• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Setsuna (Square Enix/TRF) confirmed for PS4/Vita in Early 2016, oldstyle JRPG

chrono01

I can't get over how amazing the music is. I still have the website open in a separate tab and it just keeps looping, and I'm loving every second of it.

Dark_castle

Oh, this is what I was talking about earlier in-regard to battle transitions being similar to Chrono Trigger.

As you all know, normally in RPG's when you hit an enemy encounter the screen transitions to a separate battle field where you fight. In Chrono Trigger, when you hit an enemy, instead of taking you to a separate screen you immediately started battle in your current location, leaving the details of the field on-screen. In the below screenshot from the Project Setsuna trailer, it looks like a treasure chest is still visible while fighting, which leads me to believe that same-field enemy battle transition from CT is also incorporated here.

2RlYWvO.jpg

Hopefully that's the case. More JRPG should do away with separate screen for combat.

Not exactly what I was hoping for after the tease at E3, but it's just as good! Sooooo good! I'm loving all of the snow.

First, let's hope this turns out as good as it seems. And second, let's hope Square doesn't disband the studio after one game or something stupid like that, cause this is the type of stuff I miss.

Exentryk

HP, MP, ATB, World Map, Group Attacks, Great Music, Good Story Potential, PS4, Early 2016 Release...

Where is the catch?

Love the snowy setting. Looks like it was originally a handheld game though so I wonder how it'll look on the PS4 on a big TV. And I wonder what the price will be.

HP, MP, ATB, World Map, Group Attacks, Great Music, Good Story Potential, PS4, Early 2016 Release...

Where is the catch?

Square Enix hasn't actually made a full game in this style since Final Fantasy Dimensions. That's 5 years. Also it's a relatively short mobile game. Also Square Enix. But hey I'm willing to give them a shot.

ETA - Forgot FFD.

I'm with everyone else that's getting the Chrono vibe. The overworld, the battles, the cliff scene... Hell even the music. I'm hyped Squeenix, thanks.

Arthea

That trailer was so nice and nostalgic, I really like how it looks and sounds, hopefully it will be a good game too.

Exentryk

I guess localization is the only question mark. Hopefully there's no long delay.

Yeah, hopefully.

Square Enix hasn't actually made a full game in this style since Final Fantasy Dimensions. That's 5 years Also Square Enix. But hey I'm willing to give them a shot.

ETA - Forgot FFD.

Hmm. I'm all for SE making more of these AA titles. It's quicker production time, and fans love the old school elements. Win win.

duckroll

I thought this looked pretty bad. Kinda surprised at the overwhelming praise here. It's basically what I expected the game to be - a lower budget oldschool sort of RPG like Bravely Default, but I really disliked the footage they showed. The 3D graphics looked uninspired, the world map felt really cheaply put together, and there wasn't much of the great artwork being represented in the actual game graphics. The battles look kinda iffy in terms of presentation too. There's no question that the artwork and music is pretty good, but the actual implementation of the game so far doesn't seem promising to me. I think they can do much better if they're going for nostalgia and they're working on the Vita and PS4. :/

I thought this looked pretty bad. Kinda surprised at the overwhelming praise here. It's basically what I expected the game to be - a lower budget oldschool sort of RPG like Bravely Default, but I really disliked the footage they showed. The 3D graphics looked uninspired, the world map felt really cheaply put together, and there wasn't much of the great artwork being represented in the actual game graphics. The battles look kinda iffy in terms of presentation too. There's no question that the artwork and music is pretty good, but the actual implementation of the game so far doesn't seem promising to me. I think they can do much better if they're going for nostalgia and they're working on the Vita and PS4. :/

I think people are just happy to see a old school JRPG from SE. They've been showing off lots of action RPGs lately.

Rion

There are still much to know about this game, but for a low budget old school RPG, it feels pretty good so far. Graphic is the least concern I have for a JRPG.

Exentryk

I agree it can look better, but I am not too fussed about the looks. Just glad that an old school JRPG is coming to the home console.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This looks really cool. I don't know what it is really, but I'm already highly anticipating it.

This is kind of how I feel about World of Final Fantasy... I'm sure the excitement around this title will largely depend on the characters, story and battle system. And the music, that sweet, sweet music.

Dark_castle

Not gonna lie, the footage isn't exactly the most hype inducing around I think. The game clearly is going to be of a small production and I do agree that the environment feels pretty bland. But I'm just happy that it's a turn-based JRPG on console, no chibi character models and old school fantasy setting.

I wished they went with prerendered background though. That would really make bloody excited.

Looks really pretty, and definitely hits the nostalgia button. Folks complaining about the graphics or turn based should just get off the bus now and save themselves the pain. SE has been very straightforward on what this is - an old school homage with old school gameplay.

SoraNoKuni

Hell yeah, VITA!
Well, it doesn't seem like a game that couldn't work on Vita, especially in Japan it will sell very well I assume.

orioto

Good Art™

Knowing the SE of late maybe it started as a phone project.. Also i'm sorry but it's time to kill the Vita now, it's stopping jap games to really embrace next gen!

Now that little forest moment in the trailer looks great. There is a Bravely default art style to it with 2D painterly looking trees.

duckroll

Looks really pretty, and definitely hits the nostalgia button. Folks complaining about the graphics or turn based should just get off the bus now and save themselves the pain. SE has been very straightforward on what this is - an old school homage with old school gameplay.

It doesn't look like a good old school homage to me though. It just looks like any other RPG out there with a top down perspective and 3D assets. The artwork they showed previously was great, the art direction in the actual footage looks plain and boring. Nothing really stands out. It's not like turn based RPGs of this sort aren't even made anymore, there are tons of them on 3DS and Vita coming out every other month.

Rpgmonkey

I'll agree with this.

I'm normally ok with this kind of visual style, but it looks bland if not outright unpleasant in this.

Durante

I like that the gameplay looks to be taking a lot of hints from Chrono Trigger, and unlike the posters above I also like the art style.

Technically, I don't get why there is plainly visible aliasing on the 1080p shots. Those are clearly from PS4, and they should be able to render this thing with 4xAA at the very least. (This is one reason I like PC releases: you can generally fix the IQ in cases where the developers apparently don't care)

It doesn't look like a good old school homage to me though. It just looks like any other RPG out there with a top down perspective and 3D assets. The artwork they showed previously was great, the art direction in the actual footage looks plain and boring. Nothing really stands out. It's not like turn based RPGs of this sort aren't even made anymore, there are tons of them on 3DS and Vita coming out every other month.

Like what? I can't think of a single quality title in this vein on either of those platforms since Bravely Default. The only RPGs I see crop up on Vita each month seem to be fanservice-filled dungeon crawlers, and I don't remember the last new RPG on 3DS.

Oregano

Like what? I can't think of a single quality title in this vein on either of those platforms since Bravely Default. The only RPGs I see crop up on Vita each month seem to be fanservice-filled dungeon crawlers, and I don't remember the last new RPG on 3DS.

The Legend of Legacy is a recent one off the top of my head.

The only thing Project Setsuna has going for it is that it's on the PS4.

duckroll

Well I'm picking up Legend of Legacy next month. It came out in Japan earlier this year. Bravely Second came out this year too. Maybe that's why I just don't feel particularly excited when I see this. Considering how good their pre-production artwork was, I think they should definitely have gone for high resolution pre-rendered backgrounds or painted backgrounds to take full advantage of the PS4 and Vita specs.

Well I'm picking up Legend of Legacy next month. It came out in Japan earlier this year. Bravely Second came out this year too. Maybe that's why I just don't feel particularly excited when I see this. Considering how good their pre-production artwork was, I think they should definitely have gone for high resolution pre-rendered backgrounds or painted backgrounds to take full advantage of the PS4 and Vita specs.

Yes, I would have liked that too. But this still struck a chord for me that LoL doesn't, and certainly all the anime dungeon crawlers on 3DS don't. Something about sprite proportions, layered weather effects, the music. It just shot me back to sitting on my bed as a teenager, playing Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. Will it deliver interesting story and battle system? Who knows. But if it does I'll certainly get by without painted backgrounds.

AnGer

I so want this. Probably my favourite announcement of the day alongside the new Gundam Extreme Vs. and Gravity Daze.

Looks good. Is this going to be a small digital release only or a full physical retail title? Would be interested in picking it up on Vita, but would like it physically.

Usobuko

Banned
It's not by much but I prefer these character facial designs than the more common ones in JRPGs. At least it's a little distinguishable.

Shin Megami Tensei IV, for example, is a good example of an old-school handheld RPG (turn-based, worldmap). The Legend of Legacy is out next month on 3DS too and is quite old-school (though less linear plot-wise). Those two do not contain substantial fanservice.

injurai

Banned
I'm getting 4 Heroes of Light vibes.

I also swear I heard "Fainaru Fantajī" so are they likening it or is it a spin-off?

Top Bottom