• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Slim Ugliest Console Ever or NeoGaf just being NeoGaf?

Erebus

Yeah it's almost as ugly as PS2 Fat.

No.

10-PlayStation-2-games-you-MUST-own.jpg

I like the look of it more than I did the previous two designs or the two PS2 designs. But I don't like the look of any of those. The original PS2 is especially ugly. I'll never understand why they make the base smaller than the top on one side.

Dunlop

I have obviously been living under a rock as I didn't even know there was a new model coming out.

They are not lowering the price?!?!? What could be the possible strategy behind this?

hertog

I like it.
For me this is an ugly console:

Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System-USA.jpg

and this a beautiful console:

dreamcast_1.jpeg

The new ps3 is just fine... like the original slim ps3 better though.

Doesn't look that bad to me. Don't like the ridges at all though, and the disc tray is pretty cheap, but it's a pretty low priority for me when it comes to consoles. The decrease in size is well appreciated too, but the price increase....I don't get it.

DynamicG

It's not the worst console to me, but I do not find it aesthetically pleasing. The corrugated part on the front seems unnecessary and doesn't appeal to me.

I'm glad I didn't wait for this version.

Actually, looking at more photos and the unboxing, it looks pretty decent. Not sure I like the idea of a sliding lid, top loading based console but it looks kind of unique. I appreciate that Sony is trying something a little different. Yes, it does look a bit cheaper but it still looks decent all things considered. The white one is really, really nice though.

I think the most amazing thing out of all of this is the size... that thing is tiny compared to the original PS3 Slim. However, I'd certainly go and buy an original PS3 Slim over this, but I wouldn't hate myself for having to get this. The original PS3 however is still one of the nicest consoles I've ever seen. I can't wait to see the PS4.

As I said in the other topic, the white system is tolerable and I wouldn't care if I had to replace my slim with it - but unsurprisingly it is Japan exclusive.

The black system is horrible however, corrugated plastic should be left in the 70s where it belongs. It wouldn't have cost much more per unit to go for regular flat matte or glossy plastic for that section and it wouldn't make potential customers feel that is a cheap (hah) cost cutting model.

The thing is, it'd be acceptable if the obvious cost cutting were passed on to the customer so that we are looking at a £149 160gb PS3 for the Christmas season, but 12gb for only £20 less than the current 120gb is an insult.

jbartee

To me The ridges give off a distinctive 70/80s vibe, which in itself isn't a terrible thing, but because the rest of it is shiny and smooth it just doesn't work.

It looks like a cheap knockoff of an 80s Bang & Olufsen, and those have some sentimental value. I know 80s is retro chic now, but this is retro sans the chic, it's like it literally could've come out then, without the contemporary knowledge of design and production materials. As such it's probably not the ugliest, stuff like Turbografx are probably uglier on face value. But it's definitely the ugliest piece of shit when looked at the timeframe of release.

laser tag prop.

Above quotes pretty much nail it for me. There's bad taste and then there's this. Doubly shocking coming from Sony, whose industrial design I usually hold in extremely high regard.

And so soon after the iPhone 5 reveal, which I also think is a relative downgrade from the 4/4S in terms of pure design, and in a similar vein too (ugly 80's / 90's two-tone texturing, huge speaker grills relative to the size of the device, etc).

Heartbreaking couple of weeks for design.

ironcreed

Banned
It would not be fun cleaning dust out of those grooves, not to mention how easy it will be to get dirt in in the disk drive with that slide top. Obviously they wanted to go the cheap route, but at this price with the Wii U about to drop?

Sony home console redesigns are always ugly. PSOne, PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim and now this.
Gravy, I swear you're my nemesis. The anti-me. PSOne and PS3 slim were good. PS2 slim was alright-ish even if dull. I wouldn't pick up the originals of those consoles over the redesigns.

Fonz72

The white is the seks.
The black is pretty nice.
If the white comes to the US I may close this generation out with a black Nintendo and a White PS3!

Is it me or does it look like the media tray door is supposed to slide to the left to open?

SeriousApes

It looks okay to me. I like the current PS3 slim. The original PS3 was pretty ugly looking to me. It was just a big shiny hunk of plastic with weird angles. Not what I'd call elegant and classy, like how some would describe it.

Gaogaogao

I would be more ok with the top loading console if it was cheaper, but it looks like im paying the same for less. also the ridges should be perpendicular if you have to push it forward.

Fruitster

It's not a looker that's for sure. It bothers me more though in that it looks cheap and tacky. The old fattie PS3 is still the best designed imo.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
It's a sexy old fashioned console.

Sony would have probably gotten another purchase out of me if they had made this console look just like it does, but without that cheap plastic slot loading top on it. I would have bought it purely because I think it's cool how small it is, but that's not happening now.

How their designers thought this looked great is beyond me. The original PS3 revision was mediocre at best IMO, and then this comes along and looks good, except for one big thing.

Sony just makes me shake my head so often it's sad. They always get things close, but then just fail in the end. I hope they get some smarter people in place soon, before the entire company just goes over the cliff.

theDeeDubs

It's actually my favorite of the PS3 models, especially after seeing the unboxing and the pic comparing it with the current slim. I've always hated how deep it was. I am not a fan of manual loading though. I don't like having to handle the disc when pushing it on to the spindle(whatever it's called).

therapist

Aside from handhelds ive always found playstation consoles to be FUGLY.

The OG ps3 is the best looking imo , this one is not that bad but meh.

Who cares really tho...no one buys consoles for how they look...right? (Other than possibly a color they want)

RPGCrazied

I think its ugly. What is with all those rigids? And I still don't know if its an open top to put in a disc. I hate that. Leaves the laser exposed.

Saw it, not interested. If my PS3 dies. I sure hope for the PS4 to be backwards compatible, or I find an original slim, if I can't find those no more, I guess I won't be able to play PS3 games anymore.

Top Bottom