• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project scorpio to be unveiled at E3

paulogy

They did more expensive SKUs for the XB1S, held back the cheaper option so that the early adopters pay the premium. Then when the early adopters were covered released the cheaper options.

And as you recall they announced the cheaper one ("starts at" $299) first, but the preorders for that didn't go live until a month after the more expensive one. I suspect they'd use the same approach again here.

Damon

I'll just wait it out and get a Scorpio. Crackdown 3 could be promising and I'm really hoping for a proper Fable sequel.

But yea until they get some actual games on it it will be a 4K Bluray/Multiplat box, which is still something.

Lol.

Fables over, tarnished and finished.

Microsoft destroyed Lionhead and had them work on that nonsense called Fable Legend.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I got the invite today in my inbox but won't be able to go this year sadly. Looking forward to watching it.

Three

399 is the smart bet, Sony has been stomping them with that pricepoint, and the specs line up with that price.

MS isn't stupid, so I hope they are buying up studios and about to drop some megaton exclusive announcements. E3 is going to be pretty deadly for them if they don't step up their game big time in that dept.

I've got my eye on Xbox, and I haven't said that since 2002

Why would they close several studios and cancel their exclusive games to then buy up other studios for exclusives. MS don't care for new exclusives. They have a tendency to buy studios but I don't think they are in a position for expansion at the moment. What I do see is them concentrating on their existing IPs and studios. A minecraft 2 or something to get the kids talking about the xbox. New Halo, new Forza, the usual stuff. MS is not about risk.

The HYPE is REAL!

SourHollowGoa.gif

Credtis to Chris Metal for the gif

jeffram

A $399 console with these specs will almost surely sell tons this holiday season, but you're right, cheaper consoles do sell more.
I think you are putting too much emphasis on specs. What Scorpio needs to prove is it's noticeably better than its competitors (including the one s). Diminishing returns is real, and even the PS4 pro doubling resolution over the base PS4 wasn't a monumental change. I recon that 40% more pixels will be hard to descern to a normal consumer.

A $399 console with these specs will almost surely sell tons this holiday season, but you're right, cheaper consoles do sell more.
I think it will do what MS wants it to do. I don't know about tons though. The US and UK would really have to carry it (which isn't entirely unfeasible but yeah) because the overall market won't be there.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why would they close several studios and cancel their exclusive games to then buy up other studios for exclusives. MS don't care for new exclusives. They have a tendency to buy studios but I don't think they are in a position for expansion at the moment. What I do see is them concentrating on their existing IPs and studios. A minecraft 2 or something to get the kids talking about the xbox. New Halo, new Forza, the usual stuff. MS is not about risk.

Doesn't their entire 2017 lineup say different? Not to mention Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, reviving Killer Instinct, etc?

Three

Doesn't their entire 2017 lineup say different? Not to mention Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, reviving Killer Instinct, etc?

Their 2017 lineup? Those IPs died. They had big studio names and they died. Those were unknows for sure but risks they werent once they had the data.

I think Sea of Thieves is their riskiest project by far.

I'm not seeing it in titles like State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3.

Edit - Their current software looks to be about appeasing their core base. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that (and it is probably their most viable option from a business perspective) but it isn't risky either.

Nope Scorpio will don't kid yourself , it has everything everyone wants and so much more XB1S will sell along side it ..but Scorpio will take the crown

Yep, just like the PS4 Pro is outselling the Slim... oh wait.

If there's a clear price difference (and there will be), the cheaper model that plays the same games is the one the mass market will buy. The enthusiasts and gamers will most definitely get the more expensive model, but that's a very small portion of the market.

Three

Sea of Thieves
Halo wars 2
Crackdown 3

The only possible risk I see there is sea of thieves but again that's Rare. Risk would be opening a new studio to work on a new exclusive. They clearly aren't completely risk averse but when you look at the ips that have died, the games canceled and the studios closed they are not up for expansion and they are clearly taking less risks than the time the xb1 was revealed. A lot of those games are from that time.

Three

One game cancelled another get greenlit. MS publish 3-4 big games every years, it's been that way for every long time.
They will fund new projects to make up with cancelled games.

We are talking about opening/buying studios mainly but the cancelled games and studio closures are anything but ordinary this gen. They have been greater than before, the delays greater, the number of greenlit games fewer each year. That's not to say nothing will get greenlit again though. I certainly hope not.

The only possible risk I see there is sea of thieves but again that's Rare. Risk would be opening a new studio to work on a new exclusive. They clearly aren't completely risk averse but when you look at the ips that have died, the games canceled and the studios closed they are not up for expansion and they are clearly taking less risks than the time the xb1 was revealed. A lot of those games are from that time.
From Phil's comments on Podcast Unlocked they're in the process of rebuilding their internal studios now that they've cleared some cap so to speak.

Fisty

If MS wants to break out of the games ennui they are currently mired in, they are going to need to bet big on something risky. Sony is publishing games left right and center, while MS is just biding their time (?) which is not doing them any favors

Minecraft 2 could generate some hype, but it would take AGES to get it to something better or more robust than what's currently available. If they stick with Halo Gears Forza and a couple big budget indies, it's going to be a bloodbath. State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 are well-treaded ground, and Sea of Thieves looks like the only thing giving them game credibility at the moment besides their indie partnerships

From Phil's comments on Podcast Unlocked they're in the process of rebuilding their internal studios now that they've cleared some cap so to speak.

I wonder how many new studios they could fund with the money they pump into 343.

It's been years and still they haven't proven themselves capable of carrying an IP as big as Halo.

Ya'll are crazy for thinking this will be $399. I just want MS to announce some great exclusives and explicitly demonstrate how powerful this console will be.

timlot

Banned
Scorpio concept based on dev kit from user Hazza42 on r/xboxone
I reversed the images to match disc slot on right side based on on the hardware pic from MS

Disc slot will be on the same side as XB1/S. Hardware pic for Scorpio is upside down. MS as mentioned the back ports are in the same position as the XB1 S.

jpg

b9cd5fcc-8dd2-44a1-944b-f8e64e266f29.png

Elitist1945

Fuck I got the XB1 a few months after launch and besides Halo: MCC and Halo 5 I didn't really enjoy the games it had, but everytime they announce a new Xbox I want to get it. I even got the XB1S which I only use for 4K movies (kudos to you, MS).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Random prediction.

Scorpio is an all black console and they'll add "...and to celebrate the unveiling of Scorpio (Xbox Whatever) we're happy to announce that the Xbox One S now comes in black"

LowParry

Why are so many people thinking this will run $399? Aren't the specs simply too high for that price?

MS has to be competitive in some say. And price is a big one. They have to have $399 for the price or it's DOA. But, on the flip side, how will Sony respond? Lower their Pro price? Either way, it's a win for everyone.

MS has to be competitive in some say. And price is a big one. They have to have $399 for the price or it's DOA. But, on the flip side, how will Sony respond? Lower their Pro price? Either way, it's a win for everyone.

I can see sony selling the pro this holiday season for 300 to 350 just to cut into scorpio sales. People in general will know that scorpio is better than ps4 but most would think ps4 pro is as powerful as the scorpio.

Ricky_R

Why are so many people thinking this will run $399? Aren't the specs simply too high for that price?

Copy & pasting from price discussion thread. I feel going above $399 would be a mistake if they want to remain somewhat competitive this gen.

It will be $399. No matter the target, $399 will fall under an "enthusiasts" price point since Scorpio is a mid gen upgrade and other consoles will be more affordable. Pricing it above that would put it on the undesirable aisle.

Not only that, but MS must take into account probable reactions from competitors, the most important being a Pro price drop during Scorpio's release. MS announced Scorpio a year and a half before release, out of desperation, to improve perception. Going over $399 would be a contradiction to all their recent efforts.

Gwyn

Disc slot will be on the same side as XB1/S. Hardware pic for Scorpio is upside down. MS as mentioned the back ports are in the same position as the XB1 S.

jpg

Upside down? That's weird aren't ports usually placed at the bottom side of the console?
Anyway we'll find out at E3

LowParry

I can see sony selling the pro this holiday season for 300 to 350 just to cut into scorpio sales. People in general will know that scorpio is better than ps4 but most would think ps4 pro is as powerful as the scorpio.

I don't think your casual buyer is going to care what system does in terms of power. They're going to look at the games first and foremost. Though it'll be interesting since we're still fairly new to 4k, how much of that will factor in between the consoles.

Top Bottom