• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project scorpio to be unveiled at E3

timlot

Banned
jpg

Upside down? That's weird aren't ports usually placed at the bottom side of the console?
Anyway we'll find out at E3

When the console is upright. The motherboard will be on top with all the other components (disc drive, fan and cooling, and power supply underneath it. Hard drive looks like it will be set in its own cutout with disc drive under it when system is upright.

Why does everyone think the price has to be $399 or $499 but nothing in the middle? Couldn't it launch at $449 or some other arbitrary amount? Wii U launched at $349.

Either way you're not going to see this console reach $499. I can almost guarantee it. Microsoft needs this thing to be viewed as an immediate success and they would never allow it to appear or resemble the X1's launch when Kinect came bundled with it. $499 would just create a Pavlov's dog like assumption Scorpio isn't worth it. And I'm willing to bet that MS would absorb some of the cost of the console in order to make the price more attractive. Scorpio has to leave the gate running. I think that's part of the reason why Phil Spencer has spent so much time saying it's a premium device. He's going to make it seem like an elite piece of hardware and then when he announces the price, people will be even more interested in buying it because it will be far less than what they expected. It will almost be like you're saving money at that point.

I see the $399 rationale, but it applies equally to the Switch $200 or $250 people who were all wrong. I'm expecting some shock and dismay on this release too.

shoreu

Lol.

Fables over, tarnished and finished.

Microsoft destroyed Lionhead and had them work on that nonsense called Fable Legend.

Nah fable legends was a beautiful game. Easily one of the best looking on Xbox one imo. And it was mechanically brilliant for several characters

If they make a fable 4 reusing assets and abilities I'm there day one.

JaggedSac

Nah fable legends was a beautiful game. Easily one of the best looking on Xbox one imo. And it was mechanically brilliant for several characters

If they make a fable 4 reusing assets and abilities I'm there day one.

The assets were utterly fantastic. The gameplay, not so much. If they made a single player Fable with those assets, I would definitely be in.

Nope Scorpio will don't kid yourself , it has everything everyone wants and so much more XB1S will sell along side it ..but Scorpio will take the crown

That's not how this works.

Price is king in Nov-Dec. XB1S will be 150 to 250 dollars cheaper. It will oversell Scorpio by a very large margin and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Anyway, another E3 showing just confirms this thing will be $399.

shoreu

The assets were utterly fantastic. The gameplay, not so much. If they made a single player Fable with those assets, I would definitely be in.

I really enjoyed the actual depth of character unlike fable 3 it felt like a return to actual rpg roots. The crazy abilities made the game fun imo obviously.

Fable legends would be a great starting point for the next game imo

Hawk269

I played it. It wasn't great. They need to make a real fable game or let the franchise die.

Agree. It did not play that great, but some of the visuals were pretty impressive. I would an open world Fable game, I think it would be a great game and if they follow a little bit of Zelda BOTW formula it could be pretty amazing.

Not really getting a lot. I think it is an average price for what you get but I still don't expect 399 simply because of the fact that MS tend to overprice their hardware to get maximum profit from early adoptors then lower it later.

That's simply not true. Microsoft always sells new consoles at a loss. The same will true with Scorpio...MS will sell them at cost or with a little loss per unit sold.

Yep, just like the PS4 Pro is outselling the Slim... oh wait.

If there's a clear price difference (and there will be), the cheaper model that plays the same games is the one the mass market will buy. The enthusiasts and gamers will most definitely get the more expensive model, but that's a very small portion of the market.
Scorpio's power level is a much more substantial jump over XBox One than PS4 Pro is over the PS4. They aren't really analogous situations.

Hawk269

Damn.

Literally every time I check a Scorpio thread, I see the same comments about PC.

Jesus fucking christ.

How hard is it to comprehend that lots of people don't want to play games on PC?

There is a new machine coming out that will provide the best third party experience. Can't you guys just let others be excited about that?

No more crippled or inferior versions of franchises they might love like Battlefield, or COD, or whatever.

Agree with you and I own a 2xTitan X Pascal Gaming RIG and I game more on my consoles by far than I do on my RIG. Main reason is that I end up tweaking games way to much instead of just playing them. When I get a new PC game, I would say the first few hours if not longer is me running benchmarks, making tweaks, run more bench marks etc. I know a lot of fellow PC gamers do the same thing. On console, I load the game and play and that is it. I know some will scoff at that, but a lot of people spend considerable time tweaking settings to get to whatever the end goal of performance you want...while on console to me it is pop in and play.

I been around here a very long time, still don't get why PC is brought into a console discussion and even more so the console warriors posting there delightful insight in a thread for a console they have Zero interest in.

Hawk269

Still an Xbox one don't know why some of you are so excited. By the time E3 starts the first half lineup has been abysmal compared to the competition. Seriously get a pc if you're so excited over power. People should be asking for the games

Serious? Come on now. Obviously you have ZERO interest in Scorpio...so why exactly are you posting in a Scorpio thread?

edit...I normally NEVER look at someone's post history but a quick look pretty much reveals that you enjoy going into Scorpio threads to take a shit in them. So no surprise. You are my 1st ignore person since I joined GAF ages ago. Congrats!!!

Serious? Come on now. Obviously you have ZERO interest in Scorpio...so why exactly are you posting in a Scorpio thread?

edit...I normally NEVER look at someone's post history but a quick look pretty much reveals that you enjoy going into Scorpio threads to take a shit in them. So no surprise. You are my 1st ignore person since I joined GAF ages ago. Congrats!!!

He has a point though. It's pretty unlikely that hardware power put Xbone in this bad spot. For MS to turn that around it needs gamezzzzz.

Xbox One had all the games at the start of the generation and sold like shit compared to PS4

Okay, games and don't be evil. MS obviously screwed up Xbone at the start with the whole TV, DRM and Kinect BS. They got rid of all of that, but they still need big exclusives this E3.

Dabanton

He has a point though. It's pretty unlikely that hardware power put Xbone in this bad spot. For MS to turn that around it needs gamezzzzz.

Price, being seen as 'weaker' and hardware did.

MS had games. But they were mostly shit on because, of oh lets see what the narrative was around release. Resolution and whether a game was 1080p or not some people simply couldn't play a game if it was below that apparently.

Whole threads on Xbox One exclusives had concern trolling shitposting about 900p. I mean even the term 1080pr was a long running joke on gaf.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

MS had games. But they were mostly shit on because, of oh lets see what the narrative was around release. Resolution and whether a game was 1080p or not some people simply couldn't play a game if it was below that apparently.

Whole threads on Xbox One exclusives had concern trolling shitposting about 900p. I mean even the term 1080pr was a long running joke on gaf.

Yet FauxK will net you a ban I think

Hawk269

MS has to be competitive in some say. And price is a big one. They have to have $399 for the price or it's DOA. But, on the flip side, how will Sony respond? Lower their Pro price? Either way, it's a win for everyone.

While I think $399.99 is a good price point, the tech in this thing suggests it might be more. Also going by comments from Phil, they are not positioning Scorpio to be a leader in sales, they fully believe that for them, the Xbox One S will be the better selling system amongst the Xbox One family. While I am wishing for $399.99, I think it will be $499.99 or $449.99.

Mauddib

Banned
8ppzjsf14cry.jpg

Did you get your Invitation Gaf? Hype may now commence.

Man whoever the graphic designer behind the decision to make the green lines on the images of the chip is a legit genius. Allows MS to rebrand the Xbox division as the place for 'hardcore' gamers while making the imagery of internal hardware components look cool as fuck.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sony really have a BIG advantage.

They can practically do E3 with barely any exclusive games and just show first footage of Red Dead 2, Destiny 2, Star Wars BF 2, CODWW2 and they'd have a terrific E3 just for that. That's definately going to steal a lot of MS' thunder because those games (especially Star Wars, Red Dead 2 are HUGE). Not to mention CODWW2 and Destiny 2 which are no slouch either. I know they're just marketing rights but for E3 and the target audience they'll reach with those marketing rights (not to mention hype and buzz) will be off the charts. Whereas MS won't have that. And I simply can't think of anything MS can do, in terms of games, that can rival that.

So Microsoft gets lambasted for having "no exclusives" and everyone has been downplaying Scorpio because "show us the games at E3" but Sony would have a great E3 with 3rd party multiplats?

Riiiiiiight.

Dynomutt

While I think $399.99 is a good price point, the tech in this thing suggests it might be more. Also going by comments from Phil, they are not positioning Scorpio to be a leader in sales, they fully believe that for them, the Xbox One S will be the better selling system amongst the Xbox One family. While I am wishing for $399.99, I think it will be $499.99 or $449.99.

All talk. This is exactly the best way to establish the precedence that it will be expensive. Then you come out and punch them in the mouth when they least expect it. MS will, can. and, must sell this console fore no more then 399.99 plus tax. I don't care what tech is in there. This console has to be $399.99. You telling me when MS was winning NPD in October they weren't shouting it out?

If Phil comes out and says $499.99 I know the TimDogs will be like. Yay! More please!

Everyone else will be like:
tenor.gif

I can wait.

I don't care who it's for. You think enthusiast were the only ones that bought the elite controller? Vice versa you really think MS only wants to sell a million of these? What type of profit were they expecting at what cost? A million buyers will not grow your eco-system alone especially if they are pre-existing customers with accounts and content who just upgraded boxes.

This seems like a reset for MS. Unlike Sony they are showing it at E3 that alone means they want the attention and buzz. This also show's confidence. If that eco-system is really kicking like that with EA, Game Pass, Play Anywhere, Refunds, and etc. Then price it at $399.99 so the growth and and new fans and come in. Phil can then just C- Walk off the stage.

I really feel it is imperative for MS to price this right. $399.99 is the sweet spot. Anymore then risk not moving units (outside the target) until a price drop and revisions. I've been wrong before.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The victim complex on display in Xbox/Scorpio threads recently is getting embarassing.

Looking forward to seeing what MS unveil beyond the hardware itself. E.g. VR, launch titles and other features.

Huh? People have been banned for FauxK.

1080pr is someone's tag here.

Huh? People have been banned for FauxK.

1080pr is someone's tag here.

My comment is in relation not only to your post but the one you were replying to. There are plenty of posts recently that imply that Xbox has somehow been treated unfairly etc.

Personally I think it's getting old and seems to be occurring in every thread.

Rainer70

While there is some truth to that, just because the Scorpio is capable of 4k doesn't mean the base PS4 is all-of-a-sudden going to be expected to produce sub-1080p games.

Since the majority of console gamers have 1080p TVs, the difference in power won't be as big a deal as the beginning of the generation when one couldn't even hit 1080p regularly. 4k TV owners will have the choice between 2 consoles that can hit 4k (whether checkerboard or otherwise), and without compelling exclusive software, it's going to be hard to convince many gamers to choose Scorpio if they're already well invested in another ecosystem.

People made a big stink about the Xbox One not hitting 1080p because a gaming console in 2013 was expected to do that easily.

Kawngi

Super excited for Scorpio still. Kind of wish we'd be getting a separate event ahead of E3 and leave E3 itself for gamesgamesgamesgames (also I'm impatient af) but this is what I expected

spannicus

While there is some truth to that, just because the Scorpio is capable of 4k doesn't mean the base PS4 is all-of-a-sudden going to be expected to produce sub-1080p games.

Since the majority of console gamers have 1080p TVs, the difference in power won't be as big a deal as the beginning of the generation when one couldn't even hit 1080p regularly. 4k TV owners will have the choice between 2 consoles that can hit 4k (whether checkerboard or otherwise), and without compelling exclusive software, it's going to be hard to convince many gamers to choose Scorpio if they're already well invested in another ecosystem.

People made a big stink about the Xbox One not hitting 1080p because a gaming console in 2013 was expected to do that easily.

Shit with just some of the services and options Microsoft will be giving to Scorpio owners, for some that may be enough to push em over. The games will come, no doubt about that. With everything they have been announcing, some folks are already saving up. I see a complete reversal with Scorpios release. I have all the consoles and im extremely excited for Scorpio, even though my PC trumps it.

Shit with just some of the services and options Microsoft will be giving to Scorpio owners, for some that may be enough to push em over. The games will come, no doubt about that. With everything they have been announcing, some folks are already saving up. I see a complete reversal with Scorpios release.

A complete reversal of what exactly.

I can see this as an outcome unless they have new quality software.

Top Bottom