k monitors?
Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaN61w2BYLs

c0de

That's an unfair comparison given that Forza has about half the cars on grid, no dynamic Time of Day and lighting, no dynamic weather, less accurate tire simulation etc. Just because we are comparing two games of the same genre doesn't mean that they are even close to being comparable in terms of resources needed. pCars is also done with something like 1/10 of the budget with multiple platforms supported and a 3rd party developer.

Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaN61w2BYLs

but we also have to keep in mind forza was a launch game with a console where the sdk was in a very bad state to develop with.

Top Bottom