• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project scorpio to be unveiled at E3

Xbox being the place for Multiplats and ps4 being the place for exclusives. Once the word gets out, outside of gaming forums, this console is gonna be a beast.

Interesting. I suspect that mindshare has swung too far towards Sony to see a reversal any time soon.

Quazar

So Microsoft gets lambasted for having "no exclusives" and everyone has been downplaying Scorpio because "show us the games at E3" but Sony would have a great E3 with 3rd party multiplats?

Riiiiiiight.

Marketing rights on games that they'll most likely have inferior versions of. Lol

Rainer70

Xbox being the place for Multiplats and ps4 being the place for exclusives. Once the word gets out, outside of gaming forums, this console is gonna be a beast.

While you could potentially be right, I feel like the commoner gamer has bought into the marketing that resolution = power. If Sony can convince them that they aren't missing out because they're 4k too, I don't see too many switching over. Even with Scorpio playing and looking better with multiplats, I think more would care about missing out on exclusive content in the game (in the case of Destiny 2, we'll see about RDR2, Battlefront and whatever other marketing deal Sony snatched up). And with a​ bunch of franchises becoming games-as-a-service model, you also have to worry about where your gaming buddies go if you want to continue having a consistent experience.

We're way too late into the generation to change perception on PS4, especially since it'll have a distinct advantage in price compared to Scorpio.

Wedzi

Banned

Unless it costs $499? Do people expect a ton of hardcore gamers that play on PS4 who already have large library's, multiplayer progress on games like Rocket League, Overwatch, Battlefield 1, etc., and friends who also play on PS4 to all of the sudden drop all of that for Scorpio?

spannicus

While you could potentially be right, I feel like the commoner gamer has bought into the marketing that resolution = power. If Sony can convince them that they aren't missing out because they're 4k too, I don't see too many switching over. Even with Scorpio playing and looking better with multiplats, I think more would care about missing out on exclusive content in the game (in the case of Destiny 2, we'll see about RDR2, Battlefront and whatever other marketing deal Sony snatched up). And with a​ bunch of franchises becoming games-as-a-service model, you also have to worry about where your gaming buddies go if you want to continue having a consistent experience.

True, but as i stated earlier, the xbox players will have more perks compared to a ps4 owner. People tend to go with the place that gives you more for your money. Sure exclusive content plays a part in that as well, but then this comes down to personal preference. I personally would rather have the option to refund easily/ play my older games without having to pay for them again, and have the better performing version all while waiting to snatch that exclusive content for cheap at a later date. You may be the opposite.

True, but as i stated earlier, the xbox players will have more perks compared to a ps4 owner. People tend to go with the place that gives you more for your money. Sure exclusive content plays a part in that as well, but then this comes down to personal preference. I personally would rather have the option to refund easily/ play my older games without having to pay for them again, and have the better performing version all while waiting to snatch that exclusive content for cheap at a later date. You may be the opposite.

There's absolutely no denying that Scorpio offers some great advantages.

Honestly it would be pretty much the perfect box to launch a new generation. But that's not where we're at. That's why all of that will make very little difference to change momentum for now.

It gives me great hope for the next Xbox, though. The one that will compete against PS5.

Thorrgal

You just an xbox fan, man...you like whatever MS sells you

Dynomutt

Marketing rights on games that they'll most likely have inferior versions of. Lol

Hasn't this been the case on PC? Especially if were regarding the "Enthusiast" demographic.

Anecdotal but a lot of people I know who play Destiny and on the Destiny reddit have already stated they will not switch platforms due to established ties, clans, etc. This is regardless of PC or Scorpio.

An established 55 Million to market RDR 2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, and COD WWII is nothing to sneeze at and it's just going to grow.

Hawk269

All talk. This is exactly the best way to establish the precedence that it will be expensive. Then you come out and punch them in the mouth when they least expect it. MS will, can. and, must sell this console fore no more then 399.99 plus tax. I don't care what tech is in there. This console has to be $399.99. You telling me when MS was winning NPD in October they weren't shouting it out?

If Phil comes out and says $499.99 I know the TimDogs will be like. Yay! More please!

Everyone else will be like:
tenor.gif

I can wait.

I don't care who it's for. You think enthusiast were the only ones that bought the elite controller? Vice versa you really think MS only wants to sell a million of these? What type of profit were they expecting at what cost? A million buyers will not grow your eco-system alone especially if they are pre-existing customers with accounts and content who just upgraded boxes.

This seems like a reset for MS. Unlike Sony they are showing it at E3 that alone means they want the attention and buzz. This also show's confidence. If that eco-system is really kicking like that with EA, Game Pass, Play Anywhere, Refunds, and etc. Then price it at $399.99 so the growth and and new fans and come in. Phil can then just C- Walk off the stage.

I really feel it is imperative for MS to price this right. $399.99 is the sweet spot. Anymore then risk not moving units (outside the target) until a price drop and revisions. I've been wrong before.

That has been one school of thought since Phil utter the words "Premium". Build up a belief that it will be expensive ($499+) and then come in at $399 and floor everyone. At the same time, I don't think that even at $399.99 it will outsell a PS4 or Xbox One S that might hit $199.99 or $249.99 with some really good bundles.

I do think that one of the reasons for them to go with a 1tb HDD is because they are trying to offset the cost of the other components. The Xbox One S launched initially as a 2tb model, then later the 500gb/1tb models came out. Perhaps if it does launch at $399.99 there will be a 2tb version or higher as well for $499.99. It is going to be interesting, it is going to be in my opinion one of the big news items from going into E3 and after they announce the price.

Dynomutt

That has been one school of thought since Phil utter the words "Premium". Build up a belief that it will be expensive ($499+) and then come in at $399 and floor everyone. At the same time, I don't think that even at $399.99 it will outsell a PS4 or Xbox One S that might hit $199.99 or $249.99 with some really good bundles.

I do think that one of the reasons for them to go with a 1tb HDD is because they are trying to offset the cost of the other components. The Xbox One S launched initially as a 2tb model, then later the 500gb/1tb models came out. Perhaps if it does launch at $399.99 there will be a 2tb version or higher as well for $499.99. It is going to be interesting, it is going to be in my opinion one of the big news items from going into E3 and after they announce the price.

Agreed good or bad I think Scorpio will win in the news cycle at least for 24 hours.

Hawk269

That is on the premise that most have upgraded to a PRO though. From what we have heard, the PRO is not selling at gangbuster levels. Since Sony has done little to no marketing to the average consumer for the PRO, they would have to go mainstream advertising of the PRO to send such a message and if they do, they cannot honestly say all their stuff or even most of it is 4k...unless they say it is 4k* and in the smallest print mention checkboard 4k. It is a tough position, I think if Sony marketed the PRO like they did the PS4 it would of sold a lot more and they could have more talking points to go up against Scorpio.

With that said, no matter what MS does with Scorpio, it is not going to turn the tides completely to make up the sale differential between them and the PS4 family of devices. I do think that MS is on the right track and they will sell a lot more Scorpios than Sony has PRO's.

Hawk269

Agreed good or bad I think Scorpio will win in the news cycle at least for 24 hours.

I think being how positive and what it brings, it will win the talk of E3 regardless of price..unless of course they only show the Scorpio hardware, price, release date and then Phil says thanks for coming and they show no games at all. lol

I think the bigger news and the more media stuff will be when they have the media interviews where they can sit in front of a 4k set with a Scorpio hooked up and it is in their face. It is one thing to see it on a stream or seeing this stuff from a seat in an arena versus a display on a counter/desk right in front of you. I think that is when the more impactful things will come out and impress people.

Dynomutt

I think being how positive and what it brings, it will win the talk of E3 regardless of price..unless of course they only show the Scorpio hardware, price, release date and then Phil says thanks for coming and they show no games at all. lol

I think the bigger news and the more media stuff will be when they have the media interviews where they can sit in front of a 4k set with a Scorpio hooked up and it is in their face. It is one thing to see it on a stream or seeing this stuff from a seat in an arena versus a display on a counter/desk right in front of you. I think that is when the more impactful things will come out and impress people.

At the same time I mentioned in another thread that Sony has been
quiet. Like Zen quiet...no pun intended.
aa962391601f246f224494298e5f2b97.jpg

Sony has been super quiet with news and really with everything in general. The studio heads have been visible like Druckmann and Hulst. But management has been quiet both Shu and Shawn even Andrew as a matter. What do they have planned....

Same could be said for Nintendo coming off >900K sales for March. This is going to be a Royal Rumble of an E3.

Mikey Jr.

"Finally, I can play my games in TRUE 4k instead of that checkerboard 4k! Let me get my magnifying glass out to show you the differences!"

I question if even you would be able to tell the difference on a tv smaller than 50 inches.

Norse

Show ends with 4k video of Scorpio ready games looking amazing and then a black screen the reads....

Xbone S $199.99
Xbone Scorpio $399.99 1tb
Xbone Scorpio $499.99 2tb w/elite controller

Preorders start tomorrow.

Available worldwide July 4th, 2017

Norse

"Finally, I can play my games in TRUE 4k instead of that checkerboard 4k! Let me get my magnifying glass out to show you the differences!"

I question if even you would be able to tell the difference on a tv smaller than 50 inches.

Has it really ever mattered if you could really notice any difference between games on one system compared to the other? It's all about the hardware specs. I thought everyone already knew that. LoL

Bgamer90

Banned

People said the same about 1080p 3-4 years ago. Man. Deja vu.

On top of this, I don't know of really any TVs that are 4K and less than 50 inches. Probably less than five (out of the 30+) that are available for someone to buy.

Anyway, while some won't see a significant difference, others will. Same was true for the original Xbox One vs. PS4. Others that care more for PS4 console exclusive games will get that system regardless of power.

Rainer70

Has it really ever mattered if you could really notice any difference between games on one system compared to the other? It's all about the hardware specs. I thought everyone already knew that. LoL

It kinda matters. When one console is struggling to hit 900p and the other hitting 1080p, that's noticeable. Checkerboard 4k vs True 4k the common gamer probably wouldn't notice and they'll still think they're playing 4k (because they technically are).

wachie

Show ends with 4k video of Scorpio ready games looking amazing and then a black screen the reads....

Xbone S $199.99

Sold!

meirl

Banned

Xbone S $199.99

Sounds too good to be true. Also 4th july? It will be released "Holiday 2017". 4th july is Not Part of the Holiday season.

Sony

Nintendo
It kinda matters. When one console is struggling to hit 900p and the other hitting 1080p, that's noticeable. Checkerboard 4k vs True 4k the common gamer probably wouldn't notice and they'll still think they're playing 4k (because they technically are).

080zyuod.jpg

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I really enjoyed how they did a rolling reveal for the forum type gamers who follow this stuff, and now they're going to do the flashy reveal for the public at E3. It was way better to have organized delivery of the direction they're taking with Scorpio and have DF and Gamasutra help with the reveal instead of the random leak without the specifics.

E3 should be quite the show. Gonna be on GAF all day, all night. I won't lie.

Kikorin

Honestly I don't see the appeal of Scorpio for casual gamers. Already the Pro looks to me that did really poor compared to the standard and slim PS4 and when Scorpio will be out, you'll can find PS4, X1 and X1s bundle for ridicolous price.

I think Scorpio will have similar appeal of the PS4 pro and sell just to really tech hardcore gamers that care much about specs and 4k.

If they'll have some system sellers that launch "first on Scorpio" or "Only on Scorpio" this E3 things can go different, but I don't think they'll release exclusive games on Scorpio.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I doubt the "common gamer" notices 900p vs 1080p either.

Sony

Nintendo
Honestly I don't see the appeal of Scorpio for casual gamers.

Well, MIcrosoft's messaging has been that Scorpio is designed for the enthousiast gamer, those who know what pixels are etc. So them not appealing to casual gamers is a natural outcome of that. To me however, it's very easy to appeal to the casual gamer: price.

Vol5

There hasn't been a mass migration to Pro so why would it be true of Scorpio? The vast majority of PS4 owners are happy where they are and I suspect the same is true of XO owners.

Rad-

I'm really interested what Scorpio's EU price will be. No way it's going to be 399€ considering Xone was 529€ here in Finland (yep a really stupid price).

Asd202

The thing is with PS4 you get both multiplats and exclusives at a lower price also it's not like PS4 performance of 3rd party games is bad.

Sony

Nintendo
I'm really interested what Scorpio's EU price will be. No way it's going to be 399€ considering Xone was 529€ here in Finland (yep a really stupid price).

Was the 529 with Kinect included? The launch SKU (with Kinect) was 499 in most western European countries.

leeh

Honestly I don't see the appeal of Scorpio for casual gamers. Already the Pro looks to me that did really poor compared to the standard and slim PS4 and when Scorpio will be out, you'll can find PS4, X1 and X1s bundle for ridicolous price.

I think Scorpio will have similar appeal of the PS4 pro and sell just to really tech hardcore gamers that care much about specs and 4k.

If they'll have some system sellers that launch "first on Scorpio" or "Only on Scorpio" this E3 things can go different, but I don't think they'll release exclusive games on Scorpio.
That's fine, cause it isn't marketed towards them. They've marketed it the same as the pro and they expecting similar results. It's not like this thing is suddenly going to dominate console sales.

Dynomutt

That's fine, cause it isn't marketed towards them. They've marketed it the same as the pro and they expecting similar results. It's not like this thing is suddenly going to dominate console sales.

Don't be boogie. Sometime's casual like nicer things too. Jordans, Lexus, and Apple were all once things considered enthusiast/premium. They could all be considered mainstream now. Why price it out of contention?

DBT85

There hasn't been a mass migration to Pro so why would it be true of Scorpio? The vast majority of PS4 owners are happy where they are and I suspect the same is true of XO owners.

Eh, the delta from xbone to Scorpio is more substantial than that from PS4 to Pro, so I can possibly see a higher percentage of Xbone owners buying Scorpio than PS4 owners have Pro.

Dynomutt

Eh, the delta from xbone to Scorpio is more substantial than that from PS4 to Pro, so I can possibly see a higher percentage of Xbone owners buying Scorpio than PS4 owners have Pro.

I think the hardware attachment rate is crazy high for Xbox as well if there is such a thing. I have no number or hard proof but just from forums and talking to people. I be a majority of Scorpio buyers purchased the Xbox One day one traded for a One S and will now trade for a Scorpio. They Most likely own the Elite Controller as well. They're dedicated.

But what is MS's end game here solidify a foot hold? Growth? The pricing game? The PR talk is cool but everyone loves money. It really is all so exciting. E3 will be a spectacle. All we need is OUYA!

By your logic whoever releases the most powerful console wins, so the strategy should be to release a new console every year.

What a simple world.

anothertech

Xbone S $199.99

E3 price reveal is going to be a bloodbath.

1.3tf Xbox one 2tb is still going for $399 gentlemen. In April, 2017. At the same time ps4pro 4.3tf is selling for $399.

They don't give a sht what Sony is doing. There is no way their premium console is selling for less than Xbone launch price which was $499. $599 is even possible.

Nozem

Xbone S $199.99

You'd hope that MS spends more time on Scorpio than just at the end of the show.

Do you question being able to tell 4K textures from regular textures 🤔

Interesting. I suspect that mindshare has swung too far towards Sony to see a reversal any time soon.

i'm inclined to agree.

but it might, at least, start building momentum towards whatever next iteration of consoles come out [like, literally doesn't feel right saying "when the next generation starts" anymore... lol].

mind you, is this reversal of fortunes not, kind of, exactly what happened with ps3 and 360 last gen?

i fell off the face of the gaming map during the last three years of that generation because i was in grad school abroad / in the UK [so, was so fucking poor i had to live off hobnobs and rice].

Top Bottom