• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Controller + Accesories Priced (surprise!!) Pics Inside

dalyr95 said:
If you have a PSP USB cable or any other USB to mini USB you can use it to charge the controller, stop bitching. No ****ing Play and Charge shit here

I rather keep my gaming experience completely wireless. For instance with 4 rechargables and a wall recharger.

Just like... well, you know which console.

Whats the bleedin point of wireless controllers anyway then?

mollipen

TheTrin said:
Is anyone here seriously going to buy the remote, though? the controller is wireless, and you can play and skip just as well as you can on a remote. Plus, aren't you primarily going to be playing, you know...games on it?

Yeah, playing games... and DVDs, and Blu-Ray, and stored video files if the PS3 is decent enough at that.

Plus, I dunno... I like the look of the remote. *shrugs*

PjotrStroganov said:
I rather keep my gaming experience completely wireless. For instance with 4 rechargables and a wall recharger.

You play them wireless and then charge them with the USB when not....what's so invasive about that?

Raistlin

Prices aren't too bad ... me like.

I really hope someone brings out some sort of IR/RF receiver that will allow you to use a nice universal remote with the PS3.

PjotrStroganov said:

So you prefer $30(low estimate) over the price of the controller?

I still expect the game controller to cost $50, but I would love for them to price it at no higher then $40. As for the remote, I guess I'll eventually get one. But being a harmony owner, it's going to suck not being able to use my harmony with the PS3 ;_;

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Proelite said:
Awesome costs. 4 wireless controllers are now a possibility for me.
hey, while we are at it, why not go for a cool 7? :lol
nba7yu0.jpg

Cauliflower of Love said:
So you prefer $30(low estimate) over the price of the controller?

$0 because I already have these things. Using them now for Xbox 360 controller. And have been using them for other things before.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
You play them wireless and then charge them with the USB when not....what's so invasive about that?

Constantly having wires lying around is messy. I'm lazy you know, and will just keep the usb cable wired into the PS3. Kinda defeats the effect of that pretty shiny exterior.

Besides that, only too often, the batteries are empty during gameplay on 360. The same will happen with PS3. And that's because I don't have consoles plugged in when I don't need to. So no charging when I'm not playing. A quick switch of two loaded batteries is much easier in my situation.

Even if normal batteries are never going to be viable options, specialized batteries like in the quick charge kit for Xbox 360 would be much better.

StevieP

Banned
Wait, let me see if I understand this correctly (GAF is kinda weird sometimes)...

$42 (yen conversion) for a Dualshock 2 (minus the expensive vibration motor + an accelerometer + battery) which will likely cost $49 in the US (they won't take anymore losses).... is cool with you guys.

But $40 for a motion sensing remote with rumble, accelerometers, a speaker, infrared camera, profile storage.... is too much? Ya ya, you have to spend $60 instead of $50 if you want the Nunchuk... but the main remote is still $40. Still a lot more tech either way.

Diablos

What if I connect a USB cable from the PS2 to PS3 and transfer my PS2 saves that way? Surely emulation allows memory cards to be recognized on other devices (hdd), since it has to go through USB on PS3 anyway...

rage1973

I like how 80% of the posters on this thread take the $40 for controller as set in stone even though there isn't any final pricing for US.

J-Rzez

PjotrStroganov said:
$0 because I already have these things. Using them now for Xbox 360 controller. And have been using them for other things before.

Constantly having wires lying around is messy. I'm lazy you know, and will just keep the usb cable wired into the PS3. Kinda defeats the effect of that pretty shiny exterior.

Besides that, only too often, the batteries are empty during gameplay on 360. The same will happen with PS3. And that's because I don't have consoles plugged in when I don't need to. So no charging when I'm not playing. A quick switch of two loaded batteries is much easier in my situation.

Even if normal batteries are never going to be viable options, specialized batteries like in the quick charge kit for Xbox 360 would be much better.

Well looks like you're S.O.L. then... Myself, being Lazy as well, can still find the vast amounts of energy needed to remove a wire from the front of a console and controller, and set it aside... It's tuff, but maybe if you work at it, you'll one day be able to do that as well... but it should come easier to you since you can obviously walk over and grab two rechargable AA batteries and insert the two dead ones to get recharged, or, maybe the strength to open up a new pack of fresh batteries...

It's disgusting, and grasping for straws... ppl should be happy we're getting top-notch wireless controllers included in all the consoles(except for one box)... Maybe everyone would've just been happier if they were all wired? Damn... ppl disgust me sometimes...

dalyr95 said:
Leave the cable in your PC and plug the controller in when your Gaffing, problem solved

Is an option. I however doubt everyone will have the same option. Relying on another computer is not the most optimal solution. Removable batteries, propriatory or not, is the way of least resistance for many.

It's disgusting, and grasping for straws... ppl should be happy we're getting top-notch wireless controllers included in all the consoles(except for one box)... Maybe everyone would've just been happier if they were all wired? Damn... ppl disgust me sometimes...

Tell me, do you use the remote control for your tv?

No wait, a better example. Do you use the eject button on the dashboard of the xbox 360? You know(if you don't have one), that option that can be used without having to stand up and physicaly press the eject button? I do and many others. Why? Because it's easy as hell. And it's absolutely not necessary.

StevieP said:
Wait, let me see if I understand this correctly (GAF is kinda weird sometimes)...

$42 (yen conversion) for a Dualshock 2 (minus the expensive vibration motor + an accelerometer + battery) which will likely cost $49 in the US (they won't take anymore losses).... is cool with you guys.

But $40 for a motion sensing remote with rumble, accelerometers, a speaker, infrared camera, profile storage.... is too much? Ya ya, you have to spend $60 instead of $50 if you want the Nunchuk... but the main remote is still $40. Still a lot more tech either way.

From another standpoint though, it doesn't look as good considering the comparative lack of buttons.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
cartman414 said:
From another standpoint though, it doesn't look as good considering the comparative lack of buttons.

more buttons = better value?

guess the jaguar controller rocked the nation back in the day.

quadriplegicjon said:

No, but I'ill argue not having to lose all the evolution of modern conventional controls proven for games for generations refined till now is a bigger positive.

StevieP

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
No, but I'ill argue not having to lose all the evolution of modern conventional controls proven for games for generations refined till now is a bigger positive.

And I'd argue that the Wii remote is the next Revolution in controls, as evidenced by Sony's last-minute insertion of accelerometers, and that buttons will become far less important in a videogame world that revolves around immersing you in the experience of a game. Throwing a football in Madden = button on PS3/360... throwing a football in Madden = throw on Wii. Therefore, do you still need a button for the throwing motion?

Better yet, add the nunchuk (which can also sense motion) and you've got almost as many buttons as a standard controller, just in 2 parts. All this for likely $10 (or $15 or $20 or whatever the final US price is) more than the PS3 pad? I don't understand why people aren't up-in-arms over why the PS3 pad is so expensive for what you get. Or the bog standard 360 wireless pad for that matter. I'd say that's more of a rip-off. I'm not too pleased with the PS3 pad prices, especially with the loss of arguably the most expensive part inside controllers (rumble motor).

Particle Physicist

HomerSimpson-Man said:

thats all subjective though. fact of the matter is, the wii-mote packs a whole lot more tech than its competitors.. hence why the 10 dollar difference is at least justifiable.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
quadriplegicjon said:
thats all subjective though. fact of the matter is, the wii-mote packs a whole lot more tech than its competitors.. hence why the 10 dollar difference is at least justifiable.

so then i assume you're fine with the price of the PS3 then?

Bebpo

Banned
No USB adapter for the controllers is disappointing.

But...if Sony is as open to 3rd party accesories like the PS1/PS2, then I don't see why a 3rd party wouldn't take one of those PS2->USB PC adapters and make it work with the PS3 at least for playing PS1/PS2 games.

In the worst case at least we already have a 6 (or was it 8) button HQ Hori USB stick coming. And the GT4 FF wheel is USB so it should work on the PS3 for racers (fingers crossed). So then we'd just need to rebuy our Guitars (which many are doing anyway for X360), our Beatmania turntables, our Pop n' Music things, or DDR pads, and our AC flight controllers.

I'm honestly much more excited about the AWESOME game prices announced today. I just wished they'd follow the same route in the US. Having all PS3 games sitting on the shelf at $40-50 with $50-60 X360 games next to them would be a strong advantage for Sony with the casual market.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Bebpo said:
No USB adapter for the controllers is disappointing.

But...if Sony is as open to 3rd party accesories like the PS1/PS2, then I don't see why a 3rd party wouldn't take one of those PS2->USB PC adapters and make it work with the PS3 at least for playing PS1/PS2 games.

In the worst case at least we already have a 6 (or was it 8) HQ Hori USB stick coming. And the GT4 FF wheel is USB so it should work on the PS3 for racers (fingers crossed). So then we'd just need to rebuy our Guitars (which many are doing anyway for X360), our Beatmania turntables, our Pop n' Music things, or DDR pads, and our AC flight controllers.

i hope the next guitar hero has rumble in it!!

Mrbob

Before we cheer these lower accessory prices keep in mind we may not get a direct translation of price in the USA.

49800 yen PS3 is $499.99.

5000 yen controller could be $49.99 here. :/ Although $39.99 would be a welcomed surprise.

Marty Chinn said:
Bleh, how crappy. That means you can't use a universal remote with the PS3. My one remote setup just went to two. I was hoping for an IR dongle instead of Bluetooth.
If your universal remote does not have bluetooth it's not really universal is it?
You just have to buy a really universal remote with blutooth capability and trash the semi-universal remote that you have, so i't not really a problem. IR sucks anyway, with bluetooth you can hide your precious Playstation inside a cupboard so it's not exposed to all the dirt flying around in your living room. :)

Particle Physicist

davepoobond said:
so then i assume you're fine with the price of the PS3 then?

for the tech that it contains? yes.. absolutely.

will i get it at launch?

nope. i'll wait for a price drop.. im poor. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Mrbob said:
Before we cheer these lower accessory prices keep in mind we may not get a direct translation of price in the USA.

5000 yen controller could be $49.99 here. :/ Although $39.99 would be a welcomed surprise.

Yeah, 5000yen for a controller is gonna be $50 here. X360 wireless is 5000yen and it's $50 here and honestly if anyone doesn't expect Sony to match MS pricing tit for tat they're looney. If Sony sees that people are willing to buy $50 controllers on the X360 they'd be stupid to sell for less than that since it just means losing profit.

Then again you can't always do the 1000yen = $10 deal or the ~7000yen price of PS2/X360 games would mean PS2/Xbox games were $70 in the US.

5000yen is complete BS for the controller though in actuality. PS2 controllers were 3000yen so $20 extra for motion-sensing? **** that, I'd rather them keep motion sensing out and save me $20 a controller. Also anyone who thinks the lack of PS2 controller ports wasn't an intentional design to reap profit as everyone buys millions of controllers at $50 a piece is living in a dream.

Mrbob said:

Yeah, I guess so. If people are willing to pay the $50 for X360's control, might as well take advantage of that.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, 5000yen for a controller is gonna be $50 here. X360 wireless is 5000yen and it's $50 here and honestly if anyone doesn't expect Sony to match MS pricing tit for tat they're looney. If Sony sees that people are willing to buy $50 controllers on the X360 they'd be stupid to sell for less than that since it just means losing profit.

Then again you can't always do the 1000yen = $10 deal or the ~7000yen price of PS2/X360 games would mean PS2/Xbox games were $70 in the US.

5000yen is complete BS for the controller though in actuality. PS2 controllers were 3000yen so $20 extra for motion-sensing? **** that, I'd rather them keep motion sensing out and save me $20 a controller. Also anyone who thinks the lack of PS2 controller ports wasn't an intentional design to reap profit as everyone buys millions of controllers at $50 a piece is living in a dream.

Very true. Besides, considering the amount of cash Sony's been spending and losing this past half decade, they've got to be bullish on any opportunity to make a profit they possibly can.

quadriplegicjon said:

Lol. That's kind of like saying that the highest tech packs the best value. There's a little something called balance.

Bezz

Banned
Woah, the prices are really good:D . I say they will charge a bit more for the controller, but guess what? I wont need batteries, nor an extra (20 dollars) charge kit. I just plug the USB and charge while I play. Amazing if you ask me

The memory card adapter seems to be riced at a very reasonable price, I would expect it to be 15 dollars in the State. It looks like Sony is very serious about backwards compatible, even with PS1 games (Twisted Metal and Crash games are the only thing I have left :()

The BR-DVD controller is kind of "meh", they could have added lights or a gloss finish, at least make it stand up from the competition. Im not going to buy it, since I probably will never use it.

This is a good surprise, keep them coming Sony:D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I wouldnt be surprised if we see somebody mod the ps3 remote to match the ps3 itself. Give it a clear coat perhaps? :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
if anyone thinks these prices will stand is kidding themselves. the controller will by $50, the memory card adapter will be $15. There's no way Sony would round the prices down (even if the yen price is WITH tax included) for the U.S. market.

any word on WHETHER YOU CAN USE A PS2 COPONENT CABLE ON ps3? I heard many people 'assume' you can, but hell who knows. The prices are better than I expected, so i'm farly happy. I'll likely grab a second controller.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
anybody catch this?
http://www.gamespot.com/events/ps3launch/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25030767
O yeah 1 more thing i didnt know, the guy running the demo part told me that anytihing bluetooth will werk on ps3, i asked about headsets for online play, and he told me if i had a cell phone, i said no, he said if i had a bluetooth headset for mu cell it would work on the ps3 also.
goddamn his english is horrible but is that confirmation of bluetooth cellphone headsets compatible with the ps3? I hope so cause that would save me some money. :)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I am very surprised they didn't announced this at their October event instead. It would have had a much bigger impact there. Especially with the first party prices at 6000Yen. Getting all this information now will put more pressure on the October event to deliver even more news. I guess they just have much bigger megatons come November that this news would have gone unnoticed...FF7 remake(a man can dream). 15 days left.

Remote control looks fine to me. Much better looking then the PS2 remote. Price is also fantastic for all peripherals. As for the SIXAXIS controller, when you consider the battery is internal and rechargeable, Bluetooth, motion sensing, and most likely includes the mini USB cable to plug into your system, is amazing they got the price this cheap even at 50$ in the US.

TheProfessor said:
I am very surprised they didn't announced this at their October event instead.

Their October event is based in the US, so that wouldn't be the place to announce Japanese game prices.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
SolidSnakex said:
Their October event is based in the US, so that wouldn't be the place to announce Japanese game prices.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but why not announce everything at the same time. We are living in a connected world afterall.

Well that's good to hear. I'd much rather have a bluetooth heasdset instead of a wired USB headset. But I'm waiting to see if Sony will release a official headset. If the price is good, I'd rather have that over a generic bluetooth headset.

TheProfessor said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but why not announce everything at the same time. We are living in a connected world afterall.

Who knows really. They might want to start spreading good news from now to the launch after the whole E3 issue.

Well i'm glad that FINALLY one of the 3 companies didn't screw up the accessory pricing

MS is by far the worst offender, but that $60 Wii controller wasn't much better.

I'm perfectly fine with a wireless, tilt enabled PS3 controller for $40.

StevieP

Banned
gketter said:
Well i'm glad that FINALLY one of the 3 companies didn't screw up the accessory pricing

MS is by far the worst offender, but that $60 Wii controller wasn't much better.

I'm perfectly fine with a wireless, tilt enabled PS3 controller for $40.

It will be $50. They will be matching MS' prices almost guaranteed.

Geoff9920

painful fart said:
If your universal remote does not have bluetooth it's not really universal is it?
You just have to buy a really universal remote with blutooth capability and trash the semi-universal remote that you have, so i't not really a problem. IR sucks anyway, with bluetooth you can hide your precious Playstation inside a cupboard so it's not exposed to all the dirt flying around in your living room. :)
Protip: Don't don't about stuff you obviously know nothing about.

Top Bottom