• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 2.50 FW, PS Vita 3.50 FW updates are up

Just a heads up, I tried suspend/resume with GTAV and for some reason it decided to delete the game from my hard drive. Haven't seen anyone else mention this issue so going to assume I'm unlucky and it isn't a common bug.

Jesus Christ. You really complaining about one more button press?
Its. Simple human computer interaction. Every additional click for the user adds frustration and makes the experience more clunky. Additional layers on top of what wasn't great to begin with (compared to the pp3) is just bad interface design. Even worse, they did it to a group who are less likely to use suspend / resume - because of suspend resume, adding to the annoyance. To appease one group, another gets a worse experience.

bombshell

Yeah I liked it better on the top bar.

Anything that moves my current game farther away from the first spot is bad.

Pressing the PS button from ANYWHERE in the OS still brings you to the first icon to the right of What's New, which typically would be your currently running game / last played game.

I don't see the big deal.

PSA: if you find yourself experiencing "black crush" after the update, check your video output settings and make sure they're all set to "automatic." I had mine manually set to 1080p/RGB Limited before because that's what gave me accurate colors, but on the new FW those settings gave me Xbone-style black crush. After switching everything to automatic and rebooting I'm back to normal.
Seriously?

So the big thread we have here on GAF about PS4's RGB settings being faulted is useless now finally?

I can change it back to automatic and ill be g2g?

driver116

Just a heads up, I tried suspend/resume with GTAV and for some reason it decided to delete the game from my hard drive. Haven't seen anyone else mention this issue so going to assume I'm unlucky and it isn't a common bug.

That sucks. It's like a 45min install too.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Its. Simple human computer interaction. Every additional click for the user adds frustration and makes the experience more clunky. Additional layers on top of what wasn't great to begin with (compared to the pp3) is just bad interface design. Even worse, they did it to a group who are less likely to use suspend / resume - because of suspend resume, adding to the annoyance. To appease one group, another gets a worse experience.
No. They are appeasing both groups. They optimized to what is your common use scenario.

If you generally do not want rest mode, then you disable rest mode functionality and the option will say "Power Off."
If you set Rest Mode functionality the option will say "Put into Rest Mode."

I guess one can complain that if they switch every other time between the modes they aren't being catered to. At that point I would just give up on the system to save the headache.

Tambini

Ps4 just turned off suddenly while loading in Bloodborne about half an hour after I did the update Don't really know what happened because I was doing something else while it was on the load screen (cus they take ages amirite) then I looked back and the ps4 was just completely off.

Turned it back on and it did the system check, seems okay and thankfully my save game is fine. Could of been a problem with Bloodborne not the ps4 firmware though

Tried suspend/resume for the first time with Bloodborne: Went into rest mode, turned it back on, shows the Bloodborne start screen, PS4 turns off. I turn it back on and it needs to check it's memory.
Off to a great start I guess.

Edit: Second try kinda worked. It said I lost network connection and need to return to the title screen. That's not how I expect all this to work...

FranXico

Already posted in the PSV FW thread, but might as well remind people about the Vita accessibility options here.

New PSVita Accessibility menu:

- Zoom (enable/disable): Press PS+square to zoom into the current image. When in zooming mode, press circle to exit.
- Invert Colours
- Larger Text
- Bold Text
- High Contrast (Adjust text and background colours for high contrast)
- Closed Captions (enable/disable globally for all content that supports it)
- (Customize) Button Assignments: Yes, exactly the same new feature as the PS4.
- Add to Quick Menu: Adds a shortcut to the Accessibility menu to the quick menu (the one that shows up when you hold PS button).

What behavior are you seeing with digital vs. disc based?

I just tried a few different games and they all seem to work the same.
I'm talking purely PS4 system level wise. The various games handle losing network connectivity differently.

it might be my drive but when resume i can hear a sound as if it's resuming reading ( the disc ) before i can play as normal ( it's 1 sec top where my console is frozen ) i don't have that on the digital games i've tried.
Thinking about it it's probably a check to see if i've still the disc in my drive.

Feels good to be able to run and dodge in Bloodborne while moving the camera. Unfortunately, button mapping stops being useful the minute you start changing X and O. Navigating menus or the console interface becomes so annoying.

Add accessibility option to PS button menu, hold PS button>Accessibility>Turn off Custom Buttons when using PS4 UI or playing other games.

plainr_

For those that care about such things. PS4 firmware:

Rest mode with these settings now has an electricity usage cost of 4.5 Watt:
  • Supply Power to USB Ports: Disabled
  • Stay Connected to the Internet: Enabled
    - Enable Turning On PS4 From Network: Enabled
  • Keep Application Suspended: Enabled

"Keep Application Suspended" set to Disabled makes Rest mode have an electricity usage cost of 3 Watt, as it was before the Firmware update.

The new Application Suspend functionality costs an additional 1.5 Watt.

That's pretty good. I will never fully shut down again.

PreFire

Installing update. Wish me luck

Also, dislike the extra prompt when turning off the console. It's one more button press but when you're used to doing it that way while on a different hdmi input, it's a pain.

ToD_

I had about two minutes to try out the 60fps remote play this morning before leaving to work. The framerate was certainly higher than 30fps, but it did not look smooth at all. It seemed roughly like a game playing around 45fps on a 60hz monitor. Input lag was noticeable as well - don't think it's worse, but not sure if it felt improved either.

I used a direct connection to the PS4 with a distance of about 10ft without obstructions. The game I tried was Guilty Gear Xrd Sign. I will do further testing later and hope to get better results at that point.

PreFire

Just updated. Mine came with "Keep Application Suspended" enabled by default.

Idk why OP and other users had to enable it.

glaurung

Why would anyone want to change the button configurations? What's the point?
Oh, personal preference mostly.

In ye olden times, PS1 and PS2 (maybe even PS3) in Japan had Circle as the confirm button and Cross as the cancel/back button.

This also made sense since the face buttons are associated with numeric values based on how many lines they have.

SerTapTap

Why would anyone want to change the button configurations? What's the point?

People with one hand, limited dexterity or reaction times. Also some people will use it just to override annoying control schemes in games. I wish every game had a proper control map but this is a good start.

noomi

Not sure if it's just me or maybe a placebo effect but I noticed that navigating in the menu now it much smoother, before I would get slowdowns/lag when changing from left to right, like butter now!

Just_one

21 games off my Trophy list!!!

now THAT felt awesome :)

any workaround for the games that i delete dont show up on vita and Ps3? or is it impossible at this time

bombshell

I had about two minutes to try out the 60fps remote play this morning before leaving to work. The framerate was certainly higher than 30fps, but it did not look smooth at all. It seemed roughly like a game playing around 45fps on a 60hz monitor. Input lag was noticeable as well - don't think it's worse, but not sure if it felt improved either.

I used a direct connection to the PS4 with a distance of about 10ft without obstructions. The game I tried was Guilty Gear Xrd Sign. I will do further testing later and hope to get better results at that point.

Just to confirm, did you change the quality setting to "high" on the Vita in the link app?

Just updated. Mine came with "Keep Application Suspended" enabled by default.

Idk why OP and other users had to enable it.

Looks like it's off in EU (because of regulations probably) and on in US.

vg260

It's a shame we'll never get all the gold skins in Vita UMvC3 since they locked those behind the Near function.

molnizzle

Seriously?

So the big thread we have here on GAF about PS4's RGB settings being faulted is useless now finally?

I can change it back to automatic and ill be g2g?

It would seem that way. I had to change everything back to automatic to get rid of the black crush after the update.

Top Bottom