• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Controller + Accesories Priced (surprise!!) Pics Inside

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
xaosslug said:
"(surprise!!)" indeed. Why PS3 news all of the sudden? This seemingly came out of nowhere. lol
yeah I thought the same. I figured stuff like this would wait until their october 19th event.

Kobun Heat said:
Just figured this out, huh?

Yep. PS3 backward compatibility am rosebudded.

I loved being able to use my PSOne controllers on PS2, saved me money early on from having to buy extra controllers for multiplayer. Not to mention the no rumble issue.

I guess I can't use my official PS2 remote either :p

Borys

Banned
Old remotes look like this BTW:

IMG_4898.JPG

$40 seems alright I guess. After Kaz saying rumble was kept out to keep the price down on controllers though, I was thinking $30 may be possible (even with bluetooth and motion sensory). I guess rumble would of put it more on par with the Wiimote/chuck though.

I'm pleased that the PS1/2 mem-card adaptor is so cheap. It could of been $20 and not that surprising.

PkunkFury

guys don't be surprised if the prices get a bit higher when announced for the US. Conversion rates from yen for this gen seems to have changed against our favor

for comparison, the Wiimote is 3800 Yen and it is being sold for $40 alone here.
I'm not saying sony won't do it, but converting the 5000 yen sixaxis to $40 as well would be a nice surprise

rc213

Does anyone know if PS1/PS2 games will save to the PS3 Hard Drive or will I need the adapter plus memory card to save?

+ Sixaxis Controller pricing
+ Memory Card reader and pricing
- Remote looks fugly

rc213 said:
Does anyone know if PS1/PS2 games will save to the PS3 Hard Drive or will I need the adapter plus memory card to save?

I'd imagine that you can do both.

Elios83 said:
What is the function of the blu,red,green and yellow buttons on the remote?

I think it is for bluray menus? Like teletext, the different colours correspond to different things on screen.

I was hoping the memory card adaptor would include a joypad adaptor.

rc213

Cold-Steel said:
I'd imagine that you can do both.

Im hoping aswell, As I have alot of PS2 games but no memory cards and have been patiently waiting for the PS3 so I can play them again.

Twix said:
wait.. how can I use my Dual Shock 2 on the PS3 ? all I can see is the memory adapter..

SIXAXIS

rc213 said:
Im hoping aswell, As I have alot of PS2 games but no memory cards and have been patiently waiting for the PS3 so I can play them again.

If you can do it with the PS2 HDD, I'd imagine the PS3 HDD would be exactly the same - if not easier.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
travisbickle said:
I think it is for bluray menus? Like teletext, the different colours correspond to different things on screen.

I was hoping the memory card adaptor would include a joypad adaptor.
yep..
ps3bluray1od4.jpg

same blue, green, red, and yellow.

Cold-Steel said:
SIXAXIS

If you can do it with the PS2 HDD, I'd imagine the PS3 HDD would be exactly the same - if not easier.

You couldn't load save files from the PS2 HDD though, it was only used to "store" the saves, but when you needed to use them in a game you had to copy them to the Memory Card first. Hopefully you can load PS2 game saves directly from HDD in PS3, but if it's hardware-based emulation then probably not.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
$40 seems alright I guess.

why does "$40 seems about right" keep coming up?

the price , for Japanese, is 5000 yen - the US price isn't set yet.
for comparison , PS2 controllers are 3500 yen
and the X360 controller is 4000 yen

D3VI0US

As long as they include charge cables with the controller it's all good. I think it's bullshit that they haven't announced Dual Shock backwards compatibility. However given all the open platform like PC, could someone write drivers for USB adaptors? Granted not all of the accessories would work write depending on adaptor, I've seen some that enumerate arcade sticks different and whatnot. Just think it's a shame especially when you think about how PS3 owners are gonna play Guitar Hero 2. Still these prices are great comparitively.

xaosslug

antiloop said:
I can't understand the hate this time. Prices are fine and remote matches PS3 really well.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time
-- Abraham Lincoln

PkunkFury

DCharlie said:

yeah I am confused as well

The wiimote WITH the nunchuck is 5600 yen. Remember, the controller you guys have been complaining about being WAY too expensive. I know Nintendo is overcharging US and that does not mean Sony will do the same, but I don't see why we are assuming Sony will undercharge so much. I'll be happy if they do, but $50 seems just as likely at this point

Wollan

Nice prices indeed.
Light sturdy controller with precise motion tracking and internal rechargeable battery for a low price.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'm baffled - the second most expensive japanese controllers ever (600 yen less than the wiimote+nunchuck which a) has way more tech in it b) got murdered for price) gets the thumbs up because of the conversion rate to USD? i'm lost guys.

Bad_Boy said:
sweet.
wireless controller for 40 bucks, not bad.
ps2 memory card adaptor 15 bucks, no bad.
ps3 remote 30 bucks, not bad.

i'm happy, nothing overly expensive. :)
though I thought they would announce this at their oct 19th gamers day event.

and they said the Wiimote was expensive

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
future_pinoy said:
and they said the Wiimote was expensive
well to be fair the wiimote isnt all that expensive (generally speaking, and for what you get out of it), but when you couple it with the nunchuck.....yeah.

Bad_Boy said:
well to be fair the wiimote isnt all that expensive (generally speaking, and for what you get out of it), but when you couple it with the nunchuck.....yeah.

is cable for charging the batteries, included with the "SIX AXIS" ? if it is included, then its fine with me, if not we're robbed again.

DCharlie said:
i'm baffled - the second most expensive japanese controllers ever (600 yen less than the wiimote+nunchuck which a) has way more tech in it b) got murdered for price) gets the thumbs up because of the conversion rate to USD? i'm lost guys.

Let's quote this ONE MORE TIME

future_pinoy said:
is cable for charging the batteries, included with the "SIX AXIS" ? if it is included, then its fine with me, if not we're robbed again.

It's a ****ing usb cable like one of the 1643 you have in your room and that can be purchased for 2 bucks, shut up.

PkunkFury

future_pinoy said:

wait is there really a chance this could be sold without the cable? What would people do when the thing runs out of battereis if they didn't buy one? can you remove the battery to charge it or something? I may be missing something here but I've never bought a product with a rechargable battery that didn't come with some means of charging the battery

Baryn

Banned
Naked Snake said:
You couldn't load save files from the PS2 HDD though, it was only used to "store" the saves, but when you needed to use them in a game you had to copy them to the Memory Card first. Hopefully you can load PS2 game saves directly from HDD in PS3, but if it's hardware-based emulation then probably not.
Sony said that you will be able to load old PlayStation saves from the HDD, as it will have a "Virtual Memory Card" built in.

http://www.cgonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=828&Itemid=1&sectName=PS3

Hyoushi

Great thread

DC harlie fighting the good fight

highfive!

PS: I heard the Splorgenborg controller will be at least $43, but that includes the neck brace

Wollan

I'm guessing it's included in the PS3 box and not with the standalone controller. You will always have one though if you really want more then shell out 2$ bucks somewhere.

PkunkFury

Wollan said:
I'm guessing it's included in the PS3 box and not with the standalone controller. You will always have one though if you really want more then shell out 2$ bucks somewhere.

ah that make sense, and yeah not including one with spare controllers should be fine in that case

Striek

Nice price for the memory-card adapter. Wont need one but good to know.

Don't really like the remote, it just looks too vanilla.

But its not hideous (see: X360 media remote)

Wollan

I just looked at my Bravia controller and it's totally alike in shape and pretty similar in button layout.

Edit: Though now when I'm thinking about it, I'm surprised that there isn't a official headset announced yet though they have still a quite a bit more to reveal like cables and the wax and whatever I guess.

Mmmkay

Dear God, a Bluetooth AV remote? I pray they make a USB IR dongle or something, or many people will descend into Hulk rage smashiness.

Zenith

Banned
Do the aesthetics of the remote control really mean that much to you? How many of you even need to buy one?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
AniHawk said:
Oh well. Still a better deal than Microsoft's ridiculous $50 controllers (or Nintendo's outrageous $60 ones).

o rly? Does the sixaxis include accelerometers, rumble, speaker & ir? :lol

Microsoft's one is really overpriced though if you compare to sixaxi especially if the sixaxis contains a rechargeable battery for that price

Top Bottom