• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project scorpio to be unveiled at E3

Theorry

Did MS really lose devs? Like I don't count marketing because the game is being developed regardless. I think this gen really left a bad taste is MS mouth. Pride more than anything which is still good for competition. Just don't want pride to lead to blind ambition for MS and Xbox but they seem to be in the right direction!

"Lose devs" more in like making good dev tools and easy to develop.

Dabanton

Still an Xbox one don't know why some of you are so excited. By the time E3 starts the first half lineup has been abysmal compared to the competition. Seriously get a pc if you're so excited over power. People should be asking for the games

Because it's a new console are you excited about your PS4? Or is that different?

Some of you guys are so angry over the idea of Scorpio that it's actually pretty amusing.

paulogy

Did MS really lose devs? Like I don't count marketing because the game is being developed regardless. I think this gen really left a bad taste is MS mouth. Pride more than anything which is still good for competition. Just don't want pride to lead to blind ambition for MS and Xbox but they seem to be in the right direction!

I wouldn't have thought so. Which is why it's interesting to me to read a letter that seems both to the development community, and the players. My impression is they usually speak to developers on the side, beforehand, and then the community after. Not at the same time like this.

Kibbles

From who? Spencer has said expect premium price, DF have said it'll most likely be $499, gamers purchasing it day one atleast on here are expecting $499. The only people that expect it to be lower aren't serious buyers, at least they're on the fence, I doubt they'd be upset if it's more and will most likely wait it out.
$400 is a premium price 7 months from now when the base model (One S) will be $200.

Xeroblade

I was just thinking of upgrading my OG X1 to a S, just recently got a 4k TV so wanted to put it to the test. Looks like I am holding out til after E3 to see what this brings to the table.

Gestault

For a totally reasonable and expected price?

If you're pricing out UHD 4K multimedia devices, $500 isn't by any means out of the park for a higher-end player, let alone the game machine with those features. This isn't the meanstream product in the Xbox line. I'm not in that sub-market, but as much as I think a $399 system would be best competatively, I don't know if the underlying cost will fit that.

paulogy

A tad surprised there's no special event before E3, but if they keep the drip feed of info going between now and E3 then maybe that's a better tactic.

This letter from Phil is particularly interesting. It reads to me a bit as a "please come back to us developers... and gamers too".

I sincerely wish them well with this console release. It's exciting when new hardware is done well and so far they seem to have made some pretty good choices.

Oh and since this will probably come up in this thread too: while I used to think Scorpio would launch for $499 or more, after the news from this week I think it's going to be $399 after all.

I mean even the title is "Project Scorpio: The Most Powerful Place to Create and Play", in that order

Zedox

You forget that each Xbox is a devkit and not only can you make apps, you can now make games and sell them as well on the Store (XBLIG 2.0). Also, if you have a Scorpio, you can make your game for it and scale it for XBO as well. It's not only AAA developers and indies (XDK usage), but students, hobbyists, and joe schmoes of the world. He's basically calling it out as if the Xbox platform is like the PC platform where you have this one place you can develop everything on (though it's not the same).

It's not really "losing" as more to "gaining" more devs. Reading the interview and listening to Phil over the years, he's always stated that the next big thing will come from indies and rarely the AAA market, so trying to appease to those developers is probably a smart thing to do because you want them to be on your platform.

paulogy

You forget that each Xbox is a devkit and not only can you make apps, you can now make games and sell them as well on the Store (XBLIG 2.0). Also, if you have a Scorpio, you can make your game for it and scale it for XBO as well. It's not only AAA developers and indies (XDK usage), but students, hobbyists, and joe schmoes of the world. He's basically calling it out as if the Xbox platform is like the PC platform where you have this one place you can develop everything on (though it's not the same).

It's not really "losing" as more to "gaining" more devs. Reading the interview and listening to Phil over the years, he's always stated that the next big thing will come from indies and rarely the AAA market, so trying to appease to those developers is probably a smart thing to do because you want them to be on your platform.

I have not forgotten. Perhaps others did and they needed to be reminded in the letter. It's just interesting they are leaning so hard into this key differentiation (including a whole paragraph about the "special dev kit" that not nearly as many will get to experience). This was a tactic they used when they weren't the performance leader, but soon they will be, so why not emphasize that even more instead?

Still an Xbox one don't know why some of you are so excited. By the time E3 starts the first half lineup ha s been abysmal compared to the competition. Seriously get a pc if you're so excited over power. People should be asking for the games

Hey we get it, MS stuff doesn't float your boat and that's okay, but you know...there are some of us and many others who are interested/excited. Also, not everyone wants to game on PC...it's not very hard to comprehend that right?

So, you know you can just leave it be and not partake in discussions regarding products that you have no interest in (as you've already stated)...but yet you still continue to popup and provide not much to the discussion.

Right, on to the topic...

Don't expect much time devoted to showing off the console...we'll see it, hear the price, name, and release date. Will probably move right on to the next thing once they are done. Either this will be shown at the very beginning of their conference to get it out of the way or at the very end.

I'm not really into Scorpio but it really makes me excited for E3 to see something new. Last couple E3s have been snoozers for me, but now if we get a beefy console + RDR2... I'll be all set.

paulogy

Don't expect much time devoted to showing off the console...we'll see it, hear the price, name, and release date. Will probably move right on to the next thing once they are done. Either this will be shown at the very beginning of their conference to get it out of the way or at the very end.

I think it will bookend:

Start with the Scorpio visual reveal
Reminder about the specs
Here's a bunch of games running on Scorpio
Games, games, games
Some other stuff
Close with release date, and finally price ($399)

Theorry

Hey we get it, MS stuff doesn't float your boat and that's okay, but you know...there are some of us and many others who are interested/excited. Also, not everyone wants to game on PC...it's not very hard to comprehend that right?

So, you know you can just leave it be and not partake in discussions regarding products that you have no interest in (as you've already stated)...but yet you still continue to popup and provide not much to the discussion.

Right, on to the topic...

Beginning. People want to hear it and it makes room to talk about it for the rest of the show. Instead of come cloud hanging over it during the show.

If it was more expensive, I think they'd announce the price before E3. Open the show with it. $400. Hopefully comes out September 5th, before all the big games this Fall.

yuraya

I'm not sure how the'll spend 20 minutes on Halo, Gears, and Forza. Halo 6 reveal would be a teaser, and I don't think there will be any major Gears announcements other than a new mode and maps. They don't generally spend too long on Forza at E3 anyway. Shadow of War also has a ton of footage out there, so I don't see 10 minutes for it.

Shadow of War is their big 3rd party game for this fall so I think there will be a long demo and devs on stage etc. I could see it take up a long time. Sony has marketing for everything else basically. Maybe MS has marketing for AssCreed but that is probably gonna be unveiled at Ubi conference. Also if Halo 6 is only a year away I think they will put up more than a teaser. There could be other Halo news as well. 343 usually gets a lot of stage time. And Forza 7 will probably be the big graphical 1st party showcase for Scorpio so they will probably put cars and stuff on stage.

JonCha

If it's $399, it's well and truly game on, and if they can have something like Destiny or Battlefront look fantastic on it then people will want to buy the console.

MarveI

Shadow of War is their big 3rd party game for this fall so I think there will be a long demo and devs on stage etc. I could see it take up a long time. Sony has marketing for everything else basically. Maybe MS has marketing for AssCreed but that is probably gonna be unveiled at Ubi conference. Also if Halo 6 is only a year away I think they will put up more than a teaser. There could be other Halo news as well. 343 usually gets a lot of stage time. And Forza 7 will probably be the big graphical 1st party showcase for Scorpio so they will probably put cars and stuff on stage.

Sony really have a BIG advantage.

They can practically do E3 with barely any exclusive games and just show first footage of Red Dead 2, Destiny 2, Star Wars BF 2, CODWW2 and they'd have a terrific E3 just for that. That's definately going to steal a lot of MS' thunder because those games (especially Star Wars, Red Dead 2 are HUGE). Not to mention CODWW2 and Destiny 2 which are no slouch either. I know they're just marketing rights but for E3 and the target audience they'll reach with those marketing rights (not to mention hype and buzz) will be off the charts. Whereas MS won't have that. And I simply can't think of anything MS can do, in terms of games, that can rival that.

They can practically do E3 with barely any exclusive games and just show first footage of Red Dead 2, Destiny 2, Star Wars BF 2, CODWW2 and they'd have a terrific E3 just for that. That's definately going to steal a lot of MS' thunder because those games (especially Star Wars, Red Dead 2 are HUGE). Not to mention CODWW2 and Destiny 2 which are no slouch either. I know they're just marketing rights but for E3 and the target audience they'll reach with those marketing rights (not to mention hype and buzz) will be off the charts. Whereas MS won't have that. And I simply can't think of anything MS can do, in terms of games, that can rival that.

giphy.gif

I can't think of many people who post here who would be happy with a primarily third party showing from Sony at E3. Most of this stuff will be revealed before E3 anyway (CoD, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2 are all getting revealed early). I would be sleeping through that conference for sure.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm curious--is the PS4 Pro selling that well to signify that another iterative upgrade will be good for the market? I haven't been able to pay much attention to sales numbers recently.

I'm surprised people are thinking it won't have a SKU that is $400. That seems like a given to me. Anything higher and i wonder what exactly they think they're up to.

Dynomutt

Phil will end the show like this:

Today was a big day for Xbox. Here at Xbox we believe the camaraderie of the games industry and believe we can take things to new heights.

Project Scorpio was not just about power but about putting gamers at the center of everything we do and to build the best platform on which to create and play games.

That means all games...

[PAUSE]

[Audience murmur]

We have spoken to our legal and due to licensing concerns we cannot show anything but I can confirm that using a combination of, innovation, development tools, engineers, raspberry pi's, and dedicated patrons of Brazil (In Vin Diesel voice!) we have dumped and tested Uncharted 4 in 4k on Scorpio!

We are not done yet...

Preservation of games is something we take highly. This is evident in our recent store changes. As a result all emulators will be available on the WIndows Store. Please make sure you own any and all roms. We have our war chest ready as a contingency plan.

Sony the ball is in your court. Are your truly #4thegamers?

On behalf of everyone at Team Xbox, thank you for your continued passion and support!

QMNAZSj.gif

The God

Focusing on the next 6 months is more entertaining then showing games that won't come out for 2-3 years.

Use "the best lineup in Xbox history " tagline, and they're golden.

They'll both have great shows, one is amplified when a new console is involved.

those "next 6 months" were games that were revealed years ago tho

I think it will bookend:

Start with the Scorpio visual reveal
Reminder about the specs
Here's a bunch of games running on Scorpio
Games, games, games
Some other stuff
Close with release date, and finally price ($399)

Beginning. People want to hear it and it makes room to talk about it for the rest of the show. Instead of come cloud hanging over it during the show.

We will see, either way can work with combination of good announcements and some nice surprises. Crowd would go nuts and atmosphere will be electrifying, if they pounce out with some great footage of games we don't know much about and games we had no idea they were planning with good price/release info on Scorpio.

Since the APU does not have the latest tech from AMD - i suspect the price to be $399. The cost for the cooling and additional ram is what made them wait another year most likely. but damn .. 12 ... 12GB of ram on this beast.

They are showing a new console more powerful than the Pro, thats not their next gen console.

They should win by default.

IIRC Sony never had a national event for the Pro.

Thats another thing some folks need to consider, Sony never really positioned the Pro like MS is doing the Scorpio.

yup. that does kinda devalue the E3 announcement of next gen consoles, though. or it might.

I think if the price is high ($499), it'll be at the end. If it's low ($399), it'll be at the beginning.

My reason for this thinking is that if it's high, they'll work really hard during the show to show off all of Scorpio's features and pros, so that by the time the end of the show comes around, you'll understand the higher price.

Then again, I don't work in the business of E3 planning, so what do I know! And if I had my pick, I'd rather we get the price out at the beginning so that we can pay attention to the games the rest of the show.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I am continuously baffled by the people that think the internals here are worth 500$.

They aren't. They are overclocked Jaguar/Polaris parts, a year later after Sony launched it's 399$ jaguar/polaris box. There's no way they are letting stuff like cooling or a few gigs of ram jack up the price to 499$. They have experienced first-hand that people aren't easily swayed to buy any console at that pricepoint.

The XB1S is set to reach 199$ this holiday season. It's bigger and beefier brother will retail at 399$, which is the current standard new console entry price.

And indeed, were it more expensive, they'd have announced that factoid before E3, because they wouldn't want their show to be tainted by that price ever again. They'll drop the 399 as their trump card after hyping it up for over a year about how 'premium' it is. Bank on it.

Dabanton

The interesting thing that upsets the apple cart is that in any other year that would be fantastic as Sony would have default the best looking console versions of those games. This year though it creates a bit of a problem as people will want to see what those multiplats look like on Scorpio. Now whether that happens at E3 there is nothing Sony can do to stop other game outlets and more importantly streamers and lets plays discussing comparisons well before the games come out.

Plus and this will be also very interesting how aggressively will MS market this machine? Sony did the bare minimum with the Pro. I personally think MS will have an obscene non stop barrage of ads. That will use every buzzword in the book to make the Scorpio look like the place to play the best version of those games.

It's going to be a crazy couple of months.

paulogy

I think if the price is high ($499), it'll be at the end. If it's low ($399), it'll be at the beginning.

My reason for this thinking is that if it's high, they'll work really hard during the show to show off all of Scorpio's features and pros, so that by the time the end of the show comes around, you'll understand the higher price.

Then again, I don't work in the business of E3 planning, so what do I know! And if I had my pick, I'd rather we get the price out at the beginning so that we can pay attention to the games the rest of the show.

My prediction: If the price isn't $399 you won't see it at E3. And if the price isn't at E3 it won't be $399.

I am continuously baffled by the people that think the internals here are worth 500$.

They aren't. They are overclocked Jaguar/Polaris parts, a year later after Sony launched it's 399$ jaguar/polaris box. There's no way they are letting stuff like cooling or a few gigs of ram jack up the price to 499$. They have experienced first-hand that people aren't easily swayed to buy any console at that pricepoint.

The XB1S is set to reach 199$ this holiday season. It's bigger and beefier brother will retail at 399$, which is the current standard new console entry price.

And indeed, were it more expensive, they'd have announced that factoid before E3, because they wouldn't want their show to be tainted by that price ever again. They'll drop the 399 as their trump card after hyping it up for over a year about how 'premium' it is. Bank on it.

I don't think it can be said any better than this.
#Team399

blakep267

It'll be just like last year. The lights dim and the Scorpio video plays. Highlights 4K, bluray etc. then the video ends with the price and release date. Phil comes out and says," yup this October yadda yadda yadda $399. Now he's a game close to my heart. Crackdown 3"

It'll take less than 3 minutes at the beginning of the show.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The interesting thing that upsets the apple cart is that in any other year that would be fantastic as Sony would have default the best looking console versions of those games. This year though it creates a bit of a problem as people will want to see what those multiplats look like on Scorpio. Now whether that happens at E3 there is nothing Sony can do to stop other game outlets and more importantly streamers and lets plays discussing comparisons well before the games come out.

Plus and this will be also very interesting how aggressively will MS market this machine? Sony did the bare minimum with the Pro. I personally think MS will have an obscene non stop barrage of ads. That will use every buzzword in the book to make the Scorpio look like the place to play the best version of those games.

It's going to be a crazy couple of months.

I think people are overestimating the actual visual difference we'll see between PS4 Pro and Scorpio versions of games. 4KCBR vs Native 4K isn't going to make a lick of difference in a youtube video.

Sure it'll be the best version if everything works out, but I don't think anyone is going to be losing their minds over either version. I don't think this argument will hold.

Top Bottom