• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Slim Ugliest Console Ever or NeoGaf just being NeoGaf?

Don't really see the hideousness that other are seeing. Well the white colored one looks kinda ugly but thats mostly because of the tone of the colour. Seems off and unbalanced.

Looks on my consoles are not that high on my priorities though.

TheD

The Detective
The disc drive door not only looks cheap, it sounds very cheap too.

I would place money on the door breaking or jamming in a lot of units.

feel

Didn't even know there was a new one coming out. Yeah, that thing is hideous, at least from the photos.

The ridges were a poor design decision because they are still trying to harken back to the PS2 days. Its a bad idea to begin with to model it after PS2, as the PS2 didn't model its design after PS1. PS3 should have been a completely original design from the start, instead of aping some of the characteristics from PS2.

With a smooth top it would be completely fine and acceptable for a super slim PS3. As soon as you add the ridges it looks cheap suddenly. Retro in a bad way. Regardless, I dont think it looks flat out BAD at all. Just weak considering we know Sony has design talent they obviously are wasting.

LQX

If only they did not put those terrible lines on top of it. That alone drastically changes how it looks.

omonimo

Banned
How is this a "slim"?

It looks as huge as before judging from that last pic.

My penis too seems incredible huge in the pic what's the point? & slim not means tiny. Anyway I think the front mask it's incredible horrible, the rest not, I don't understand why sony hasn't used the raw plastic of the previous slim.

5amshift

Banned
It's honestly not that ugly if it wasn't for those lines. I was waiting for this to release, but I guess now if I can find an original slim, I'll pick that model up since I'm in the market for a new PS3.

i like it
i like the retro feel it has and the fact that it's a top loader.
if i could trade one against my current slim, i would.

I was actually surprised to see that GAF seems to dislike the new PS3 so much (and also that GAF loves the PS2 design so much - i hate it, even the logo was horrible imho)

wrowa

I think it's a step up from the old Slim design. That one was definitely a contender for the ugliest console ever...

Edit: On the other hand, while it looks pretty nice in the press pictures the "live" pictures are pretty bad. This one in particular doesn't paint a very favorable picture...

LJ11

If you remove the matte finish and ridges it'd look pretty good, it's that middle area that kills it. Get rid of the ridges and apply the glossy finish to the entire console, would be a lot better.

not really. it looks pretty small.
ibsVcKX3gO4yFp.jpg

Ah, OK. I stand corrected.

The original XBox is still the ugliest console I've ever seen in my life. Someone brought up the SNES earlier in this thread. The SNES had an excuse at least - it was released at a time when people still thought of video games as toys so it was made to look like a toy - not a piece of consumer electronics.

The Xbox on the other hand...Christ, nothing about it comes off as appealing.

iammeiam

It's not just the ugliness, the ridges make it look somehow cheaper than the slim (sliding top for maximum cheapness compared to a slot-load drive.) But it's not cheaper, so it just looks like a downgrade.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the best looking machine but I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Sean

Banned
It looks really awful, especially those ridges on the top which make it seem like some kind of cheap Chinese knockoff.

hachi

Banned
It just strikes me as a bit too proud of its tech, unwilling to gracefully take a low profile in your entertainment center, shouting its credentials as a gamer machine. That's fine I suppose, but certainly not what I expect from a "slim" model.

apana

I like the old PS3 slim because you can put nice artwork on the top. Sony consoles have never been that good looking to me and this one in particular is kind of......ugh. I like the look of the Wii, Wii U, and Xbox 360 slim.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks on par for the course, to be honest. Nothing too ugly, but not particularly sexy either. Sony hasn't really designed a good looking home console since the original PS1.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
It's terrible just like the previous two iterations of the PS3. It's almost admirable in a way that they stubbornly tripled-down on the convex design, though.

JayDub

I think it looks great. The first PS3 redesign made it look like a big heap of cheap plastic. This brings it up a class. And I always hated slot loading drives.

White for me (release that in the US PLEASE!)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ugliest?
iqnIDH7ntpnsH.png

Nothing comes close to that garish, ungainly monstrosity. Every box up there looks like a work of art in comparison.

Where were you supposed to put it?

Banned
I don't like the lines on the top. I think the regular ps3 slim is the most curvy and sexy looking thing ever.

1. PS3 Slim
2. PSOne Slim
3. PS2 Slim
4. Wii
5. GameCube

My opinion. I like symmetrical, curvy, stylized consoles that don't look like large vcr's or boxes.

The grill effect is horrid and nasty to clean, added to the fact is looks very cheap and plastic.

Ugly!

The white one does look marginally better however.

cRIPticon

This is one of the worst designs in recent history. It's absolutely hideous.

I mean look at this. How can you tell me this doens't look like a cheap plastic knock-off delivered straight to your front door from China?

Like this? Oh, wait....

x018LST20B-o_withremote2.jpeg

The new design is quite nice as it looks more like a media component than game console.

EDIT:

I'm glad they fixed the most blatant design problem of the phat:

igE46cfoJfoC4.jpg

Now 100% healthier.

Oh, hHhahahaHAAHHAA! I get it, because the top has ridges like a grill and you use a grill to cook things like steaks on them. So, a steak on the console because a...wait a drip tray too!?!? Oh like the George Foreman Grill has, because it too has ridges and you cook steak and hamburgers on it. Oh, I see! Now THAT is really funny! Can't believe I have never noticed that.

Thanks you for this amazing demonstration of Photoshop skills. :D

Top Bottom