• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project P-100 (Nintendo/Platinum Games) announced for WiiU [Director: Hideki Kamiya]

zroid

Banned
image.php

My face when I saw the Gamespot demo

Specifically, that was my face, beginning at around the 7:30 mark
when the ground starts collapsing

excited-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-629.gif

and that continued till the end.

Jaruru

watching the gameplay video, this reminds me of elebits

I hope this will run smoothly on Wii U... Elebits frame rate drops a lot during the later stages

People keep asking why they didn't show this in the Nintendo conference.

GT/Spike exclusive, people. It's not a bad thing.

Anyway, game looks totally rad and it's so nice to see something different. 60fps is so good too, the game just seems so brisk and dynamic.

Eusis

Anyway, game looks totally rad and it's so nice to see something different. 60fps is so good too, the game just seems so brisk and dynamic.
Oh, it's confirmed for 60 FPS? Youtube's capped at 30 so I had hoped it'd be that to balanced how low poly and undetailed much of the game looked, and that (combined with obscene numbers of characters) definitely shows why it's probably better that way.

Eusis

Plat did that up too. It's called Anarchy Reigns and Sega deemed it to be too good for foreigners.
You know, if Hatsune Miku comes out here instead of that it's going to be really absurd and surreal. Hopefully it's just lacking a specified date or they manage to release it digitally, at least on PS3.

sfried

Wow. This game just came out of left field...but why indeed did they just leave it as a teaser in a sizzle reel instead of demonstrating this? Afraid it might take away from Pikmin 3?

It feels more like as if Little King's Story and Bayonetta had a love child while at the same time having an affair with Viewtiful Joe.

IceCold

I didn't like the game initially but after seeing all of these gameplay videos I now think it's pretty awesome. The idea of it is also pretty original.

XxCGSxX

Holy shit I didn't know about that Gamespot video now I'm even more hyped about this! This sold me on the Wii U even more. CAN'T WAIT!

sfried

I find it ironic...that SPIKE TV/GameSpot, of all places, has convinced the masses to like this niche, Nintendo/Platinum Games title that wasn't even shown in the conference. What an interesting twist of karma!

Emitan

I find it ironic...that SPIKE TV/GameSpot, of all places, has convinced the masses to like this niche, Nintendo/Platinum Games title that wasn't even shown in the conference. What an interesting twist of karma!
I told everyone Nintendo would save video games but did you believe me? NOPE.

Olaeh

The skeptics should really check out the Gamespot gameplay video. It completely blew me away. Kamiya saved the Wii U in my eyes. My jaw hit the floor.

When I saw Reggie's 'big game' on Spike was from Platinum I was excited.

When I saw it was this game, via screen shots, I was meh.

When I saw video I was 'Fuck, now I'm getting four titles for this damn thing around launch'.

Def Jukie

Can't believe they wasted so much time during the conference and didn't show this. Kamiya track record is unbelievable and I suspect he will continue his streak with this game.

Olaeh

Can't believe they wasted so much time during the conference and didn't show this. Kamiya track record is unbelievable and I suspect he will continue his streak with this game.

With Kamiya's spotless track record and Nintendo publishing this themselves, they really could've had a warmer reception giving this a little show time. Imagine Reggie proudly announcing a Platinum Games Wii U exclusive directed by Kamiya, followed by a gameplay demo similar to the gamespot video only slightly shorter. This would replace the Warner Bros showings.
I know Platinum's offerings are never big sellers, but Kamiya's talent (& this artstyle) with Nintendo's push could surprise in sales.

This, with shortening the ghost mini-game demo and squeezing in a short Zombi U gameplay demo, and the conference might not have had such harsh overreactions and backlash.

Alx

Just came here to say that I really liked what I saw of the game, especially the animations that are hilarious, as is the tone of the game.
I wasn't really interested in WiiU, and am still not really convinced, but P-100 is one of the few games that raised my interest for this console. Platinum Games and especially Hideki Kamiya are the best contributors to this generation (and the new one), thank you guys !

Y'know what makes it even MORE disappointing that they didn't show this at the conference? These characters have crazy mascot potential. How does Nintendo see them and not immediately think "NEW FLAGSHIP FRANCHISE?" A little comedic trailer before gameplay like how Sony used Sackboy, and 2 or 3 of these characters would've been instant additions to Nintendo's roster, and clamored for in the next Smash Bros. For a company in desperate need of new characters, I feel like they really missed out here.

Seems like this game has experienced a positive turnaround of opinion almost immediately. Too bad Nintendo did such a bad job showcasing it during the conference. You gotta wonder why they leave good stuff on the cutting room floor when it was so clearly needed to flesh out a rather uninspired conference.

Kard8p3

Seems like this game has experienced a positive turnaround of opinion almost immediately. Too bad Nintendo did such a bad job showcasing it during the conference. You gotta wonder why they leave good stuff on the cutting room floor when it was so clearly needed to flesh out a rather uninspired conference.

It was a Spike TV exclusive.

Wait... this appeared in the conference?

And it might be surprising to some, but nintendo has their eyes on the internets. If this game drums up enough attention/buzz, I find it hard to believe it won't make appearances at future Wii U events.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have to admit that I partially changed my previous feeling about this game.
yesterday I was like: "it's an eshop line attack heroes title!"
today I recognize a viewtiful joe + pikmin vibe in it, with a strong japanese feeling.
I still don't understand why they partnership with Platinum for such a niche game and not for an action adventure...

peakish

Anteater

I have to admit that I partially changed my previous feeling about this game.
yesterday I was like: "it's an eshop line attack heroes title!"
today I recognize a viewtiful joe + pikmin vibe in it, with a strong japanese feeling.
I still don't understand why they partnership with Platinum for such a niche game and not for an action adventure...

This looks like an action adventure to me, it's just a mix of all things with a pretty zoomed out camera angle :p

but I'm not really too familiar with the genre

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I sincerely hope that Platinum makes some money from this title. Critical acclaim they have enough of, but some financial success would be nice as well.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
With Kamiya's spotless track record and Nintendo publishing this themselves, they really could've had a warmer reception giving this a little show time. Imagine Reggie proudly announcing a Platinum Games Wii U exclusive directed by Kamiya, followed by a gameplay demo similar to the gamespot video only slightly shorter. This would replace the Warner Bros showings.
I know Platinum's offerings are never big sellers, but Kamiya's talent (& this artstyle) with Nintendo's push could surprise in sales.

This, with shortening the ghost mini-game demo and squeezing in a short Zombi U gameplay demo, and the conference might not have had such harsh overreactions and backlash.

It would have been better for us I think, but Nintendo also published S&P2. It's the best game on Wii and severely overlooked. After my initial shock has worn off that this is what Kamiya is working on, I've warmed up to the game some. That doesn't change the fact that it has been horribly mishandled so far. Wii U looks to have the definitive version of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Nintendo is publishing it, yet not a word was mentioned at the conference either. Perhaps they know we'll find out, but after seeing so many good games get swept under the rug on Wii, it's shameful. I still can't help but feel it's getting sent out to die, but hopefully being a launch title will help it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I sincerely hope that Platinum makes some money from this title. Critical acclaim they have enough of, but some financial success would be nice as well.

I think in the near term Metal Gear is their best shot. Hopefully this is the beginning of something between both Konami and Nintendo though. Perhaps P-100 is the test grounds for Kamiya helming a Starfox game.

is that game running in 1080p native as it seems to have good image quality? Is it running in 60fps as youtube only shows 30 so I can't tell. I think I really want this game as The wii U is really suited to more strategy now that you have a really advanced controller at your disposal.

I'm so glad Nintendo is publishing this. Hopefully they really take care of it and build up Platinum even more. Then we could get a damn Metroid: Oth....no, a Samus Aran: Redemption.
Nope. If Platinum were to take on any of Nintendo's IP's... one of the best bets would probably be a 3D Kirby game. Think about it: Kirby in a 3D world, with tons of different Copy Abilities, and with that sweet Platinum action gameplay-style, being able to use them to create all kinds of different insane combos to destroy enemies and especially bosses with (really, think about what they could do with stuff like Fighter Kirby, Hi-Jump Kirby, Water Kirby, Sword Kirby etc, especially if the game had a system to let you switch between like 2-3 stored powers at a time). Of course, such a thing is but a pipe dream, but if only, if only~ Call me crazy if you like, but you know you'd want it~

Metal B

Nope. If Platinum were to take on any of Nintendo's IP's... one of the best bets would probably be a 3D Kirby game. Think about it: Kirby in a 3D world, with tons of different Copy Abilities, and with that sweet Platinum action gameplay-style, being able to use them to create all kinds of different insane combos to destroy enemies and especially bosses with. Of course, such a thing is but a pipe dream, but if only, if only~
Didn't they asked to do a Star Fox game?

This is what japanese developer should create: fun games. Let the west do there cinematic big blockbusters. Japan should instead work on small and fun games, that is there strength. They will properly not sell 100's of millions copies, but enough to make a small profit. Like in movies, comics or books not everything needs to be a big hit to be amazing.

Jintor

I know i've said this ad naeseum but WHY WASN'T THIS SHOWN AT THE CONFERENCE? Pad usage, classic charm, amazing music, Kamiya and Platinum's name... oh, what could have been. What was the logic to give this as a GT exclusive? Everyone was already depressed by the conference :(

Top Bottom