• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Event at Brazil Games Show | Stream begins in 2 hours

Skeff

I did! please tell me :eek:

Basically they said sorry and they will fix it as soon as they can, No definite info, but they are aware of it and are trying to fix it.

my speculation: they are looking through legal information about what constitutes "made i Brazil" and seeing how fast they can get some PS4's "made in Brazil"

From what I read, too much Salt.

Elchele

Basically they said sorry and they will fix it as soon as they can, No definite info, but they are aware of it and are trying to fix it.

my speculation: they are looking through legal information about what constitutes "made i Brazil" and seeing how fast they can get some PS4's "made in Brazil"

Thanks. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm new here in Argentina, but if the console is built in Brazil (or any MERCOSUR country) the price should go down for the whole region right?

EvB

man keeps it cool wherever he is
5202189967_75ffe95780_b.jpg

Throughout history, translator san has been spotted observing and translating the events that follow.

2012 : GAME go into administration

1963 :
do3e.gif

For some reason I was hoping translator-san would translate into Portugese and then the translator on the English stream would translate that into English.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm new here in Argentina, but if the console is built in Brazil (or any MERCOSUR country) the price should go down for the whole region right?

I think it's due to Brazil import taxes. Not sure if that would affect the rest of the region though.

Metra

I liked the conference. It shows how far we, brazilians, have come in the gaming industry scenario. Of course, nothing really new was shown to most of you; but the fact that they made a conference here, that all major titles are being localised, that brazilian PS+ is a reality and that they're supporting our devs, is very important to us.

Sony's (and MS) efforts to bring their new console to Brazil - despite our absurd taxes - shows the huge potential that our market has. That said, I truly believe that - If brazilian gamers and the gaming industry keep pushing, together - our tax issue will eventually be solved.

Elchele

Sony's (and MS) efforts to bring their new console to Brazil - despite our absurd taxes - shows the huge potential that our market has. That said, I truly believe that - If brazilian gamers and the gaming industry keep pushing, together - our tax issue will eventually be solved.

I think the current model is better: force them to make the consoles in Brazil. That way the company opens up jobs and gets much more involved in the local market

wow

Elchele

You're joking, right?

Right...?

Nope, why would I be joking? It's always better to have them building the console in your own country. The price goes down, they are directly involved in the local market and open jobs for locals. Win-win situation. Of course reducing the taxes a bit more for consoles built in Brazil would be great.

Metra

Nope, why would I be joking? It's always better to have them building the console in your own country. The price goes down, they are directly involved in the local market and open jobs for locals. Win-win situation. Of course reducing the taxes a bit more for consoles built in Brazil would be great.

So, you're saying that the "current model" (your own words, from the previous post) is good, because absurd taxes forces Sony and MS to assemble consoles here, correct?

If that's what you mean, it's not a win-win situation. Not by a looooong shot. With all due respect, your reasoning is flawed. Crazy taxes are a problem to the industry and to the gamer; not a reason to invest in a country. Sony and MS are investing in Brazil (by assembling consoles here) because the market (mercosul, not only Brazil) has great potential, despite our outrageous taxes. If that wasn't the case, they would never invest here, even if we had 0% tax. The only reason that could remotely justify those abusive taxes, would be to protect the national videogame industry. But we have no such thing.

In other words, market potential is the reason for these companies to invest in Brazil; not the crazy taxes. And, most importantly, fair taxes won't drive Sony and MS away. It will motivate them to invest even more. And I'll tell you this: if this happens, I bet that we'll be head to head with the US, regarding market strength.

Elchele

So, you're saying that the "current model" (your own words, from the previous post) is good, because absurd taxes forces Sony and MS to assemble consoles here, correct?

If that's what you mean, it's not a win-win situation. Not by a looooong shot. With all due respect, your reasoning is flawed. Crazy taxes are a problem to the industry and to the gamer; not a reason to invest in a country. Sony and MS are investing in Brazil (by assembling consoles here) because the market (mercosul, not only Brazil) has great potential, despite our outrageous taxes. If that wasn't the case, they would never invest here, even if we had 0% tax. The only reason that could remotely justify those abusive taxes, would be to protect the national videogame industry. But we have no such thing.

In other words, market potential is the reason for these companies to invest in Brazil; not the crazy taxes. And, most importantly, fair taxes won't drive Sony and MS away. It will motivate them to invest even more. And I'll tell you this: if this happens, I bet that we'll be head to head with the US, regarding market strenght.

High import taxes are the only reason why they're building consoles in Brazil. In Argentina they blocked imported cellphones, and now almost 100% of the cellphones sold in Argentina are made in Argentina... that created a lot of jobs, and cheaper phones.

If there weren't any taxes, or were relaxed like in most of the world, then they would simply import the consoles from China and that's it.

Protectionism is great for our economies. Liberalism doesn't help the country at all, it would only make the consoles cheaper but without creating so many jobs.

If you're from Brazil, I don't see how you could be against it. Having MS and Sony manufacturing the consoles in your country is huge.

Well that sure was better than TGS at least.

Great to see them tackle that price issue head on. Obviously not from Brazil but read the stories and its refreshing to see a games company take the no BS approach instead of the spin / spin / spin approach.

Senna connection GT is cool. Might actually get GT6 because of it. Was on the fence about that game. Shame we got no real details or a screenshot of a car or something.

allansm

High import taxes are the only reason why they're building consoles in Brazil. In Argentina they blocked imported cellphones, and now almost 100% of the cellphones sold in Argentina are made in Argentina... that created a lot of jobs, and cheaper phones.

If there weren't any taxes, or were relaxed like in most of the world, then they would simply import the consoles from China and that's it.

Protectionism is great for our economies. Liberalism doesn't help the country at all, it would only make the consoles cheaper but without creating so many jobs.

If you're from Brazil, I don't see how you could be against it. Having MS and Sony manufacturing the consoles in your country is huge.

I agree completely. Maintain the high taxes for imported goods and lower them for consoles assembled or manufactured here. The largest the percentage of components manufactured in Brazil, the lower the taxes should be.

In other words, market potential is the reason for these companies to invest in Brazil; not the crazy taxes. And, most importantly, fair taxes won't drive Sony and MS away. It will motivate them to invest even more. And I'll tell you this: if this happens, I bet that we'll be head to head with the US, regarding market strength.

If it wasn't for the importation taxes, Brazil would be even more dependent on commodities exportation than it is now. It is impossible to compete fairly with the Chinese Industry, we (and latin america too) need importation taxes to be able to compete. Unless you want factory workers to live in poverty with wages even lower than they are now.

Metra

Yes, I am brazilian. And I also can't believe that you're defending our absurd taxes.

No. First, we don't have "high" taxes. We have "crazy-ass, wacko, absurd" taxes; in Brazil, consoles are classified as "gambling machines". Second, high taxes are not the reason why Sony and MS are investing in Brazil; market strength and potential, those are the reasons.

What are you talking about? Brazil does not have a national videogame industry. Your claim doesn't make sense; It's out of context.

I'm not against MS and Sony manufacturing the consoles in our (my) country. I'm saying that fair taxes won't drive them away. It'll motivate them to invest even more: fair price = more sales = more production = more jobs. Crazy tax = 4k PS4s and 2,2k X1s = very few sales = less production = less jobs = being forced to import consoles and games = resorting to piracy and gray market = everybody loses.

Metra

If it wasn't for the importation taxes, Brazil would be even more dependent on commodities exportation than it is now. It is impossible to compete fairly with the Chinese Industry, we (and latin america too) need importation taxes to be able to compete. Unless you want factory workers to live in poverty with wages even lower than they are now.

Again, you're taking my argument completely out of context. I'm talking about videogames taxes. Not "general taxes".

A lot of my Brazilian friends they only buy consoles from the grey market. I'm curious if anyone local roughly knows what % of the console sales are grey vs official.

allansm

I'm not against MS and Sony manufacturing the consoles in our (my) country. I'm saying that fair taxes won't drive them away. It'll motivate them to invest even more: fair price = more sales = more production = more jobs. Crazy tax = 4k PS4s and 2,2k X1s = very few sales = less production = less jobs = being forced to import consoles and games = resorting to piracy and gray market = everybody loses.

I think you didn't understand what Jupp meant. He is saying the same thing I am: importation taxes should be high, crazy tax level high. However, if the consoles are manufactured (or at least assembled) in Brazil the taxes should be lower, nobody disagrees with this.

Make sure to note only hardware sales in $ from January to August 2013 were higher:

gfkbrazileuropelatiny2murx.jpg
Man.... -39,8% negative growth for the Portuguese market. And I remember reading some articles just a few years ago about how the market growing more than in most European countries and was becoming increasingly more relevant. This recession and increased taxes are going for way too long...

Metra

I think you didn't understand what Jupp meant. He is saying the same thing I am: importation taxes should be high, crazy tax level high. However, if the consoles are manufactured (or at least assembled) in Brazil the taxes should be lower, nobody disagrees with this.

Oh, I understand what he meant. I just completely disagree with both of you. Importation taxes - for videogames - should not be this absurd, regardless of consoles being assembled here or not. Your reasoning is utterly flawed, and I already told you why in my previous posts. You're going completely out of context to justify Brazil's absurd tax. And it doesn't make any sense. One does not need to be an economist - only mildly reasonable - to see it.

What is sad, is that we (assuming that you're brazilian) have been literally robbed by corrupt and incompetent politicians for all these years, and people still try to get around it. I never thought that I'd meet someone who actually defends brazilian wacko taxes for videogames. Unbelievable.

allansm

What is sad, is that we (assuming that you're brazilian) have been literally robbed by corrupt and incompetent politicians for all these years, and people still try to get around it. I never thought that I'd meet someone who actually defends brazilian wacko taxes for videogames. Unbelievable.

I think corruption is a big problem like everyone else, but you shouldn't be under the illusion that the money "lost" due to corruption is enough to fix Brazil's many problems, far from it. A thing to think about: corruption being so a widespread problem tells us much about the Brazilian society. Politicians are not beings from another world that suddenly arrive in Brazil to rob the people, they grew up on our society, among our people. They share their values and way of thinking with us. It might be that you and me think different, but how many out there are proud of the so called "jeitinho brasileiro"? How many out there proudly disobey reasonable laws, like don't drink and drive, and think they are right? Besides, politicians are elected. It's the same people being robbed that gave them their offices. In my opinion, Brazilians should, instead of shouting "corruption!" every time they want to criticize the government, think about who they voted for in the past election and what we could change in our society so that known corrupts are not elected again.

Another thing: taxes were not created by a greedy government solely to rob you. Different from what many people think, there usually is a good reason behind the creation of a tax. The problem is that the economical situation of a country changes with time, and a tax that might have been beneficial or reasonable in the past is not so now, and the government, both the federal and state, is averse to abolish taxes even in this situation.

About videogame taxes, again, you showed that you don't understand what I defend. I defend importation taxes, not the "gambling machine" taxes that applies to both games imported or manufactured in Brazil.

Metra

About videogame taxes, again, you showed that you don't understand what I defend. I defend importation taxes, not the "gambling machine" taxes that applies to both games imported or manufactured in Brazil.

Yeah, I really don't. You must be a politics and economics genius, or something. Your arguments are very refined, to make any sense to me. So, I'll just:

*Smile, nod and walk away slowly*

Edit:
Oh, and I'll just leave this here, just in case:

*Runs*

allansm

Yeah, I really don't. You must be a politics and economics genius, or something. Your arguments are very refined, to make any sense to me. So, I'll just:

*Smile, nod and walk away slowly*

Edit:
Oh, and I'll just leave this here, just in case:

*Runs*

In many threads people were saying that a 60% import tax was crazy high. I'm talking about a tax at this level. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough (no offense meant).

Top Bottom