• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GAF Inn - $5,000 for a mark in Obsidian's Project Eternity [FUNDED!]

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
*presses thumbs for the GAF inn*

Any news on the exciting thing you wanted to share Shagg?

Clydefrog

FWFNX.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Keep in mind, in-jokes and references need to stand the test of time. The current funny troll personas will probably all be banned six months from now and replaced with other idiots. We should be subtle and think long term, so that five years down the road, "yeah, that's the neogaf inn" still applies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Keep in mind, in-jokes and references need to stand the test of time. The current funny troll personas will probably all be banned six months from now and replaced with other idiots. We should be subtle and think long term, so that five years down the road, "yeah, that's the neogaf inn" still applies.

Yeah, but I guess Obsidian will have their final say with that anyway. At least I hope so for the sake of consistency in all those "NAME SOMETHING" submissions.

I wouldnt be surprised if we could/should submit more than one set of names and they pick the ones that fit the best or take something out of our suggestion and make it more "RPG'ey".

Edit: Oh man, I REALLY hope they take some creative freedom with these suggestions they get.

Although the true origins of the elixir commonly known as the Essence of Amirox are unknown, its name is derived from an Imperial courtier who famously falsified official records retroactively so as to win a petty argument with another member of the court. When a scribe reavealed this fact publicly, Amirox was stripped of his position and executed. He is not known to have possessed any particular alchemical skills, and the elixir of his namesake is believed to have first appeared over a century after his death.

Toma

Although the true origins of the elixir commonly known as the Essence of Amirox are unknown, its name is derived from an Imperial courtier who famously falsified official records retroactively so as to win a petty argument with another member of the court. When a scribe reavealed this fact publicly, Amirox was stripped of his position and executed. He is not known to have possessed any particular alchemical skills, and the elixir of his namesake is believed to have first appeared over a century after his death.

Neat text :) Although we should hide stuff like that a bit. Calling it Elixir of Amir Ocks for example. And then just calling him "Amir" in the text would probably be more subtle ;p

Edit: EviLore is right though. It would probably best if we kept out "usernames" out of these and try to come up with stuff that universally applies to GAF. The believer is a perfect example of that, which also should work pretty well in any RPG world. Hard to think of many of those though.

Corto

"The Bishop" carries such an ominous weight just by itself. And it would be rather easy to include in this kind of fantasy setting without standing out as being "foreign". I still vote for bishop or some variation of it. ;)

I have an awesome ideas or two. In talks with the "higher ups", if that makes any sense. What I want is the best for Obsidian and the community. Will update the moment I have something solid! :D

JESUS CHRIST! Just realized that I've been talking to the CEO of Obsidian...

*brain freeze*

Damn! Now i want to know what's in store for us... hehehehe

An update of what's being discussed as I don't want to keep you all in the dark as it's as much of an involvement of you guys than it's mine.

A lot of you voiced out that you rather have digital products rather than physical, especially when you account for shipping costs, the chances of "winning" them and what not. I've been trying to see what's a feasible choice where everyone's participation counts.

I cannot promise anything but I've suggest to Feargus Urquhart that we deal with this outside Kickstarter (especially since they are looking into Paypal funding, and we getting out funding via Paypal will make the transaction smooth).

Long story short: That reservation "might" be cancelled and this should be becoming an entity of it's own. The "Name and Design" pledge will still stay, but outside Kickstarter, and that everyone who pledges gets something in return.

I will update you all on what's decided and whether they agree or disagree. In fact, let me know what you guys suggest and approve of! :)

Corto

An update of what's being discussed as I don't want to keep you all in the dark as it's as much of an involvement of you guys than it's mine.

A lot of you voiced out that you rather have digital products rather than physical, especially when you account for shipping costs, the chances of "winning" them and what not. I've been trying to see what's a feasible choice where everyone's participation counts.

I cannot promise anything but I've suggest to Feargus Urquhart that we deal with this outside Kickstarter (especially since they are looking into Paypal funding, and we getting out funding via Paypal will make the transaction smooth).

Long story short: That reservation "might" be cancelled and this should be becoming an entity of it's own. The "Name and Design" pledge will still stay, but outside Kickstarter, and that everyone who pledges gets something in return.

I will update you all on what's decided and whether they agree or disagree. In fact, let me know what you guys suggest and approve of! :)

I suggest Shagg for the Innkeeper.

Toma

Sounds great! And I am pretty sure the whole matter is in good hands with you :)
Although, that means that we'll still have the INN naming stuff AND open the kickstarter spot again, right? So its now 4 inns made by random people in this game. I really start to wonder how they want to keep all of that still in the overall style of the game. Hopefully, this doesnt become a big "patchwork" game.

Mikeside

Well I've pledged to this in addition to pledging for a copy of the game so anything extra would be a bonus but it would make a lot more sense to arrange digital goods instead of physical because it'll be expensive to split all the physical goodies and ship them all over to different gaffers.

Ideal situation IMO would be if we could drop all the individual goodies and just get a more fleshed out Inn with a vaguely GAF influenced sidequest or something involved.

Sounds great! And I am pretty sure the whole matter is in good hands with you :)
Although, that means that we'll still have the INN naming stuff AND open the kickstarter spot again, right? So its now 4 inns made by random people in this game. I really start to wonder how they want to keep all of that still in the overall style of the game. Hopefully, this doesnt become a big "patchwork" game.

Yeah, hopefully. They did decide in their Kickstarter page that there will be new $5,000 Paypal/Kickstarter pledges so this might come into play. No matter, I'm sure nothing is set on stones and they haven't created the physical or digital products, so they can still move a thing or two.

Ideal situation IMO would be if we could drop all the individual goodies and just get a more fleshed out Inn with a vaguely GAF influenced sidequest or something involved.

Yeah, that sounds great as well! I've given them a fair idea of what would be nice, but I've also let them toss a few ideas because, in the end, it needs to be a fairly balanced between them getting the money without giving too much away, and us getting the pleasure of participation without getting too carried on.

Edit: EviLore is right though. It would probably best if we kept out "usernames" out of these and try to come up with stuff that universally applies to GAF. The believer is a perfect example of that, which also should work pretty well in any RPG world. Hard to think of many of those though.

I don't think "Essence of Amirox" sounds at all out of place for a fantasy setting - I doubt anybody would suspect that it came from GAF, or even that it was one of the Kickstarter items at all. In the flavor text I tried to make it sound somewhat justified by relating it to a story that, again, doesn't sound impossibly out of place (but is, in turn, a retelling of the great man himself). The reference to GAF is there if you run a google search on Amirox, and it's also a dig at everybody's favorite ex-mod, which is why I liked the idea in the first place. The Believer is definitely more representative of GAF as a whole, but I also think it's not as clever as say, The Bishop, and I think these are the sort of GAF members who have been around long enough and are well known enough to warrant a clever reference.

*Shrug*

Have to wait and see what everybody else thinks, I guess.

No usernames is a good way to go.

You could just call it Good ol' Ale Fest, or something similar which would make up a G.A.F acronym.
Or just call it "The Gaffer's Tavern" - doesn't sound that out of place in a fantasy setting.

Mista Koo

"Gaffery" and "The Bishop's Hammer" seem solid.

The tavern could be a backronym, "Ginger Ale Factory" :p

Toma

P.S. Just realized: We broke the $1,000 mark!!

Nice! :)

Although I totally read this as "We broke the 1000 (Deutschmark/German Mark)", which was our currency over a decade ago, lol.

Azih

I'll throw in 5 bucks what the hey.

I'm concerned about in jokes cluttering things with all of these rewards though. Then again if any company has the writing skill to take bad ideas from donors and turn them into in game content that isn't out of place it's Obsidian.

How about something like

The Glorious Orb
The Orange and Grey.

Toma

I'll throw in 5 bucks what the hey.

I'm concerned about in jokes cluttering things with all of these rewards though. Then again if any company has the writing skill to take bad ideas from donors and turn them into in game content that isn't out of place it's Obsidian.

How about something like

The Glorious Orb
The Orange and Grey.

I like the idea of orange and grey being dominant colors within the inn, or being the colors of the inn banner that will be on the walls, etcetc.

Acidote

I'll watch closely the development of this... endeavor, and decide if I participate or not.

Well I've pledged to this in addition to pledging for a copy of the game so anything extra would be a bonus but it would make a lot more sense to arrange digital goods instead of physical because it'll be expensive to split all the physical goodies and ship them all over to different gaffers.

This is me too. I pledged for both. If it includes a copy of the game or something I'd gift it to a friend if I could. That wouldn't bother me.

Khar

I agree.

No trolls or usernames as neither of these stand the test of time. No Bishop, no Amirox.

I think I said a couple of pages ago something like The Believer's Slumber.

This is exactly why -- in ten years time it would be wonderful if it was still relevant.

I agree.

No trolls or usernames as neither of these stand the test of time. No Bishop, no Amirox.

This is exactly why -- in ten years time it would be wonderful if it was still relevant.

+1 for this. We'll vote as the OP states but I think we should avoid including stuff like the bold. And I really do like that underlined one as well.

Mikeside

I agree.

If we called the inn The Believer's Slumber then it would absolutely make sense (and be extremely awesome) for the owner to be called The Bishop.

No?

Top Bottom