• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

Alx

Can't wait to hear impressions tomorrow. Put all this speculating aside, and truly see what Sony can deliver.

I'm very happy with what they showed. My only concern is the 90 degree field of view. Can't we go beyond this? What's limiting from going to 110 or 120? I was reading about how the navy has a modified Oculus Rift that goes to 140 degrees FOV. I'm just hoping we can squeeze out as much FOV as possible, as it can make a huge difference.

The limitation is resolution : the wider the fov, the more "spread out" the pixels are. And since the screen resolution is already the weak point of VR headsets, you have to hit a compromise.

darkwing

I hope they'll support that Morpheus thing longer than they did with the PS Move. It would be nice if they could patch "future old games" like Killzone SF and Infamous SS when this VR headset will be released.

I'm glad that Unity is in that picture, I hope we'll see lots of indie games taking advantage of this baby, The Witness would be a good match, not sure if it's using Unity though, but a Myst-like game in VR would be amazing.

there is no way KZ:SF/SS in full graphical glory will be in VR, The Witness has a bigger chance

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It looks neat but I can't help but think it will be another feature that will fizzle out like motion control and 3D support. Plus I can see my wife laughing her head off when I put the thing on my head.
You can abandon her for a VR wife.

Akira

Oh man, I can't wait for the epic The Last Guardian re-reveal as a VR title. It would be the best "And one last thing..." :p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It'd be cool if the rumored "Demon's Souls 2" we've been hearing about was actually a King's Field style first person RPG using this tech. Making it first person like the From's old King's Field games would be a nice way to differentiate it from Dark Souls.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Mark Rein ‏@MarkRein 21m

. @amboyes We're excited to be supporting Project Morpheus! Congrats on the announcement tonight!

awesome.

Thoraxes

Bungie pls put this functionality into Destiny for a future patch.

Would love 5eva.

Don't know if i'd buy a thing like this for a closed platform though, unless they really open the floodgates to customization.

phants

The limitation is resolution : the wider the fov, the more "spread out" the pixels are. And since the screen resolution is already the weak point of VR headsets, you have to hit a compromise.

Eh, I think people get hung up on this unnecessarily. Yes, PPI will make a difference, but it's not "Retina or bust." I played Dactyl Nightmare when I was younger and, while obviously crude as hell, it was still an incredible experience and very immersive. For reference, the displays in this bad boy (it used a pair of LCD screens in the headset) were 276x372 resolution. By the time PS5 rolls around (which we'll need to pump out the graphics necessary for some truly crazy shit) ultra-high PPI displays will be cheap and plentiful.

GhaleonEB

I'm VR-curious at this point. I don't reject it wholesale as I did motion controls. Given that it's primary benefit is immersion, I'm interested mostly for its application in single-player games. Something like Skyrim, or the next ES, with good VR support would have great potential, I think.

Wolff

I always wanted this VR stuff to work the right way. I hope this is it. I'd be very interested in buying this to play on the PS4.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Looks awful. I'm not interested. Won't be more than a fad like move and 3d

I would love to have a go at say a friends house. Apart from that. Nope

Vibranium

Banned
I'm pretty damn interested, I'll wait for the price though and it is a prototype after all. Lots of time for stuff to change and improve.

Alx

Eh, I think people get hung up on this unnecessarily. Yes, PPI will make a difference, but it's not "Retina or bust." I played Dactyl Nightmare when I was younger and, while obviously crude as hell, it was still an incredible experience and very immersive. For reference, the displays in this bad boy (it used a pair of LCD screens in the headset) were 276x372 resolution. By the time PS5 rolls around (which we'll need to pump out the graphics necessary for some truly crazy shit) ultra-high PPI displays will be cheap and plentiful.

Well I actually agree, but it seems everybody is obsessive with resolution right now. If it were not the case, a first version of the Oculus Rift would have hit the market already, with the specs of the first development kit that all users deemed impressive already.
I said it before, but OR took a great risk by taking their time polishing their product. By the time it's out, the competition will already be there.

You have to hand it Sony, they're willing to take risks. I guess compared to stupid things like Rolly, Morpheus is as big of a risk, but still. There are so many hurdles for them to make this thing work properly. Even if they get it right, there are so many people they're going to have to convince just to give it a chance. This thread shows just how many people are basically saying they're not interested in it already, when there are no impressions and really no concrete details yet.

I'm skeptical that Morpheus won't give me major eyestrain and nausea, but I still want to give it a try.

Cess007

I'm VR-curious at this point. I don't reject it wholesale as I did motion controls. Given that it's primary benefit is immersion, I'm interested mostly for its application in single-player games. Something like Skyrim, or the next ES, with good VR support would have great potential, I think.

If the next Elder Scrolls support this; my family will never see me again!

Show me final specifications with low persistence 120+ Hz screen and 120 fps games until then it lands in useless gimmick category somewhere beetween Kinect and Wii U gamepad

Sendou

So do we have even one game on PS4 where VR would be feasible and that supports 1080p at stable 60FPS? I thought that was kind of a requirement if you want to have an immersive experience. Or is it something they will be looking into with more passion from now on?

So do we have even one game on PS4 where VR would be feasible and that supports 1080p at stable 60FPS? I thought that was kind of a requirement if you want to have an immersive experience. Or is it something they will be looking into with more passion from now on?

NBA, MGSV and indies

Artanisix

As someone who owns an Oculus Rift [version 1], I am super stoked for this. This can be nothing but good for those who are into VR.

Sendou

NBA, MGSV and indies

Maybe those could work. Still when I first think of games I'd like to play in VR those don't spring up in mind. Something like Killzone could have been cool but maybe not in the framerate it manages. Some 1st person game is what I want to see. DriveClub could be cool.

Yes, waking up to good news!

I don't even care if they have to sacrifice visuals on consoles to get it running... since, consoles, so what!

A vr mode for every game please no matter the genre, i'm game!

KZObsessed

Im amazed they've had a protype since 2010. Looks really cool. Playing an open world RPG or a Demon's Souls sequel in VR... yes yes yes. Very excited.

Seems to be a quality protype as well:

Geoff Keighley said:
Developers who have used Project Morpheus tell me the fidelity of the image and experience is superior to Oculus Rift.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley

Nice.

Gangxxter

They're only cooperating with other VR technology "in spirit." No "standardized APIs."
I really hope this will lead to an open VR standard one day so developers can easily port PC games for the OR to the PS4 with Morpheus (and vice versa).

Exciting times!

This may come off as negative, but I promise you it's not. Sony has done an amazing job selling their message of the PS4 being the most powerful console at a reasonable price and being all about the games. Introducing a VR attachment at this time before they have yet to make good on all of their promises since the PS4 reveal seems like they are pushing their luck.
We still haven't seen their AAA exclusive lineup for the coming year and they still have a lot if work to do on their UI.
I would rather they take their time and effort and focus on the games and getting the system to be equal to the vision they had when they revealed it. All this is going to do is segment their market and make this system too expensive for the average consumer.
I realize it wont be out for a while and they certainly can pull this off, but again I would rather see them acquire some fantastic new IP's these next couple of years and make this the greatest console of all time, than push something that only a small percentage of consumers would be able to purchase and enjoy.
You know MS is backed into a corner and they have the capital to spend whatever necessary to ensure AAA games are secured and I dont want to see Sony lose their focus on what's really important.....The Games!

Maybe those could work. Still when I first think of games I'd like to play in VR those don't spring up in mind. Something like Killzone could have been cool but maybe not in the framerate it manages. Some 1st person game is what I want to see. DriveClub could be cool.

Killzone's framerate would probably break your eyes in multi with VR. It's horrendous.

SegaShack

In all seriousness, am I the only one who thinks these VR headsets have little to no mass market appeal and will just end up in shopping malls?
This is how I feel as well. Playstation Move had much more appeal than this and didn't take off. I really can't see the general public being into wearing this or the Occulus Rift on their face. I think both will flop.

Top Bottom