• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita OS Thread: Beautiful Chaos

Hitoribhoshi said:
Great thread !

Did anybody say or show anything about blutooth support ? (dualshock3/headset support like on the PSPGo?)
can I forget about mkv support now?

It does have bluettooth but unlike PSP it doesn't really need Dual Shock 3 or headset since it got pretty much everything you need on the system.

Omikaru

Checked the OP but didn't see this: anything about being able to run multiple PSN accounts on one Vita, ala PS3?

Would be nice if I could run my EU, JP and US account on one and start picking up PSP/PSone games from different regions. Right now it's a pain in the arse to switch account on my PSP each time, so I haven't bothered.

Amir0x

Banned
geeze it seems if not for the memory card misstep the Vita would have been the perfectly designed handheld. every bit of news is just more good, intelligently designed shit

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Amir0x said:
geeze it seems if not for the memory card misstep the Vita would have been the perfectly designed handheld. every bit of news is just more good, intelligently designed shit
too true.

speaking of complaints. the vita has an accessory port, so I wouldnt put it past sony to release a video out cable down the road.

Yeah, I'm getting kind of hyped for it, looking at all the specs but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying at launch like I did with 3DS, I will wait at least 3 months to make sure there is nothing wrong with the first shipped units.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AgentWhiskers said:
So PS Suite is not just for iOS-style games but regular apps as well? Interesting.
Yeah in the Vita Conference video, Sony showed off an picture viewer app with a clock widget on top. This app was shown on the vita and a sony tablet at the same time, made using the PS Suite. The clock's time actually changed according to what time zone the picture was taken in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLAfRztF0k (skip to 6:00)

gofreak can probably tell you more about it than i can.

Omikaru said:
Checked the OP but didn't see this: anything about being able to run multiple PSN accounts on one Vita, ala PS3?

Would be nice if I could run my EU, JP and US account on one and start picking up PSP/PSone games from different regions. Right now it's a pain in the arse to switch account on my PSP each time, so I haven't bothered.

I was speaking to a Sony employee at TGS on Friday, I was told that the Vita could run multiple accounts. I asked he if I could have both my US & Japanese account on the system at the same time and he replied "Yes, you can." So I proceed with, "So, I don't have to delete an account when I wanna download stuff from another account/region?" He said "No."

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

krYlon

DJmizuhara said:
I was speaking to a Sony employee at TGS on Friday, I was told that the Vita could run multiple accounts. I asked he if I could have both my US & Japanese account on the system at the same time and he replied "Yes, you can." So I proceed with, "So, I don't have to delete an account when I wanna download stuff from another account/region?" He said "No."

Seriously?????

This would be like the best news I've heard about the Vita yet

Are there any non-Sony PlayStation Certified tablets/phones on the market yet? It would be much more beneficial for developers if there was a ton of machines out there that can 'use' PlayStation Suite and the PlayStation store to distribute their wares.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DJmizuhara said:

If I can basically 'import' any game in minutes on Vita thanks to this... :cries happy tears:

Galvanise_ said:
Are there any non-Sony PlayStation Certified tablets/phones on the market yet? It would be much more beneficial for developers if there was a ton of machines out there that can 'use' PlayStation Suite and the PlayStation store to distribute their wares.

None announced.

I think SCE would benefit more if they went in the direction that was initially hinted - that any Android 2.3+ device could run it, but certified would offer guaranteed performance - but Sony as a whole probably wants some exclusivity for a while...I guess.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Has there been any word of PS3 to Vita video chat? Seems logical, and from what I hear the camera in the Vita is similar if not the same as the PSEye.

Lain

The supported formats for music and video feel really limited given the type of device.
I do hope some apps will expand that support to some more stuff.

yurinka

DJmizuhara said:
Great news :)

Amir0x said:
One would argue from a business standpoint that their handling of the memory cards is intelligent design, only for them to make money.
I'm giving them the out, simply because they deserve to be rewarded for everything else they've achieved with the Vita, and that the money hit is nominal and a one time thing.

yurinka

gofreak said:
None announced.

I think SCE would benefit more if they went in the direction that was initially hinted - that any Android 2.3+ device could run it, but certified would offer guaranteed performance - but Sony as a whole probably wants some exclusivity for a while...I guess.
Xperia Play and 2 Sony tablets are the first PS certified devices in their respective markets.
Yes, some games are exclusive to Xperia Play (tablets still aren't in the market) during some moths, so I assume they also will be for the other PS certified devices.

IonicSnake said:
It does have bluettooth but unlike PSP it doesn't really need Dual Shock 3 or headset since it got pretty much everything you need on the system.
Thanks for you answer but I still want BF just like on PSPGo since my BT headset has a builtin remote control and DS3 support = my mini custom made arcade stick for blazblue/umvc3/sxt etc

I really hope for multi account too :\ (for multi region psn store) (Edit:DJmizuhara thanks for your input on this!)

I hope HDMI out come out for that 1st version of the retail system via accessory port too (hey it's on the devkit aleardy!)

Kyoufu

DJmizuhara said:

That's cool but it could be a repeat of clickable sticks. :(

Maybe if we all ask Shuhei Yoshida on twitter for confirmation... :)

Kyoufu said:
That's cool but it could be a repeat of clickable sticks. :(

Maybe if we all ask Shuhei Yoshida on twitter for confirmation... :)

It's got to be done I think, this account business was a major pain on PSP.

DJmizuhara said:
PS VITA mini games

Starring DCharlie ;)

which one is he? The girl was like wtf leave me alone when the first guy was like "lets pose". Can't believe they demoed a button pressing game with 12345.. surely on a functional level; they could have designed something better for a simon says game.

Andrefpvs

DJmizuhara said:

If this is true... oh man! *shakes with glee*

joshwaan

DJmizuhara said:

Fantastic news thanks you :)

Amir0x

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
One would argue from a business standpoint that their handling of the memory cards is intelligent design, only for them to make money.
I'm giving them the out, simply because they deserve to be rewarded for everything else they've achieved with the Vita, and that the money hit is nominal and a one time thing.

I don't think I'd argue that since I don't think the prices are going to help them sell as many as they otherwise could.

My hope is that almost all games could just save to the cartridges and don't require memory cards to save. That said, I'm getting a 32GB on day one so it is what it is.

Man

I should be doing hw said:

I would think this is indisputable.
Microsoft made a hell of a lot of money on proprietary stuff with the X360 while PS3 earned nada on open solutions.

See the PS4 (like the Vita) having proprietary solutions.

kvn

"Jeff_Rigby would be proud."

:lol

I wonder if there will be a firmware update for the PS3 so it can also display the trophies earned on the vita.

Omikaru

DJmizuhara said:
Oh. My. God. This is awesome.

Sony are knocking it out of the park.

Man said:
Multiple account dude sounds like a clickable analog SCEE dude situation.
Possibly. It wouldn't surprise me, and it'd be nice to have a non-second hand source on this.

Man

Amir0x said:
man those PS Mini games look just comically awful. pass on that shit for sure
You are probably refering to the Welcome app. It just informs (in the most basic way) about PSVita device controls.

Wonder if the actual Minis program will end in spring when PS Suite titles start appearing.
On the other hand: Minis cover PSP1 + PS3
PS Suite covers PSVita + Android
So the one doesn't completely replace the other. PS Suite games are created with touch screens in mind so probably not the best with PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Confusion with all the 'PS Mini' talk. The vid is the freebie welcome park app, which is the equivalent of 'touchscreens for dummies' I guess.

Nothing to do with PS Minis!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
DJmizuhara said:
I wouldn't take a Sony employee's words so seriously. Better wait for an official confirmation, although, if he knows what he's talking about then it's definitely good news.

Jimrpg

vodka-bull said:
You're not supposed to make landscape photography with it and for everything else VGA's just fine.

what about reality fighters? would look way better with a quality video camera and not that blurry mess we're getting in the promos.

and the photo gallery looks like its taken direct from iPhoto, so i would be disappointed if i had a great photo app and then crappy photos. VGA was what i had 10 years ago via web cam...

Amir0x

Banned
arbok26 said:
what about reality fighters? would look way better with a quality video camera and not that blurry mess we're getting in the promos.

and the photo gallery looks like its taken direct from iPhoto, so i would be disappointed if i had a great photo app and then crappy photos. VGA was what i had 10 years ago via web cam...

That's why this AR stuff currently is a bust. No matter how cool people feel implementing cheap 3D effects into the "real world" is, if it's seen through grainy, low resolution imagery it's just going to snap any immersion factor out the window. There's really no gameplay concept in my opinion that so far makes any worthwhile use of the AR gimmick. Still waiting.

Man

Amir0x said:
There's really no gameplay concept in my opinion that so far makes any worthwhile use of the AR gimmick. Still waiting.
'VHS like' horror AR game could work with the vision intact.
Kinda in the same spirit as Silent Hill on PSOne using the limited draw distance to create fog.

Amir0x said:
There's really no gameplay concept in my opinion that so far makes any worthwhile use of the AR gimmick. Still waiting.
I want a markerless Inzimals that forces you to go places to find monsters with Near functionality. That's really the only thing I could consider worthwhile to the concept right now, with the current camera quality anyway. It could happen, maybe.

Omikaru

Amir0x said:
That's why this AR stuff currently is a bust. No matter how cool people feel implementing cheap 3D effects into the "real world" is, if it's seen through grainy, low resolution imagery it's just going to snap any immersion factor out the window. There's really no gameplay concept in my opinion that so far makes any worthwhile use of the AR gimmick. Still waiting.
Whilst I agree, a lot of people have really terrible standards in regards to this stuff.

Top Bottom