• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita OS Thread: Beautiful Chaos

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DJmizuhara said:
I was speaking to a Sony employee at TGS on Friday, I was told that the Vita could run multiple accounts. I asked he if I could have both my US & Japanese account on the system at the same time and he replied "Yes, you can." So I proceed with, "So, I don't have to delete an account when I wanna download stuff from another account/region?" He said "No."

Why would you need to delete the account?

You mean switching accounts no?

Chittagong

Gold Member
God damn, they have literally tried to make every single screen and UI component different. Based on the pictures and videos I can't figure out any kind of a mental model, it seems just like a collection of stuff.

That said, other than the OS design, super hyped for Vita and will get one definitely.

Amir0x

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
I want a markerless Inzimals that forces you to go places to find monsters with Near functionality. That's really the only thing I could consider worthwhile to the concept right now, with the current camera quality anyway. It could happen, maybe.

Actually, I take it back. There was ONE concept I had in mind... but again, the AR tech as it stands is still too primitive to make it worthwhile.

But in same future generation, they could integrate your home into a 'crime scene.' For example, you could scan your floor and find 'fingerprints' using your handheld as a blacklight, or magnifying glass to find fibers or hair or whatever. Some phantom has committed some phantom crime and only through the special AR viewfinder can you locate the clues hidden about your home.

I dunno I'm stretching dude, it just feels like a big gimmick to me. I hate gimmicks before gameplay type of shit :p

On the 3DS, fuggetaboutit... the lag and horrendous camera quality just decimates any possible AR concept. That people have found a way to 'enjoy' the awful laggy grainy low-fi face raiders or any of that card AR stuff is so far beyond my capacity to relate I've stopped trying :p

Man

Tracing your living room carpet for semen and blood... I could see fooling many with such software.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Meisadragon said:
That's how it worked on the PSP.

Oh right.

Guess I'm looking at Vita as a portable version of the PS3 and therefore didn't even think about the PSP :D

Jucksalbe

Banned
DJmizuhara said:
I was speaking to a Sony employee at TGS on Friday, I was told that the Vita could run multiple accounts. I asked he if I could have both my US & Japanese account on the system at the same time and he replied "Yes, you can." So I proceed with, "So, I don't have to delete an account when I wanna download stuff from another account/region?" He said "No."
I believe this when I see it. None of the OS videos or pictures so far have shown any "log out" button or something similar.

Razlo

DJmizuhara said:

This is the best news I've heard all weekend! I've bought a bunch of games on a Japanese PSN account and it's a huge pain to only have 1 account on my PSP at a time.

plainr_

DJmizuhara said:

Wow! This means I can import any game from Japan as soon it goes live. Will import just the Vita now.

Thank you based Sony.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DJmizuhara said:
awesome, i'll add that to the thread.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
You guys think we'll be able to log into our US/EU accounts after the Japanese launch or will the servers be down until it launches in those territories?

AgentWhiskers said:
You guys think we'll be able to log into our US/EU accounts after the Japanese launch or will the servers be down until it launches in those territories?

I dont' see how they will be "down", since they should be the same account as the ps3 ones, with the same friends list and everything.

androvsky

Bad_Boy said:
Sony should have publishers release Triple (or would it be Quad?) Play Blu-ray releases for Vita.

Maybe just put a PS Store voucher code for Video download in the box. Or a way to send the digital copy to the vita.

I want HD movies on my Vita's OLED! Long gone is the ghosting of PSP's LCD.
That's what Ultraviolet digital copies are for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(system) If Apple doesn't kill it, it'll be pretty sweet, first Blu-rays with Ultraviolet support should be hitting in a month.

I should be doing hw said:
One would argue from a business standpoint that their handling of the memory cards is intelligent design, only for them to make money.
I'm giving them the out, simply because they deserve to be rewarded for everything else they've achieved with the Vita, and that the money hit is nominal and a one time thing.
I think it's too soon to blast them over the memory card pricing until we see the performance of these things.

In NA the Vita should come bundled with a 4gb card at the least. Maybe in Japan it doesn't matter since PSN sales aren't strong there.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I wonder what comes packed in with the Vita. Sony circa 2005 probably would've gone with four Vita SKUs.

Barebones WiFi
Bells and Whistles WiFi
Barebones WiFi + 3G
Bells and Whistles WiFi +3G

I am hoping a retailer in the UK does a decent 3G + Memory Card bundle.

I'd much rather buy games on top of that then buy a 3G + Game and then buy a memory card on top of that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DJmizuhara said:
This is too good to be true. Quick, everyone spam Yoshida's twitter!

Amir0x said:
On the 3DS, fuggetaboutit... the lag and horrendous camera quality just decimates any possible AR concept. That people have found a way to 'enjoy' the awful laggy grainy low-fi face raiders or any of that card AR stuff is so far beyond my capacity to relate I've stopped trying :p

Basing the extent of AR on the 3DS based on pack-in launch demos is incredibly foolish, especially when we've seen ARE handled better on the system already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqYQVrYzk8&feature=youtu.be

And AR doesn't have to look incredibly realistic or high resolution for people to still think it's a cool effect. It has nothing to do with low standards, unless gamers as a whole have low standards for playing "realistic" styled games with less than lifelife graphics.

I think AR really shines when it's a feature of an actual game. I'm not sure if they could make an entire game around it (maybe downloadable titles) but it's interesting seeing how devs use it

Apath

plainr_ said:
Wow! This means I can import any game from Japan as soon it goes live. Will import just the Vita now.

Thank you based Sony.
I'd wait for a more official form of confirmation before deciding to import or anything. As someone else said above -- it could be a repeat of the clickable sticks situation.

Amir0x

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Basing the extent of AR on the 3DS based on pack-in launch demos is incredibly foolish, especially when we've seen ARE handled better on the system already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqYQVrYzk8&feature=youtu.be

And AR doesn't have to look incredibly realistic or high resolution for people to still think it's a cool effect. It has nothing to do with low standards, unless gamers as a whole have low standards for playing "realistic" styled games with less than lifelife graphics.

I think AR really shines when it's a feature of an actual game. I'm not sure if they could make an entire game around it (maybe downloadable titles) but it's interesting seeing how devs use it

That AR looked cheap and lame and the effect was completely revealing as to what I'm talking about. The 3D model is fine; it's its integration that is awful thanks to the camera and tech involved. What's worse, there was no actual reason for the AR to be used there. It's the dictionary definition of a gimmick. What does it add to the gameplay, what does it add to the visual impact, why should I care? It looks cheesy and grainy and just sort of sad. Like I said another thread, if this is what is impressing people it's the equivalent of cheap carnival sideshow tricks with bearded ladies. I'd readily agree that there are indeed people who think that's cute and can't wait to see bearded lades, but I grew out of coin tricks when I was five years old and as far as it concerns actual games, since the camera is so bad (you can tell how bad in the AR vid there, once again completely unconvincing and distracting) and once you start adding in anything that requires real gameplay and gyros the technical limitations of the 3DS rear its ugly head and the thing falls apart and starts chugging or worse.

Gimmicks are just not for me, let alone when you have such cheap cameras and technology backing it up. Maybe one day in the future, but like autostereoscopic 3D tech, we're just not there yet. Vita is closer, but even it is unconvincing and just sort of cereal toy-in-a-box-ish.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amir0x said:
geeze it seems if not for the memory card misstep the Vita would have been the perfectly designed handheld. every bit of news is just more good, intelligently designed shit

While I would have liked the idea of on-board storage in addition to expendable memory, to be able to use the external memory just like you would use the internal flash one they would have to at least force a minimum speed rating for the external memory card. Android and the total loss of control as far as external SD card speed (from a developer's point of view...) can be quite a mess at times.

If, and this is a big IF maybe, the external memory card has a quite high sustained read and write speed rating then comparable SD cards are not much cheaper.
It is quite a misstep if Sony does not license this new technology out and companies like Sandisk cannot produce cards of their own IMHO.

Amir0x

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
While I would have liked the idea of on-board storage in addition to expendable memory, to be able to use the external memory just like you would use the internal flash one they would have to at least force a minimum speed rating for the external memory card. Android and the total loss of control as far as external SD card speed (from a developer's point of view...) can be quite a mess at times.

If, and this is a big IF maybe, the external memory card has a quite high sustained read and write speed rating then comparable SD cards are not much cheaper.
It is quite a misstep if Sony does not license this new technology out and companies like Sandisk cannot produce cards of their own IMHO.

Even though I think the memory sticks are overpriced at this junction, the bigger problem is that Sony apparently decided not to even include a small one with every Vita package. Since it's going to essentially be a required purchase for anyone wanting to get even half the full use of their Vita, it's basically automatic added on price.

They really should give have tossed in a 4GB.

So that's what I mean by 'if not for the memory card misstep'

Duffyside

Banned
This is the most excited I've ever been about an unreleased console. Granted, I've only had my own money to be excited for consoles for a little over ten years, but still — the fact that I've never considered myself a portable gaming guy, and in the midst of everyone saying all handhelds are to be doomed no matter what they do — I think that's saying something.

What a lineup, what a bunch of great decisions for the system, region-free, party mode, custom soundtracks...

I mean, it's not even close. I always want a new console, but I'm always like "eh, there's one, mayyybe two games I want. I can wait a year. Or two." I must own a Vita on launch. I WILL own a Vita at launch!
Amir0x said:
Even though I think the memory sticks are overpriced at this junction, the bigger problem is that Sony apparently decided not to even include a small one with every Vita package. Since it's going to essentially be a required purchase for anyone wanting to get even half the full use of their Vita, it's basically automatic added on price.

They really should give have tossed in a 4GB.

So that's what I mean by 'if not for the memory card misstep'
This is just me talking out of my ass, but couldn't it be that there is no memory card for Japan because they're far less likely to download games from a store and will almost all just buy games at their local game shop instead?

If there is no card at all for the US/EU launch, I totally agree with you. That's really dumb. Again, I know nothing about Japan (unicorns live there, right?), so I might be totally wrong there.

Majine

Banned
Vita seems to be more focused on gaming than the PS3 ever was. Definately good news.

Good thing I am in Japan. Can't wait.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Strategically, where does PS Suite factor in? Its a play for iOS ports/counterparts, right? Thats the way I've always interpreted it, and I think its awesome.

Majine said:
Vita seems to be more focused on gaming than the PS3 ever was. Definately good news.

Good thing I am in Japan. Can't wait.
I think a home console just naturally lends itself to more non-gaming functions than a portable console.

Cromat

Wow, i'm far more impressed by Vita after reading this thread. It looks great and delivers modern features people care about and expect.

Sony should have taken it one step further and made it run Android.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think AR could help with the marketing perspective in gaming. Imagine going to a game store, scanning a game case with the vita and instantly you can see information about the game. It could be reviews, movies, images, or music. That would be a nice incentive to learn more about a title that aren't on everyone's tongue like Call of duty.

Remember Sony's SmartAR?

Agent X

Awesome job with the OP, Bad_Boy! I feel it's very informative, and actually learned a lot about the PS Vita that I didn't know previously. For instance, I didn't know about the built-in tutorial minigames until now. (Will they have trophies? ;) ) I also appreciate the multitude of screen shots, and the animated GIFs showing certain parts of the interface in use.

Another feature I didn't know about was the fact that the PS button has a notification light. I had been wishing for a feature like this, but until I read this thread I didn't know they were actually doing it.

Goldrusher

DJmizuhara said:
You the man!

And on that bombshell, I pre-ordered.

kuroshiki

Cromat said:
Wow, i'm far more impressed by Vita after reading this thread. It looks great and delivers modern features people care about and expect.

Sony should have taken it one step further and made it run Android.

No Way. No Thanks. It's like asking Sony to send PSV to commit suicide.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DJmizuhara said:
Your post just made me pre-order two Vitas.

Best news since the announcement.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jtwo said:
Strategically, where does PS Suite factor in? Its a play for iOS ports/counterparts, right? Thats the way I've always interpreted it, and I think its awesome.

Initially I figured it would just be an alternative android marketplace - a Sony operated android marketplace - but it's a bit more proprietary than that. It's its own development and runtime environment too that's different from vanilla android.

That means you won't have that scenario I pondered before where Android devs just submit an existing game to Sony's marketplace because it's trivial to do - devs will have to port stuff to work in Sony's environment. On the plus side, however, it's likely to offer a much more mutually exclusive set of content vs the Android marketplace as a result - which Sony would probably prefer if they're going to target slightly higher pricepoints as they've indicated.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Agent X said:
Awesome job with the OP, Bad_Boy! I feel it's very informative, and actually learned a lot about the PS Vita that I didn't know previously. For instance, I didn't know about the built-in tutorial minigames until now. (Will they have trophies? ;) ) I also appreciate the multitude of screen shots, and the animated GIFs showing certain parts of the interface in use.

Another feature I didn't know about was the fact that the PS button has a notification light. I had been wishing for a feature like this, but until I read this thread I didn't know they were actually doing it.
Wow, besides the multiple color part... you pretty much nailed it on the notification light. I wonder if Sony heard you. lol

And you're welcome. I'm probably one of the biggest vita fans on this forum. Glad to share information. It's all open anyways. I just felt the need to collect it into one post. I used to be a Sony fanboy. Now I'm just an exclusive vita fanboy. :p

Bad_Boy said:
I'm probably one of the biggest vita fans on this forum. Glad to share information. It's all open anyways. I just felt the need to collect it into one post. I used to be a Sony fanboy. Now I'm just an exclusive vita fanboy. :p
So the Vita will be your medicine. (tag quote :p)

Raine

I like the notification light. I also like my Vita without a bunch of LEDs all over the place. 3DS is a mess :(

Top Bottom