• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 in Europe on 23/3

Orobi

"We have been advised by a source seeking to remain nameless that
PlayStation 3 will "definitely launch in the UK on March 23 at £425".

Not April at £350. Not September at £400. March 23 at £425."

Source:EDGE on-line

Lock if old :)

Orobi said:

I HATE this number. If this news is true, how much is it in $ and CHF ?

llTll

Banned
Orobi said:

is 425 £ too much ?
is this the 60G PS3? also. another question. whats the price of 360 there?

Far too much, but I guess it'll work for them in the short term. They really shouldn't be that high with no game by Christmas, I expect 360 style add-ins and extras put in the mix.

Kabouter

Was already known a week or so ago. But yeah, 425 pounds for the UK. 500e/600e for most of the EU. UK only gets 60GB, rest of the EU obviously both 20GB and 60GB.

Pug

is 425 £ too much ?
is this the 60G PS3? also. another question. whats the price of 360 there?

Yes its very expensive, The 360 premium is 279.99 with a free game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

599 euro. Thats why its an odd number in £

Really though, dump the bloody 60GB and launch at £349

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
599€ are about 969 Franken - no idea if that's gonna be your retail price though.

cvxfreak

Aadil said:
£425 = $843.27
£425 = €648.25
£425 = ¥102,388.36

Man, seeing it relative to the Japanese price hurts.

Might as well just take a nice, enlightening and relaxing vacation to Japan or the United States and pick one up there on the side. You certainly would get far more for your money.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I think GAF's worked out that the price is relative to other electrical goods in the UK, so we don't need to mention this every time. Also the 360 is exceptionally cheap. Cheaper then a PS2 at launch, cheaper then an xbox at launch and has a lot more kit in the package. So Microsoft are definately pushing it out there at a loss, the Playstation 3 will have to be strong to compete at £150 price difference.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mood said:
Oh my. That will certainly kill an erection. Sorry euro friends

I've absolutely no doubt that EU will initially bend over and even hand the lube like with PSP, but further down the road once early adopters are satisfied it gets tough.

The spanish will buy it, that's for sure. The Uk is the market where sony should be worried, they could go from owning the market to being sidelined very quickly at that price.

£399 would have been much better. Maybe they are leaving themselves room to drop it by christmas?

llTll

Banned
Pug said:
Yes its very expensive, The 360 premium is 279.99 with a free game.

and sony is expeting to sell the system for that price ?
(o_O)

Good luck

its good system btw. i love it

reminder

Thanks to my pre-order i pay 599€ for the 60GB PS3 with one game. I think it's a good deal. Still expensive, but good. :)

Haunted

ChrisAllenFiz said:
The spanish will buy it, that's for sure. The Uk is the market where sony should be worried, they could go from owning the market to being sidelined very quickly at that price.

£399 would have been much better. Maybe they are leaving themselves room to drop it by christmas?
I'm very excited how my countrymen (Germans) will react to that price. I don't have high hopes for such a premium bundle, if only because the DS and budget-priced PS2 (with games like Singstar in the charts) are king here.

That's the day before my birthday, it would make a nice present. :D I definitely want one but at that price it might make sense to get one when I'm on holiday in the US.

maxmars

Okay, I'm waiting for a price drop OR my current Linux PC to break OR a few great games that I can't personally miss. I don't foresee either of these happening before 2008, though.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
If £425 ever turns out to be the real price...Sony can kiss goodbye to UK market dominance.

gth

Neo Member
The 60 GB will cost 900 CHF, the 20 GB will be 750 CHF.

pretty sure about that.

EDIT: read about these numbers before the launch was postponed, but I think it was stated by somebody from Sony Switzerland.

Rhindle

Well, this is going to be fun to watch.

On the one hand, Playstation has traditionally been an overwhelmingly dominant brand.

One the other hand, you have:

(1) The fact that Europeans are generally very price-sensitive.
(2) Months of anti-hype from the US launch.
(3) Continued very low HDTV penetration in most countries.

123rl

I don't understand why Sony aren't releasing the 20GB version in the UK.

Sigh...£425 means I have to tell every customer now why it's so expensive and what Blu-ray is, what 1080p means, and why it's added £100 to the cost of the machine. These are the same customers who thought the Xbox360 was tiny and said "how would you put a DVD in something that small?" after seeing a picture of one on a dummy box :lol

I like talking to customers who are interested in this stuff but most UK customers won't give a shit about it. It's far too expensive for the UK audience, I guarantee it. I'll stake my GAF account on that actually - within 12 months, the PS3 will have to drop price or it'll fail in the UK. Simple as that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'd say something about the price, but i fear Cloud might swear at me, so i'll say it's awesome!

123rl said:
I don't understand why Sony aren't releasing the 20GB version in the UK.

Sigh...£425 means I have to tell every customer now why it's so expensive and what Blu-ray is, what 1080p means, and why it's added £100 to the cost of the machine. These are the same customers who thought the Xbox360 was tiny and said "how would you put a DVD in something that small?" after seeing a picture of one on a dummy box :lol

I like talking to customers who are interested in this stuff but most UK customers won't give a shit about it. It's far too expensive for the UK audience, I guarantee it. I'll stake my GAF account on that actually - within 12 months, the PS3 will have to drop price or it'll fail in the UK. Simple as that.

I think Sony must know that. That £25 has to come off before the autumn. Then a bundled game for christmas. The 360 premium could be down to £230 with a game by christmas FFS.

Gee

Rhindle said:
Well, this is going to be fun to watch.

On the one hand, Playstation has traditionally been an overwhelmingly dominant brand.

One the other hand, you have:

(1) The fact that Europeans are generally very price-sensitive.
(2) Months of anti-hype from the US launch.
(3) Continued very low HDTV penetration in most countries.

yup, i'm gonna pick up a HDTV with a 360 or PS3. HDTV's are going to drop in price in a few months over here, but it's still a lot of money.

40" Bravia > ~2300E (the 1080p is around 2600€ atm iirc)
PS3 > ~600E

2 900 Euro = 3 762.17 U.S. dollars. So yes, i will wait for a little while longer..

cvxfreak

Seeing Nintendo uncharacteristically succeed in Europe should be enough to dismiss most prior notions Sony may have regarding the European market. Including crap like Europeans not caring about price. If they can afford to drop the price to fairer levels, they need to stop screwing around and do it now.

123rl

ChrisAllenFiz said:
I think Sony must know that. That £25 has to come off before the autumn. Then a bundled game for christmas. The 360 premium could be down to £230 with a game by christmas FFS.

The sad thing is that they probably do know it - just like they know that launch-day buyers will pay that much for it even if they were told there's a price drop in 6 months

Just a few weeks ago you could buy an Xbox360 with 3 games and a 2nd pad for £340 at Gamestation...at £50 a game and £30 for the pad that works out at about £160 for the machine (or £280 for the console and about £15 per game and £15 for the pad). I can't even imagine how cheap the 360 will be by Xmas and there is nothing to justify the extra cost compared to the PS3 to the average gamer

there is only one title that tempts me for the PS3 and that is singstar. If that only has old songs revamped for the PS3 i will not be interested.

i doubt i will buy a PS3 for a while especially at that insane price.

weve known about this price since e3 though...I mean its god damn expensive, but its been known for a year...why do people keep on acting like this is new news... the only surprise would be if the price was changed.

As for the other consoles the wii is expensive at £180 for what you get. The 360 isnt too bad at £279, though it has been out for a year now and isnt that cheap.

pfff, if you only get one console like me Ill just get the damn thing...I bought the ps2 about 6 years ago, and thought i might as well get another of these damn things...UK gets shafted in everything

peace

123rl said:
The sad thing is that they probably do know it - just like they know that launch-day buyers will pay that much for it even if they were told there's a price drop in 6 months

Just a few weeks ago you could buy an Xbox360 with 3 games and a 2nd pad for £340 at Gamestation...at £50 a game and £30 for the pad that works out at about £160 for the machine (or £280 for the console and about £15 per game and £15 for the pad). I can't even imagine how cheap the 360 will be by Xmas and there is nothing to justify the extra cost compared to the PS3 to the average gamer

Problem with alot of the deals is that alot come with rubbish games...the only attractive one Ive seen was £279 with gears...Alot of the stuff like fifa etc, I would never play. The Blue Dragon Bundle in Japan looked like a good one though

peace

Donnie

TheGreatDave said:
We have no friends.

In the UK PS3 costs the equivalent of $717 plus tax which is about 44% more expensive then the same product in the US.

Wii on the other hand costs $303 plus tax which is around 20% more expensive then the US.

Nintendo may not be our friends but there a hell of a lot more friendly then Sony..

123rl

True but Gamestation's £340 deal was with any 3 games so you could pick anything, as well as getting a free copy of PGR3 with the 2nd pad

Top Bottom