• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

This is definitely a 2015 release at the earliest. They were very earnest in saying they were showing it at GDC to get developer feedback and generate developer interest in the VR platform.

Ntsouls

Banned
Issue is whether they will make it compatible with all games. IE fps games your head takes over for the camera stick.

I meant in reference to this thing:

sony-playstation-3d-display-tv-review-display-glasses.jpg

I mean I don't really buy the "it was just designed for it". The obviously saw how much attention the Rift was getting and wanted to get there first. No problem, just not very convinced about how determined Sony is to give this a real chance.

that combined with move and ps eye are actually this vr headset, no?

multiple image display? 3d dof? head tracking? gyroscope?

iceatcs

I'm not going to get into arguments with people who can't accept certain realities.

A. The hardware is a first attempt. After many iterations and a product launched there will still be room for improvement and PlayStation 5 will reap those benefits.

B. There is a reason it's 90 degrees FOV, anything more, and guess what? You run the risk of people screaming SDE. It sounds like a decision based around the best possible results.

C. The foolish inclination to ask for anything beyond 1080p is hilarious. Do you want this device to cost more than the PS4?

Likely because you may don't want to zoom out too much in the game that might need to redesign the concept.
Also less picture stretching mean better PPI per eye.

2015 sounds like a good release date. This year would be too soon even if the tech were further along than they let on. Right now they are trying to sell $400 consoles for a brand new system. Wait a couple years before asking people to reasonably dump another $200 or so on an add on.

YuShtink

Valve's VR prototype, apparently "mindblowing" and far better than Crystal cove.

Its not like traditional gaming, where even new console hardware after 8 years doesn't seem to wow anyone.

No no no, that quote was comparing Valve's VR prototype to the original Dev Kit, NOT crystal cove. Vortex and Crystal Cove are supposedly very comparable, the main difference being that Vortex lets you walk around a whole room.

Even though they said it is still a prototype, I feel like it has a good chance of being released this year. Whenever this thing launches you gotta figure its gonna launch in the fall, or as sony calls it "holiday". I dont think sony would reveal something like 20 odd months away from release. Hell, the ps4 was announce in February and was for sale 9 months later.

Mr.Green

No I wouldn't. Humans can do tons of stuff and relatively high speed without motion sickness. Skiing, diving etc... Not a problem.

High speed isn't everything though. It's the constant turning around, strafing, sudden stops, etc. And in real life, you're actually physically moving. Your inner ear doesn't get any signal in VR.

Anyway, I'm sure some people would adapt to it of course. But it would be too much for most people.

This has been repeated by Oculus for nearly two years by the way. I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Nzyme32

Just because MS as a whole has the money, doesn't mean the Xbox division is going to drop that kind of cash on something like this.
I wouldn't rule Microsoft out so easily. If they are shooting for AR, that shouldn't be underestimated. Of they do it right AR can be extremely compelling, and moving it to mobile and out door environments is a massive step that is easier with AR

StuBurns

Banned
I wouldn't rule Microsoft out so easily. If they are shooting for AR, that shouldn't be underestimated. Of they do it right AR can be extremely compelling, and moving it to mobile and out door environments is a massive step that is easier with AR
Yeah, AR is actually a much bigger deal long term, but it's not going to be a VR rival for gaming this generation.

Honestly, after seeing the the Surface, Zune, and Kinect, they're going to have to do a lot to before I don't rule out their ventures into emerging technologies.

Nzyme32

No no no, that quote was comparing Valve's VR prototype to the original Dev Kit, NOT crystal cove. Vortex and Crystal Cove are supposedly very comparable, the main difference being that Vortex lets you walk around a whole room.

Isn't vortex valve AR contact lens and unrelated to their VR prototype?

Vesper73

Ask anyone on the forefront of AR. It is a MUCH harder problem to solve than VR, and we don't even have that quite yet (consumer product).

Even if AR was available, I'd still get on the VR bandwagon first, as I'd rather sit in my chair and be transported into a virtual world than walk around my house and see butterflies everywhere, (although that would be quite cool indeed :).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Valve's VR prototype, apparently "mindblowing" and far better than Crystal cove.

Its not like traditional gaming, where even new console hardware after 8 years doesn't seem to wow anyone.

Lol, there's no way you've seen Valve's VR but not Crystal Cove.

YuShtink

Even though they said it is still a prototype, I feel like it has a good chance of being released this year. Whenever this thing launches you gotta figure its gonna launch in the fall, or as sony calls it "holiday". I dont think sony would reveal something like 20 odd months away from release. Hell, the ps4 was announce in February and was for sale 9 months later.

Sorry to be a party pooper guys but I think it's looking more and more like the Rift and Morpheus are both 2015 releases. Not even because the hardware won't be ready, the software just isn't there yet. Developers are going to need time to test and figure out what works best. There has been absolutely no dedicated VR software (even EVE Valkyrie) that looks like it would be ready for release by end of year. I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, AR is actually a much bigger deal long term, but it's not going to be a VR rival for gaming this generation.

Yes, I see potential in AR, but it's a harder concept and one that I think doesn't have the staying power just yet with video games. Conceptually it's cool though.

Kinyou

High speed isn't everything though. It's the constant turning around, strafing, sudden stops, etc. And in real life, you're actually physically moving. Your inner ear doesn't get any signal in VR.

Physically moving? We can do that!!

virtualreality67kll.gif

sorta...

Linkup

Yes, TV is a medium, and gaming is a medium too, can you play any game on your PS4? No.

The Morpheus is Sony's VR unit, designed for the PS4.

Sorry I have been saying it wrong. I can certainly play any PS4 game on any TV meeting the standard. I don't know why I was comparing a HMD to a computer when one is a viewer and another is used to send the content.

TV is a device we use to primary experience video and any TV will play any video content meeting the standards.

HMD is a device we use to primary experience VR content, but not every HMD will let you experience any VR content because right now there is no standard. Maybe it's because all of this is new, but at some point you don't want people downloading VR content that only works on certain devices though they all fall under the category of VR. Guess it's going to be a format war if one company decides 90 fps and 1080p is standard while another says only 80 degree field of view is standard and fps/res is up to you.

Nzyme32

Honestly, after seeing the the Surface, Zune, and Kinect, they're going to have to do a lot to before I don't rule out their ventures into emerging technologies.
Yeah totally agree. I don't have anywhere near as much faith in them as I do with Sony oculus and valve. Microsoft have had a lot of missteps and business oriented disccisions that really make me sceptical. But AR like VR is something that is abysmal if you implement it wrong

Sepp

Banned

I read otherwise, I think Valve's version had 2 HD screens.

Specs look like they're within the minimums of what Valve and Oculus have said were necessary for good VR, which is good news. Considering the power requirements and how Move turned out I was worried they'd push out some low-FOV 720p 30fps nonsense.

Lets see what Oculus presents later in the week and hands-on impressions from tomorrow.

LX_Theo

Banned

AR without VR becomes many, many times less compelling.

Sorry to be a party pooper guys but I think it's looking more and more like the Rift and Morpheus are both 2015 releases. Not even because the hardware won't be ready, the software just isn't there yet. Developers are going to need time to test and figure out what works best. There has been absolutely no dedicated VR software (even EVE Valkyrie) that looks like it would be ready for release by end of year. I just don't see it happening.

You're probably right, i'm just saying I don't think it's impossible for a release this year. e3 should be very interesting.

Nzyme32

AR without VR becomes many, many times less compelling.
Valve made an AR contact lens set called vortex. Apparently its extremely compelling as it completely conforms to reality. Its a different experience though. Building virtual worlds is something that has more possibilities

StuBurns

Banned
Sorry I have been saying it wrong. I can certainly play any PS4 game on any TV meeting the standard. I don't know why I was comparing a HMD to a computer when one is a viewer and another is used to send the content.

TV is a device we use to primary experience video and any TV will play any video content meeting the standards.

HMD is a device we use to primary experience VR content, but not every HMD will let you experience any VR content because right now there is no standard. Maybe it's because all of this is new, but at some point you don't want people downloading VR content that only works on certain devices though they all fall under the category of VR. Guess it's going to be a format war if one company decides 90 fps and 1080p is standard while another says only 80 degree field of view is standard and fps/res is up to you.
Yeah, it's a spec thing. You can't set a standard until the technology has settled a little. For example, let's say PS4 can handle 1080p VR right, but the XBO can only do 900p efficiently they need a different unit, and on PC where you can handle 1440p, you don't want to be limited by Sony or MS.

I think standardisation is inevitable, but it's a long way off.

Rikkun

Retweeted by Shuhei Yoshida
Andrew Reiner ‏@Andrew_Reiner 1h
Microsoft's VR headset is codenamed Project Some Other Person From The Matrix.

Sorry if old
KuGsj.gif

This been posted yet?

Sony has announced its VR headset, called Project Morpheus, at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, but one of the larger surprises in the evening was the fact that the CCP-developed, and Oculus co-published title EVE Valkyrie would be playable on the hardware.
It's rare to see a game published by one platform holder be used in the marketing of another, but it seems as if Oculus' publishing deal was only for the PC.
"We partnered with Oculus VR to bring EVE: Valkyrie exclusively to the Oculus Rift on PC and we are thrilled to be working with Sony to bring EVE: Valkyrie to the PS4 with Project Morpheus," a CCP spokesperson told Polygon. We reached out to Oculus for comment, and have yet to hear back.
EVE: Valkyrie is a multiplayer action game that exists in the universe of EVE Online. It was designed specifically for virtual reality, and has often been shown on different versions of the Oculus Rift hardware. Sony's confirmation of Project Morpheus follows months of rumors, and the company announced that the hardware will be playable at GDC

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/18/5524432/eve-valkyrie-project-morpheus-sony-oculus-publishing

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, it's a spec thing. You can't set a standard until the technology has settled a little. For example, let's say PS4 can handle 1080p VR right, but the XBO can only do 900p efficiently they need a different unit, and on PC where you can handle 1440p, you don't want to be limited by Sony or MS.

I think standardisation is inevitable, but it's a long way off.

You don't need a new standard for every resolution bump. The game just needs to know things like what kind of distortion the target headset needs.

Sepp

Banned
Guess it's going to be a format war if one company decides 90 fps and 1080p is standard while another says only 80 degree field of view is standard and fps/res is up to you.

The framerate could become a standard, but the 1080p resolution (half of it per eye) will never be. The angular resolution for a 110° FOV is very low, and 4k smartphones screens are a year away.

Nzyme32

There were rumors last year that Vortex was a contact lense thing but I swear I heard people from Dev Days referring to the VR prototype as Vortex.
Maybe they renamed it. They have given up on AR for now. I think much of what you need to solve AR comes from doing VR. There are pictures and impressions of vortex somewhere. Its like an orange coil in a contact lens. If I recall correctly, a monster appeared behind a person that was in the room with him. It was quite scary :p

LX_Theo

Banned
Oh, and this was brought up by someone elsewhere, but I think its the most awesome things ever...

Shadow of the Colossus VR.

StuBurns

Banned
You don't need a new standard for every resolution bump. The game just needs to know things like what kind of distortion the target headset needs.
You really want per-pixel mapping in VR, scaling artifacts an inch from your eye would be a horror even SOMA on Rift won't provide.

LX_Theo

Banned
Valve made an AR contact lens set called vortex. Apparently its extremely compelling as it completely conforms to reality. Its a different experience though. Building virtual worlds is something that has more possibilities

I can only imagine the resolution needed for an image on a contact lens. I'm going to go ahead and be skeptical of the existence of this, since the technology doesn't seem like it'd be in place to do something like that. Feel free to cite otherwise (though I'm headed off to dreamland, so it won't be for my sake).

Nzyme32

Oh, and this was brought up by someone elsewhere, but I think its the most awesome things ever...

Shadow of the Colossus VR.
That's a perfect game for vr with the exception of being flung around trying to hold on... that sort of thing in VR would be nauseating. The valve vr demo had a giant robot from portal 2. People apparenly found it so compelling they got their phones out to try and take a picture! That could definitely happen with collossus

TAJ

You really want per-pixel mapping in VR, scaling artifacts an inch from your eye would be a horror even SOMA on Rift won't provide.

Scaling can be a very good thing if you're doing it in the right direction.
Besides, I never said anything about it. You seemed to be suggesting something akin to needing a different version of Direct X for every resolution that people want to run games at.

Nzyme32

Top Bottom