• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 in Europe on 23/3

cvxfreak

Blue Geezer said:
there is only one title that tempts me for the PS3 and that is singstar. If that only has old songs revamped for the PS3 i will not be interested.

i doubt i will buy a PS3 for a while especially at that insane price.

Unless you want boatloads of songs on Blu-Ray, I don't think any casual consumer needs a PS3 for Singstar. The PS2 should handle that just fine. Unless Singstar has some processor intensive characterisitic to it I don't know about.

LJ11

Sony's going to make a killing on currency conversion. They are practically selling it at cost in those territories. It's going to come back and bite them in the ass at some point.

gth

Neo Member
Blue Geezer said:
there is only one title that tempts me for the PS3 and that is singstar. If that only has old songs revamped for the PS3 i will not be interested.

You can choose your own titles from the PlayStation Store. Of course you will pay, but that way you can get only the songs you are intrested in.

here are some pictures of the "Sing Store"
here 1
here 2

Aadil

Banned
LJ11 said:
Sony's going to make a killing on currency conversion. They are practically selling it at cost in those territories. It's going to come back and bite them in the ass at some point.

But you do have to remember the 17.5% tax in the UK, which would be included in the £425 price.

Prine

Banned
its not gonna sell at that price. £300 yes, but not over. Not as expensive as Saturn though... £500 :lol :lol

in 95, that was ALOT of money

LJ11

Aadil said:
But you do have to remember the 17.5% tax in the UK, which would be included in the £425 price.

True, but they are stilling cashing in an extra $100 relative to US prices.

gth

Neo Member
btw, threespeech says
LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT DELAYED…

…But don’t worry - that doesn’t mean the launch itself is being delayed! Word from Sony is they’re still finalising a few details, meaning the announcement is more likely to be made Thursday or Friday of this week now. (And we’re sticking with the previously mooted March 23 launch date as 99% certain!)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cvxfreak said:
Unless you want boatloads of songs on Blu-Ray, I don't think any casual consumer needs a PS3 for Singstar. The PS2 should handle that just fine. Unless Singstar has some processor intensive characterisitic to it I don't know about.

It has the playstation store, which the ps2 versions unfortunately don't have. To take it to an extreme, selling a disc with just the software and no music, but with credit to buy your own choice of songs, might seem ridiculous from a blu-ray advocacy point of view, but it's an attractive model (IMO) that the PS2 isn't offering. If they put a lot of content up on the store for it, then that'll definitely be the best and most personalised singstar experience, assuming the pricing is right.

8bit

Knows the Score
gth said:
The 60 GB will cost 900 CHF, the 20 GB will be 750 CHF.

pretty sure about that.

EDIT: read about these numbers before the launch was postponed, but I think it was stated by somebody from Sony Switzerland.

€599 = 970 CHF
£425 = 1,050 CHF

That is quite a difference. Poor bumrape island.

Deku said:
OT what does it mean when you call someone a chav?

A chav is a member of the underclass that generally acquires items via theft.

http://www.chavscum.co.uk

mendtila9ce.jpg

Petrarca

Banned
But Europeans are stinkin rich. The government pays many of the basic needs, health, education, etc. Yo'all should have enough money to spend on PS3

:D

Miburou

Donnie said:
In the UK PS3 costs the equivalent of $717 plus tax which is about 44% more expensive then the same product in the US.

Wii on the other hand costs $303 plus tax which is around 20% more expensive then the US.

Nintendo may not be our friends but there a hell of a lot more friendly then Sony..

Unless I'm mistaken, the PS3 in the UK is the 60GB version, which is $600 in the US, so that's the same 20% premium as the Wii.

£425 is an exceptionally competitive and reasonable price. The PS3 is next gen, and at such a crazy price i have no doubt that they'll sell out instantly.
It seems the only people whining about the price are those that have no intention in buying this marvelous product even if it were selling at £199.

Steroyd

Xellotah said:
Any ideas on what the launch line-up will likely be?

If all goes to plan Formula 1, Motorstorm, Resistance, VF5, VT3 and God of War II.

If things go exceptionally well in Sony's direction then Heavenly Sword, Oblivion, FEAR, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, R6 Las Vegas, Blazing Angels will be there at launch also.

glaurung

I really like SingStar and I will most definitely buy PS3 as soon as I can (I suspect that it will arrive here a few days later than the 23rd of March).

Concerning SingStar I just remembered that I had these outtakes from the Official XBOX 360 magazin (UK edition) where they bash PS3 for its games. Happy reading.

# It’s not £425. It’s £280. Which, thanks to Sony’s blundering PlayStation 3 scheme, suddenly looks amazingly cheap for a kick-arse gaming system. Thanks, Sony! You’ve handed it to Microsoft on a plate this Christmas! You can almost hear the clinking of champagne glasses in Microsoft’s HQ from here. (OXM12, p. 22)

# Can you imagine playing Halo 3 on Nintendo’s stupid wavy wand thing? Is there anyone left who still favours Sony’s ridiculously wobbly analogue sticks for playing driving games? (OXM12, p. 22)

# Meanwhile, poor old Sony and Nintendo are hurriedly cobbling together all their-half-finished ideas for a pre-Christmas launch. Bows and arrows against the lightning. (OXM12, p. 22)

# XBOX 360 has a normal name. Can you picture a 17-year-old pikey parking up his Vauxhall Corsa illegally on the kerb outside GAME, then strolling in asking the shop assistant if he can ´Have a Wii´? That’s just not going to happen. XBOX 360 sounds like a MAN’S console. You can tell people you own one without having to explain what it is. (OXM12, p. 23)

# The chances of Gears of War appearing on a Nintendo or Sony console are about the same as sexy female aliens launching an invasion of Earth, declaring you king of planet KissyKiss and giving you a freedom pass with no expiry date. (OXM12, p. 23)

# The chances of Bungie making a version (Halo 3) for a Nintendo or Sony console are about the same as the chances of Cheryl Tweedy appearing out of thin air, handing you a cheque for a million pounds and telling you it’s alright for you to touch her wherever you like, and if you do it well she’ll give you another million pounds. (OXM12, p. 23)

# PLAYSTATION 3. This will launch with Singstar, which is a game for girls. But girls don’t spend £425 on videogame consoles, do they? So the only people buying PS3 will be men who buy anything that’s new. It’ll sell out, but only because the machine’s too hard for Sony to make more than 50 at one. CHANCES OF SUCCESS: 3/10 (OXM12, p. 23)

# NINTENDO Wii. Kids will ask for this for Christmas, as will everyone who gets excited about Nintendo. Nintendo will reward this loyalty by releasing one good game a year for the next four years while all the other companies will release poor versions of their XBOX and PlayStation 2 games. CHANCES OF SUCCESS: 4/10 (OXM12, p. 23)

# Unofficially, this is clearly recognition of the fact that PS3 is unlikely to launch here in significant quantities until well into 2007, thanks to Sony’s problems manufacturing the complex and expensive ´super´ computer. … the poor Sony fans are facing the prospect of laying down £500 to play, er, Warhawk and whatever kind of game Resistance: Fall of Man turns out to be. (OXM12, p. 27)

# So many of the crucial next-generation games are now coming to both PS3 and XB360 there seems little point in owning Sony’s lumbering machine. Unless, of course, you like the idea of spending nearly 500 quid to play Singstar and Formula One. (OXM12, lk 27)
# Game Convention Leipzig: You’ll also be able to laugh at how few games PSP has too. (OXM11, p. 44)

# In keeping the HD-DVD drive optional, Microsoft is demonstrating that XBOX 360 is a games machine primarily – and not some hodge-podge movie-playing thing like PlayStation 3. (OXM11, p. 46)

# XBOX Live is for us special people, not for you PS3 lot. (OXM10, p. 107)

Oh, and the new TMNT movie comes out on the 23rd as well.

Pikelet

£425 is an exceptionally competitive and reasonable price. The PS3 is next gen, and at such a crazy price i have no doubt that they'll sell out instantly.
It seems the only people whining about the price are those that have no intention in buying this marvelous product even if it were selling at £199.

pleasebesarcasmpleasebesarcasm

Kabouter

Petrarca said:
But Europeans are stinkin rich. The government pays many of the basic needs, health, education, etc. Yo'all should have enough money to spend on PS3

:D

We would be rich yeah...
If we didn't have to pay a ton in taxes (partly to subsidize French ****ing farmers who should have moved way east YEARS ago or should have started working more efficiently)

morph

Banned
CurlySaysX said:

ladies and gentlemen, Mr.Saysgo.

the man has sony underwear on. right.. now...

Steroyd

Pug said:
glaurung, The Official 360 magazine slagging off the PS3, shocking.

Not just PS3 but the wii as well....

So erm... what does that have to do with the projected PS3 price and launch date?

SpokkX

Aadil said:
£425, almost a whole months rent for me, damn student pocket...

Almost? its 30% more than my rent and I live in a nice, large apartment...

The price in sweden will be 7000kr i fear :(

glaurung

Steroyd said:
Not just PS3 but the wii as well....

So erm... what does that have to do with the projected PS3 price and launch date?

Nothing, I guess, just wanted to show some of the xbots' love towards competitors and what SingStar is thought to be.

Kabouter said:
We would be rich yeah...
If we didn't have to pay a ton in taxes (partly to subsidize French ****ing farmers who should have moved way east YEARS ago or should have started working more efficiently)

Amen. It's true that quite a few of our needs are met by the government such as health care (which is going downhill here btw) and education, but the money to pay for that has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is a scary little place called 'taxes'. Such as a VAT rate (here in the Netherlands) of 19%

Petrarca

Banned
Richardfun said:
Amen. It's true that quite a few of our needs are met by the government such as health care (which is going downhill here btw) and education, but the money to pay for that has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is a scary little place called 'taxes'. Such as a VAT rate (here in the Netherlands) of 19%

well consider this, most of North American college students graduate with debt, average $10k-20K. Some with $30K-40K.

123rl said:
I'll stake my GAF account on that actually - within 12 months, the PS3 will have to drop price or it'll fail in the UK. Simple as that.

Come on man, don't most consoles drop in price within 12 months or so. Make it interesting, the xbox dropped price in Britain in under a month, it was viewed as too expensive, surely the PS3 will have to drop in that sort of timescale?

glaurung said:
I really like SingStar and I will most definitely buy PS3 as soon as I can (I suspect that it will arrive here a few days later than the 23rd of March).
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to SingStar with PSN. If the prices for the songs are reasonable and we get wireless microphones I'm all set :) .

Aadil

Banned
travisbickle said:
Come on man, don't most consoles drop in price within 12 months or so. Make it interesting, the xbox dropped price in Britain in under a month, it was viewed as too expensive, surely the PS3 will have to drop in that sort of timescale?

Microsoft could afford to drop the XBOX price as quick as they did, they also wanted to gain market share rapidly for their new franchise.

Sony will have to drop its price also but they don't have the endless millions Microsoft have to back their console. Only time will tell...

Xellotah

travisbickle said:

PSP says HI?

bovo

Roders5 said:
Maybe, just maybe, I ****ing hate chavs.

Something that always annoys me about comments like you previously made - the Playstation brand has (in the past at least) been popular with every group of people ('chavs' included). If/when another brand becomes the most popular, will that suddenly become the 'chaviest'? Maybe you can start making jokes about stealing them next...

123rl

travisbickle said:

Xbox360 hasn't dropped in price yet (well the Core dropped £10 but the Core doesn't count)

PSP - no price drop after 18 months but packages have got a lot better

DS/DS Lite - no price drop at all

Ok then, I agree that 12 months is too lenient. But it'll either drop very quickly (within 2 months) or it will drop after Xmas (9 months). And there's no point dropping the price when it'll be sold out everywhere for at least 3 months after launch. So that brings it up to Summer. It's a gaming drought, so it might happen then (unlikely though). Sony would never drop the price before Xmas though so I'm stuck saying within 12 months. It'll happen between January and March 2008, IMO, once stock is easy to find and there's more choice of games

Aadil

Banned
123rl said:
Xbox360 hasn't dropped in price yet (well the Core dropped £10 but the Core doesn't count)

PSP - no price drop after 18 months but packages have got a lot better

DS/DS Lite - no price drop at all

PSP dropped from £180 to £150, DSPhat dropped to £90 from £100.

Kabouter said:
We would be rich yeah...
UK gets a rebate and recives a lot more money from the European Regional Development Fund that France does. Though, most of the money from that fund now goes to the 10 new countries of the Union. I still think UK is a net payer to the EU though.

/off-topic

I actually am kind of surprised by the March launch. Going by the situation Sony was in before the PS3 launched, I thought it's release would be delayed even more to September or something. But they've managed to get production up really quick (+ the lesser than expected demand), which gives them the opportunity to launch in Europa rather quickly (but that's all relative off course...).

Kabouter

Souldriver said:
UK gets a rebate and recives a lot more money from the European Regional Development Fund that France does. Though, most of the money from that fund now goes to the 10 new countries of the Union. I still think UK is a net payer to the EU though.
I don't live in the UK.
I'm from the Netherlands, the highest net contributer per capita.
And I'm fine with subsidizing development of new members, I'm not fine with subsidizing farms that just aren't viable.

/offtopic

Sony seems to have overcome their production difficulties, stocks both in the US and Japan indicate this. So I'm not at all surprised they believe they can launch in march.

Pug

Code:
360 now has bundles that come with a game for the same price, which is an effective drop.

The shops are taking the hit on the game not Microsoft, they have nothing to do with the bundles. From the shops persective its a no brainer really, we give you a game free but how this game, that game as well and how about an extra controller etc etc.

Pug

And I'm fine with subsidizing development of new members, I'm not fine with subsidizing farms that just aren't viable.

Kabouter around 46% of all taxes in the EU go the CAP. And yes I totally agree the sooner farmers are made to stand on there own two feet the better it will be for us all. Shame this off topic really.

Pug said:
Code:
360 now has bundles that come with a game for the same price, which is an effective drop.

The shops are taking the hit on the game not Microsoft, they have nothing to do with the bundles. From the shops persective its a no brainer really, we give you a game free but how this game, that game as well and how about an extra controller etc etc.

Err. Before christmas there were MS bundles, with PES6 etc.

Also a family bundle with an extra controller, PGR3 and arcade. Again from MS

nelsonroyale said:
most of the bundles over here arent great though...is there a lost planet bundle?

peace

There is one, saw in a store today. Looked official. Can't find a picture online though.

I guess PS3 will be priced at CHF 899.--, electronic devices are usually cheaper here in Switzerland than in the rest of Europe.

Taurus

CurlySaysX said:
Dude that's just awesome! :lol :lol :lol

You had us all with that one... Saved my day, thx. :)

P.s Just to make sure... You were kidding, right? I just noticed you used word "marvelous" with PS3. ARE YOU Phil Harrison!? :O

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
bovo said:
Something that always annoys me about comments like you previously made - the Playstation brand has (in the past at least) been popular with every group of people ('chavs' included). If/when another brand becomes the most popular, will that suddenly become the 'chaviest'? Maybe you can start making jokes about stealing them next...
Nothing against playstation, but it's more about how the chavs will only buy playstation because it's 'cool' and there's blood and guns etc. Anything else they just slag off. They're the reason why shit games are always no.1 (FIFA for example, over pro evo).

Kabouter said:
I don't live in the UK.
I'm from the Netherlands, the highest net contributer per capita.

/offtopic
Nope that would be Luxemburg.
France and GB are almost equal and at the low end of the net paying countries.
The real outrage are not France or GB, it's Ireland and Spain, Portugal and Greece, who have a gross domestic product almost equal to the net payers (in Ireland's case even more) and still get paid shitloads of money from the EU. But for no apparant reason no one takes notice.
/offtopic

Roders5 said:
Maybe, just maybe, I ****ing hate chavs.
Move to Japan! Not only have I eliminated Chavs from my life, but I bought a brand new PS3 for £226 (54999yen tax inc). I am in awe of Sony's (and I guess everyone's) pricing discrepancies, again.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mood said:
Oh my. That will certainly kill an erection. Sorry euro friends

Funny thing is, I know a guy (whom I still have in my buddy list on MSN, just in case :D) who's always like "But Sony's making efforts in Europe, they care about us". No wonder why we get such prices afterwards. Bah, I guess I can't blame him particularly, he's worked for Sony or something... :)

Top Bottom