• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 1.1 Firmware update now available! (1080i upscaling fix?)

The manroom just received their US PS3, and as soon as they boot up the system, it prompts to update to the newest firmware. This just might be the 720p to 1080i problem that people with older CRTs and Rear Projection have complained about. We'll see tomorrow when people open up their systems.

Booting up the PS3 for the first time prompts the SIXAXIS controller to be attached to the console via an included USB cable in order to charge up. This is a minor inconvenience because I’m already accustomed to no controller cables with Xbox 360, and the cable included could be a heck of a lot longer. Once the controller is in sync with the console and some basic set-up information entered including a user profile, the system prompts for a firmware upgrade to 1.10 from 1.0. The download takes roughly 10 minutes and after a quick install is ready to go, but nothing within the menus or loading times for either games or Blu-ray movies seems to benefit from the effort.

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=393

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But does it have an upgradeable scaler? Ib only have one TV this affects, so I only mildly give a shit.

djkimothy

Hypothetically, if I don't have an internet connection I can't benefit from these upgrades?

Is this the norm or will these updates also be included with games related disc.

I ask because I usually don't have my PS2 connected for online. Will be the same with the PS3 eventually.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
djkimothy said:
Hypothetically, if I don't have an internet connection I can't benefit from these upgrades?

Is this the norm or will these updates also be included with games related disc.
PSP has the same method of system update as PS3 does. And more recent system updates have always included on new PSP game discs. So I'd expect the same for the PS3.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
djkimothy said:

I ask because I usually don't have my PS2 connected for online. Will be the same with the PS3 eventually.

games will inevitably have the latest version of firmware available on it to install, like the PSP.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yep, time to turn this into the "How much longer before we get PSP 3.0 Firmware?" topic.

No later than next week, I hope.

Orobi

djkimothy said:

Maybe u will find them on the OPSM magazine's disc!
Oooopppps it seems that OPSM magazine will be canned from next year o_O

pr0cs

I hope they update the firmware because a LOT of people are going to be pissed that they're stuck in 480 when their TV only supports 1080i, especially when compared to the other HD console.

Jeff-DSA

pr0cs said:
I hope they update the firmware because a LOT of people are going to be pissed that they're stuck in 480 when their TV only supports 1080i, especially when compared to the other HD console.

I'm in that boat. I won't be buying a PS3 until they fix it. Sony is full of retarded **** ups and I hope they get some serious backlash for this type of jackassery.

bill0527

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm in that boat. I won't be buying a PS3 until they fix it. Sony is full of retarded **** ups and I hope they get some serious backlash for this type of jackassery.

I'm in the boat with you. Not getting one until they do something about that. And it better be a quality solution to the problem and not something half-assed to try and make people think they're getting 1080i, when they aren't getting anywhere close to it. I expect near quality 1080i before I plunk down the cash.

Norse

just in case someone comes in here wondering what he thread title is all about....

"As it turns out, gamers who own older HD sets that feature only 480i, 480p, and 1080i resolution input capabilities will have to settle for the display quality being downsized as the game boots in its 480p mode rather than upscaling the image from its more desirable 720p mode to the TV's 1080i. We tested this development on older HDTV sets with games designed for 720p but not 1080i -- Resistance: Fall of Man, NHL 2K7, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, and Need for Speed Carbon. Sure enough, the system downshifted all four titles to 480p rather than moving up to 1080i."

quoted from voodooextreme website.

qirex

A year ago I was trying to convince people not to buy cheapo TVs but no, they had to save $75. Honestly I blame the companies who sold these POSes as "HDTVs" much as Sony.
Orobi said:
Maybe u will find them on the OPSM magazine's disc!
Oooopppps it seems that OPSM magazine will be canned from next year o_O
They could ship them on games, much like they do for the PS and 360. But I guess thinking of that would force you to turn off the part of your brain that comes up with such snappy retorts. Apparently it also controls your spelling and grammar center.

Jeff-DSA

qirex said:
A year ago I was trying to convince people not to buy cheapo TVs but no, they had to save $75. Honestly I blame the companies who sold these POSes as "HDTVs" much as Sony.

Holy crap, you need to be given the most derogatory tag in the history of GAF for that one. That's seriously the worst damage control of all time.

pr0cs

qirex said:

there is no way to really spin this as "not sony's fault".. considering how many HDTVs there are out there that don't support 720p and at the time were not considered "cheapo" this sort of defect is huge.
Hopefully once the PS3 is out in the wild the consumers will force Sony's hand on the subject.

Jeff-DSA

pr0cs said:
there is no way to really spin this as "not sony's fault".. considering how many HDTVs there are out there that don't support 720p and at the time were not considered "cheapo" this sort of defect is huge.
Hopefully once the PS3 is out in the wild the consumers will force Sony's hand on the subject.

Exactly, my TV was pretty much considered one of the best out there when I bought it a couple of years back. I wasn't trying to save a buck at all...though it appears Sony is.

qirex

Jeff-DSA said:
Holy crap, you need to be given the most derogatory tag in the history of GAF for that one. That's seriously the worst damage control of all time.
A HDTV is supposed to accept 480i/p24/30, 720p24/30 and 1080i24/30 at a minimum. That's the ATSC standard and it's why TV stations don't have to worry about if people can pick up 720p or 1080i. This is a definite PS3 product problem that at the least should have been revealed to the public months ago and I really hope they can resolve it. On the other hand just like places selling "EDTVs" and "HD ready" sets the electronics manufacturers got greedy and didn't want to actually put a decent scaler in their sets.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Considering the developers of Resistance actually coded a warning message regarding the 1080i incompatibility of their game, I doubt it's something that would be simply fixed by a firmware upgrade.

pr0cs

Blimblim said:
Considering the developers of Resistance actually coded a warning message regarding the 1080i incompatibility of their game, I doubt it's something that would be simply fixed by a firmware upgrade.

oh man, that goes from bad to worse

OverHeat

« generous god »
Blimblim said:

W3lCOME TO TRU3 HD....sony want you to upgrade to a new HDTV

Jeff-DSA

Blimblim said:

Seriously? Why in the world was this hidden from us until now?

I'm almost glad I missed out on a preorder. This is starting to sound terrible now.

manngc

Blimblim said:
That's what I was thinking too.

qirex said:
On the other hand just like places selling "EDTVs" and "HD ready" sets the electronics manufacturers got greedy and didn't want to actually put a decent scaler in their sets.

And sony is one of those electronics manufacturers who did this very thing. My first HD set is a 51" Sony RP CRT. All 720p content is downscaled to 480p. A non issue with the Xbox 360's internal scaler, but a huge issue with the PS3.

Of course, I could just use my my 1080p Samsung LCD... ;)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Does the PS3 have an internal scaler chip/something that a firmware update could be used to fix this?

Or would we have to wait for individual patches for each game this is effecting?

Norse

Jeff-DSA said:

I'm almost glad I missed out on a preorder. This is starting to sound terrible now.

Was it hidden or did sony followers just ignore the warnings......the praise for ps3 online and backward compatibility before the system even launched had them blinded. Now we see the online is garbage so far, and the BC is having issues with over 200 games. Thank goodness they can update the firmware and online stuff.....I'll wait 6 months before I get one now.

manngc

Apparently, the burden is on the developer to support multiple resolutions since the OS of the PS3 will not upscale the video output of games. Therefore, if the developer didn't program the game with the resolution in mind as an option, you're out of luck (and apparently Sony allows game that only support 720p and 480i/p).

qirex

GunFingers said:
And sony is one of those electronics manufacturers who did this very thing. My first HD set is a 51" Sony RP CRT. All 720p content is downscaled to 480p. A non issue with the Xbox 360's internal scaler, but a huge issue with the PS3.

Of course, I could just use my my 1080p Samsung LCD... ;)
Technically a TV that accepts and displays the set of signals, as long as one output resolution is greater than 480p is a "HDTV". The problem is these sets that people are complaining about don't accept a 720p signal at all.

Of course all of this brings up the fact that HDTV has overall been a terribly designed and implemented standard but that's a different thread entirely.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jeff-DSA said:

Well, the vast majority of the HDTV will simply switch to 720p, it's not like it will be an issue for that many people.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Blimblim said:
I'm not sure how Insomniac being conscientious enough to inform their customers of a current issue really implies that no solution is coming. The warning could be conditional or even remarked out in a future update to RFOM if a firmware update that fixes the scaling issue materializes.

Bebpo

Banned
Blimblim said:

The real fix is that developers are going to be forced to render the games at 1080i themselves.

Jeff-DSA

Blimblim said:
Well, the vast majority of the HDTV will simply switch to 720p, it's not like it will be an issue for that many people.

Well, a couple of years ago it was pretty common for HDTVs to not support 720p and only 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of these sets out there.

pr0cs

Blimblim said:

I dono Blim, in North America there are TONS of tvs that support 1080i only.. pretty much most of the RP CRT TVs.

dalyr95

I thought people were moaning about the lack of 1080 sets, now theres 1080 only sets.

In Europe, they have the HD ready standard where all HDTVs have to support 720p at least and 1080p, whats the situation in Japan and how many US TVs were affected?

RaijinFY

pr0cs said:
I dono Blim, in North America there are TONS of tvs that support 1080i only.. pretty much most of the RP CRT TVs.

Good lord, this is so ****ed up... I mean I didnt even know those kind of TVs existed. 1080i only?? Retarded...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
pr0cs said:

From what I understand, it doesn't have to be able to display it, it just has to be able to accept it. The only ones that can't are the older HDTVs. Still, should get a fix out there if possible.

golem

Jeff-DSA said:
Well, a couple of years ago it was pretty common for HDTVs to not support 720p and only 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of these sets out there.
not to mention those tv's that do a poor job of 720p upconversion, and there are quite a few out there.

LJ11

dalyr95 said:
I thought people were moaning about the lack of 1080 sets, now theres 1080 only sets.

In Europe, they have the HD ready standard where all HDTVs have to support 720p at least and 1080p, whats the situation in Japan and how many US TVs were affected?

Most 1080i TVs accept 720p signals, but several years ago that was not the case. Those people are pretty much screwed.

oBa

So wait, im confused.

My tv does not take a 720p signal. However, in "normal" circumstances it takes a 720p native signal and upconverts it to 1080i. Are we saying now that this will no longer happen and the ps3 will force it down to 480p?

pr0cs

Y2Kevbug11 said:
From what I understand, it doesn't have to be able to display it, it just has to be able to accept it. The only ones that can't are the older HDTVs. Still, should get a fix out there if possible.

I don't really understand what you're saying, this is how the IGN article reads:
As it turns out, gamers who own older HD sets that feature only 480i, 480p, and 1080i resolution input capabilities will have to settle for the display quality being downsized as the game boots in its 480p mode rather than upscaling the image from its more desirable 720p mode to the TV's 1080i.

to me this sounds really bad, this sounds like games that aren't developed to support 1080i simply will not work with 1080i televisions, perhaps I'm reading this wrong.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
It was pretty common to see 480p/1080i only sets in stores even up to Christmas of last year.

The CRT rear pro sets were quite popular, you could buy a pretty well equipped 60+ inch CRT rear pro 1080i set for well less than half of what the same size LCD or Plasma or even LCD rear pro cost.

This is really inexcusable on Sony's part. How can you sell an HD console that isn't even compatible with all HD tvs, in fact it's not even compatible with every SONY hdtv sold in the past few years :/

Top Bottom