• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Way too fast for VR. I mean it could work but it wouldn't be a good experience.

Some guy did an amazing job adding Oculus Rift support to Quake 2... but after playing it for 10 minutes you feel like shit.

That's because your body movement is not in synch with the movement in the VR world.
One to one head tracking with very low input lag will resolve the issue. Fast pace FPS are totally doable in VR.

Soi-Fong

Well Crystal Cove was running at ~75fps, we don't know what refresh rate Morpheus is sporting yet.

I'm arguing that a "great" VR experience necessary to convert a non-believer does not require those insane requirements he put out. CC is a good example of that.

There's nothing wrong with Sony releasing an experience that matches CC.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't see this being any less of a gimmick than something like Kinect.

But as long as they don't shoehorn it in with the console then I don't mind one way or another, I guess.

You'll still have the controller in your hands with the same level of gameplay you've always had. Although there are gameplay implications to VR, it's more of a visual enhancement. Not that gimmicky at all, imo.

Mr.Green

Sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but we don't have any more information about a possible release date than "as soon as possible"? No hints at further information on this at E3? No hints about whether it will come in 2014 or not?

Still at the prototyping stage. Don't hold your breath for 2014. I hope I'm wrong, though.

stryke

Why not? It's not something that needs to sell at a console-like adoption rate. It'll be a slower burn regardless of what price it launches at, just because of how big of a change from the traditional it will represent - people will need to adjust. That's gotta be a factor in Sony's sales projections.

Frankly, I don't see this selling for much less than $400 initially.

As much as the console?

Nzyme32

LCD instead of Oled.
90deg FOV instead of 110.

These things worry me. They worry me a lot.

This is a problem because there is no low persistence. I was thinking they would add it in with a oled panel later but, you get strobing at 60hz with low persistence that is quite strong, and I don't think HDMI can carry much more than 60hz... Could be wrong

I wonder if they can get away with a slightly higher price point. In the past, "gimmick" add ons like the Kinect, Move and even the Wii Motes had to have that cheap price point to attract the casual gamer, but this seems like something that will be more targeted at the hard core market. I'm not sure the casuals will ever 100% accept either this or the Oculus Rift.

RSP

Yup they sure will. Such a nice question...

I meant in reference to this thing:

sony-playstation-3d-display-tv-review-display-glasses.jpg

I mean I don't really buy the "it was just designed for it". The obviously saw how much attention the Rift was getting and wanted to get there first. No problem, just not very convinced about how determined Sony is to give this a real chance.

Sorry, haven't read the entire thread, but we don't have any more information about a possible release date than "as soon as possible"? No hints at further information on this at E3? No hints about whether it will come in 2014 or not?
Not that I've heard.

StuBurns

Banned
With the way the presentation went, it seems like a 2015 release because they are just now recruiting devs. They have a product in mind and it looks to have some serious potential but now they need more than their own studios to develop for it. If there is one downfall to this, it's that since it's on a closed platform, we won't get solutions like the Rift has to inject support into almost any 3D game.
Some third parties have had it for a while, and it's already integrated into engines, and it takes weeks to implement Rift support, so probably similar for Morpheus.

There was really nothing to suggest it was this year or next year to me.

Mr.Green

That's because your body movement is not in synch with the movement in the VR world.
One to one head tracking with very low input lag will resolve the issue. Fast pace FPS are totally doable in VR.

No, it won't resolve every issue. If you were to walk around and strafe at 60 miles an hour in real life chances are you'd get sick as well.

MaulerX

If this needs the camera then I honestly don't see this being more than a niche product. If Sony were really serious about this then they should have included camera with the PS4.

BWJinxing

Interesting. Hopefully Sony delivers.

It would be amusing if MS pulled all the stops out on their supposed VR unit with some insane specs that out performed Sony's.

Though im still pumped for you Oculus!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Still at the prototyping stage. Don't hold your breath for 2014. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Yeah, definitely doesn't look like 2014. Too many essential hardware design decisions are still open.

orochi91

Seriously, are the trolls out in force tonight? There's a huge difference in developing for a closed platform.

How else would Naughty Dog have developed UC3 and TLoU on 256 mb of ram.

I know right? But I can see where the skepticism is coming from given the infancy of the tech. Previews will be up tomorrow for the press, so it should highlight where Sony currently is in the development of their headset. It's a pity the Oculus Rift team wrote off consoles; I hope Sony hits out of the park.

Nzyme32

Well Crystal Cove was running at ~75fps, we don't know what refresh rate Morpheus is sporting yet.
Is there a source on 75fps for crystal cove? I'm almost certain there is no data on this as they refused to clarify framerate, panel info and resolution for crystal cove

Dante316

My guess this is for 2016. But im hoping for gaming announcement or something this week. Is there anything good, sony has tomorrow?

Tagg9

Thief seems like a weird thing to demo. By the time this headset is released, the game will have been long forgotten.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No, it won't resolve every issue. If you were to walk around and strafe at 60 miles an hour in real life chances are you'd get sick as well.

No I wouldn't. Humans can do tons of stuff and relatively high speed without motion sickness. Skiing, diving etc... Not a problem.

syko de4d

Is there a source on 75fps for crystal cove? I'm almost certain there is no data on this as they refused to clarify framerate, panel info and resolution for crystal cove

in one video from the CES you could saw the FPS of the game (EVE Valkyrie) it was 78-80fps.

Reallink

Cool. So all those people saying Crystal Cove was a great VR experience were lying then? I mean the specs for Crystal Cove were roughly what Sony revealed for Morpheus. 1080p, etc

The "secret sauce" of crystal cove AND Valve VR were reputedly the >60Hz refresh rates and low persistence displays. Nothing else matters if most people can't use the device for more than 10 minutes without being overcome by a profound deep rooted feeling of sickness or discomfort. Sony isn't talking about those specs, which is concerning.

Sepp

Banned
Crystal cove is 1080p . Are you saying you have experienced a better experienced than Crystal cove ? Really ?

Valve's VR prototype, apparently "mindblowing" and far better than Crystal cove.

Its not like traditional gaming, where even new console hardware after 8 years doesn't seem to wow anyone.

thuway

I'm not going to get into arguments with people who can't accept certain realities.

A. The hardware is a first attempt. After many iterations and a product launched there will still be room for improvement and PlayStation 5 will reap those benefits.

B. There is a reason it's 90 degrees FOV, anything more, and guess what? You run the risk of people screaming SDE. It sounds like a decision based around the best possible results.

C. The foolish inclination to ask for anything beyond 1080p is hilarious. Do you want this device to cost more than the PS4?

Tagyhag

I like the way it looks but needing the PS Camera AND Move? No thanks.

Still need to see how games would run on it too. Oh well, too early to tell.

darkwing

Interesting. Hopefully Sony delivers.

It would be amusing if MS pulled all the stops out on their supposed VR unit with some insane specs that out performed Sony's.

Though im still pumped for you Oculus!

MS has a huge warchest, it is certainly possible, heck they can easily buy Sony and Nintendo

vivftp

A holiday 2014 release would be crazy, but more than likely unattainable.

I'll cross post my own thoughts from the other thread:

me said:
On the subject of it being a long way off since they're in the prototype stage, I think it's worth mentioning the first HMZ headset they had went from prototype reveal to a retail product all in the same year.

Of course this is an even more complex device, but it also seems that Sony are putting more of their muscle behind this than they did the HMZ units. Just wanted to note that there is precident for Sony to go from prototype to finished product all in the same year, and that was a sorta/kinda similar product too.

True we don't know how long it takes to implement this tech into a game, but as others have noted it doesn't seem to take too long to make things work with Occulus. If the impressions we get tomorrow indicate an already polished experience, then I don't see much reason why we couldn't see this product later this year. Several months to take a (possibly) polished product and improve upon it based on the metric ton of feedback they'll be getting now? With Sonys full weight behind it? I see that being in the realm of possibility.

epmode

Sony had this in development back in 2011. Oculus was 2012/13.

Eh, that's just when it went public. Palmer Luckey has been tooling around VR prototypes for years. This presentation simply would not have happened if it wasn't for Oculus.

Not that I mind. The more companies putting out quality VR, the better. This technology is incredible.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
As much as the console?
Fair point, by the time this releases the PS4 will probably have dropped a small amount in price, so not more than the console itself costs. But not much less. Whatever the PS4 costs at the time this actually releases, maybe $50 less. If it's a quality build and they don't cut too many corners. It probably has to sell as a kit with the camera.

Top Bottom