• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Software Engineers speaking about how they got to 1.80 and whats beyond

Endo

These utilities are better than nothing, but requiring games to provide memory for them is less than optimal.

Dragona Akehi said:
Guys, think we can have some ****ing .AVI support? It's kinda silly that I can encode the same data with the same codec, but if it's an unholy .AVI container it's "not supported".

Change the container? If the video and audio are playable on the PS3 then just remux them into an MP4 with MP4Box or something.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Endo said:
I notice they don't mention the system utility memory cost for music in 180. There is one.

Up to the devs to utilize it... and then magically dig up the many megabytes of memory to be released to the system whenever it needs to be active.

The PS3 doesn't give a lot of these system utilities for cheap. (Friendslist, I'm looking at you!)

I'm apparently missing the point you're trying to make....

patsu

kaching said:
Easily solved by assigning one button on the sixaxis or the remote for "random play all" so the PS3 immediately jumps to the music section upon powerup and starts playing the music library on shuffle. And then the user can use L1/R1 as normal to skip tracks. TV not required.

Give the PS3 some personality. Use a voice interface when monitor is off. Input can be voice, SIXAXIS, controller or mouse. :p

Zoe

kaching said:
Easily solved by assigning one button on the sixaxis or the remote for "random play all" so the PS3 immediately jumps to the music section upon powerup and starts playing the music library on shuffle. And then the user can use L1/R1 as normal to skip tracks. TV not required.

That's assuming that most users have the systems hooked up to a receiver. I don't think that's an assumption you can make for the average user...

PowerSmell said:
What what?

Mainichi Issho has already integrated this.

K1
The scary thing about the PS3 is that we can continue to add updates as long as there is space on the HDD (laugh)
We won't stop though, since adding new functionality is a lot of fun. We really enjoy getting feedback from the customers, and finding thing we really didn't think of.

Some really good info there!

It's good to see they're paying attention to what the userbase is saying.

Kinan said:
Confirmed by Cheesemeister. :(

I'm shipping my PS3 to a friend in Gifu-ken, Japan on Saturday, who's agreed to relay it to SCEJ in Chiba-ken and back to me. I'll be paying $37 to ship it there and $95 back, a total of $132. This will bring the total cost of my 20GB PS3 to $562. It's still cheaper than the $150 SCEA was going to charge for an out-of-warranty repair...

T_T

Aisenherz

Banned
Q. The biggest problem with the use of remote play right now is that the PS3 has to remain turned on when you leave the house. Is there a solution to this?

A. Wait and see (laugh).
Ooooh you have NO idea :)

Brofist

Cheesemeister said:
I'm shipping my PS3 to a friend in Gifu-ken, Japan on Saturday, who's agreed to relay it to SCEJ in Chiba-ken and back to me. I'll be paying $37 to ship it there and $95 back, a total of $132. This will bring the total cost of my 20GB PS3 to $562. It's still cheaper than the $150 SCEA was going to charge for an out-of-warranty repair...

T_T

Just wondering, why is it an out of warranty repair? Technically you were using an application that is meant to be run over long periods (not as long as you did but).

spwolf

i think it is pretty cool that these guys are trying to get the best result possible - like upscaling, which was late because they wanted to do it really good and they did... and now they can improve it 30-40%.... that will make it the best upscaling player, ever.

Same as with the story at launch, on how the main software engineer for BR playback re-wrote the engine 2 times to get the best performance (and it took him 2 years), and how they continually add support for more stuff (BTB, WTW).

It just seems that they didnt set some ordinary limits on what they have to do and move on - they are free to do best they can.

As I wrote several times before, even though PS3 is an game console, it is so powerful, that if they wanted, they could make it bestest everything they can imagine, simply because power is there - and these guys confirm it saying how it does things better than 10x more expensive receivers simply because there is so much power behind it.

UltraMagnanimous said:
When people say AVI do they really mean Xvid & DivX support? :p

Are there any groups who release in formats readable by 360/PS3 - theres bound to be demand for it by now?*

*Ignore this question if it's against the rules to talk about such things.

DIVX codec works, it's what I encode my shit in. It just doesn't read it as a ****ing .AVI, but reads MP4s juuuust fine.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is anyone else noticing that the ps3's bd downscaling to 720p kind of...sucks? i saw some vague moire effects and jaggies in areas of high detail, and decided to take a look at the test screens included in sony bds -- there's a detail test with lots of very fine lines, and when my ps3 is downscaling to 720p, i get a ton of flickering. which i don't get when i let my tv deinterlace from 1080i, though my tv is one of the relative few that handles 1080i film sources properly. if there is an issue here and it's not some quirk in my setup, i hope they'll address it soon.

Greg said:
I never understood the excitement over custom soundtracks.

When I play a racing game, I want to hear the engine, not some shitty music. Swap that shitty music to music that I enjoy, and I still just want to hear the engine.

Unless it's a God of War/MGS kind of music, I don't care to hear it. As a matter of fact, that's one of the first things I change when I start a brand new game - crank that shit down to 0.
and you can continue to do that, and nothing changes, but the people who DO want it are screwed.

Crisis

Banned
drohne said:
is anyone else noticing that the ps3's bd downscaling to 720p kind of...sucks? i saw some vague moire effects and jaggies in areas of high detail, and decided to take a look at the test screens included in sony bds -- there's a detail test with lots of very fine lines, and when my ps3 is downscaling to 720p, i get a ton of flickering. which i don't get when i let my tv deinterlace from 1080i, though my tv is one of the relative few that handles 1080i film sources properly. if there is an issue here and it's not some quirk in my setup, i hope they'll address it soon.

I'm no HD expert but it sounds like a quirk in your setup. I'm playing BD in 720p, and I don't have any problems.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
look at that test screen if you've got any sony bds -- hit '7669' and then 'enter' on the main menu. i found at least one person on avs who's seeing the same thing as me, and my 1366x768 bravia doesn't generally have issues with 720p sources. i want to do some more testing, but it looks like 1080i produces better results for me.

Question:
Linking to games, the 360 has a feature to allow music in the HDD and network to be played back as game BGM.

Kanehide:
PS3 already has such function in the system software. It is up to the game developers to use the function. Same goes for pictures and videos

That's not very accurate. The PS3 has a background music function burried in its API there for developers to use if they want to activate it. This makes it like the original Xbox in that regard and is the reason the feature only showed up in racing games mostly. The 360, on the otherhand, has it's background muisc function hardwired into its UI, enabling music replacement in any game you purchase. Two very different things.

Someone needs to whip these lazy asses into shape for not including that functionality from day one. Kaz, get the whip.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Oh my god actual people work on PS3 instead of faceless robots! FINALLY we get an interview with real human beings. This article is cool

Lain

I hope they'll add support for .MKV and expanded support for the other H264 profiles in the future.

B-Ri

TheRipDizz said:
Question:
Linking to games, the 360 has a feature to allow music in the HDD and network to be played back as game BGM.

Kanehide:
PS3 already has such function in the system software. It is up to the game developers to use the function. Same goes for pictures and videos

That's not very accurate. The PS3 has a background music function burried in its API there for developers to use if they want to activate it. This makes it like the original Xbox in that regard and is the reason the feature only showed up in racing games mostly. The 360, on the otherhand, has it's background muisc function hardwired into its UI, enabling music replacement in any game you purchase. Two very different things.

Someone needs to whip these lazy asses into shape for not including that functionality from day one. Kaz, get the whip.

LOL at "the importance of custom soundtrack". I use sound track for burnout, and thats about it.

Last thing i need is the killers or bloc party ruining the mood of oblivion.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I wish they would quit dicking around and figure out a way to upconvert 720p games to 1080i, rather than down converting them to 480p, for those of us who bought our HD sets in the prehistoric technology days of the early 2000's. JEEZUS, they can work to cure cancer, but can't update my friggin' game output to 1080i? JEEZUS!!!

Raistlin

spwolf said:
It just seems that they didnt set some ordinary limits on what they have to do and move on - they are free to do best they can.

To be honest, it sounds like they practically have a dream job.

They are working with HW that is far less limiting than most ... and they appear to have the freedom to do whatever they want. Obviously, Sony is setting priorities for certain needed features ... but it sounds like they can attach practically anything to these updates as a side project.

Firewire said:
K is it me or does it seem the PS3 is constantly improving and the 360 has been basically the same tech for almost 2yrs now? All the things that made the 360 better are eroding away at a near alarming rate as Sony seems to be ever improving and looking beyond what the 360 can currently do!
what.gif

Raistlin

tekumseh said:
I wish they would quit dicking around and figure out a way to upconvert 720p games to 1080i, rather than down converting them to 480p, for those of us who bought our HD sets in the prehistoric technology days of the early 2000's. JEEZUS, they can work to cure cancer, but can't update my friggin' game output to 1080i? JEEZUS!!!

That is part of the current SDK, but devs need to actively use it. Unless games that currently don't support it can be patched, I don't know that this can be fixed (at this point, the HW scaler is not fully 'functional').

These guys are working on the UI. You need HW scaling for PS3 games ... they can't just offer some sort of SW one. There aren't enough available resources for that.

tekumseh said:

It's not up to them, it's up to developers.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/16/

Virtua Fighter 5 was one of the first games to make use of the scaler.

B-Ri said:
LOL at "the importance of custom soundtrack". I use sound track for burnout, and thats about it.

Last thing i need is the killers or bloc party ruining the mood of oblivion.
It's indespensile running around with a buddy in co-op games like Rainbow Six LV or Crackdown for starters. Not to mention finding perfect soundtracks to trance out in games like Geometry Wars and such.
LOL at "great music is completely disposable in games" mentality. :p

B-Ri

TheRipDizz said:
It's indespensile running around with a buddy in co-op games like Rainbow Six LV or Crackdown for starters. Not to mention finding perfect soundtracks to trance out in games like Geometry Wars and such.

LOL at "importance of custom soundtrack"

I can understand crackdown, and geometry wars, but R6 is definately not a game id be throwing music over on.

Developers have access to it, its not like sony is shutting them out like microsoft is with mods.

ascii42

TheRipDizz said:

A friend of mine and I played Full Auto from 12 AM to 6 AM one time. Somewhere in the middle we had the idea of playing Dragonforce. That was awesome.

One of these days I'll get around to picking up Full Auto 2.

B-Ri said:
LOL at "importance of custom soundtrack"

I can understand crackdown, and geometry wars, but R6 is definately not a game id be throwing music over on.
Developers have access to it, its not like sony is shutting them out like microsoft is with mods.
It depends. Am I going to have music playing while I'm trying to go through the story, messing with the game's presentation? Hell no. Do I want something to listen to trying to beat a map on terroist hunt for the upteenth time online with a buddy? You bet your ass! The option is ultimatly key here, no question.

"Developers have access to it, its not like sony is shutting them out like microsoft is with mods"

F*** that shit. I want access to it Sony!

LOL at "music is completely disposable in games" mentality.

Norse

Firewire said:
K is it me or does it seem the PS3 is constantly improving and the 360 has been basically the same tech for almost 2yrs now? All the things that made the 360 better are eroding away at a near alarming rate as Sony seems to be ever improving and looking beyond what the 360 can currently do!

good lord, you are as clueless as one can get.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Zoe said:
That's assuming that most users have the systems hooked up to a receiver. I don't think that's an assumption you can make for the average user...
There's a good chance that anyone that wants to use the PS3 as a standalone music player would though. And on top of everytthing else they've already built into the firmware to make the PS3 a perfectly viable music player, my idea would be a very minor update in comparison.

Or they could expand the Remote Play feature to allow you to choose to either simply control the play of media on the PS3 or stream to the PSP as it currently does. Either one would work for me.

TheRipDizz said:
That's not very accurate. The PS3 has a background music function burried in its API there for developers to use if they want to activate it.
What they said was no different from what you said, allowing for translation differences.

disc

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
It depends. Am I going to have music playing while I'm trying to go through the story, messing with the game's presentation? Hell no. Do I want something to listen to trying to beat a map on terroist hunt for the upteenth time online with a buddy? You bet your ass! The option is ultimatly key here, no question.

"Developers have access to it, its not like sony is shutting them out like microsoft is with mods"

F*** that shit. I want access to it Sony!

LOL at "music is completely disposable in games" mentality.

Are you allowed to switch the music in Guitar Hero 2?

Sony has a long list of these type of games.

disc said:

What in the DANG?

I play GHII on the 360 and I've managed to avoid the urge to switch to a custom soundtrack. You know, so I don't completely jack my entire score to heck.

Yeesh, dude. It's there if you want it, across the board, whatever you're doing, and that's how custom soundtracks ought to work.

evolution

I agree they should be accross the board, but i don't like how it plays constantly whether im in-game or just in the menus. Custom music during gameplay is all thats needed for me

I just can't believe how good these firmware updates have been. From an AV enthusiast perspective.

I never thought we'd get 1080p24, let alone so soon.

The PS3 sure is a great multi-media device. We use it for CDs, MP3s, DVD, Blu-Ray, Internet, photo album and games!

My wife was asking me yesterday if we could use it for video calls with her parents for the kids. I said sure, but her parents would have to get a PS3 too. That will never happen.

The only minor improvement I would like is the photo view to have a random option. All the other upgrades seem to be covered with the leaked feature list for FW2.00.

Any one else notice that when you activate remote play you can't turn off the sixaxis. A small overcite I'm sure they will fix. I've been playing about with remote access a lot in preparation for our summer family holiday. I plan to stream MP4 movies to my PSP on demand for my kids, should give them a lot more choice. That's the theory at least.

kaching said:
What they said was no different from what you said, allowing for translation differences.
That's correct. I was restating there for reference. My point was refering to the fact that the interviewer specifically asked them if they were going to implement background music like the 360. One of those guys said it was already incorporated, insinuating that it was already like the 360, which it is deffinately not.

Kinan

Nick Laslett said:
Any one else notice that when you activate remote play you can't turn off the sixaxis. A small overcite I'm sure they will fix.

Actually, problem is that Sixaxis does not have "auto switching off on inactivity" function at all, at least as far as I see. Its actually pretty bad if you have a habit to leave your PS3 running overnight with folding, if you forget to switch off your controller, you'll need to charge it much more often.
Bluetooth remote, on the other hand, switching off perfectly fine, but that was kinda necessity, cause its battery powered.
Hopefully they will fix it soon as well, it will also solve the problem you mentioned above.

DrXym

disc said:

What has Sony got to do with what GH2 does or does not do? Especially since there is no GH2 for the PS3.

Raist

Banned
Q.
Right now, output from the GS (PS2 graphics chip) is upconverted. Can the GS output higher resolution by itself?

K1
Currently, the upconverion is done at the final stage of the output. For PS2 software, it would be difficult to increase the resolution natively. PS1 is a different matter, since it is software emulation.

Wait a minute, that means that PS1 game are not upscaled but rendered in a higher resolution ? oO

So that should mean that once they get rid of the GS and go for 100% software emulation for PS2 titles, there's a possibility to natively render PS2 games at higher resolution too ? D:

Awesome read also, thanks =)

Edit :

Q.
Your intention for remote play is to make people play outside the home?

K1
Yes. There are SDKs out to allow game developers to integrate remote play into their games, so it is a matter of time before such games arrive.

:eek:

Aaron

evolution said:
I agree they should be accross the board, but i don't like how it plays constantly whether im in-game or just in the menus. Custom music during gameplay is all thats needed for me
Developers can control how custom soundtracks work in games. It's just most leave it alone, so it plays all the time. It can be paused during menus or cut-scenes, or it can be disabled completely. I don't use it very often myself, but it's nice to have.

Top Bottom