• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Slim Ugliest Console Ever or NeoGaf just being NeoGaf?

I like it, but I'm too OCD for that design, I'd be in there with a Q-tip every week cleaning out every one of those grooves. It's nice, but not for me.

Sony just could have made it like this, then you could stack the PS2 on top and maybe the PS4 beneath it:

psx-1z7r-640.jpg

psxSony-TQ.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
It looks like a cheap knockoff of an 80s Bang & Olufsen, and those have some sentimental value. I know 80s is retro chic now, but this is retro sans the chic, it's like it literally could've come out then, without the contemporary knowledge of design and production materials. As such it's probably not the ugliest, stuff like Turbografx are probably uglier on face value. But it's definitely the ugliest piece of shit when looked at the timeframe of release.

Acosta

So-so. No the ugliest, that's for sure but I prefer the slim (and I dislike it compared with the beauty of the original PS3).

It would look way better with a flat surface.

PrimeRib_

It looks like a 6th grade science project, made out of corrugated cardboard. It's as if Sony engineered this thing purposefully to show off dust.

Sony's capable of sexy designs. This, however, is an abomination.

Harlock

Sony, MS and Nintendo are leaving money on the table not releasing a wood panel limited edition of your consoles.

Ya, what the fuck. It's just going to sit underneath your TV and build up dust anyway.

Who the hell are you showing this thing off to?

Bottom Line: IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER

Correct as long as it is quieter, I don't care....Plus I have always wanted a white PS3.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll get it. It's a gaming system, not my girlfriend. Who gives a shit if it is ugly.

Why are you getting this when it's more expensive than the current slim and the current slim has been available for years at this price point?

Correct as long as it is quieter, I don't care....Plus I have always wanted a white PS3.

Do you not realize what you're saying? "I don't care what it looks like. I'm happy it's white."

It's not the prettiest thing (prefer the current slim over it), but it's not horrible.
GAF tends to hyperbolize many things. This is no exception.

TheExodu5

Banned
My slim has been near-silent compared to my launch fat PS3.

The fan is silent. The disc drive is loud. If you're far enough away or have something in between you and the system it's not a big deal, but with the slim 2-3 feet from my ears, it was far too loud for my tastes. It's the laser mechanism moving back and forth intermittently in certain games that's quite obnoxious. Apparently some slims are louder than others though...they've used different disc drives over the years.

Once more, I don't get the reaction to this.

It's not the most perfect design ever, but looks good enough, and for my eyes better than the slim v1 (which everybody hated here as well on first sight back in 2009).

antitrop

I still have my big-ass PS2 compatible launch PS3 in proper working order.
The thing is a God damn beast of mass. It takes up so much fucking space.

I see no reason to every buy a slim model until this one dies, though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's like the complete opposite of the phatboy, which looked expensive and elegant. This looks horrible and cheap.

iDblBldpNSotC.gif

Meier

It's pretty terrible, especially when you look at it from this angle.. good lord.

I don't know if it's the ugliest when comparing directly across the years, but as time progresses, you expect more elegance in design. This has none.

PS3 Slim Unboxing
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/19/ps3-super-slim-unboxing

It looks better to me in video form I like it.

I get that you love everything Sony, but that video did not do the new slim any favors. The plasticy cheap sound of the drive bay opening...ugh, so terrible. And the corrugated top is just atrocious. The only upside is that it's less deep and slightly less wide, and a little lighter, but was anyone really complaining about the size and weight of the first slim?

It looks like a DVD player you might get at a bank for opening a checking account.

antitrop

It's pretty terrible, especially when you look at it from this angle.. good lord.

I don't know if it's the ugliest when comparing directly across the years, but as time progresses, you expect more elegance in design. This has none.
That is not very pleasing to the eye.

Top Bottom