• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 2.50 FW, PS Vita 3.50 FW updates are up

ParityBit

Its the SSD cache it has, it stores the most frequently accessed files in there so some bloodborne files would get moved in to it for example with it having to loading the same place after each death.

Also I think the bigger the drive the faster it is (1TB 5400RPM will be faster than 500GB 5400RPM drive).

I am going to pick up the SSHD I think. $77 is cheap.

Do you have a link to the best directions to follow with doing the swap?

SMZC

Feels good to be able to run and dodge in Bloodborne while moving the camera. Unfortunately, button mapping stops being useful the minute you start changing X and O. Navigating menus or the console interface becomes so annoying.

is anyone having any issues with the firmware.. i think it broke the video signal on my ps4.

updated fine, upon reboot it's unable to get a video feed. I just get a flickering as the screen goes black trying to load into the signal.

DieH@rd

Banned
FUCKING WIN. PS4 boots quickly into OS even if there is not game suspended. Previously, suspend mode booted itself for a minute. Now it's just few seconds. :D

is anyone having any issues with the firmware.. i think it broke the video signal on my ps4.

updated fine, upon reboot it's unable to get a video feed. I just get a flickering as the screen goes black trying to load into the signal.

Boot PS4 by pressing power button for ~7 seconds until you hear 2 beeps. In the Safe Mode you will have options to force PS4 to boot once in 480p resolution, which would be compatible with every display.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I see the character standing, and immediately after the connection lost message appear.
Very strange. I just tried waiting 30 minutes after putting it in suspend (from Online Mode) and could immediately continue.

Anyway to get rid of ps now icon on main bar?
If you use other things it will lose its placement due to the way recency influences the icon placement.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Not sure why people are saying online doesn't work with Bloodborne suspent/resume. It absolutely does.

Holy shit 7 hours?! How much data are you saving mine is about 400GB filled at the moment. I could delete old disc installs I guess.... would this also delete patch data though?

7 HOURS!?

*edit*

I am using a USB 3.0 external HD though.... so maybe a bit faster I would hope...

Yep, 3 hours still to go for me and that was on 366gb. Mind you, presumably this will take just as long to copy back onto the new drive too.

Oh well, it's meant I've fired up the Wii U for the first time in a while

kriskrosbbk

Just played a round of COD:AW on the Vita using the 60fps mode.
Man I wish Declassified would run like that lol
This update is osm.

bombshell

Wut.

Probably already mentioned, but I only followed the thread the first few pages.

I'm downloading Bloodborne and the background download portion now shows up in the download notification area as "Application Data" after the first 5 GB has been downloaded.

Finally we can pause background downloads!

DSix

Banned
Very strange. I just tried waiting 30 minutes after putting it in suspend (from Online Mode) and could immediately continue.

It might be that my router is a bit too slow at picking up the console connection, and Bb wants it like right away.

Kudo

Sorry if already mentioned but!

"If any rest mode functions are turned on, [Enter Rest Mode] is displayed in the quick menu and on the [Power] screen.

When all rest mode functions are turned off, [Turn Off PS4] is displayed instead."

Just thought people who prefer shutting it down would like to know this too.

ParityBit

FranXico

Wut.

Probably already mentioned, but I only followed the thread the first few pages.

I'm downloading Bloodborne and the background download portion now shows up in the download notification area as "Application Data" after the first 5 GB has been downloaded.

Finally we can pause background downloads!

That actually is a big deal. I see Sony is continuing with their tradition of not announcing all the new firmware features.

I can't try the PS4 firmware yet because I am away for holidays at the moment. Upgrading Vita as we speak!

molnizzle

PSA: if you find yourself experiencing "black crush" after the update, check your video output settings and make sure they're all set to "automatic." I had mine manually set to 1080p/RGB Limited before because that's what gave me accurate colors, but on the new FW those settings gave me Xbone-style black crush. After switching everything to automatic and rebooting I'm back to normal.

sun-drop

I am shocked how fast resume is ...from suspect to driving around in GTA in less time I usually tooknto boot to the ps4 menu.....Christ

And finally the option to install updates while in suspend. Not just download. Awesome

Menaged

Nah I severely doubt you'd cause any issues to your PS4. Suspend/Resume was built with the idea of being away from your console for even longer than 12 hours.

Electric bill is your only concern and even that is minuscule ;)

Thanks!
I tried it a bit with Diablo III, and it's amazing.
It takes the same amount of time to resume a game as it takes for my TV to turn on.

I didn't change any settings in the power options and tried the suspend/resume feature. Took less than 15 seconds to get back into my Bloodborne game. Had to go to work so I haven't seen what my settings are, but it seemed awfully quick!

Jingo

Do you have to pause the game or the console does that automatic when you rest mode? Cause i can see rest mode changing the finishing time of a game to much more :D

barit

New update is amazing. Everything is so smooth and fast. And I noticed a little nice new touch too. When you boot from suspend into the game you have now a blue bar on the top that shows you the upper part of the XMB like friends, notifications, clock and so on. Hope Sony expands this for messages and trophies. It's great when such smaller infos get laid over the main screen without the need to switch completely back to XMB.

Do you have to pause the game or the console does that automatic when you rest mode? Cause i can see rest mode changing the finishing time of a game to much more :D

I was on Bloodborne and retreated into the Hunter's Dream before putting it in standby. I imagine it pauses most games though.

gruenel

So... according to the 4.5W measurement posted here, suspend/resume will cost me an absolute maximum of about 10€ p.a. if I leave the console suspended for the whole year. (4.5W * 24h * 365 = 39420Wh; 39.42kWh * 0.25€/kWh = 9.855€).

Not even 1€ per month. Totally worth it.

I'm honestly a little disappointed in this update. Suspend/resume is nice (mostly just the quicker resume for me), but there's really not much else there in my daily use of the console. I was really hoping for better copy functionality of save data. It's currently an incredibly monotonous process and necessary because of the 1gb cloud storage limit. Although they did fix the issue with slow speed of copying large files to usb. For some reason my LPB3 save used to take nearly an hour to copy to my USB stick but is now down to about 20 seconds.

bombshell

So I have a new HD coming. How would I best go about putting it in with these new changes? The PS update page was not ...... updated.

Use the backup utility in the PS4 settings to backup all your data to an external HDD.

Switch out the internal HDD.

Then I would imagine you'll get an option to restore your data when booting up on the new HDD.

Top Bottom