• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project P-100 (Nintendo/Platinum Games) announced for WiiU [Director: Hideki Kamiya]

jman2050

One of the most infuriating things to happen this gen is the pervasive attitude that games that don't look like they took $50 million to make should automatically be cheap downloadable titles.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I like his work and was really impressed by this. I will buy it.

SmithnCo

With the amount of shitty comments, it'd be nice to hear that you nor your game aren't "disappointing".

I'm surprised at some of the comments, especially that one guy that tweeted like 4 times about how the game looks horrible and should be downloadable. C'mon people.

Neiteio

this is what i also would like to know, the characters have a great style, they would make a good addition to smash bros.
Y2Xqr.jpg

And maybe it is just me, but whenever i see an isometric view game, i always imagine it being like the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games... i love isometric view games, regardless of genre

Edit: damn, hivemind, Olimar clone is what also came to my mind, but they have enough personality to be their own separate character, one with fists, one with a sword and another with a gun.
Now we know why Sakurai was visiting Platinum Games recently... ;)

Mlatador

Banned
Yes, show the man your love! Fresh gameplay ideas (and at the same time awesome looking ones) need to be supported!

This game looks like so much fun, I wish I could play it RIGHT NOW!

Eusis

I'm surprised at some of the comments, especially that one guy that tweeted like 4 times about how the game looks horrible and should be downloadable. C'mon people.
We need to know more before we can really see if it's the kind of thing that should be downloadable only, IE pricing, length, variety. A good benchmark is probably Pikmin, if it's basically on the same level as that then at worst it's a $50 retail game.

Also: I wonder if the game's a reliable 60 FPS? You wouldn't see that in a Youtube video, but if the raw number of characters doesn't force it to be 30 I can definitely see it happening.

Neiteio

I went from first seeing the trailer and thinking, "Meh, generic superheroics, not enough style, lol Jimmy Neutron meets DC Universe," to "HOLY SHIT this game looks AMAZING, it's Viewtiful Joe Justice Leauge transforming into swords and guns and Jell-O and running on collapsing highways and fighting on the arm of a giant fuggin' robot as he torches himself and jets bomb overhead and OH GOD WHAT IS GOING ON." Absolutely amazing, and so much fun!

I've already watched the Gamespot video several times over, at an E3 when I can't bring myself to watch the trailers for most games more than once (and I'm multiplat plus PC, saw all but the Microsoft and EA shows). Are there any other videos available of this game online? Any other walk-throughs aside from the Gamespot one? Any more showfloor footage?

Zia

If this and Pikmin 3 end up great, and make American launch, I might actually be upgrading this year.

Doorman

Okay this looks pretty fun. Weird that Nintendo are publishing two RTS lite games though.

This is not a RTS though. Not even RTS-lite. It's an action game.

I'm actually glad this was brought up, since it finally clicked in my head a few moments ago just how different this actually is from Pikmin 3. Really the fact that there are many characters on-screen at once is the only similarity. Pikmin incorporates elements of time management, strategy, picking up resources, splitting up squads to tackle multiple objectives at once, and so on. P-100, after watching some of the proper gameplay videos, really does take the look of a more straight-up action title, it just so happens that your player character is a singularly-controlled group. There's none of the party or objective management of Pikmin, and your interaction with enemies is far more direct.

Getting that point across in a couple of seconds-long trailer for each would be really difficult, I admit, but I wonder if that's really any easier or harder than seeing trailers for most modern shooters and walking away without saying "looks like CoD/Uncharted." I guess that's the power of a non-gritty artstyle at work.

Neiteio

I watched the official Nintendo trailer for P-100 again, this time with headphones, and holy shit, I take back the meh comment on the music, the music is AMAZING.

How did RE6 drop so low on my Most Wanted list and this crazy crack-addled Pikmin/DMC mashup rise so high? :)

Is this a launch title?
Edit: Oh shit!!!!

So, as it stands, we have

- New Super Mario Bros
- Rayman
- Pikmin
- P-100
- Zombi U (watch this)

...right from the jump? Yeah, nintendo's conference was pretty eh, but that is a damn fine quadro of games for a launch.

jman2050

The moment when the giant robot started destroying the street right under you is when I went from "this game looks pretty neat" to "This game looks AWESOME"

Hiltz

You have to give Nintendo brownie ports for choosing to publish a Platinum Games title. Of course, marketing it could be a concern given Nintendo's track record. Hopefully, we'll see this game released in the first half of next year.

Eusis

You have to give Nintendo brownie ports for choosing to publish a Platinum Games title.
I think it's almost funny how a developer associated with Sega went to Nintendo, but that seems at least partially out of the circumstances surrounding Sega currently, and anyways we've already seen that a decade and a half ago with Camelot, and even one of the main guys behind Sonic being nabbed for NST, so at this point I guess it's almost to be expected that Nintendo takes from Sega to a degree.

Neiteio

The moment when the giant robot started destroying the street right under you is when I went from "this game looks pretty neat" to "This game looks AWESOME"
It's the best kind of scripted moment: rich and dynamic and fully playable, the terrain morphing in real-time around you. And it ties into the moment-to-moment narrative. And there's like a nonstop deluge of such moments in the demo. The enemy design in this game is top-notch, too, and has Platinum written all over it. Giant, hard-hitting enemies you can juggle or launch around like lightweights! Looks incredibly fun to rush enemies and smack them around. I also like that "toy capsule" dispenser robot they find; I suspect it's like one of the tripods in War of the Worlds, and had captured those citizens for whatever purpose, but it's dead when you find it so you turn into a hand, crank the wheel and net yourself some new superhero sidekicks. :)

Emitan

I dunno, I'm not liking the art. I LOVED Viewtiful Joe's art so it has nothing to do with the super-deformity.

sounds like something someone who hasn't played nier would say

I just really want to see this in action on my TV (hopefully in 1080p but I doubt it)

Rpgmonkey

Game seems a little too hectic, but looking at Platinum's other work, it'll become more manageable with experience.

Probably the most fun-looking game I've seen the whole show.

Neiteio

I dunno, I'm not liking the art. I LOVED Viewtiful Joe's art so it has nothing to do with the super-deformity.
The art's grown on me by leaps and bounds. As someone in this thread who played it on the showfloor said, it has a super-solid look to it, like toys in a playset, probably because it's so crisp and clean and fluid. Like you can reach in and touch them (which makes me lament this game not being in stereo 3D). Watch closely in the Gamespot video and all of the citizens-turned-heroes are exhibiting funny lil' animations as they scurry about. Nice contrast to the hulking death-machines you're fighting.

So, looking at things closely... It seems there are three main superheroes: The red fist-fighter, the blue sword-wielder and the green gunner. It seems when you wield the hand, sword or gun transformations, you play as the respective hero and everyone else rolls into the hand/sword/gun (and their various permutations). I guess the (probably inconsequential) plot goes something to the effect that these three can magically make superheroes out of anyone, like Avenger versions of the Elite Beat Agents or something.

Thing I'm most curious about now: Multiplayer. The official trailer extensively shows four players, each controlling their own gang of heroes, running around beating up robots. You can clearly see the different colored P1, P2, P3 and P4 icons over their heads. How will that work with the system only supporting two screen controllers (and this game possibly supporting only one)? Do they map the touchscreen features to buttons on the pro controller for multiplayer?

I'm so glad Nintendo is publishing this. Hopefully they really take care of it and build up Platinum even more. Then we could get a damn Metroid: Oth....no, a Samus Aran: Redemption.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I thought Madworld was very good, Vanquish was great and Bayonetta was utterly fantastic. This should be another gem for Platinum Games. Watching the GS video, it seems loads of fun.

Top Bottom