• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project scorpio to be unveiled at E3

Theorry

MS needs to intro some new franchises and hit areas they are lacking ( like RPG's ).

State of Decay is kinda RPG. And i think they are doing fine with adressing different areas.
Halo Wars is a RTS, Sea of Thieves is a MMO for example. Quite different genres.

Kal_El

Although I haven't checked e3 conference times. I think Microsoft is going first and I'm assuming PlayStation showing Destiny 2 at their conference there's virtually no chance that Microsoft will be allowed to show it running on their console right? Will they be able to show RDR2? Which multiplats do you think they'll be allowed to show? New Lord of the Rings game?

What are you talking about? You think one of the manufacturers would be able to get an exclusive licence with Disney?

Why would you even want that?

Hmm because Disney is huge and it could bring many great games if properly developed.. and t will Def push X or Y console..

Just my 2 cents..

Theorry

Although I haven't checked e3 conference times. I think Microsoft is going first and I'm assuming PlayStation showing Destiny 2 at their conference there's virtually no chance that Microsoft will be allowed to show it running on their console right? Will they be able to show RDR2? Which multiplats do you think they'll be allowed to show? New Lord of the Rings game?

Assassins Creed is my guess and Tomb Raider.

I bet on Shadow of War showing up, not sure of what else though.

m23

Hmm because Disney is huge and it could bring many great games if properly developed.. and t will Def push X or Y console..

Just my 2 cents..

A game doesn't need to be exclusive to be developed properly.

Also I think Disney being convinced to licence exclusively would cost a lot of money, a lot.

Zeta Oni

Scorpio's unveiling and pricing will probably be mostly in the form of a video/ad that's played for the first time at E3. I expect Phil Spencer to be on stage to drop some unreleased information regarding the console, and that's gonna take up the beginning of the Xbox E3 conference. Include a list of games that will be available with a Scorpio update come its release, and I think the unveiling could go well. I also expect a bit more in terms of hardware, the Xbox Design Lab might be expanded to include Elite controllers and consoles as well.

Next, we know what to expect for first party at this point:

-Crackdown 3
-State of Decay 2
-Forza 7
-Sea of Thieves
-Ashen
-Cuphead
-Probably Halo in some shape or form. Beta for 6? RPG? Halo Kart Racers? Halo Mega Blok's Evolved? Who can say...

I expect Cuphead to be available immediately following the E3 conference, or at least within the week, as a E3 showcase would serve to reignite the hype that's been lost while waiting for so long. Outside of that, New IP's or revival of older ones is kinda hard to gauge at this point, don't know what they might bring back or who might be working on it in the first place. I feel if they can deliver both, one AAA new IP and one old IP being bought back to life, id be satisfied.

Now in terms of third party marketing, I expect we will see Xbox get the rumored Assassins Creed project and possibly an upcoming Bethesda title, depending on how far along that is. Also, I would not be surprised to see Splinter Cell make an appearance, given the franchises history with the platform. I also expect to see a video contrasting many third party games performance on Xbox One, PC, and Scorpio. I also expect them to start showing off the rumored unified marketplace for W10 and Xbox that's suppose to be coming in the fall, but Gamescom seems like it would be a better fit, or perhaps that PC-focused E3 event they have been doing the past 2 years.

End the presentation with an "and one more thing"-style announcement of an OG Xbox collection, and I think it would be a killer show.

Shock32

There's definitely going to be a JRPG in there somewhere in some way shape or form. Whether it be Nier:A or something new. I expect Phil to do it, if for anything to shut people up on Twitter about it.

I'm late to the party here but I had a feeling that they would take this approach. The information we're missing on Scorpio right now could be easily covered in a video that lasts a few minutes not unlike the one they used to reveal the Xbox One S.

After much deliberation (and plenty of car issues) I've decided that Scorpio just isn't in the cards for me this year. Either way, I still look forward to seeing what they have to show for it!

Elios83

It switches with every game. Like Battlefield.

I might be wrong but the only Assassin's Creed game that was sided with Microsoft for marketing was Unity and that was because Microsoft offered Ubisoft to bundle it with every console sold during the 2014 holiday season.
The PS3 games, Black Flag and Syndicate were all marketed with Sony so in this case we can't really talk about commonly switching marketing partners.
But this year things are a bit different, with Sony having deals with all the biggest games (COD WWII, Destiny 2, RDR2 and Star Wars) of the next holiday season for Ubisoft their biggest chance at having exposure is probably with Xbox where things are nowhere as busy. It makes sense to use it as a third party showcase title for Scorpio.

Also:

Tomb Raider won't be announced so early, also with the rumors about Eidos Montreal developing the next game and the previous exclusive partnership with Microsoft not having a positive result for the franchise, I think they won't side with MS again for the next one.

Kal_El

I bet on Shadow of War showing up, not sure of what else though.

Forgot about A Creed & Tomb Raider. For 3rd party do they usually have to have the marketing deal in order to show it st their conference? Didn't PlayStation have the last deal? Maybe gave it up because they have quite a few others this year. I have to go check times. How long is their conference?

I'm looking forward to this unveiling and all the extra related tidbits that go with it. It's been a year since the announce and very slender meaningful details to work with.

Microsoft seem hungry and eager to come out fighting - I want all that razzmatazz and spectacle!

And do that "Everyone here gets a unit FOR FREE" stuff too.

Go all out, get that momentum and ride it hard.

Should be a great E3!

Skeeter49

There's definitely going to be a JRPG in there somewhere in some way shape or form. Whether it be Nier:A or something new. I expect Phil to do it, if for anything to shut people up on Twitter about it.
FFXVI, believe.
One step further.
timed exclusive

I only care about Crackdown 3.

Show me that, running on Scorpio, 1080/4k/30fps or 60, I don't care, just show me it running on Scorpio, let people pick up a controller and play it and release it this year with the destruction tech intact and a a keys to the city mode available from day one, not ad DLC.

And superpowered lieutenants and transforming vehicles. I'm getting off point, just show me Crackdown 3 on Scorpio.

RowdyReverb

I feel like if it was going to be surprisingly expensive, they would announce the price before the event so as to avoid that dominating the news

ianpm31

Still an Xbox one don't know why some of you are so excited. By the time E3 starts the first half lineup has been abysmal compared to the competition. Seriously get a pc if you're so excited over power. People should be asking for the games

Jumeira

Banned
It sort of needs to be $399, innit? They'll get too much flack otherwise.
From who? Spencer has said expect premium price, DF have said it'll most likely be $499, gamers purchasing it day one atleast on here are expecting $499. The only people that expect it to be lower aren't serious buyers, at least they're on the fence, I doubt they'd be upset if it's more and will most likely wait it out.

Lingitiz

Not to be negative..

But MS has so many games in its back catalog to floor any E3 they wanted....

I mean, can MS really kill E3 with just Forza, Sea Of Thieves, and Crackdown?? Thats already expected and not mind shattering...

And with the recent cancellations and loosing 2nd party.. it is just puzzling!

They don't have the studios or partnerships to develop these games. Also, people overestimate the cache of those old brands. They should be focusing on building new BIG things that show off investment. A Recore, KI, Ryse, is not enough. I want to see something that shows the full weight of the company behind it, ala Horizon.

Still an Xbox one don't know why some of you are so excited. By the time E3 starts the first half lineup has been abysmal compared to the competition. Seriously get a pc if you're so excited over power. People should be asking for the games

Honestly i think this will actually be a PC.

huh? Did you even see what is inside Scorpio? This is easily $499 worth.

We saw the same arguments around PS4 and PS4 Pro near launch too from armchair hardware engineers etc...

Scorpio will be $399.

If anything given Xboxs current market position they will go back to the old "lose money on hardware to make it back later in SW" strategy that everyone dropped this gen.

499 isnt gonna move the needle much for them and they need the boost. They know they need the boost. Its gonna be 399.

LKSmash

I've never understood this mentality. It's as if the notion that people prefer to use a console and/or play where the friends they've established over years in the same ecosystem don't merit any consideration. Just get a PC dummy, they're stronger. So shortsighted/annoying.

Zedox

Wrap it up guys, everyone's getting PCs now.

Strootman

Sure.

Outside of the usual us/uk they have a huge brand problem. Nothing they can do to change that as long as Playstation is around...

I've given up on the xbox brand a long time ago so not interested at all. PS4 + Switch is where it's at for me

If all you need is the 4K player just get a cheap 500 gig Xbox One S, bear in mind those'll get real cheap once the Scorpio is out and everyone is looking to offload theirs. That'll save you a few hundred and you can buy, like, 6 movies.

That's not very PositiveGamer of you.

I'll just wait it out and get a Scorpio. Crackdown 3 could be promising and I'm really hoping for a proper Fable sequel.

But yea until they get some actual games on it it will be a 4K Bluray/Multiplat box, which is still something.

paulogy

A tad surprised there's no special event before E3, but if they keep the drip feed of info going between now and E3 then maybe that's a better tactic.

This letter from Phil is particularly interesting. It reads to me a bit as a "please come back to us developers... and gamers too".

I sincerely wish them well with this console release. It's exciting when new hardware is done well and so far they seem to have made some pretty good choices.

Oh and since this will probably come up in this thread too: while I used to think Scorpio would launch for $499 or more, after the news from this week I think it's going to be $399 after all.

Dynomutt

A tad surprised there's no special event before E3, but if they keep the drip feed of info going between now and E3 then maybe that's a better tactic.

This letter from Phil is particularly interesting. It reads to me a bit as a "please come back to us developers... and gamers too".

I sincerely wish them well with this console release. It's exciting when new hardware is done well and so far they seem to have made some pretty good choices.

Did MS really lose devs? Like I don't count marketing because the game is being developed regardless. I think this gen really left a bad taste is MS mouth. Pride more than anything which is still good for competition. Just don't want pride to lead to blind ambition for MS and Xbox but they seem to be in the right direction!

Top Bottom