• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Tard pack = No wifi + No HDMI + No MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Pimpbaa said:
Is everyone sure the "tard pack" version lacks the HDMI port? Maybe they just include the cable the 600 buck version. Doesn't make sense to not include the port on one as it would just increase manufacturing costs having to make 2 versions. 499 for bare bones version and 599 for all the accessories (including HDMI cable). Not like I care either way, at those prices sony can kiss my ass.

As long as the $600 version includes the HDMI cable then I am ok with it because that cable at stores will run you $50 by itself.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pimpbaa said:
Is everyone sure the "tard pack" version lacks the HDMI port? Maybe they just include the cable the 600 buck version. Doesn't make sense to not include the port on one as it would just increase manufacturing costs having to make 2 versions. 499 for bare bones version and 599 for all the accessories (including HDMI cable). Not like I care either way, at those prices sony can kiss my ass.
There are definitely two different versions:
7.jpg

PhatSaqs

Banned
ijm72 said:
Vindication 101!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61240
J Allard said:
think Sony's talked a lot more than they've shown, and it's hard to line-up their claims versus Spring 06 and working out how they're going to get there. It's very ambitious. I still can't buy a 1080p television set in the US, let alone two of them to enjoy it! I don't have Gigabit Ethernet in my home, so I can't enjoy that, and they don't have vent holes on the side of their console yet so that air can flow through those very very powerful chips, so it still feels like they have a lot of work to do. They have nice movies though! Very nice movies!

Pimpbaa said:
The above pictures don't lie. No HDMI on the 'tard pack.

ijm72

Pimpbaa said:
Just look at the 2 pictures in my post. In the picture from last year you can clearly see 2 hdmi out ports and in this years picture there isnt one.

MetalAlien

Banned
Pimpbaa said:

The PDF clearly says it's not supported.. it's in graph form.

Diablos

I can't believe for $500 how gimped of a conosle you will get.

This is just unbelievable. If this actually succeeds, Sony will have ripped off countless gamers and redefined what is to be expected when a new console is released.

So so so gimped for $500. For $400, I wouldn't have complained.

mug

What the hell is the point of putting HDMI on that shit anyway?! Although it's necessary in order to produce 1080p - correct? I'd imagine that the development for that in order to get it to run at a stable rate would be a bit pricey.

OatmealMu

So, has a company dominated the console market for 3 generations in a row yet? Looks like that won't be happenining anytime soon.

Diablos

OatmealMu said:
So, has a company dominated the console market for 3 generations in a row yet? Looks like that won't be happenining anytime soon.
That's what I was thinking.

And if I get the $500 PS3, how am I gonna transfer my PS2 saves? Hell, how am I even going to use them? Is PS2 emulation on PS3 even programmed to address hard drive space as a virtual memory card?

MetalAlien

Banned
mug said:
What the hell is the point of putting HDMI on that shit anyway?! Although it's necessary in order to produce 1080p - correct? I'd imagine that the development for that in order to get it to run at a stable rate would be a bit pricey.

While you don't need it to support 1080p per say, blu ray and HD dvd have intentions of restricting 1080p to hdmi only... in time...

TVs that support 1080p do so through hdmi. I'm still looking for a TV that supports 1080p through component.

Shawn128

I'm sorry, but just feel like this is a gigantic fuck up on Sony's part....I mean really, for how many people did the PS3 just get out of reach because of this?

Microsoft is probably gunna price drop the 360 this christmas, Wii will be $250, for the price of one PS3 you could get a 360 and Wii.

Pimpbaa

MetalAlien said:
The PDF clearly says it's not supported.. it's in graph form.

Yes, I see now. For the amount of crap gutted out, should have been more than 100 bucks difference :(

I could of sworn Sony stated that they were not going to do two SKU's. I can't believe this. This has got to be arguably the most moronic move in the history of gaming. All you had to do is annoucne a reasonable price and you could of had the competition under your feet. I was afraid that Sony would get too arrogant for their own good and they would announce an unreasonable price since they were the king of the mountain. Now they just priced themselves out od the industry. Congratulation guys. I hope you are proud of yourselves for giving the next generation away to Nintendo and Microsoft.

aaaaa0

Rhazer Fusion said:
I could of sworn Sony stated that they were not going to do two SKU's. I can't believe this. This has got to be arguably the most moronic move in the history of gaming. All you had to do is annoucne a reasonable price and you could of had the competition under your feet. I was afraid that Sony would get too arrogant for their own good and they would announce an unreasonable price since they were the king of the mountain. Now they just priced themselves out od the industry. Congratulation guys. I hope you are proud of yourselves for giving the next generation away to Nintendo and Microsoft.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11209

Phil Harrison has criticised Microsoft for planning to put two versions of the new Xbox 360 console on the market, claiming the decision will merely "create confusion" for consumers.

[...]

Speaking at the European Game Developers' Conference in London today, when asked if Sony might follow in the Redwood giant's footsteps the VP of studios replied: "Unlikely."

"Are there two versions of the Xbox 360 that people want to buy, is my question," he continued. "I don't know."

"This is my personal view, not my corporate view, but when I look at those formats, I think it just confuses the audience. They don't know which one to buy, developers don't know which one to create for, and retailers don't know which one to stock."

"So I think we wouldn't take that strategy. We wouldn't create confusion," he concluded.

DOH!

squicken

At the beginning of the presentation, Kaz mentioned Dolby Digital. Does that mean anything with regards to next-gen audio formats? Lossless HD-audio?

MetalAlien said:
Super Audio CD. A dead music format.

I know, (my DVD player plays those, they are pretty neat, but too expensive), but why x2 speed?

squicken said:
At the beginning of the presentation, Kaz mentioned Dolby Digital. Does that mean anything with regards to next-gen audio formats? Lossless HD-audio?

DD is compressed and not lossless.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think any way that Sony went with this people would still complain.

people complained to death about how there's all those extra things like "memory card readers" and "7 controllers" and how they should take them out to reduce the price, but then when they do, its kind of like....it doesn't even matter that they did.

The games play the same, every ps3 has a hard drive...the price might (and does) suck, but that's why they're supporting hte PS2 for so much longer.

I'm going to have to wait a couple years to take the PS3 dive, i think.

sangreal

Rhazer Fusion said:
I could of sworn Sony stated that they were not going to do two SKU's.

Amusingly, so did Microsoft.

So just one configuration is targeted for the Holiday release?

Ballmer: Yeah, given that we know we’re going to have to hustle to produce all that people are going to want, that kind of keeps life a lot simpler for the retailers. If you said, “Look we’re coming to market with three configurations, and we were in short supply, and we got the wrong mix of configurations,” it would just compound all the problems. We’re really quite excited about the proposition for having just the one configuration in market particularly for this holiday.

xabre

Banned
lol they've even got a button in the middle of that controller ala Xbox360's X dashboard button. Fucking pathetic company Sony.

xsarien

daedsiluap
xabre said:
lol they've even got a button in the middle of that controller ala Xbox360's X dashboard button. Fucking pathetic company Sony.

Why yes, that truly is the most obscene aspect of the PS3. You've really got your finger on the pulse of the average gamer!

lachesis

Only way I might settle for the Tard pack is that it will allow the viewers to see the Blu Ray movies in HD with component cables - at least 720p. Then again, I want my PS3 be wireless... and have shit load of Memorystick compatible stuff in my household as well as an HDTV, it's almost a given that I'll have to shell out 600.

Well, if I start saving now, 100 dollars each month till november, I would have enough money to buy the console and a game.

sigh. Nice move, Sony. :(

squicken

Halcyon said:
Dolby TrueHD is lossless, and PS3 already supports it as a result of the Blu-ray spec.
That's why I was confused. The HD-DVD players on the market don't support the next gen audio, and that is also part of the HD-DVD spec. So I was wondering if it's something that can be added later, or even needs to be added.

MetalAlien

Banned
lachesis said:
Only way I might settle for the Tard pack is that it will allow the viewers to see the Blu Ray movies in HD with component cables - at least 720p. Then again, I want my PS3 be wireless... and have shit load of Memorystick compatible stuff in my household as well as an HDTV, it's almost a given that I'll have to shell out 600.

Well, if I start saving now, 100 dollars each month till november, I would have enough money to buy the console and a game.

sigh. Nice move, Sony. :(

I actually never planned on using HDMI.. my TV and pro jo are 720p... even with the 600 dollar version I'll only use it if HD blu ray through component will not be allowed.

xabre

Banned
xsarien said:
Why yes, that truly is the most obscene aspect of the PS3.

Just one thing amongst many. It just shows the sort of fucking rip off this company is. I hope they fail, not an innovative bone in the company. Fuck 'em.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
xabre said:
Just one thing amongst many. It just shows the sort of fucking rip off this company is. I hope they fail, not an innovative bone in the company. Fuck 'em.

I take it your a nintendo fan, cause microsoft sure as hell does not innovate

Top Bottom