• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita OS Thread: Beautiful Chaos

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DJmizuhara said:
Hey guys, I bare bad news.

If you remember back to last week I said that I was told by a Sony employee at TGS that the VITA would support multiple accounts. When I've just been informed that this isn't the case. It's exactly the same as then PSP account system.

This news makes me sad as I really wanted to both my US & Japanese accounts on my Vita When it's released on December 17th. But it does mean I'll no longer get my trophies messed up because I was logged into the wrong account., so it looks like I'll be playing mainly on my Japanese account.

Don't shoot the messenger! :/ _| ̄|○
I told you all it was too good to be true.

I'm so fucking happy about proper cross-game invites, custom soundtracks, party-room/cross-game chat and multi-tasking in general!

I wonder if we'll be able to use the Vita to create voice chat party rooms with friends while playing a multiplayer-game on PS3.

It would require you to sign into PSN twice... What do you think GAF?

gimmmick

Great thread OP. I don't game a lot, but I will be buying this at launch. Vita might possibly be the best bang for your buck from a launch system in recent memory, can't wait to play all the ps3 exclusives I missed out this generation.

Demathe

Neo Member
DJmizuhara said:
If you remember back to last week I said that I was told by a Sony employee at TGS that the VITA would support multiple accounts. When I've just been informed that this isn't the case. It's exactly the same as then PSP account system.

I swear Sony is doing this so they can sell more 3G model Vita's :p
I was planning on going for a wifi one, but now I'm going 3G so I can switch accounts anywhere without the need for wifi. Not happy about it, but Sony's doing so many other things right with Vita so I'm okay with this

Blizzje said:
Also, any dutch GAFers going to import it?

Dutchie here, but not gonna import. Did that with the PSP back at JPN launch at it cost me like €600 (high mark up, shipping, import duties).
Was totally worth it though and the Vita is totally worth that price too, ever since playing it at Gamescom I can't wait to own one.
But with the ridiculous amount of awesome game releases these upcoming months I've decided to wait.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Demathe said:
I swear Sony is doing this so they can sell more 3G model Vita's :p
I was planning on going for a wifi one, but now I'm going 3G so I can switch accounts anywhere without the need for wifi. Not happy about it, but Sony's doing so many other things right with Vita so I'm okay with this

t.

Will it even let you store games from two accounts at the same time? I didn't think you could just sign in on the PSP and instantly play the other account's games, seem to remember it being more of a PITA than that.

I can't remember what I have on my US PSN account Vs UK one, but most of my free PSP games from my aborted PSPgo phase are UK. So I'll probably stick with that account, but buy occasional import physical carts. Shame because most of my trophies and friends are on my US PSN account..

any news on how physical carts interact with PSN accounts? If its region free then it should be no issue being logged into a UK/US PSN account but playing a JPN cart?

Demathe

Neo Member
mrklaw said:
Will it even let you store games from two accounts at the same time?

If I remember correctly, on PSP you could do that. I had games from my US and EUR accounts on there, all I had to do was switch accounts. So I didn't have to remove/add games from different accounts each time.

Darkone

I would like to see sequel to games like Streets of rage, Bad dudes, Sunset Riders and etc`.
they will be great for the Vita with Co op play threw PSN.

Sintoid

Demathe said:
If I remember correctly, on PSP you could do that. I had games from my US and EUR accounts on there, all I had to do was switch accounts. So I didn't have to remove/add games from different accounts each time.

You can switch accounts via PS3 but you can't play games from different accounts.
Play euro games
Download US games via PS3
Transfer PSP games via PS3
Play US games

if you now try to play euro games you can't, you have to link again PSP to euro account

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DJmizuhara said:

This news makes me sad as I really wanted to both my US & Japanese accounts on my Vita When it's released on December 17th. But it does mean I'll no longer get my trophies messed up because I was logged into the wrong account., so it looks like I'll be playing mainly on my Japanese account.

thanks for the update.

editing the OP. thats a bummer, but not a game changer for me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wouldn't mind so much switching if different accounts could play any content, ala PS3.

Oh well. It's not a major deal, I guess my eu/jpn accounts will get a lot more playtime now. (As a euro, my default account ended up being a US one, but whatevers). Better start filling their friends lists :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's a teeny-tiny video here of someone messing about with the main OS layer from what I guess is a TGS demo unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9NlcvTwCPI

Not really much there but you can see some of the work-in-progress live areas for some games, and the transitions (e.g. when they select the uncharted icon, it kind of flips up and then presents the live area).

DJmizuhara said:

Ah, shit. Hey, maybe this means Sony are unifying their stores for the Vita and we can just gift games across regions...
Haha :(

I guess Sony had to fuck up the PSN on it somehow. I'm not sure why after all the other things they've fixed, this is the one stupid thing they're keeping. Someone complain to Yoshida on twitter and ask if they can patch it in. He's our last hope.

iceatcs

DJmizuhara said:

Good news. Vita is so unborrowable with of those trophies support.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
gofreak said:
There's a teeny-tiny video here of someone messing about with the main OS layer from what I guess is a TGS demo unit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9NlcvTwCPI

Not really much there but you can see some of the work-in-progress live areas for some games, and the transitions (e.g. when they select the uncharted icon, it kind of flips up and then presents the live area).
Nice catch, I caught something in a old related video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvB2316nQ4E&feature=related

Pause at 6 seconds. Comics confirmed? And what is Broken?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Good eye again. Interesting game play. Detective game might be right up your alley. :p

I remember reading about Comics in the FAQ, I guess I'm just surprised I never noticed it's icon in the showings so far. I'm sure it will make it to Vita. They said the same thing about skype before they announced it. (and flash/PDF's)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i wish theyd let you switch regions or.merge usernames. I started with a US account which has all my friends and trophies, but most recent purchases are my UK account, which has no friends or trophies..

Number45

Callibretto said:
after thinking about it for a while, I think the downside is that you can't play imported psn games for your main account trophies etc? ps3 is great, I can buy games from whatever store and play the game on my main account, which give me trophies for my main account.

I take it this is no longer the case with vita?
That's already more trophy whoring possibilities than you get with the PSP, right?

Bad_Boy said:
Good eye again. Interesting game play. Detective game might be right up your alley. :p

I remember reading about Comics in the FAQ, I guess I'm just surprised I never noticed it's icon in the showings so far. I'm sure it will make it to Vita. They said the same thing about skype before they announced it. (and flash/PDF's)

I would imagine comics will be there for the western launch, if they aren't there for the Japanese launch.

gofreak said:
Oh well. It's not a major deal, I guess my eu/jpn accounts will get a lot more playtime now. (As a euro, my default account ended up being a US one, but whatevers). Better start filling their friends lists :p

Well, it's kind of a major deal. I didn't use PSN on my PSP, but on PS3 my main account is US one, even if I live in Europe. However if retail titles will work on any account, then it is fine. Still, I hope there won't be a problem with DLC. Sony is really messing things up with PSN account. If they didn't want problems, they shouldn't have allowed to make accounts in multiple regions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Castor Krieg said:
Well, it's kind of a major deal. I didn't use PSN on my PSP, but on PS3 my main account is US one, even if I live in Europe. However if retail titles will work on any account, then it is fine. Still, I hope there won't be a problem with DLC. Sony is really messing things up with PSN account. If they didn't want problems, they shouldn't have allowed to make accounts in multiple regions.

I'm sure retail games will work on any account. Systems don't have to be 'authorised' to play disc/card content - at least not up til now anyway!

It is a pain to have to go through that rigmarole to play downloadable content from different accounts, sure, but a major deal to me would be not being able to do that at all.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I wonder how the OS is going to handle trophy pop-ups. I'd love it if when a trophy pops up, you tap on it and a small window appears showing you the description similar to Xbox Live's approach with the guide button.

AgentWhiskers said:
I wonder how the OS is going to handle trophy pop-ups. I'd love it if when a trophy pops up, you tap on it and a small window appears showing you the description similar to Xbox Live's approach with the guide button.

Not enough ram. Even though other systems with the same amount of ram can do it.

Hang on... that's something else.

JudgeN

Has cross game invites been confirmed? How about OS level persistent data (ie when you go to a friend it says MW3 Multiplayer and its built into the OS not up to the developers to use)?

Cruzader

Banned
JudgeN said:
Has cross game invites been confirmed? How about OS level persistent data (ie when you go to a friend it says MW3 Multiplayer and its built into the OS not up to the developers to use)?
I'm positive both things are covered and confirmed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
NinjaFusion said:
Not enough ram. Even though other systems with the same amount of ram can do it.

Hang on... that's something else.
The 360 is much more efficient with it's RAM usage than the PS3, so that argument doesn't really hold water.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
http://youtu.be/zRhXggj294g

video of vita custom wallpaper ui. looks like you have the option for different colors, or images. just like with the ps3, except you can set a different image/color per home screen?

video also shows off live area for video, music, and images.

Number45

vodka-bull said:
Can I turn off trophy notifications on the Vita?
I can't imagine we're going to know this until launch, unless someone asks @yosp on Twitter and he's kind enough to answer (or even if he knows that as of this moment).

Top Bottom