• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Setsuna (Square Enix/TRF) confirmed for PS4/Vita in Early 2016, oldstyle JRPG

I thought this looked pretty bad. Kinda surprised at the overwhelming praise here. It's basically what I expected the game to be - a lower budget oldschool sort of RPG like Bravely Default, but I really disliked the footage they showed. The 3D graphics looked uninspired, the world map felt really cheaply put together, and there wasn't much of the great artwork being represented in the actual game graphics. The battles look kinda iffy in terms of presentation too. There's no question that the artwork and music is pretty good, but the actual implementation of the game so far doesn't seem promising to me. I think they can do much better if they're going for nostalgia and they're working on the Vita and PS4. :/

I agree that this isn't a promising showing so far. I mean, we haven't seen too much of the gameplay yet so it's impossible to make a full judgement, but the overall presentation doesn't inspire confidence. Somehow I am reminded of Chaos Rings, which is a Square-Enix "old school" turn-based RPG, but which is also bad, with repetitive and dull game design, sparse content, and undercooked mechanics. I don't think Setsuna will turn out to be that bad, but I'm not convinced it'll be much better. Pandering to nostalgia does not automatically make for a good game.

I think people are just happy to see a old school JRPG from SE. They've been showing off lots of action RPGs lately.

You want a turn-based RPG from Square-Enix that actually looks good, you turn to Dragon Quest XI.

SaGa SG isn't going to be an action RPG!

Do we know that for sure yet? Do we truly know anything about the game except some character concept art?

Looks rather early, or perhaps much lower budget than I anticipated. I will probably need to see more of it until I can get a better grasp of what it's like, but I can't say it looked particularly interesting at the moment.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm very disappointed with this. When they said old style, I thought they meant something like Ni no Kuni, not a mobile game.

Arkeband

Banned
Oh man.

They clearly went for design choices to mirror Chrono Trigger, that's obvious.

What if this is a side-story in that universe and they M. Night Shamalamadingdong us and this is a set up for the next Chrono game? The timing would be right if it were to follow main entries in the KH, DQ, and FF series (and probably post-FF7)

I'm all in, baby. Conspiracy theory levels at maximum.

Chrono_Trigger_Crono_Back.png

xlom3000

This game feels Chrono as fuck.

Are we sure this isn't some distant side game?

Holy crap yes, that is exactly what I thought from just the screenshot alone, multiplied ten fold after watching the video. It was like SE took the old CT engine and made a new game from it, similar to what that FF dimensions game did for FF a few years ago.

Also LOVE your Mana avatar :D Do you have a link to the full image?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Bravely Deafult 2.0, in a good way. Interest piqued for sure.

I am breathing very very heavily right now. Is it possible that it's purposefully a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger or even a sequel of sorts? This is serious fucking business. I know it's not a straight up new Chrono announcement, but... it's close enough to send me into a lovely panic.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I am breathing very very heavily right now. Is it possible that it's purposefully a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger or even a sequel of sorts? This is serious fucking business. I know it's not a straight up new Chrono announcement, but... it's close enough to send me into a lovely panic.

This game looks cool. I want SE to do more like this.

This game looks cool. I want SE to do more like this.

I just listened to that piano track (I watched the trailer silently) and like I don't know this might be my most anticipated shit right now by a long shot, and I would say that piano track is pretty reminiscent of Chrono music.

wmlk

I just listened to that piano track (I watched the trailer silently) and like I don't know this might be my most anticipated shit right now by a long shot, and I would say that piano track is pretty reminiscent of Chrono music.

Eh, I dunno. CT and CC had very similar sounding themes and CC even had the main theme thrown in there for multiple tracks. This looks like it's inspired by CT but nothing about the music right now screams Mitsuda.

Eh, I dunno. CT and CC had very similar sounding themes and CC even had the main theme thrown in there for multiple tracks. This looks like it's inspired by CT but nothing about the music right now screams Mitsuda.

I don't know that it screams Mitsuda and I never said it did, but it vaguely reminds me of some of the piano cues in the Chrono games. It isn't super close but if you told me it was a Mitsuda track I would believe you.

Jeels

Wow, that looks pretty good. And coming out relatively soon.

Glad they are able to do something quickly and at a low budget.

Instro

Art didn't translate very well to screen. Is this a Unity game? It looks like one. Aliasing in the screenshots is weird too. Otherwise I think it looks pretty cool, albeit a bit undercooked. Although i suppose that makes sense given the short turn around time on this. Seeing some CT influence there which is nice.

what the hell even happened to Mitsuda?

He was supposed to be the sent-from-Heaven-chosen-one-musical-Jesus H Christ-to change-the-world in the hearts and minds of fans circa mid-late '90s.

Did he meet a similar fate to Seiken Densetsu's Kikuta, i.e. mobile hentai game music?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
what the hell even happened to Mitsuda?

He was supposed to be the sent-from-Heaven-chosen-one-musical-Jesus H Christ-to change-the-world in the hearts and minds of fans circa mid-late '90s.

He did. He did that. He succeeded. And then he, like, I dunno, pseudo-died or something.

We're all waiting for his pseudo-resurrection, I guess.

cerulily

Day 1.

... It's good to see you again, Square Enix. Evoking memories and feelings I haven't felt since the PS1 days.

Yeah i am getting a bit of this as well. This game is feeling really nostalgic and i am positive that is what they were going for.

Qvoth

so the story is set in an island where there's a long tradition of sacrificing once every 10 years to reduce monster casualties
but with rapidly increasing casualties the islanders decide to break the rule and send another sacrifice, setsuna, an 18 years old girl with extremely high magical powers
towards the "ends of the world" where the sacrifice will happen, setsuna travels with her companion guards

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
so the story is set in an island where there's a long tradition of sacrificing once every 10 years to reduce monster casualties
but with rapidly increasing casualties the islanders decide to break the rule and send another sacrifice, setsuna, an 18 years old girl with extremely high magical powers
towards the "ends of the land" where the sacrifice will happen, setsuna travels with her companion guards

Thank you!

Top Bottom