• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Setsuna (Square Enix/TRF) confirmed for PS4/Vita in Early 2016, oldstyle JRPG

what the hell even happened to Mitsuda?

He was supposed to be the sent-from-Heaven-chosen-one-musical-Jesus H Christ-to change-the-world in the hearts and minds of fans circa mid-late '90s.

Did he meet a similar fate to Seiken Densetsu's Kikuta, i.e. mobile hentai game music?

He's working on the Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross arranged album, like, right now.

More generally I think he sorta slowed down his pace after he went freelance. Before that, he was a workaholic who constantly got hospitalized due to lack of sleep and working to exhaustion. He even literally shat blood during development of Front Mission: Gun Hazard. After he went freelance he quit smoking and now tends to work on smaller projects.

so the story is set in an island where there's a long tradition of sacrificing once every 10 years to reduce monster casualties
but with rapidly increasing casualties the islanders decide to break the rule and send another sacrifice, setsuna, an 18 years old girl with extremely high magical powers
towards the "ends of the world" where the sacrifice will happen, setsuna travels with her companion guards

...into the future, to find Schala, who can help them.

mao2

so the story is set in an island where there's a long tradition of sacrificing once every 10 years to reduce monster casualties
but with rapidly increasing casualties the islanders decide to break the rule and send another sacrifice, setsuna, an 18 years old girl with extremely high magical powers
towards the "ends of the world" where the sacrifice will happen, setsuna travels with her companion guards
Thanks for the translation. Seems interesting and kinda reminds me of Final Fantasy X.

duckroll

Do we know that for sure yet? Do we truly know anything about the game except some character concept art?

I think when Kawazu was interviewed about the game after it was announced, he said definitively that it was "a normal RPG" or something like that. Anyway, I'm pretty confident it will be a proper SaGa game. Considering what management seems to think of the franchise though, the budget might be low!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Rad.

And it's nice to see a more old-school approach to RPGs come to a console for once. Sick of that shit being relegated to handhelds.

I know the theme is snow related, but I really hope the setting isn't all revolved around icy locales.

Snow settings in RPG's are always the most beautiful and nostalgic to me, especially with the type of music they typically inspire the composers to write, so I'd have no problem with it. However, it's an RPG so I'm pretty sure there'll be far more locations.

Thanks for the translation. Seems interesting and kinda reminds me of Final Fantasy X.

I like that it had simpler easy to understand premise. unlike FF X which overcomplicates everything with names, terms and lore that just left you confused at first. it even throw in some time travel stuff with Tidus being from another time that you only found out what he is in the second half of the game. this seems like a bit of a trend for FF lately especially FF13 with L'cie, Falcie, Cocoon etc. the world try to be unique and different, but it end up needing a lot of exposition just to explain the lore to the player.

Setsuna can still be a mess in the same way I guess, but I'm hoping that the lore is just that simple so they can focus on the actual plot and characters to be good.

wmlk

I know the theme is snow related, but I really hope the setting isn't all revolved around icy locales.

I feel like the snow is giving it too plain of a look. It's lacking in detail.

Since time travel seems to be a theme, I hope that we can change the seasons or whatever. One of the concept art shows Fall-like colours with snow, so it might have some sort of mechanic like that.

He's working on the Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross arranged album, like, right now.

More generally I think he sorta slowed down his pace after he went freelance. Before that, he was a workaholic who constantly got hospitalized due to lack of sleep and working to exhaustion. He even literally shat blood during development of Front Mission: Gun Hazard. After he went freelance he quit smoking and now tends to work on smaller projects.

Oh shit! I didn't know this. Awesome.

I feel like the snow is giving it too plain of a look. It's lacking in detail.

Since time travel seems to be a theme, I hope that we can change the seasons or whatever. One of the concept art shows Fall-like colours with snow, so it might have some sort of mechanic like that.

time travel is a theme? where did it say that?

People want to believe in SE again. They shouldn't, but they want to so deeply.

I think it's mainly that we're seeing elements from classic RPG's that many of us have been wanting for a while and some things about it definitely feel inspired by Chrono Trigger. Nobody is naive enough to think it's a Chrono game and my posts have been primarily in jest, but it's nice to discuss, speculate, whatever. The game looks fantastic and reminiscent of SNES/PS1 era Square and I think that's the main takeaway here.

Looks promising. Character art is rather generic, like they're class-based archetypes instead of developed people.

Also not seeing any compelling visual link to the Chrono series.

Rad-

I'm disappointed. For some reason I was expecting Project Setsuna to be their new big JRPG series.

Oh well. Still looking forward to it though as I'm thirsty for new RPGs.

Garlador

People want to believe in SE again. They shouldn't, but they want to so deeply.

Well, can't speak for everyone, but between Final Fantasy XIV, FFXV, Type-0, Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragon Quest VIII (and XI), Nier 2, and this game, Square's better than they've been in ages.

Durante

Lol this is so not Chrono Trigger at all in term of art direction and mood... Let's not say random things.
It seems very Chrono Trigger in terms of mechanics though.

(And I for one am happy that it's not CT in terms of art direction, but I often feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't like Toriyama's character art)

Thanks for the translation. Sounds simple which is actually positive after the complicated and non-sense stories of XIII series.

(And I for one am happy that it's not CT in terms of art direction, but I often feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't like Toriyama's character art)

I don't really love it either but it's part of my favorite game of all time so I obviously don't mind it :p

The art here looks really good.

AnGer

I'm disappointed. For some reason I was expecting Project Setsuna to be their new big JRPG series.

Why would you? Heck, why would anyone? This is a project by a new (and to some extent also external) team with not a lot of funding behind their first game (which makes sense from a business perspective). It looks damn good for that.

Also... please. No more "big series" talk. Not every game needs a successor that desperately.

Kyuur

Lol this is so not Chrono Trigger at all in term of art direction and mood... Let's not say random things.

I mean, that's why I said spiritual. System wise it definitely looks like it, from the battle system to the world map traversal. Art style (I'm guessing you mean the environment and overall world design because the character art is clearly different, given its a different artist altogether) and mood-wise, we've seen a small 30 second clip, so I think I'll hold my judgement.

Arkeband

Banned
It seems very Chrono Trigger in terms of mechanics though.

Chrono Cross didn't use Toriyama, so he's not essential to the Chrono series like he is to DQ.

orioto

Good Art™
I mean, that's why I said spiritual. System wise it definitely looks like it, from the battle system to the world map traversal. Art style (I'm guessing you mean the environment and overall world design because the character art is clearly different, given its a different artist altogether) and mood-wise, we've seen a small 30 second clip, so I think I'll hold my judgement.

But i think the spirit of Chrono Trigger is more in it's tone, chara design, music :) And we're super far from that. i'd like to be excited for this kind od "old school" effort but i don't know.. It's probably cause that style of representation and cute piano music makes me think more about korean mmo rpg, cheap niche j-rpg with a shade of flirting sim.. What has became jrpg in the last 10 years... Rather than the 90's jrpg everyone is talking about.

But still i'll follow that one!

Rad-

Why would you? Heck, why would anyone? This is a project by a new (and to some extent also external) team with not a lot of funding behind their first game (which makes sense from a business perspective). It looks damn good for that.

Also... please. No more "big series" talk. Not every game needs a successor that desperately.

The way they announced it at E3 made it sound like it was going to be their new try at FF/Chrono/DQ/etc. I guess I expected too much but like I said, I'll still follow this.

Fbh

Looks great. I hope we see more classic style, lower budget jrpg's on consoles.

The guy using some over the top special attack to kill a cute penguin was kinda ridiculous though

Top Bottom